Author Topic: I quit smoking yeseturday.  (Read 3100 times)

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
Re: I quit smoking yeseturday.
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
Relevant: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/04/20/151034356/exercising-even-a-little-bit-makes-it-easier-for-smokers-to-quit?sc=fb&cc=fmp

Some times I don't know what to do with myself. I'm a sales man. I'm the only one in the office who does not smoke. High pressure sales. This sucks.
Statistically, those who run regularly (yes, exercise) have an extremely high probability of quitting smoking. 100% of those that pick up running regularly at least reduce their smoking a great deal.

If you plan on staying smoke-free, I'd recommend picking up running. You have to stick with it, though, obviously.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Synthesis

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
It's not implausible to suggest that people who have the determination and self-control to force themselves to run regularly (or exercise, or whatever) are more likely to be able to quit smoking because of their personality traits, not because running helps with anything in particular.

If that's the case, then suggesting that people who aren't fond of running pick it up de novo isn't likely to be helpful. Also, news reports that only include relative risk reductions are basically useless.  If you're 55% more likely to quit, but the base likelihood is only 10%...going from 10% to 15.5% isn't much of a change.

Finally, there are heaps of socioeconomic and physiologic factors that surround "regular exercise" that completely confound well-meaning attempts to offer people advice about it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »
Everyone should be exercising regularly!
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Akaramu

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »
How's it going?

DEMAND UPDATE.  8)