Author Topic: I quit smoking yeseturday.  (Read 3103 times)

Adj

I quit smoking yeseturday.
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:37:28 AM »
Some times I don't know what to do with myself. I'm a sales man. I'm the only one in the office who does not smoke. High pressure sales. This sucks.

lordcooper

Re: I quit smoking yeseturday.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:40:35 AM »
Good luck dude :)
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 05:50:30 AM »
Good luck.

Akaramu

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:27:08 AM »
Good luck! YOU CAN DO IT!

(You've achieved more impossible feats in Armageddon. This will be nothing.)  :D

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »
Some times I don't know what to do with myself. I'm a sales man. I'm the only one in the office who does not smoke. High pressure sales. This sucks.
Statistically, those who run regularly (yes, exercise) have an extremely high probability of quitting smoking. 100% of those that pick up running regularly at least reduce their smoking a great deal.

If you plan on staying smoke-free, I'd recommend picking up running. You have to stick with it, though, obviously.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Schrodingers Cat

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:54:01 PM »
The only thing you have complete control over in this world is yourself.  You can do this.  Good luck!

Culinary Critic

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
This won't help much for the first while...

I quit about 6 years ago after smoking for over 20 years.  I gained 20 pounds in the first six months and accepted it as the cost of quitting (since lost plus another 25).

I have not felt this good since I was a teenager.  I look back at how I felt when I smoked, waking up with the wheezes, reaching for the smokes before my hand hit the alarm clock, standing out in the snow and cold to get my fix...damn.  I tried at least ten times before I made it, sheer will power, no drugs. 

It was worth it.

Accept that your life will be shit and you will suffer and hate yourself, your mate, your family, your car, your job, your friends, your clothes and everything that you meet for the next short while.  It will be over soon and you will be a much happier person...eventually.

jstorrie

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »
Nobody likes a quitter.

drunkendwarf

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 02:16:23 AM »
I smoked a packed a day for 5 or 6 years. I tried multiple times to quit smoking. I haven't had so much as a cigarette in over 10 years now.
What worked for me:
Distance yourself completely for anyone else who smokes. If you have roommates that smoke, move out. If you work at a bar that you can smoke in, quit. Do whatever you need to do to get away from it - if you're really that serious about quitting.
I also bought a dugout (one of those little pipes that looks like a cigarette, but you smoke weed with it.) I smoked an insane amount of weed for several months through that thing after quitting. Gradually, my pot intake lessened but man, I tore through the shit for the first half a year or so.
I agree with what a few others have said - it does get better. Unfortunately, it may take a few years for it to really sink in but holy shit, it's awesome to be smoke free for so long after having struggled multiple times to quit for several years. My lungs finally like me again.

Malken

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 03:44:06 AM »
I don't smoke and I never will, but lately I've seen these commercials on tv that totally freaks me out, so bad that I need to change the channel when I see them.. One of them is a woman that, I think, had lung cancer caused by smoking and she pretty much tells the viewer how she gets ready every mornings.. I think she has this huge scar on her throat all the way to her mouth, she speaks in a really harsh voice and she needs to put on a wig... The other one is of a guy that's in the shower and he had or still has some disease caused by smoking for years, as well, but I never got to see that one because I changed the channel as quickly as I could, since they were only showing half of his face, so I'm thinking something real bad happened to him as well..

So yeah, if you're trying to quit smoking, watch these commercials, they'll creep the cigarette and will to smoke out of you.

Oh, I found the commercial of that woman I'm talking about, Christ, it's creepy..

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/stories/terrie.html
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

lordcooper

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 04:35:29 AM »
I'm not really the best person to be giving advice (I've failed to quit on a few occasions) but distractions seem to help quite a lot.  When the urge hits, do something pleasurable to take your mind off it.  Eat some chocolate, make a cup of tea/coffee, have a wank, work out.  Anything to shift your mind's focus.

Akaramu

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 04:37:04 AM »
The thing I would do, if I was serious about it (even though I've never smoked), would be to book a trip to some remote location, perhaps a husky farm in Canada, and simply stay there for a couple weeks without any cigs nor shops to buy them anywhere in sight.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:37:32 AM by Akaramu »

Yam

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
The only thing you have complete control over in this world is yourself.  You can do this.  Good luck!

This is rarely true.

If you plan on staying smoke-free, I'd recommend picking up running. You have to stick with it, though, obviously.

This is pretty true.

What are you doing to train for the Spartan race thingy? I think IsFriday made an exercise thread here a while ago.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:04:33 AM by Yam »

Kismetic

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »
I also bought a dugout (one of those little pipes that looks like a cigarette, but you smoke weed with it.) I smoked an insane amount of weed for several months through that thing after quitting. Gradually, my pot intake lessened but man, I tore through the shit for the first half a year or so.

This is my new strategy, because I noticed I want to smoke less cigs as I smoke more pot.  It's at odds, though, because I was hoping to quit the pot, too.  But, as everyone else has told me ...  "Don't quit them both at the same time."  I'll take that advice.  Also, I have a duggy, it's the wood container the pipe goes inside of, though.  I feel like a crackhead smoking a metal pipe, but whatever, I can smoke it wherever.
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

drunkendwarf

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 12:01:10 PM »

This is my new strategy, because I noticed I want to smoke less cigs as I smoke more pot.  It's at odds, though, because I was hoping to quit the pot, too.  But, as everyone else has told me ...  "Don't quit them both at the same time."  I'll take that advice.  Also, I have a duggy, it's the wood container the pipe goes inside of, though.  I feel like a crackhead smoking a metal pipe, but whatever, I can smoke it wherever.

Yeah, concentrate on quitting the smokes. The pot is a HELL of a lot easier to phase out once the cigarette addiction is dealt with. Forge ahead. Smoke as much pot as you need to do prevent a cigarette from making its way to your lips. Trust me - the pot will be NOTHING compared to the cigarettes when it comes time to ease back.

I went out last night to drink with my roommate. pitcher of beer I drank by myself. two bloody marys (really good spicy ones) and another MEGA pitcher split and I watched my roomate smoke cig after cig after cig. It was /killing me/ but I managed to resist it. I don't feel good having resisted it, but I don't feel BAD like would have I given in.

Dude. This early on...seriously. Don't be around it. At all. Stay inside the damn bar when you're friend steps out for a smoke. Ask him not to smoke around you - if he puts up a fuss he isn't much of a friend. Tell him how hard of a time you're having and ask him to help by the simple act of keeping it away from you.
For me, I found it really was more of an oral fixation that anything - that's why the dugout/pot combo helped a ton. Maybe gum? Toothpicks?

Lizzie

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
Ask your doctor if you're a good candidate for Chantix. It blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain. That means, it eliminates all withdrawal symptoms, because it - metaphorically speaking - makes your brain forget you're addicted in the first place.

That way, you only have to work on the *habit* of smoking, and not have to worry about the *addiction* to nicotine. It's not for everyone though, it has similar side effects to SRIs - such as nervousness and lucid dreaming. It can also cause digestive upset (really bad gas) so you have to take it and not recline for at least 30 minutes. If you go easy on your fat intake, there's less of a chance of having that particular side effect.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

AreteX

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »
I noticed your comment about drinking.

You need to quit that for a while too.  You don't have to stop forever, but drinking is a definite way to fail in your adventure in quitting smoking.  For one, you're drunk and thus not caring as much, and two... its one of the main places people smoke.  Bars, social events, ect.

I would skip going out with friends for at least the first week.  Once you make it over that week hump, go out, but don't drink.  Eventually work yourself into being normal again but without the cigs.

Also, have you ever stopped before?  Do you have a friend you're still in contact/hang out with that you started smoking with?  Honestly, quitting smoking is akin to stopping a drug addiction.  You just can't surround yourself with the bad influences.  It isn't a serious as say... heroin.  But the premise is the same:  Avoid the bad scenarios that you know you'll crave smoking and be around it as much as possible.

That's my advice!

Kastion

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »
I started to quit 3 days ago too. I dont know if you are opposed to nicotine patches, but I am using nicoderm CQ and it works amazingly. Yes im still taking in nictotine but it cuts out the other harmful chemicals and the inhilation of smoke. I have a few cravings but its more of like just thinking about cigarettes instead of getting a strong enough urge to get off my butt and go buy some. It is a little expensive but if you smoke a pack a day (6 dollars a pack here) its cheaper then what you pay for cigarettes.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

Voular

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »
Don't listen to these sissies.

Drink whiskey. Smoke cigars. Or a pipe.

Be a man.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »

Be a man. Die of cancer.

Right.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

lordcooper

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 12:36:40 AM »
It's totally possible to do both.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 12:52:25 AM »

Be a man. Die of cancer.

Right.

As long as you enjoy yourself as you go.

I'm all for living long, but what's the point if it's a constant struggle. Sometimes giving in to an urge can be the way more satisfying than putting it off.

But smoking ciggs is fucking nasty and you're disgusting if you do it.  ;)

Bebop

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 10:44:58 AM »
I too quit.  I miss smoking when I write.  In the end I just can't justify spending eight bucks on a pack every couple weeks.

TheBadSeed

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 08:23:53 PM »
The hardest part for me when I quit was realizing how bad people smell. Smoking killed my sense of smell, quitting awakened it.

Delirium

• Helper
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick