Author Topic: Considering quitting arm.  (Read 1473 times)

Adj

Considering quitting arm.
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:13:10 AM »
Frustrating.

How do you stay motivated?

Riya OniSenshi

Re: Considering quitting arm.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:17:24 AM »
Booze.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:17:43 AM »
Take a break. Read the GDB. Let the frustration fade.

Slowly think of new concepts while doing as much - Save ideas in Notepad/Wordpad. Brainstorm future characters.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Akaramu

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 03:20:35 AM »
Been there done that. I'm still there, kind of. I tend to just wait for the -perfect- character concept that really intrigues me to come up, rather than just play some bland throwaway PC for the sake of playing. There's no point to that.

Akaramu

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:29:40 AM »
Also, maybe that's lame, but I find it really helpful to play in the same environment again, with a chance of meeting the same PCs whose company you enjoyed so much previously and who played during your times. Just be very careful to really treat them as strangers, and let things develop naturally if they do develop.

Reiteration

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:49:12 AM »
Stay motivated for what? Getting eaten by a scrab?
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

musashi

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 03:51:54 AM »
Play to have fun. If it's not fun don't play.

Arm shouldn't feel like work you have to commit to.
Quote from: i can haz mantis
Random Thought: Don't argue against Musasushi because.... really... you lose.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Musashi, I hate it when you're right. ;)
Quote from: Nyr
I redacted the whole redacted.

Akaramu

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 03:59:26 AM »
What the wise evil toast-san said.

Don't play for the sake of playing, wait for a character idea to really strike and excite you.

Comfortably Dumb

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 04:04:47 AM »
I don't always stay motivated. But that's okay. The game will still be here whenever you feel like playing again.
And I am catching up, and I am seeing red
How about I prove I'm right and raise it overhead?

Reiteration

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 04:20:30 AM »
What the wise evil toast-san said.

Don't play for the sake of playing, wait for a character idea to really strike and excite you.

Read your messages ms.family-role-call

You have one too, in fact, I probably would've applied if I hadn't seen

I prefer players who do NO OOC COORDINATION. Otherwise how will I get 11 karma 3leetnez? Playing by the rules is important to me.

You shouldn't be playing the game just so you can grab karma and become a wizard, Harry.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Riya OniSenshi

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 04:33:39 AM »
I still say booze is the answer.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

FantasyWriter

• Tales of Then--Reflections of Now
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 07:20:46 AM »
Take a week off form the game, take a week off form the GDB.
ZERO Contact.

Then ease back in with as little play time as you can stand.
A little break can go a long way.
Greb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 07:51:25 AM »
Yeah, taking a break helps a lot.

marko

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »
Also, maybe that's lame, but I find it really helpful to play in the same environment again, with a chance of meeting the same PCs whose company you enjoyed so much previously and who played during your times. Just be very careful to really treat them as strangers, and let things develop naturally if they do develop.

I disagree with this comment totally.  But, that is an opinion of mine, and not necessarily because Akaramu is wrong.  ;)

If you aren't enjoying Arm then stop playing.  Seriously, it's that simple.

If you are finding the game becoming mundane for whatever reason change things up.  If you've always played X type role (most people wind up playing the same arch-types over and over again without realizing it) then switch it up.

My best sequential characters were always extremely different.  I played a noble followed by a rat followed by a magicker followed by a templar.  In other words four extremely different environments and cultures.  This kept the game fresh and new and the neat thing was meeting new people.

Finally, my advice:  Send the immortals some hugs and beer.  No, this won't actually do anything for you, but it will make -them- happy.  And happy imms leads to happy times in the game.  Although, drunk imms can lead to "happy" deaths but that's okay too!

Please note that I don't actually play Armageddon much anymore.  I have to write much since I do have a character and I log in like every few months for a couple of minutes.  So I suppose I umm.. "play" but, I don't really.  I may start again... maybe.  But, the non-Armageddon discussion board is one of my favorite internet sites to visit.  :)  So I stay 'active.'

Good luck!  And, if you have any questions there are always helpers to well.. help.  Or, if you wanna confide in a player who doesn't really play, you can toss me a message.  Or not.  :)

Dalmeth

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 10:12:07 AM »
When I have a character I like, it's because I'm doing something I think affects the game for the better.  There's my motivation.  No external attributes required.

So pick a philosophy for your next character and live up to it.  It'll be fun.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Akaramu

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
My best sequential characters were always extremely different.  I played a noble followed by a rat followed by a magicker followed by a templar.  In other words four extremely different environments and cultures.  This kept the game fresh and new and the neat thing was meeting new people.

You misunderstood. I keep my PCs very different as well, and even though I often play in the same environment again, with the same PCs, my new character has little to do with the old one. They might hate my old character's friends, be suspicious of them, work against my former clan, date my former archnemesis. I'm just saying, if there are PCs around who play during my times and who I enjoy having near me, I don't see why I should move to the other end of the Known only to avoid them, especially if the other end of the Known isn't a place I enjoy playing in. The game is still fresh, and I still meet new people.

And for me, it's a lot more fun doing this than holing myself up in a place I don't enjoy, possibly without any interaction, just for the sake of complete separation.