Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 363194 times)

Jihelu

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #10900 on: March 20, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »
You guys are buying into some serious anti-hype.

Anyway, I'll post a first hand review tomorrow.
Be sure to tell me if I can be super white
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

Pale Horse

« Reply #10901 on: March 20, 2017, 02:50:50 PM »
You guys are buying into some serious anti-hype.

Anyway, I'll post a first hand review tomorrow.
Be sure to tell me if I can be super white

I might be buying into the anti-hype, yes.

But, in all honesty, it is only affecting my decision to not buy it the first day it comes out.

I know that, eventually, I'll break down and buy it, if only because I'm a fan of the series and want to have a complete collection.

I was the same way with Dragon Age.  I'm a big fan of DA:O and I put off buying DA2 for years because I was "outraged" by the complete change to the system.  Then I bought it, played it, and enjoyed it.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #10902 on: March 20, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »
Honestly, every time (except ONCE with DA:I) if the anti-hype was this strong, I had to agree with it after playing a game. Wasteland 2. Pillars of Eternity. Fallout 4. I could name more if I thought about it for more than a second. Fallout 4 was so bad I returned it at under 3 hours, my only Steam refund in history. :-\

And videos don't lie. The facial expressions are laughably bad and, imo, immersion-breaking. What good is a story if the animated sequences rip you out of it every time they happen?

I'll probably still buy it, but only at a 50% discount or more, and with very low expectations.

Pale Horse

« Reply #10903 on: March 20, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »
Honestly, every time (except ONCE with DA:I) if the anti-hype was this strong, I had to agree with it after playing a game. Wasteland 2. Pillars of Eternity. Fallout 4. I could name more if I thought about it for more than a second. Fallout 4 was so bad I returned it at under 3 hours, my only Steam refund in history. :-\

And videos don't lie. The facial expressions are laughably bad and, imo, immersion-breaking. What good is a story if the animated sequences rip you out of it every time they happen?

I'll probably still buy it, but only at a 50% discount or more, and with very low expectations.

Not to say your preferences are bad, but..all those games you mentioned I actually enjoyed.  I may end up enjoying Andromeda, after all.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #10904 on: March 20, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »
Not to say your preferences are bad, but..all those games you mentioned I actually enjoyed.  I may end up enjoying Andromeda, after all.

Two of them I enjoyed for about 10-15 hours before the disappointment set in.

But yeah, different preferences. Believable, interesting characters and cutscenes are massively important to me. My immersion is easily broken.

I'm the weirdo gal who cries like a baby over visual novels.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:18:04 PM by Akaramu »

Pale Horse

« Reply #10905 on: March 20, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »

Two of them I enjoyed for about 10-15 hours before the disappointment set in.

But yeah, different preferences. Believable, interesting characters and cutscenes are massively important to me. My immersion is easily broken.

I'm the weirdo gal who cries like a baby over visual novels.

It's important to me, as well, but I may be able to suspend my disbelief to a greater extant than you.

Not that that's a good thing.  It just means I live in a greater place of denial :)

It's still the 90s, right?

BadSkeelz

« Reply #10906 on: March 20, 2017, 07:48:47 PM »

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one myself. They've made an incredible brand based almost entirely on depth of characterization. How do they drop the ball by not putting in the time to fix these edges? The only thing I can think of is that a shortsighted exec want to rush the game out before it was finished or there was a complete breakdown of the development process that prevented any fixes to the game whatsoever.

But this thread leaves me hoping that the inevitable white culling will be swift and merciful.

Metalocaylpse's take on how the entertainment business works (especially with big name franchises) comes to mind.

Funny you should mention culling because the account that posted your video appears to have been "terminated" (banned?) from Youtube.

Maybe all the animation QA budget went in to the sex scenes?
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #10907 on: March 20, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »
I would be willing to pay maybe $1.50 for For Honor.  If it were free to play I could play it for at least 45 minutes.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Malken

« Reply #10908 on: March 20, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »
Maybe all the animation QA budget went in to the sex scenes?

“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Malken

« Reply #10909 on: March 20, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »
I would be willing to pay maybe $1.50 for For Honor.  If it were free to play I could play it for at least 45 minutes.

Jihelu

« Reply #10910 on: March 21, 2017, 12:02:49 AM »

When you can't afford good writers.

https://twitter.com/TypeANumber2/status/843424531880595457

Oh my god.
That voice sync is actually fucking bad.
REALLY BAD.
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Atleast the alien in the end knows that this game is bad and that he wants to die. Me irl.

If I recall someone drew a picture of the maincharacter for funsies over on the 4chans and it looked better than the character does in the game.

The "Uhhh" noise she makes with completely emotionless eyes.
Riveting.

Sound warning.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:41:29 AM by Jihelu »
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #10911 on: March 21, 2017, 12:09:31 AM »

LOL..  I played the demo, its almost as boring as No Mans sky.
Quote from MeTekillot

Marauder Moe

« Reply #10912 on: March 21, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »
Moe's Spoiler Free Day One Mass Effect: Andromeda impressions:

I'll start with the elephant in the room: facial animations.  The issue IS way over-blown.  What you've seen is the very worst cherry-picked examples of scenes where expressions were not scripted or were not scripted well.  Characters DO have facial expressions.  Sometimes they're pretty good.  Most of the time they're fine.  Sometimes they're terrible.  It doesn't feel any different from previous Mass Effect experiences, and if people hadn't made such a stink about this I'm not sure I'd have noticed at all.

To hit the second hot-button issue: No, it's not true that you can't make white characters.  Yes, it's true that the character creator is still pretty sub-par.  If you've got a GamerGate bent, yes you might be upset that there are more base options depicting non-white races than for white races.  Hair options are pretty meager.  Beard depictions are mostly TERRIBLE.  The available tattoos are also so terrible I'm not sure why thy bothered.  Still, it's not impossible to make a character that's attractive if you spend enough time fiddling.

The design choices that deserve the most criticism in my opinion, however, are the game menus.  MAYBE they make more sense on console, but I doubt it.  Whoever designed it doesn't realize that keyboard buttons have MEANINGS and users have certain expectations that they'll behave in certain ways.  It is NOT OK for the "Escape" key to stand in for an "OK" button.  Though sometimes the space bar is used as "OK" when that's not really standard either.  In no other game or application have I seen a scroll menu that LEAPS BACK TO THE TOP when you scroll to the bottom, making you have to carefully scroll back to see options near the bottom.  The hotkey for opening certain screens (like M for map) aren't reversible: they don't exit that screen back to the game.  You have to hit escape, except that takes you to the main menu and you have to hit escape AGAIN to get back to the game.  Multiplayer setup is an unfortunate labyrinth of nested screens and menus, with confirmation dialogs in weird spots.  It's bad and it makes me angry.  (Partly, though, is I have a bit of a professional specialty in software UI design.)

Phew.  All that said, the game is fun.  Combat is, overall, an mild improvement over the OT.  Jump jets and more aggressive enemies make battles feel more dynamic, rather than just find good cover and play shooting gallery.

Multiplayer is about the same formula, but due to the aforementioned mobility, you can't just camp one spot in the map.  It's unfortunate that voice comms default to always on and there is no text chat.  Lag is not as bad as reported earlier during the trial.  It seems a little harder than ME3 MP, but that might just be because I no longer have my max-level kits and my beloved N7 Hurricane anymore.  Though I do worry that it's going to be a lot more grindy due to the way you have to level up character cards now.  That might not be a terrible thing, though.

The music seems good.  I haven't hit any truly memorable tracks like Suicide Mission yet, but I'm not surprised they wouldn't appear in the first few hours of the game.  It's appropriately Mass Effect-y epic orchestral-techno, though, with bleak undertones that seem fitting for people who are a ridiculous distance away from their homes.

I don't mind how they've categorized player dialog, though I do wish Ryder had a little more wit.  Maybe that comes later.

The story is fine so far.  They don't waste a lot of time setting up the situation.  You even get some nice HOLY SHIT moments to introduce you to your new galaxy.

Overall, it FEELS like Mass Effect.  By most reports, people who have played further in the game have enjoyed it more.  In conclusion, the game has flaws but they are not insurmountable.  If you're a big fan of the series, don't let the bad reviews scare you off.

I'll share more as I get deeper in, for sure.

Malken

« Reply #10913 on: March 21, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
The "professional" reviews' metascore is 78, which is not high at all considering they would usually give a game like that a much higher score.

Like you said, unless you're a big fan of the series, I'd wait massive discounts before getting it.

I like this guy's review best so far:

TL;DR: Don't preorder videogames.
After just finishing a playthrough of the original 3 Mass Effect games, this game doesn't feel like a Mass Effect game, or even spiritual successor. It feels like the overdone open-world package with a Mass Effect stamp.

General nitpicks & gripes:

It looks graphically similar to Mass Effect 1, with severe performance issues and drops in areas of little consequence, like the med bay on the Ark (I'm on PC, i7-4790k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM).
Facial animations and character animations in general are just worse than the first game. In dialogue sequences, it feels like you are speaking to a robot- only their lips animate compared to the rest of the character.

The Turian and Krogan voices don't have the same bass-y undertone they had throughout the original trilogy.

"Hold to Sprint" is inaccurate- sprint works by toggling the sprint key, and remains active as long as you push movement keys. Toggle sprint changes movement to mouse-steering.
The in-game scanner has difficulty scanning an object- even when the mouse cursor is in the center of that object

Objective markers are misleading and often don't properly communicate height differences

Minute-long unskippable cutscenes take place between planets/systems in the galaxy map. Selection of planets on the galaxy map uses a limited-sensitivity cursor, making it feel clunky and limited.
Between segments of the story, you have to traverse the open-world level, which has the typical clusters of enemies and small collectibles, making the story become tedious as opposed to action-packed, like the previous trilogy.

The new dialogue system throws the Paragon/Renegade system out of the window. Dialogue options still change the conversation, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference in terms of persuasion/etc.

Cutscenes skip and perform badly, entire animations stutter.

Abilities sometimes do not work in combat, there is also no tactical screen like the previous games (the "pause" menu that allows you to command your followers mid-action).

The UI is awful and isn't explained. Navigating via unlabeled (symbols, no text) tabs at the top is confusing at first.

The cover system is lackluster- you automatically get into and out of cover, and will sometimes take cover behind objects while trying to shoot. I prefer the "button to enter cover" approach.

The story is interesting, but feels rushed- character introductions are fast, quest assignment is quicker, and there are conflicts resolved in ME3 that are brought back in ME:A (the genophage).

Weapons and armor are now on a crafting system. In order to upgrade your equipment, you have to scan objects on planets for points, use those points to unlock blueprints. using those blueprints, you must gather resources on small nodes on planets in order to craft the desired item. You can also buy the items/resources to make the items, but funding is scarce compared to ME3/ME2.

Side quests tend to be "go here, shoot enemies, find the thing, bring it back", and lack any meaningful depth.

General improvements and positive features:

Abilities are no longer on a universal timer- each one recharges independently from one another, making combat more rich.

Every character has access to Jump-jets, and the ability to hover in midair. This makes combat more fluid, allowing you to target enemies in cover with powers or abilities. With Jump-jets, you can now freely jump in the game, making level design more unique.

Every character can spec into tech/biotic/combat powers, and unlock specialization bonuses based on the skills you purchase. You can also respec these skills at any time and reconfigure your playstyle, instead of being locked into Biotics/Tech.

There is no longer a universal button. Sprinting is separate from interacting/talking.

The new dialogue system allows for more variation in your character's dialogue- Emotional, Logical, Casual, and Professional; each denoted by a symbol. There is also a huge heart symbol by dialogue that is flirtatious.

Albeit much less fun than the Mako, we have a car to drive up mountains in again.

There are forward-base drops, giving you a fast-travel point, loadout change and ammo/health restock in the field.

There is wildlife on the planets you visit, some of it hostile. Hostile enemies and wildlife can and will attack one another, letting you swoop in for the kill.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:30:41 PM by Malken »

Pale Horse

« Reply #10914 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
I was gifted the game and have played maybe 3 hours into it.

My first impressions:

The graphics are just..poor.  I am unsure if it is do to the work that went into an "open-world" sort of game and all the content that needs to be done to have that sort of game work.  While they are not the doom and gloom bad that the anti-hype was touting, as Malken said, you'll find better graphics and animations in ME1, which is disappointing.  Ryder never seems to look down or directly at anyone, and could it kill to have something other than lip flapping as their only facial expression?  Your teammates have better facial expressions but even they seem like a mask thrown onto an automaton at Disney's the Hall of Presidents.

Jittery graphics and animations do exist.  To me they're just an annoyance and not game-breaking.

I've only encountered one bug so far that hasn't broken the game but has the potential.  The game will randomly decide not to wait for me to actually select a response during dialogue and will automatically choose whichever was highlighted after a half-second flash of the speech wheel.  When you get to quest choices or companion talks where this really begins to matter, this will make the game un-played to me.  Saving, exiting and returning to the game fixes it for only a little amount of time.

Story so far seems fine.  Not spectacular, but fine.  It's the first game in the ME universe nod dealing with Shepard and familiar idea0/facess so I know I will need to get used to this, but there does seem a lack of "depth" I've come to expect.

The UI is piss-poor.  Whoever designed it or signed off on it as a good idea needs a clue.

Combat is frenetic, which can be good or bad.  I'm still getting used to it, so it's not a turn off or turn on, right now.  Each skill having a separate cooldown is wonderful, but the indicators for when the skills are ready to use (or even where they're located) are, again, a serious UI flaw.

You get no tutorial as to how to navigate on your home base.  It's not exactly difficult but it's another design decision that's annoying.

Click and hold to interact with anything.  Not click.  You click and hold for an arbitrary half-second before the command goes through..and stops if you don't keep the button pressed.  Seriously, did a blind-monkey get hired as the UI designer?

Pale Horse

« Reply #10915 on: March 22, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »
Update on my ME:A impressions:

Great improvement in graphics quality as the game goes on from the beginning.  While still not the greatest, there are either less instances of the bad quality that breaks my immersion or I am learning to gloss over them.

The facial animations still get to me.  The aliens seem to have more expressive features than any human, but that could just be due to skin texture and my own projections.  At the same time, I'll admit that facial animations were never that spectacular in the ME games.

Malken stated that the game doesn't really feel like an ME game, and I get that.  ME:A doesn't feel the seem, but I've gotten over wanting to have "more of the same" expectation even as I still find myself expecting said expectation.  This, IMO, is not a bad thing.  Rolling in a concern I raised previous about an implied "lack of depth," this is a whole new story and a new universe.  Jumping into the ME games from 1, you're faced with a plethora of back story about our own galaxy it's denizens and our own perspective of being human.  You have a stake in this story, for lack of a better way to explain.  In ME:A, you don't.  You're the new kids on the block, without something in the area to give you a sense of permanence that stretches back into the history of the Helios Cluster.  TL:DR, you could call ME:A "Star Effect" or "Mass Treck" and get what it feels like.  Seriously, your duty description as Pathfinder is literally First Contact and Exploration.

I like what I'm seeing, now.  It had a hard, rocky start but it's winning me over.  I still have complaints, but I expect my more serious ones to eventually be addressed (I have to agree with a review I read where someone said that many of the aesthetic complaints could be remedied by adjusting the way lighting was used IG.  There are some very odd glares all over the place).

Edit: An impression on the main character.  Ryder is far less "Commander Shepard" and far more "Young, inexperienced Captain Kirk."  Seriously, they added the option to pursue non-committal romances with several characters so you can get your alien-banging fix on with several individuals (call them flings) without jeopardizing that "special one" romance you may be pursuing.  Or, you just might, if said individual is into commitment and isn't willing to share.

Edit to Edit: Ryder was apparently written as a horrible flirt.  I think I like that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:47:20 PM by Pale Horse »

Is Friday

« Reply #10916 on: March 23, 2017, 11:58:20 AM »
I bought Horizon Zero Dawn after watching updates on it and eventually seeing the reviews assert it's good. I'm pretty pleased with it thus far, about 2 hours into gameplay. The voice acting so far is  good. Gameplay is fun. Everything is fairly intuitive.

Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Malken

« Reply #10917 on: March 23, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »

Riev

« Reply #10918 on: March 23, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »
So far, the ME:A animations that really get to me are the walking animations. For almost everyone. The legs are too short, or there's something off about their butts, but its very funny to me when I notice it.

Facial expressions get to me, but then so do the "ugly" people. I feel like they went out of their way to not make "pretty" people which... I get. But as a gamer, I'm conditioned to believe the people around me are gorgeous Greek Gods.

I like the game, but I agree with UI complaints. And crafting. I got excited that I could research and build a DHAN, gave it some nice mods and an awesome beam-type component, and it SAYS it does like +200 more damage than the one I normally use, but it doesn't. It does the damage of a fucking pistol, and my starter shotgun is OP. I don't know if I'm reading things wrong, or if their numbers are off, or what. But Point Black range with a shotgun dealing less than my Mattock is troubling.

Also if I play for more than 2hours, my RAM is maxed out and the game struggles to release it when I finally quit playing. I have to force-quit just to use my computer for other things
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #10919 on: March 23, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »
I just got Player unknown's battle ground.  I will play it tonight with some friends and report back.   It  looks like a slower paced h1z1 with similar mechanics.
Quote from MeTekillot

Cind

« Reply #10920 on: March 23, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
I wish I had Horizon Zero Dawn, that looks good.

I may be able to get a PS4 at some point, literally entirely for the sake of a handful of old games, the FFX and FFX-2 remasters and some Ratchet and Clanks.

FFVII is coming out at the end of the year. I'm also interested in FFXII Zodiac Age, if they've fixed the leveling system. If you've still got the PS2 version, your skills almost entirely rely on what equipment you're wearing and wielding, and the few license power-ups you can get. Your actual level counts for shit.

I really miss FFX. The PS2 copy I have is scratched and dented and it freezes on the boat ride to Kilika.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #10921 on: March 23, 2017, 06:20:35 PM »
I wish I had Horizon Zero Dawn, that looks good.

I may be able to get a PS4 at some point, literally entirely for the sake of a handful of old games, the FFX and FFX-2 remasters and some Ratchet and Clanks.

FFVII is coming out at the end of the year. I'm also interested in FFXII Zodiac Age, if they've fixed the leveling system. If you've still got the PS2 version, your skills almost entirely rely on what equipment you're wearing and wielding, and the few license power-ups you can get. Your actual level counts for shit.

I really miss FFX. The PS2 copy I have is scratched and dented and it freezes on the boat ride to Kilika.

You know FF X and X-2 are on Steam as HD remasters, right? VII as well.

But yeah, X was awesome.

I wish Horizon Zero Dawn was on Steam.  :'(

Armaddict

« Reply #10922 on: March 23, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »
Akamaru:

Not sure if you saw it, but ToME just did a big update and added a new class and revamped some of the other ones (rogue being most noticeably different so far, for me).  Preeeeettty awesome.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Cind

« Reply #10923 on: March 23, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »
I wish I could download a game in a reasonable number of hours, kind of want my Ratchet and Clanks too though... but thanks, one day when the PS4 is broken I think I'll buy FFX off Steam. I can technically download it, I think it would take about 25 hours with my connection, but I can put it on a flashdrive and save it so I don't have to go through that on future computers.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #10924 on: March 23, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »
Akamaru:

Not sure if you saw it, but ToME just did a big update and added a new class and revamped some of the other ones (rogue being most noticeably different so far, for me).  Preeeeettty awesome.

Saw it! Will check out. Thanks.

And it's Akaramu, not Akamaru. I swear I'm not that Japanese dog ;D