Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 741765 times)

janeshephard

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1225 on: January 22, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »

I haven't figured out the TP features yet.  Obviously, I can't build them, correct?

Only Republics can build TPs. They'll reach you eventually but you're far enough away that it will be a hundred years or so after the start of the game.

Quote from: Maker
I mean, playing as Ireland, I'm assuming b/c I am feudal that they are not an option for me.  Another question I have about general gameplay: Sometimes, when I raise my armies, some dukes will not raise soldiers for me, even with 100 opinion of me.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this might be?

If you click on their demense counties you can check to see their current soldier count. There's a garrison meter, and an army meter. You'll notice some of it is in red the other green. The red part is what he must maintain for you and raise for you.

This is based on opinion and the levy size you set in your laws and your crown authority. If you're at 'Autonomous Vassals' he doesn't need to raise anything for you.

http://crusaderkings-two.wikia.com/wiki/Crown_Authority
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Maker

« Reply #1226 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »
If you click on their demense counties you can check to see their current soldier count. There's a garrison meter, and an army meter. You'll notice some of it is in red the other green. The red part is what he must maintain for you and raise for you.

This is based on opinion and the levy size you set in your laws and your crown authority. If you're at 'Autonomous Vassals' he doesn't need to raise anything for you.

Yes.  I understand that much.  That's where my confusion comes in.  I show full green bar, size looks corerct.  However, despite showing X number of soldiers available, the "Raise Levy" button is greyed out.  Opinion of me is 100.  My only two guesses are 1)opinions go above 100 behind the scenes and he likes my opponent better than me, or 2)he is allied, somehow, with my opponent.  Are either of these possible reasons why he won't tgive me his damned troops?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

Maker

« Reply #1227 on: January 22, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »

Yes.  I understand that much.  That's where my confusion comes in.  I show full green bar, size looks corerct.  However, despite showing X number of soldiers available, the "Raise Levy" button is greyed out.  Opinion of me is 100.  My only two guesses are 1)opinions go above 100 behind the scenes and he likes my opponent better than me, or 2)he is allied, somehow, with my opponent.  Are either of these possible reasons why he won't tgive me his damned troops?

Wait.  Supply limits?  I have seen a stat on supply, but I never understood where it factored in.  Could this be contributing to the problem?

-John F. Kennedy

janeshephard

« Reply #1228 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:45 AM »
Maker, is your crown authority Autonomous Vassals?

If it's all green they don't need to raise any levies for you. The red part is what they have to maintain for you.

Supply limits only impact a raised army. They will get attrition if their number is over the supply limit.

EDIT: Also if you recently levied and their soldiers were wiped out you need to give the vassal sometime to regen those specific soldiers for you.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Maker

« Reply #1229 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
Maker, is your crown authority Autonomous Vassals?

If it's all green they don't need to raise any levies for you. The red part is what they have to maintain for you.

Supply limits only impact a raised army. They will get attrition if their number is over the supply limit.

EDIT: Also if you recently levied and their soldiers were wiped out you need to give the vassal sometime to regen those specific soldiers for you.

No.  Medium Crown Authority.  So there is a percentage they have to raise for me.  And it isn't an issues of an on-going war.  It is at the outset of a war.  When I say the bar is all green, I mean, when on the military screen, it gives a list of each holding and the number of soldiers available.  If I am reading this corerctlt, the red bar indicates the total numbe that could be available to me, and the green bar indicates how many are actually available.  So, when I click to raise all feudal levies, they all empty out except for one stubbord duke, who doesn't give me any.

-John F. Kennedy

Maker

« Reply #1230 on: January 22, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »
When I get home today, I'll post a screenshot b/c I know I'm not explaining myself clearly.  And forgive all the typos in my posts.  For some reason, my browser keeps resetting the positiion of the text field and I can't see what I am typing.

-John F. Kennedy

Pale Horse

« Reply #1231 on: January 22, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »

I haven't figured out the TP features yet.  Obviously, I can't build them, correct?

Only Republics can build TPs. They'll reach you eventually but you're far enough away that it will be a hundred years or so after the start of the game.

Quote from: Maker
I mean, playing as Ireland, I'm assuming b/c I am feudal that they are not an option for me.  Another question I have about general gameplay: Sometimes, when I raise my armies, some dukes will not raise soldiers for me, even with 100 opinion of me.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this might be?

http://crusaderkings-two.wikia.com/wiki/Crown_Authority

As an FYI for this, it is possible to create your own Republic, fairly easily.

The requirements are thus:

1.  You must be a King or Emperor
2.  Build a city and grant it to a vassal/grant a city to a vassal (must be on a coastal county).
3.  Promote said vassal to a Duke and give them control over the county their city is in.
4.  Your vassal is now his own non-independent Republic.

It is possible to create a Republic as a Duke with multiple titles, but as soon as you promote the vassal, they are now of your same rank and no longer under your control.

This is a fairly easy way to jump your income level in the earlier stages of the game, provided you've managed to grab yourself a Kingdom and set your Feudal Tax rate for vassals above the minimum of "None."  The Republic under you is going to be making massive amounts of money and spending the lion's share on posts and what not, but you do manage to siphon off a decent amount through "just taxation." (read=tyranny)
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Dalmeth

Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

janeshephard

« Reply #1233 on: January 23, 2013, 12:36:58 AM »
Harebrained Schemes put up the pre-order page for Shadowrun Returns.

http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/shadowrun-returns-pre-order/

$15 for the basic game + editor.

I'm a little shocked. I thought $15 was for kickstarter backers -- you know a special price but they're sticking to it.

Maker

« Reply #1234 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19:27 AM »
FUCK brothers who think they deserve my throne and plunge the kingdom into civil war.  From now on, I assassinate anyone with a legitimate claim.

In other news, is the multiplayer version of CK2 full featured, or is it just watered down elements of the single player version?  If it is just one or only a few aspects, then I want to know why they can't make CK2 multiplayer full-featured?

-John F. Kennedy

Wolfsong

« Reply #1235 on: January 23, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »
Multiplayer is exactly the same as single player, only with people playing the other dynasties in lieu of NPCs.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Maker

« Reply #1236 on: January 23, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
Multiplayer is exactly the same as single player, only with people playing the other dynasties in lieu of NPCs.

You're kidding me.  How cynical have I gotten?  How do they handle the time issue?

-John F. Kennedy

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #1237 on: January 23, 2013, 03:43:44 PM »
I've wanted to play CK2 with another person so I can learn the game a bit better.  I just keep finding it daunting and loose interest after a bit of playing it.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Maker

« Reply #1238 on: January 23, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
I've wanted to play CK2 with another person so I can learn the game a bit better.  I just keep finding it daunting and loose interest after a bit of playing it.

Keep at it.  There is an initial learning curve that is steep, but, once you are over that hump, it's a blast, and I am still learning new aspects I wasn't aware of before. 

-John F. Kennedy

lordcooper

« Reply #1239 on: January 23, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »

I'd be up for this if we can get a decent ping.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

spicemustflow

« Reply #1240 on: January 23, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
while chatting with some people in EVE general help, one said "yeah, EVE is so hardcore, if you get killed you lose a ship, a ton of cash and a month of progress unless if you forget to update your clone." how adorable

Maker

« Reply #1241 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »

I'd be up for this if we can get a decent ping.

I'm in.

-John F. Kennedy

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #1242 on: January 24, 2013, 06:27:39 AM »
Just started out with War Thunder. It's a WWII flight combat game from the guys who did Birds of Steel and IL-2 Sturmovik. The whole thing follows the same F2P model Wargaming uses for World of Tanks, except it doesn't suck miserably like World of Warplanes does. They're currently in the process of finishing up naval combat and it should be added to the game in the next couple months. They're also planning on allowing players to take control of ground forces (which are currently controlled by AI).

The whole game is really polished, especially considering it's only in beta, and it has a variety of gametypes so newbies like me can stick to Arcade Mode and hardcore flight sim players can jump into Full Realism mode which is basically unplayable without a flight stick. There are also co-op campaigns and a mission editor.

I took a couple random screenshots earlier that are all in 3rd person view but the cockpits of all fighters are accurately modeled for first-person view. Bomber cockpits don't seem to be modeled yet, or cockpit view is unavailable in bombers. Not sure which.

All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

lordcooper

« Reply #1243 on: January 26, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »
Currently downloading the SimCity beta.  Hopefully it is not shit.

Wolfsong

« Reply #1244 on: January 26, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »
I love Sims 3.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Cind

« Reply #1245 on: January 26, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
I love Sims 3.

I just figured out how to get my vampire to drink from any sim they want. Well I don't know if it works on enemies. Also there's a chance you'll make the sim romantically interested in you, apparently.

And every time I try to explore the catacombs of the graveyard, I eventually come out mentally and physically scarred from zombie bear encounters. not sure how to make that stop.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Pale Horse

« Reply #1246 on: January 26, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »
I love Sims 3.

I just figured out how to get my vampire to drink from any sim they want. Well I don't know if it works on enemies. Also there's a chance you'll make the sim romantically interested in you, apparently.

And every time I try to explore the catacombs of the graveyard, I eventually come out mentally and physically scarred from zombie bear encounters. not sure how to make that stop.

Greater Athletic skill and certain traits: Brave, Athletic, etc.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

lordcooper

« Reply #1247 on: January 26, 2013, 08:28:40 PM »
Are there any essential or highly recommended mods for Empire TW?

Malken

« Reply #1248 on: January 26, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »
Are there any essential or highly recommended mods for Empire TW?

Darthmod for sure!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=569761

It's like playing a totally different game, where strategy actually matters and the AI isn't moronic.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Pale Horse

« Reply #1249 on: January 26, 2013, 11:38:19 PM »
So, I've started playing the Baldur's Gate series again, starting from the first game and going from there.

I forgot how much I absolutely love this series even so many years later.  It stands out as a true genre-defining and standard setting game.

That being said, I also forgot just how mind-numbingly frustrating it was to start out with a D&D character at level 1, and not really have the best of party compositions.

I remembered it being difficult, but I guess it's been quite a while since I dusted off gems like Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Icewind Dale.  Many modern games hand-walk you through the game until delivering your first challenge.  Not so with these pioneers.  Dying to a friggin' wolf that manages to one-hit your 5 hp mage or thief really brings home the fact that you are weak when you first start adventuring.

..which explains why so many would-be adventurers die.  Quickly.

Someone needs to take the old Infinity Engine and mod a Darksun game!  Or petition WoC to start up another.  I haven't seen anything in Athas for a long time (yes, I'm aware they developed new 4th edition stuff with the Darksun setting.  I'm talking electronic entertainment) and the old "Shattered Lands" and "Wake of the Ravager" games play oddly on modern machines.