Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 805345 times)

Marauder Moe

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1200 on: January 18, 2013, 11:13:09 AM »
Almost used up wife #2 and I have 8 daughters, no sons.  Now I kinda get how Henry VIII felt.  >:( >:( >:(

Getting rather old myself, so plan B is in progress.  The current list of succession is rather uninspiring.  Eldest nephew's highest stat is 8 with all sorts of poor character traits.  One of my nephews actually has a rather impressive genius son, though, with a military stat of 24.  So I've switched back to elective monarchy and nominated that nephew for succession.  Meanwhile, going to try to kill him so I can then nominate his son instead.

Once I get that all sorted out I think it may be time to make a real push at England.  On the game ledger they have more than twice as many soldiers as me, but in the last all-out war (I was helping some English rebels gain independance) I kicked the Bishop-King's arse through a combination of mercenaries, superior generals, and superior tactics.  Also imagine I could get the rebels to join in again.

janeshephard

« Reply #1201 on: January 18, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
Very excited. Too bad it won't be out until 2015 at the earliest.

@ Moe

I have permission from the Pope to invade the HRE which I plan to do right after work:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:01:33 PM by janeshephard »
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Maker

« Reply #1202 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
Thank you, again, to those who helped me become king of Ireland.  Now I can keep Scotland at bay...
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #1203 on: January 18, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
XCOM:

I've finally managed to get to laser weapons and carapace armor on Ironman Classic with most of the Second Wave options turned on.  After many failed attempts in several other starting areas, I finally started in North America again, and tried new tactics for my soldiers.  For the first 10 or so missions, I aim to bring back as few corpses and intact equipment as possible...my main goal is to bring back my soldiers alive and promoted (which means grenade and rocket spam to ensure the quick deaths of as many aliens as possible). Third-tier for all classes really makes a difference.  I also decided early on to write off Europe and Asia, and settle with keeping the Americas and Africa for those bonuses offered.

So far, so good.  We haven't captured an alien yet, but we're going to do that soon!

Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1204 on: January 18, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »
Yeah, because of DLCs and patches there's quite a few games that I need to revisit sometime:
XCOM
Mass Effect
Civilization 5 (though CK2 scratches that itch pretty thoroughly...)

Also I need to finish Walking Dead, and I hear they're making a Season 2 for it.

Also also I believe the next season of Halo 4 Spartan Ops starts up soon.  Need to see if any of my friends are willing to pick that up again.  Though, if they're not, I actually found that playing Sparton Ops solo on easy mode can be quite enjoyable.  Makes you feel like you're Master Chief in one very long cutscene.  The dialog doesn't make sense, though.

Also also also I probably need to play Skyrim.  I heard it was very good, but it came out while I was on a vow of no video games until a certain list of large home improvement tasks got completed.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #1205 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
Man, Cortana has some serious boobs.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #1206 on: January 18, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »
Man, Cortana has some serious boobs.

Don't fool yourself.  They're made out of silicon.
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #1207 on: January 18, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »
I know the developers seriously considered making them jiggle.

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

janeshephard

« Reply #1208 on: January 18, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »

Why would that make them more attractive?
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Ghost

« Reply #1209 on: January 18, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »
i would do her
some of my posts are serious stuff

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #1210 on: January 18, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
I don't want to have to explain the joke, but I will if I am forced to do so

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #1211 on: January 18, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »

Why would that make them more attractive?

Probably because boobs naturally do some jiggling when moving about.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1212 on: January 18, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »
Ugh.  SimCity is making me sad.  EA seems to be doing everything they can to ruin a very promising game with heavy-handed DRM.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #1213 on: January 18, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Ugh.  SimCity is making me sad.  EA seems to be doing everything they can to ruin a very promising game with heavy-handed DRM.

I've been quite worried about that also.  I don't mind the online play crap, but using Origin?  I don't even want to touch it.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

janeshephard

« Reply #1214 on: January 18, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
CK2 question. One of my relatives and vassals a Duke has Friend: +100 on his opinion modifier. Where does this come from? The feast event?

racurtne

« Reply #1215 on: January 18, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
CK2 question. One of my relatives and vassals a Duke has Friend: +100 on his opinion modifier. Where does this come from? The feast event?

Yes, it can happen at feasts for sure. I believe that's by far the most common place for you to make a friend, but I think there may be another way. I can't recall.
Alea iacta est

Harmless

« Reply #1216 on: January 18, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »
Any Natural Selection 2 players out there? I've been playing it more recently, they did a few things to it that bumped up its coolness.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

lordcooper

« Reply #1217 on: January 19, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »
I've started playing other games again, which probably doesn't say great things about The Republic.  It's not bad, just not quite to the standard I've come to expect from Paradox.  Then again, maybe the changes it makes to feudal play will help, I'm yet to check those out.

Dragon's Dogma has drawn me in again.  It's really quite amazing just how much the game changes depending on your vocation.  It has the best magic I've come across and there's even a fairly decent stealth game hidden in there.

Also, Antichamber comes out on the 31st and everyone should give it a try.  It utterly bamboozled me at Rezzed.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

janeshephard

« Reply #1218 on: January 19, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »
I've started playing other games again, which probably doesn't say great things about The Republic.  It's not bad, just not quite to the standard I've come to expect from Paradox.  Then again, maybe the changes it makes to feudal play will help, I'm yet to check those out.

The changes to Feudal so far have been confusing. I will get gifts from Republics occassionaly and if my opinion of them is low I will have events which let me burn down one of their trade posts.

I think Paradox really need to re-evaluate their design choices.

lordcooper

« Reply #1219 on: January 19, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
How to stop Steam being so laggy: Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN Settings > Uncheck Automatically Detect Settings

racurtne

« Reply #1220 on: January 19, 2013, 10:16:06 PM »
This makes me glad I have been offline on steam to keep playing 1.08 Ck2. Thanks for the heads up on The Republic.
Alea iacta est

lordcooper

« Reply #1221 on: January 21, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »
Does anyone want a Steam key for Europa Universalis III Chronicles?

janeshephard

« Reply #1222 on: January 21, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »

Sure. Does it have a dynasty system?

lordcooper

« Reply #1223 on: January 21, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »

Sure. Does it have a dynasty system?

Sent it via PM :)

And yeah monarchs belong to dynasties, although they're far less important than in CK2.  EU3 is a pretty different beast.

Maker

« Reply #1224 on: January 22, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »
I've started playing other games again, which probably doesn't say great things about The Republic.  It's not bad, just not quite to the standard I've come to expect from Paradox.  Then again, maybe the changes it makes to feudal play will help, I'm yet to check those out.

The changes to Feudal so far have been confusing. I will get gifts from Republics occassionaly and if my opinion of them is low I will have events which let me burn down one of their trade posts.

I think Paradox really need to re-evaluate their design choices.

I haven't figured out the TP features yet.  Obviously, I can't build them, correct?  I mean, playing as Ireland, I'm assuming b/c I am feudal that they are not an option for me.  Another question I have about general gameplay: Sometimes, when I raise my armies, some dukes will not raise soldiers for me, even with 100 opinion of me.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this might be?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy