Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 745155 times)

HavokBlue

• Helper
Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1175 on: January 15, 2013, 11:17:45 PM »
My problem with Prophecy of Pendor, when I tried it, was the fact that early on, I'd get matched against large numbers of plate-armored knights who would just utterly destroy my ragtag mercenary band. Sure, it's historically accurate, but it's not fun gameplay wise.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Malken

« Reply #1176 on: January 15, 2013, 11:37:21 PM »
My problem with Prophecy of Pendor, when I tried it, was the fact that early on, I'd get matched against large numbers of plate-armored knights who would just utterly destroy my ragtag mercenary band. Sure, it's historically accurate, but it's not fun gameplay wise.

The "hero" armies that pop up with 500+ plate armored knights and elves are quite easy to avoid even with my ~100 infantries army.. It's basically the same strategy as any other mods at first, fight the bandits, get your level up, slowly increase your army, team up with a nation, etc..
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #1177 on: January 15, 2013, 11:45:26 PM »
My problem was small roaming bands of armored knight women and crazy shit like that who would obliterate me from horseback without taking any damage.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

racurtne

« Reply #1178 on: January 15, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »
Okay, I must brag. This is with the ck2 plus mod. I had to take Finland and the the Eastern Baltic (ie Lithuania) from the Golden Horde. Hungary (Which is really big this game) and the HRE really came in handy as allies.

The Swedish Empire consists of Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Lithuania.  ;D

Alea iacta est

janeshephard

« Reply #1179 on: January 16, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »
I was just reading up on how it's possible to "Mend the Great Schism" in the Christian church if you own the Legacy of Rome DLC.

EDIT:

Starting a new CK2 game in Ireland. Going to make all my boys train with my Marshal and send them all at the head of my armies :D

The one who shows great strength gets to be my successor through elective monarchy. Long live the Kingdom of Ireland.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:28:42 PM by janeshephard »
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1180 on: January 16, 2013, 11:13:51 PM »
WHAT.

So, in my game (I'm Scotland, by way of Ireland still), I took a look around and noticed that the Kaiser is heir to the Byzantine Empire.

:o :o :o

Also, less dramatically but more immediately relevant, England has become a theocracy.  The current Bishop-King is a huge tyrant.  He smashed my borders pretty hard.  Also, all of his vassals HATE him.  I don't understand why there isn't a revolt.

racurtne

« Reply #1181 on: January 16, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
WHAT.

So, in my game (I'm Scotland, by way of Ireland still), I took a look around and noticed that the Kaiser is heir to the Byzantine Empire.

:o :o :o

Also, less dramatically but more immediately relevant, England has become a theocracy.  The current Bishop-King is a huge tyrant.  He smashed my borders pretty hard.  Also, all of his vassals HATE him.  I don't understand why there isn't a revolt.

About the HRE Byzantine empire thing. I played a Von Hapsburg game where I was emperor and was declared heir to the Byzantine Empire as well. Something weird happened when I was supposed to inherit and the empires immediately split with the next in line (Not of my house) inheriting. It created all kinds of weirdness where I controlled a few counties in the midst of the Byzantine empire though. I looked and looked to try to find out why that happened and couldn't figure it out at the time.
Alea iacta est

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1182 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:07 AM »
Nope, dude got the whole thing.

Now it's the HOLY SHIT Roman Empire.

Also, the English revolt began.  I pitched in with the rebels just because having a unified tyrannical England like that seems really bad for me, and it seemed like I had no way to actually interact with a theocracy diplomatically.

janeshephard

« Reply #1183 on: January 17, 2013, 12:08:01 AM »
I went from being a control freak Liege to just saying fuck it and lowering Crown authority for a generation or two. Works wonders. Let the wretches fight it out themselves.

The second the Dukes get too uppity, I lower the authority, quell the rebellions with mercenaries, revoke all fucking titles and destroy them. Does that piss them off? Sure, but I make sure they go into that cell with only a tiny hole for sunlight so it doesn't matter. Then a new generation of aspiring nobles slowly grows and I crank authority back up for a generation or two.

Rinse and repeat.

And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

racurtne

« Reply #1184 on: January 17, 2013, 01:40:17 AM »
I went from being a control freak Liege to just saying fuck it and lowering Crown authority for a generation or two. Works wonders. Let the wretches fight it out themselves.

The second the Dukes get too uppity, I lower the authority, quell the rebellions with mercenaries, revoke all fucking titles and destroy them. Does that piss them off? Sure, but I make sure they go into that cell with only a tiny hole for sunlight so it doesn't matter. Then a new generation of aspiring nobles slowly grows and I crank authority back up for a generation or two.

Rinse and repeat.

Am I the only person who actually tries to keep his/her vassals happy? (albeit sometimes it just can't be done) When the rebellions come, I tend to have more supporters than rebels. If for some reason a rebel has territory not De Jure part of his Duchy (which probably happened when I wasn't King) then I take one county and leave them to rot in the hopes that their heir is smarter. If I'm pressed for cash, I can just ransom them. Usually no one has the stones to rebel again during that king's reign.

I will, however, say that I had one rebellion per generation following the creation of my Swedish Empire except for maybe one of my Emperors. Like I said, though, I had more on my side than not. The only one that got even close to succeeding I called in Hungary for aid and they had my back. High Crown Authority and Crown levy privileges along with Primogeniture succession caused more negatives than positives. I also kept getting rather poor base diplomacy with my first borns. Second and third sons, now, they kept popping as geniuses and everything. (Yes, I selectively bred with geniuses in order to produce more in my line. The problem was they didn't show up as the first borns, so once I was out of elective I had a grand time watching my ineffectual kings employ their much more capable brothers as Marshals, Chancellors, and the like.) I actually like Elective Monarchies sometimes, but I felt the Swedish Empire should have Primogeniture for kicks. Before that, it was a tradition to elect the most capable of my house, even if he was of a different branch.
Alea iacta est

spicemustflow

« Reply #1185 on: January 17, 2013, 08:27:50 AM »
Ok, what game is that with marriages and assassinations and mercenaries? (don't kill me for not having the patience to find the first post mentioning it)

Pale Horse

« Reply #1186 on: January 17, 2013, 08:40:01 AM »
Ok, what game is that with marriages and assassinations and mercenaries? (don't kill me for not having the patience to find the first post mentioning it)

Crusader Kings 2, my friend.

It's "A Song of Ice and Fire"-style rulership play during the Crusade years.

..and if you get an urge for actual Song of Ice and Fire play, there's a mod that changes everything to Westeros and you can conspire in the Kingdoms to your heart's content.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

spicemustflow

« Reply #1187 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »
Thanks. I'm not a huge fan of strategy games but all these stories made me interested in this one.

janeshephard

« Reply #1188 on: January 17, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
Thanks. I'm not a huge fan of strategy games but all these stories made me interested in this one.

Do yourself a favor, buy it off Steam with the Legacy of Rome DLC. The others, at this point, are optional I think. It goes on sale every now and then. It was 75% off before the Steam sale a month ago.

And Doomdark from Paradox mentioned a new patch late next week to fix issues in 1.09.

EDIT: Well shit:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?658342-Post-your-Republican-Empire.&s=d3d6d43d3ce7bbc014fdaa84daba3762

Guess you can build entire empires as a Republic. Apparently doomstack of mercenaries FTW.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:24:51 PM by janeshephard »

Maker

« Reply #1189 on: January 17, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
Someone please help me out on CK2.  I've read a couple posts about people being the "king of Ireland" which has me wondering what I am doing wrong?  I have been playing in Ireland over and over, but never have I found a way to become a king.  I conquer all the territiories on the island, but never get anything other than being a count, a duke, or an earl.  There is no king of Ireland, that I can find, at the start of the game, so is tehre some way to elevate to the title of king?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

lordcooper

« Reply #1190 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »
There should be a thing at the top that lets you create the title
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Maker

« Reply #1191 on: January 17, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
There should be a thing at the top that lets you create the title

Top of which dialogue?  Laws and succession?

-John F. Kennedy

lordcooper

« Reply #1192 on: January 17, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
Big buttony thing next to all the others
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

spicemustflow

« Reply #1193 on: January 17, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »
Can I play as a Targaryen and wed brothers and sisters and torture my own people?

janeshephard

« Reply #1194 on: January 17, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »
Can I play as a Targaryen and wed brothers and sisters and torture my own people?

You can inbreed yes, and you'll end up eventually with people dying from it. Though there are some advantages there you'll find like maintaining all claims within your dynasty.

There are events for torture when you have the right traits.

I haven't played the Westros mod much but it has these events and more (I felt it was just a vanity mod tbh, CK2 vanilla is incredible enough).

Malken

« Reply #1195 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »

Man, you guys just can't stop talking about that overly complicated medieval incest sim!
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1196 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
Well it's an amazing incest simulator.  I can see why so many of us love this game: murder, corruption, and betrayal are all coded game mechanics.

Pale Horse

« Reply #1197 on: January 17, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »
Someone please help me out on CK2.  I've read a couple posts about people being the "king of Ireland" which has me wondering what I am doing wrong?  I have been playing in Ireland over and over, but never have I found a way to become a king.  I conquer all the territiories on the island, but never get anything other than being a count, a duke, or an earl.  There is no king of Ireland, that I can find, at the start of the game, so is tehre some way to elevate to the title of king?

To become King of Ireland, do the following:

1. Capture enough land to usurp the title to, or create, 3 ducal titles, all of which must be held by your character.

2. Click on one of your counties.  In the information panel that pops up, you'll see a little flag that shows the name of the county and what duchy it normally belongs to.  Clicking on either one will bring up the menu that allows you to establish duchies and kingdoms or usurp titles.  All of these options have a cost associated with them.

3.  Once you have 3 ducal titles held by your character, go into the menu described above and click on the "de jure" box.  This will bring up several flags above the box that shows, from left to right, what kingdom/empire it belongs to, followed by duchy, county, etc.  Click on the icon for the Kingdom of Ireland (looks like a green harp).  You'll have a button on the left that lights up, saying "create,"  if you have enough gold to do so (generally around 300 or a little less, depending on how much land you control).  If it does not light up, you do not have the requirements needed to create it.  Hovering over the button will tell you what you need to do.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

janeshephard

« Reply #1198 on: January 17, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
Just a nitpick to what Pale Horse said, you need to control the counties. That means their are held by yourself or your vassals.

Maker

« Reply #1199 on: January 17, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »
Excellent.  Thank you for that info.

-John F. Kennedy