Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 805339 times)

Wolfsong

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1075 on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:14 PM »
If I wasn't in Australia, I'd offer to run a multiplayer match/tutorial for new players and walk them through what to do as they play.

But hey, I'm Aussie now.

Best advice...

1. Marry your King
2. Set ambition 'Have a Son'
3. Make sure the potential wife is not chaste or invalid
4. Check your Council - appoint vassals to positions, then send them places to do things. Collect taxes within your own regions.
5. Click on counties, look at the picture of castles, temples and cities, then click on those and see if you have the option to build stuff in them.
6. Speed up time and wait.
7. Practice and improve skills via ambitions.
8. Always go to feasts (unless you think it's actually a thinly veiled excuse by your liege to imprison you)
9. Always host feasts, grand tournaments, etc.
10. Intrigue plots against EVERYONE.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #1076 on: January 06, 2013, 11:52:44 PM »
Farcry 3 so guuud.

Just beat it. Had to take the "Save your friends route" because that's what I spent the entire game doing.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1077 on: January 07, 2013, 12:52:46 AM »
I accidentally Scotland.

Turns out that war on behalf of my (son's) claim to the crown was legit.

lordcooper

« Reply #1078 on: January 07, 2013, 01:59:57 AM »
Anyone care to comment on Endless Space? Is the A.I really as bad as the reviews describe?

It's a fully featured 4x with quite a few smart design decisions, let down by a few stupid ones and a complete lack of 'soul' if you know what I mean.

As for the AI...well...the game is pretty fun in multiplayer :P

@Moe: Your son left because his partner was landed and he wasn't.  This is why you should also make someone a Count before pressing their claim in war.  It's also possible to steal people's heirs this way from time to time.

@Laura: series of videos helped me out when I first started playing.  The UI really isn't that terrible, the game's just very different from...well...anything else, and takes a few hours to get used to.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:11:27 AM by lordcooper »
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #1079 on: January 07, 2013, 02:06:44 AM »
Anyone care to comment on Endless Space? Is the A.I really as bad as the reviews describe?

It's a fully featured 4x with quite a few smart design decisions, let down by a few stupid ones and a complete lack of 'soul' if you know what I mean.

Only -major- gripe I have with Endless Space is that its combat is utter shit.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

lordcooper

« Reply #1080 on: January 07, 2013, 02:22:24 AM »

Only -major- gripe I have with Endless Space is that its combat is utter shit.

It most definitely is.  It helps to think of the game as being closer to Civ in space than Sword of the Stars or something.

Cind

« Reply #1081 on: January 07, 2013, 06:28:01 AM »
Playing a couple, both with the family-oriented trait on Sims 3. Trying to raise a criminal mastermind family.

Also the father has the Evil trait. I'm still giggling every five minutes over something he does.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Pale Horse

« Reply #1082 on: January 07, 2013, 08:06:19 AM »
Started another game, this time in Ireland.

Once again, initial ruler was female.  I made their ethnicity Arabic (their portraits just look better, imo) and their culture Basque since it's the only way I can make women inherit just as men do.  I want my holdings to stay in my own control, dammit!  I will admit, I cheated and made it possible to marry anyone.  I have this whole "Song of Ice and Fire" and "Rome" thing going on where my children marry back and forth with one another (and each other) which is going to purposefully bite me in the ass later on.  Too bad I haven't found a mod that allows this without cheating, and gains the displeasure of the religious head (which I could then buy off).

So far, my initial ruler married another Basque and started the ball rolling.  They claimed two duchies in Ireland and I was working on the third when their husband died and they soon did after due to poor health (they'd gained infirm...bah!) and depression.  My neat little proto-kingdom was them split between my two eldest sons, since I hadn't ruled long enough to switch out my succession laws.

My heir married their sister and kept up good relations with their brother, even assisting with several revolts and incursions on their lands.  I, meanwhile, was busy with scheming and building up my gold and holdings to support a bigger army and grow my tech base faster.  I was in good relations with the pope and had put down several heresies.  Not that I had any gripe about them, but I didn't want to piss off the establishment.  The Holy Orders were around by now and I'd already gotten a lesson in ass-kicking by them in previous games.  My wife/sister died and I married another courtier, still being basque since half of my holdings had given up on the Irish way of life for my own.  Fortunately, my new wife and I had 3 daughters before 1 son, and the inbreeding is starting to show.  Of my last two children, one gained the "slow' trait and the other "imbecile."

Interestingly enough, one of my sisters came of age and I was able to marry her off to one of the kings of England.  Literally as soon as I'd clicked the button for the marriage, the bastard (actually was one) died and my sister ended up back in my court without ever leaving (but got the snazzy "Queen" look).  I waited a little while then married her off to the second king.  A month later, I find she's been made regent due to her husband being imprisoned in the Holy Land (making her queen of England and Jerusalem).  I checked things out and found out that there was only two heirs between her and power; a rival English King and their child.  At this point, I was thinking "hey, accident's happen" and promptly had both killed.  This made my sister's husband (free from the dungeon) king of bloody England.  As soon as this happened, I received a request from the king of Scotland to marry my daughter.

Having usurped the title to another Duchy and working on claiming the last free one in Ireland, it soon appears as if my line will be found the Empire of Britannia..if I can kick the damned Norwegians out! 
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1083 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm going to make a mod that remove the requirement of being Basque from the cognatic absolute law.  This is alternate history, after all.  Might also make it so you can appoint women to more/all council positions.  I had a daughter that somehow had 20 points in martial aptitude.  I should be able to let her be Joan of Arc or something if I see fit, lol.

I spent a little time browsing the game's files and modding of that sort seems simple enough to do.  Any other requests while I'm tinkering?  I can certainly make it available to anyone who wants.

@Moe: Your son left because his partner was landed and he wasn't.  This is why you should also make someone a Count before pressing their claim in war.  It's also possible to steal people's heirs this way from time to time.
Aye, lesson learned.  Damned kids caused a LOT of trouble.

Also WTF... I arrange a nice marriage for my son.  He goes off to her court.  They have a son.  She dies.  He marries his mother in law...  :o :-X

Meanwhile, the grandson is in charge and sets his dad, my son, as chancellor.  He starts fabricating claims on MY realm... claims he's first in line for (and the grandson is second).  I was so pissed off at that kid.  Fortunately, he died before I was forced to play as him.  Sadly, though, some nobles from a neighboring county assassinated my poor 4-year-old great granddaughter and usurped the county, removing all my lineage's claims to it.  >:(

Then...

I accidentally Scotland.

So yeah... being a king is hard.  There was another civil war almost immediately.  While leading a charge against a rebel city, I took a blow to the head and then died a few days later, passing reign to my brother.  However, turns out before I died I'd gotten my wife pregnant and she had a son!  So when assassins came for my brother/me a year later, it switched to the 1-year-old him (grandson of my starting ruler).  Then there was another civil war, but I squashed it because I could afford mercenaries.  Then there was ANOTHER civil war, once again thwarted by deep coffers.  I've got half the in-laws locked up!

So how am I supposed to stabilize a kingdom anyway?  Now that I have so many vassals, the cost of revoking titles or imprisoning people is huge, and most of them don't like me much to begin with.  Fortunately, as the current grandson of my original ruler and son of a ruler who stayed Irish, my countrymen seem a lot more tolerant compared to when my family members who were living in Wales ruled.

I don't have much money, just enough to keep a mercenary company paid during a prolonged war.  Certainly not enough to start offing troublesome dukes.

lordcooper

« Reply #1084 on: January 07, 2013, 11:03:21 AM »
The most bizarre thing I've ever seen in CK2 was when my only daughter (I was playing a Sunni Count somewhere in southern Spain) married six consecutive short-lived Scottish Kings.  I guess everyone needs a hobby.

Any other requests while I'm tinkering?  I can certainly make it available to anyone who wants.

Possibly a little more work than you're looking for, but I'd absolutely love a mod that starts everyone off as an independent Count/ess with a single province.  Even more so if every county could have it's stats (wealth, supply, tech level etc) set to the same level.

As far as stabilising a Kingdom goes, here's a few tips that have served me well in the long term.

1. You should be the same culture and religion as the majority of your vassals.  Whether that means replacing your vassals or trying to get your heir to have the right culture via education is up to you.
2. Keep those damn dukes weak.  Minimal troops, a single county, and preferably the content trait.  If they have more than one duchy or the ambitious trait, get rid of them ASAP.
3. When giving out titles, pick courtiers with low intrigue scores.
4. Marry everyone to people with low intrigue scores.
5. Make sure your vassal's heirs are educated by people with your culture/religion, low intrigue scores, and preferably the content trait.
6. Always hold all the King titles in your realm.
7. Wait until your current ruler is old/infirm/maimed/imprisoned before going on a revoking/banishment spree to minimize the length of the reputation hit.
8. I think it's safe to pretty much ignore counts once you're a king.  Focus all your efforts on the dukes.
9. Go on the Hajj/a Crusade as soon as possible.  Bring as many of your most important vassals as possible.
10. Throw frequent feasts and the occasional hunt.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:16:55 AM by lordcooper »

racurtne

« Reply #1085 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm going to make a mod that remove the requirement of being Basque from the cognatic absolute law.  This is alternate history, after all.  Might also make it so you can appoint women to more/all council positions.  I had a daughter that somehow had 20 points in martial aptitude.  I should be able to let her be Joan of Arc or something if I see fit, lol.

I spent a little time browsing the game's files and modding of that sort seems simple enough to do.  Any other requests while I'm tinkering?  I can certainly make it available to anyone who wants.

Aye, lesson learned.  Damned kids caused a LOT of trouble.

Also WTF... I arrange a nice marriage for my son.  He goes off to her court.  They have a son.  She dies.  He marries his mother in law...  :o :-X

Meanwhile, the grandson is in charge and sets his dad, my son, as chancellor.  He starts fabricating claims on MY realm... claims he's first in line for (and the grandson is second).  I was so pissed off at that kid.  Fortunately, he died before I was forced to play as him.  Sadly, though, some nobles from a neighboring county assassinated my poor 4-year-old great granddaughter and usurped the county, removing all my lineage's claims to it.  >:(

Then...

I accidentally Scotland.

So yeah... being a king is hard.  There was another civil war almost immediately.  While leading a charge against a rebel city, I took a blow to the head and then died a few days later, passing reign to my brother.  However, turns out before I died I'd gotten my wife pregnant and she had a son!  So when assassins came for my brother/me a year later, it switched to the 1-year-old him (grandson of my starting ruler).  Then there was another civil war, but I squashed it because I could afford mercenaries.  Then there was ANOTHER civil war, once again thwarted by deep coffers.  I've got half the in-laws locked up!

So how am I supposed to stabilize a kingdom anyway?  Now that I have so many vassals, the cost of revoking titles or imprisoning people is huge, and most of them don't like me much to begin with.  Fortunately, as the current grandson of my original ruler and son of a ruler who stayed Irish, my countrymen seem a lot more tolerant compared to when my family members who were living in Wales ruled.

I don't have much money, just enough to keep a mercenary company paid during a prolonged war.  Certainly not enough to start offing troublesome dukes.

Well, since you're having so many problems with the local Dukes since you're not of their culture, perhaps you should marry the most powerful one's daughter off to one of your children. Another thing you could do is try to raise  your son under the care of a Scottish woman and have your heir get the Scottish culture this way. Those are long term solutions. Imprisoning the most troublesome Dukes and keeping them there is a good idea. Later you can release them and score some points for being merciful once you feel secure.

After your character has been on the throne a while things will calm down. It's going to be rough at first because of cultural differences and general lack of ties to the Scottish nobility though.
Alea iacta est

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1086 on: January 07, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »
Possibly a little more work than you're looking for, but I'd absolutely love a mod that starts everyone off as an independent Count/ess with a single province.  Even more so if every county could have it's stats (wealth, supply, tech level etc) set to the same level.
Actually I think I know how to do that.  If I just delete all the dukes, kings, and emperors, the game might fill in all the remaining counties with randomly generated counts.  I'll try it this afternoon, if I can pull myself away from my actual game.

Though dutchies/kingdoms/empires de jure would still be built up in the same way.  I don't think it's possible to have such things be dynamic.

Old Kank

« Reply #1087 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »
I spent a little time browsing the game's files and modding of that sort seems simple enough to do. 

Speaking of modding CKII:

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned back when the game first started making the rounds, but for all the newcomers, there's a Game of Thrones mod out.

I've never gotten around to playing the mod, but I've heard great, great things about it.

lordcooper

« Reply #1088 on: January 07, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
Actually I think I know how to do that.  If I just delete all the dukes, kings, and emperors, the game might fill in all the remaining counties with randomly generated counts.  I'll try it this afternoon, if I can pull myself away from my actual game.

Though dutchies/kingdoms/empires de jure would still be built up in the same way.  I don't think it's possible to have such things be dynamic.

I know that de jure [whatever] can change over the course of a game, although I never figured out the exact rules behind the mechanic.  I think that duchies with every title belonging to either you or one of your vassals become incorporated into your primary Kingdom after quite a while, provided that their current de jure Kingdom either doesn't exist or isn't part of your realm whatsoever.  I may have got it a bit wrong, but I definitely ended up with all the Welsh counties being de jure England a few times.

There's actually already a mod that strips the vanilla de jure titles and starts everyone with a single county, but it comes with a lot of extra stuff that I dislike (unique religions and cultures for each county, a bizarre 'land grab' at the start of the game that forces you to go to war with random neighbours, and a few other oddities.

Speaking of modding CKII:

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned back when the game first started making the rounds, but for all the newcomers, there's a Game of Thrones mod out.

I've never gotten around to playing the mod, but I've heard great, great things about it.

It's very obviously unfinished, but a lot of fun if you pick one of the 'right' people to play as.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1089 on: January 07, 2013, 01:06:11 PM »
De jure doesn't change, but there's different levels of it, namely for dukes, kings, and emperors.  The kingdom de jure of England probably includes Wales.

lordcooper

« Reply #1090 on: January 07, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
De jure doesn't change, but there's different levels of it, namely for dukes, kings, and emperors.  The kingdom de jure of England probably includes Wales.

Wales is a separate de jure Kingdom, and de jure boundaries definitely can change.  I trust my memory enough to bet up to 1000 on this.

E: Googled it, I was right.  It does take 100 years to happen though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:28:46 PM by lordcooper »

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #1091 on: January 07, 2013, 07:13:35 PM »
Hey guys, you should all come watch people do Speed Runs of old games for Cancer Donations. Viewership helps even if you can't donate.

They're doing Mario right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

lordcooper

« Reply #1092 on: January 07, 2013, 07:19:04 PM »
Dude, I was just about to crash out >:(

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #1093 on: January 07, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »
Dude, I was just about to crash out >:(

:D It's been fun to watch, totally worth staying up.

lordcooper

« Reply #1094 on: January 07, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
Fair play, these guys are ridiculously good.  Do you know what the deal is with game requests, is there a list somewhere or something?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #1095 on: January 07, 2013, 08:02:44 PM »
Fair play, these guys are ridiculously good.  Do you know what the deal is with game requests, is there a list somewhere or something?

I think it's adding prize pools to upcoming races. Not really positive though. I've heard a lot of different game names though.

janeshephard

« Reply #1096 on: January 07, 2013, 08:14:17 PM »
Everyone should buy "Don't Starve" off steam now :) It's crazy fun.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

lordcooper

« Reply #1097 on: January 07, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »
Everyone should buy "Don't Starve" off steam now :) It's crazy fun.

Seconded!

th3kaiser

« Reply #1098 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
God I love CK2. Trying out the CK2 Plus mod. Gender equality is pretty wacky.  And then there's the shattered kingdoms which breaks up everyone into single counties. Makes the game way more fun if you've conquest in mind. No more getting slaughtered by the HRE or Mongols.

Pale Horse

« Reply #1099 on: January 07, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »
Once again, managed to carve out southern Iberia into a Kingdom.  Ruled for 52 years.  Had "Gender Equality" law and Elective Monarchy so they all got to vote on who got to be heir.

The most popular won when my ruler up and died suddenly during a war that the northern king of castillian had called on me.  He was getting his ass handed to him due to my invasion and the Islamic hordes that he'd kicked out coming back with a vengeance. 

And that's then it all fell apart.  Every time I use the Elective Monarchy, my initial realm disintegrates as gravelkind takes over and I'm left with NOTHING!  My ruler's older sister immediately (in one day) usurpers two Duchies from me, spawns a rebellion and gets my ruler excommunicated.  I finish off the Spanish King for a win and rush back home to put down this bitch of a sister.  She'd stolen the most developed duchy out from under me and took the lion's share of my army.  I called in several mercenary bands and was slowly winning when the Muslims declared a holy war on my Queen's only remaining personal demesne.  I'd gotten the Pope to re-instate me into the Faithful and tried to use my piety to get one the Templar Knights into my lands to fight the heathens.

No dice.  The Muslims took over (first) my little demesne and the game wouldn't let me summon the Templars.

The greed of one woman opened up the whole of Spain and doomed the hard work of almost half a century of Christian Kings' to nothing.

I'm taking my marbles and going back to Ireland!  The mainlanders play too rough.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.