Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 781605 times)

Zoltan

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1050 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
I can't recommend Crusader Kings 2 enough. Definitely get the Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome DLC. LoR adds a lot to the game, including retinues (standing armies) and factions (extra vassal political maneuvering fun/colossal pain in the ass depending on whether you're the liege lord or not). Excellent game. The stories that emerge can sometimes be straight out of A Song of Ice and Fire.

My problem lately is that I have too many awesome games, and I've placed a restriction on myself of no video games during weekdays unless I accomplish some things. Downside is that I miss playing all my awesome games. Upside is that I'm actually making real progress and completing projects in musical and literary ventures... I feel so grown up!  ::) Of course, the moment I'm not working a "real job" that entails staring at a terminal for 8+ hours straight a day, that'll all go out the window as I get back into Crackageddon...
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Akaramu

« Reply #1051 on: January 04, 2013, 11:42:37 AM »
*unimportant stuff* ...that'll all go out the window as I get back into Crackageddon...

YES! To crackageddon with you! You owe me since you stored on me, anyway.  ;)

janeshephard

« Reply #1052 on: January 04, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »
CK2 was 75% off just before steam xmas sale :)

In any case, I got Fallen Enchantress for 50% off yesterday... there's a good game there somewhere. The reviews linked on metacritic are mostly correct -- it works fine, and there's a good game there if you liked MoM. Unfortunately it's unpolished, severely lacking in the clean interface department too.

I can't seem to get a good game started. I keep getting dogpiled by the AI. Still looking for a wiki or good guide.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

lordcooper

« Reply #1053 on: January 04, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
I'm not very good at FE, but spamming pioneers at the start and founding as many settlements as possible helps a hell of a lot.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Maker

« Reply #1054 on: January 04, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »
Oh god I have no idea what I'm doing.  Started as Denmark... joined up with Norway in their conquest of England.  Decided to try and take back all of Holstein, which went OK until I pissed off the Holy Roman Empire and they squashed me with 10x as many troops as I had.

The "tutorial" for the game was abysmal.  I have no idea how to get significant amounts of money or what I'm actually supposed to be DOING aside from marrying off my swarm of children.

One thing you can do to increase money that I recently discovered is to develop the holdings.  I didn't even know there was a building aspect to the game until I accidentally stumbled across it.  I was going to start over, given this new bit of info.  My original count had made it to king of Norway, died, and the eldest took over.  His uncle then started trying to assassinate my wife and my kids, so I went to imprison him.  That failed, he revolted, his alies jumped in on me (I was viewed as tyrannical, so he had a lot of help), and I ended up in jail with nothing but one county left.  That's when I discovered the building options because, what the hell else am I gonna do sitting in prison?  I was about to restart, but then, out of nowhere, my sister, of all people, managed some sort of coup (i had time going as fast as possible by this point, so when it happened, it was over before I realized what was going on).  Next thing I knew, i was released from prison, named the heir, and the next year, she died and I was king again. 

I knew nothing of this game before reading this thread.  I'm glad you guys introduced me to it.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

Akaramu

« Reply #1055 on: January 04, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »
One other thing you can do in CK2 to get some money early on is to set your steward to collecting taxes in your main province with the highest tax income.

And you don't want to piss off the HRE, or anyone 10 times your size.  :D

janeshephard

« Reply #1056 on: January 04, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »
How to make money quickly in CK2:

* You make big bucks from wedding gifts, for yourself and immediate family.
* Kill any courtier who is rich. I think this also works for vassals. There's an inheritance tax.
* Get good with the Pope and declare a Holy War. He'll start sending you gold every so often.
* Imprison and banish your subjects -- if you don't have a good reason expect a hefty tyrant penalty.
* Once you spot holy orders, declare a holy war, spend the piety and start assaulting the castles and towns right quick instead of sieging them.

How to invest in your future:

* Build castle villages, towns and then cities and larger cities as a priority over everything else.
* Increase taxes through your laws. This will piss off your subjects.

How to piss off the world and get rich:

Appoint an anti-pope :)

And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Zoltan

« Reply #1057 on: January 04, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
Improving your holdings is key. Don't bother improving any holdings that are run by a vassal (such as temples and cities in your county) as the AI will take care of those in their own time. Don't go over your demense limit and don't own a "wrong type" of holding (city or temple if you're a noble lord). If you own a city, right click on the city portrait in the county view and Create a Vassal as soon as possible. When I build additional holdings in a province, I tend toward creating a castle for the first new one since it greatly increases your levy, but a city's not a bad idea for the extra gold. Temples are cool but can really suck if you can't keep the church on your side.

Of course, everyone knows the key to real wealth is to increase the feudal tax in your realm to Max. ::trollface::
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

janeshephard

« Reply #1058 on: January 04, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
According to one of the wikis you make more gold from a castle with a village improvement (later large city improvement) than you would having a mayor run the city because its paid directly to you, instead of to a mayor who then gives you your cut.

Zoltan

« Reply #1059 on: January 04, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
Yeah, my order of improvements to a castle holding varies, but almost all the time, my first two improvements are to the wall (multiple bonuses, including gold) and then building a castle village. In my last couple of games I have been more levy-focused than gold, but I would probably say that in the long run, gold is probably the most important, useful thing. If you keep on your toes, gold can solve a lot of problems. That said, I don't use the expensive Assassinate diplomacy button because I think it's a little game-y. Assassination -plots- on the other hand are cool. That's just my opinion, though.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Spider

« Reply #1060 on: January 04, 2013, 07:06:30 PM »
According to one of the wikis you make more gold from a castle with a village improvement (later large city improvement) than you would having a mayor run the city because its paid directly to you, instead of to a mayor who then gives you your cut.

Mayors will develop the land on their own with their own money though.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1061 on: January 04, 2013, 10:10:47 PM »
OK, I think maybe I'm getting the hang of this?

Started as a Danish duke.  Putzed around a while, kicked some Swedish ass in a war, and had two kids, a son and a daughter.  Had a rivalry with my brother Prince Knud, but the king found out about my plot to kill him and told me to knock it off.  Then Knud in turn assassinated my son (I think, it wasn't clear).  Meanwhile, King daddy had my off leading an army and I fell in battle, switching the game over to my now 13-year-old daughter. 

Knud declares war on me/her, but I used my inheritance, combined with my own personal stash, to hire some Swiss mercenaries and I kick Knud's ass all over the Danish peninsula.  He surrenders, but I feel like I'm not done with him.  So I fabricate a claim on his home county and go to war again with the same mercenaries (I had money to keep them around a long time).  I win this time too and Knud is left with just a little tiny county of Lubeck.

Sadly, the king dies and his heir (thankfully not Knud!) implements medium crown authority so I'm not allowed to finish Knud off.  I'm not quite strong enough to just break away from Denmark, so I guess it's time to try the assassination game.  I've bribed half of Knud's court and got one supporter.  Meanwhile I'm sewing dissent in the hopes I can pick up some more. 

I will kill him and avenge my baby brother!!!

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1062 on: January 04, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
ACK!  The bastard got me!  Put a snake in my bed...

I don't care what else happens but I will see Prince Knud dead!!!

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1063 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:48 PM »
Argh!  He got me again!  Now playing my own granddaughter...

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #1064 on: January 06, 2013, 05:15:24 AM »
Picked up Sleeping Dogs on the cheap during the steam sale and I'm really enjoying it so far. Something about it is drawing me in more than most open world games.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

janeshephard

« Reply #1065 on: January 06, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »
Anyone care to comment on Endless Space? Is the A.I really as bad as the reviews describe?

th3kaiser

« Reply #1066 on: January 06, 2013, 02:52:15 PM »
Yup. Don't waste your money. If you're really hankering for a 4X go play MOO2 or something.

Pale Horse

« Reply #1067 on: January 06, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »
CK2 with all the expansions.

I just got a schooling in not pissing off the major religion of the time.  I started in those little isles off the eastern cost of Spain with a custom ruler.  Female.  Heretical Christian.  Weak, wounded (for the "scarred" trait once it heals.  Plus, the snazzy look it gives my portrait!), lustful and hedonistic to off-set the fertility issues of Weak, Genius and Attractive, Arbitrary, Cynical and Patient.

Most of my vassals and court were Sunni, as was the population of my holdings.  I quickly demanded my court Imir (not sure of the spelling) to convert, then sent them out to "preach to the heathens."  Through wild diplomacy, marrying a bastard Irish noble, having a family-size that any Mormon would envy (10 kids..two sets of twins.  Guess when both the wife and husband are "lustful" things tend to happen!) and marrying them off to various factions on mainland Spain, then backstabbing, cajoling and generally being as greedy as possible, I managed to bring half of Spain under my control before my initial monarch reached 60 and attained the title of "The Great."

Then one of my allies (my heir, Duke of Valencia) had a holy war declared on him by the King of Galecia.  I stepped in to help and kicked their ass out of my family's holdings, only to then receive the message that France has joined in the war against my child.

Having seen how things tended to go when France got involved at this point in history, I mentally kissed my reign good-bye.  Sure enough, I had 20k+ cheese-eating, wine-swilling Frenchmen show up on my doorstep within a year.  My army and all my allies (including several Muslim Sultans that my daughters were married to) gave a good battle for twenty years, but it dragged all of Western Europe and parts of the Holy Roman Empire into the fray.  My entire line was eventually killed off from one fight or another and the diseases that sprouted up.

Queen Sulyana the Great saw her line and blood rise up in glory..only to end up back in my original isles, haunted by the ghosts of her slaughtered children, grandchildren and an empty castle.

She died of depression.

..I am so friggin' hooked.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:03:43 PM by Pale Horse »
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1068 on: January 06, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »
Can someone help me out with a little marriage problem?  I've had things like this seem to happen a few times now:

So, I'm a countess in Ireland and I notice that the Count of Oriel has one son and 3 daughters.  As a sneaky bastard, this seems like an opportunity.  So I betroth my eldest son to Count Oriel's eldest daughter.  Then, as soon as the marriage is ratified, I assassinate the eldest son and wait for old Oriel to die and for my son to get me a grandson.  This happens, but things don't seem as they should.

Firstly, my son is at court in Oriel, not my county.  Secondly, his son is not listed as his heir.  Also he seems to be out of my control, as when his wife died I couldn't arrange a marriage for him; he went and married his aunt-in-law (  ??? ) instead.

I'm pretty sure I had matrilineal un-checked at the betrothal... could it have gotten turned back on when the actual marriage fired?  Or does something happen when an unlanded son's wife becomes a countess?

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1069 on: January 06, 2013, 07:37:44 PM »
Also, a rich mayor revolted and after I won the war I revoked his title and locked him in the dungeon.  Then, many years later, he died... but where did his money go?  He had no heirs, though somehow he'd claimed fealty to the count next door.  Should I have executed him?

racurtne

« Reply #1070 on: January 06, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »
Can someone help me out with a little marriage problem?  I've had things like this seem to happen a few times now:

So, I'm a countess in Ireland and I notice that the Count of Oriel has one son and 3 daughters.  As a sneaky bastard, this seems like an opportunity.  So I betroth my eldest son to Count Oriel's eldest daughter.  Then, as soon as the marriage is ratified, I assassinate the eldest son and wait for old Oriel to die and for my son to get me a grandson.  This happens, but things don't seem as they should.

Firstly, my son is at court in Oriel, not my county.  Secondly, his son is not listed as his heir.  Also he seems to be out of my control, as when his wife died I couldn't arrange a marriage for him; he went and married his aunt-in-law (  ??? ) instead.

I'm pretty sure I had matrilineal un-checked at the betrothal... could it have gotten turned back on when the actual marriage fired?  Or does something happen when an unlanded son's wife becomes a countess?

I don't know if this is what happened, but never accept the computer's proposal for marriage when the time comes if you betrothed them matrilineally. They try to sneak in a normal marriage, so always make sure you are the one to send the final invitation once they are both of age.
Alea iacta est

janeshephard

« Reply #1071 on: January 06, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »

http://crusaderkings-two.wikia.com/wiki/Marriage_Guide

Your son would not get a weak claim, his sons and daughters would BTW. So you would need to kill him off, then invite to court of one his kids and press their claim in a succession crisis.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #1072 on: January 06, 2013, 09:46:54 PM »
Well I don't want to kill him off.  I groomed him quite carefully.  He has 26 diplomacy.

Meanwhile... things are happening that are strange and I don't understand them.

Like, my aforementioned grandson is now the rule of his little county, and my son, his father, is chancellor.  He sent my son to fabricate false claims against one of my own counties.  Doesn't make sense since he's already in line to inherit it, right after my own son.

Meanwhile, shit hit the fan in Scotland and there was a massive multi-stage civil war, and various factions have called me into it at one point or another.

Currently, though, one faction is warring on Scotland for my own son's claim on it (his father was a prince of Scotland).  Except, as far as I can tell, the leader of this faction has absolutely nothing to do with my son.  If they're related, I can't find it.  Meanwhile my son is much closer in bloodline to the current king, who is an actual cousin.  I've been called to fight, by the current king, but I kinda don't want to in case it means that if he loses, my son gets the kingdom. 

janeshephard

« Reply #1073 on: January 06, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »
Is your son your heir btw? I'm assuming so. Sounds like he may have the ambitious trait, and he's grabbing stuff up early :)

If he is your heir, this may not be so bad for the dynasty :)

I learned a long time ago to keep everyone in my court, and always make sure everyone is "content" except the first two in line. I then always kill off my brother after inheriting. It's the first order of business.

The game rocks because the AI is so good at roleplaying each character according to their traits :)

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #1074 on: January 06, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
I downloaded CK2 - I don't understand this game at all.  How do you make money?  How do you do...ANYTHING?  The UI is so bad I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish a single thing.  I know I'm not real big into RTS games but geez how hard can it be?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."