Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 806634 times)

lordcooper

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1000 on: December 27, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »
Got into the beta for Eador: Masters Of A Broken World.  This may well be the 4x I've been looking for.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #1001 on: December 28, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »
That looks cool keep us updated.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

slipshod

« Reply #1002 on: December 28, 2012, 12:09:14 AM »
Waiting with bated breath for the upcoming release of Expeditions: Conquistador

Looks like the best modern turn-based tactical RPG (a la Shining Force) I've seen in a while.
If anyone knows of any other recent PC titles of this sort, I'd love to hear recommendations.

Dragon Age Origins was okay, with pausing making it like a turn-based game.
The world-map stuff in Mount and Blade Warband and the Total War games is great, but the combat is faster than I like.  

In the meantime, I think I'll give Crusader Kings II a whirl.  Some people have spoken well of it in this thread.
“Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow.”

-Aaron Burr

racurtne

« Reply #1003 on: December 28, 2012, 12:55:09 AM »
Need a new starting point in CK2 that's not Spain or Ireland.

I beat both :)

I had a great time in France. Ended up becoming King of England and France, had most of the Iberian Peninsula and all of Egypt as well. I started as the Count of Bourbon.

How did you get your first Dutchy?

I tried a few starts in it and found the game ground to a halt unless I could fabricate more claims.

The King created the duchy and granted it to a rival count. I got the others to help me gang up on him. To be honest, I can't recall if I fabricated a claim on the Duchy or if I plotted. I think I plotted somehow. This was actually my first Ck2 game and was about a year ago, so I'm not entirely clear on the beginnings. I know Crown authority was low for much of the first part of the game, with France quickly becoming an elective monarchy.

Anyway, after getting the Duchy of Bourbon I played the marriage game for a LONG time. (I think I sort of gamed the system on one or two occasions. I recall marrying grandsons of other dukes matrilineally and eliminating their older brother. They may have fixed the AI's decision-making on this a bit since then. Anyway, I found it a bit gamey and decided not to do it again. Therefore you may not have the same level of success.) I got a couple of other duchies this way and found myself up for election to be king. I married the Queen of England late in the game and inherited that throne as well. That one was legitimate though.
Alea iacta est

Chettaman

• Helper
    • Facebook!
« Reply #1004 on: December 28, 2012, 08:11:21 AM »
Rumor has it they remade Zone of the Enders for the 360. I got it for a friend for christmas and now I'm waiting to get back home to see how it is. This is going to be so cool. ^_^
Live like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Harmless

« Reply #1005 on: December 28, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
Wow, master of orion 2 is awesome. I just blew everybody up on easy mode, yay! Granted, I had two crutches: epic missile spam boats (mirv, battlepods, and battleships is all that's needed) and learned how to overextend my command point reserve temporarily by making trade goods. I also otganized my colonies into food producers and ship makers.

But, I am thinking the "creative" species trait is overrated. I never used 80% of the stuff I researched and spies stole a whopping 10 trchs from me before I realized the importance of defensive spies.

Is there any way besides tech trade and spy theft to get two techs in the same "group"? I think that aituation is rare but it happens and I'd like to not take creative from now on.

Oh, and feudal government is a huge setback.

Great game! Is friday, how are you doing in it? :)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #1006 on: December 28, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
Me & the Psilons are the last ones left. We're in an alliance now. Right now neither of us have good enough tech/fleets to prevent the Antarans from wiping out any planet they want to, so after they do that, we just rebuild. After I get Shield 7 and a couple other things I think my dudes will be fine. I did manage to get the super planet but not Orion, yet. I'd like to get Orion just 'cause. The Guardian sustained 15 points of structure damage total when I threw a fleet of 15 ships at him last time. I'll have to try again when my tech is higher.

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Akaramu

« Reply #1007 on: December 28, 2012, 03:32:28 PM »
Is there any way besides tech trade and spy theft to get two techs in the same "group"? I think that aituation is rare but it happens and I'd like to not take creative from now on.

I think not, buuut you get some free high end techs when you conquer Orion. And perhaps for other events that I can't remember, as well.

On the subject of Antarans: Defeating them in their home world is one way to win the game. You'll have to acquire the tech to, and build a dimensional portal for it, or have access to the one (or was it two?) leader(s) that grant access.

I'm glad you guys enjoy the game. It's the only game, ever, that I STILL play occasionally after 10 years.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:34:08 PM by Akaramu »

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #1008 on: December 28, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
Yeah if Master of Orion 2 had mudsex I wouldn't need Arm.

janeshephard

« Reply #1009 on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:37 AM »
If its still on sale go get "King of Dragon Pass" from GoG. Seriously crazy addictive like MOO 2.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Narf

« Reply #1010 on: December 29, 2012, 01:17:45 AM »
Yeah if Master of Orion 2 had mudsex I wouldn't need Arm.

You haven't gotten to that point of the game yet?

racurtne

« Reply #1011 on: December 29, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »
If its still on sale go get "King of Dragon Pass" from GoG. Seriously crazy addictive like MOO 2.

This is precisely the kind of game I've been in the mood to play lately.  ;D
Alea iacta est

Maker

« Reply #1012 on: December 29, 2012, 08:06:50 AM »
Me & the Psilons are the last ones left. We're in an alliance now. Right now neither of us have good enough tech/fleets to prevent the Antarans from wiping out any planet they want to, so after they do that, we just rebuild. After I get Shield 7 and a couple other things I think my dudes will be fine. I did manage to get the super planet but not Orion, yet. I'd like to get Orion just 'cause. The Guardian sustained 15 points of structure damage total when I threw a fleet of 15 ships at him last time. I'll have to try again when my tech is higher.

Damnit, man!!  I have resisted dusting off my copy of that game for as long as you have been posting, but you have worn me down.  Installing now...
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

lordcooper

« Reply #1013 on: December 29, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »
After spending more of my waking hours playing Eador: Masters Of A Broken World than not, it's probably safe to say that I absolutely adore it.  It's a bit peculiar and quite far from your typical 4x game, but it absolutely has that 'one more turn' quality.

The basic game seems to have more in common with Heroes of Might & Magic than anything else.  You start by picking one shard (basically a chunk of floating world, can vary in size, terrain types, inhabitants etc) from several and set out to conquer it.  You begin each shard with a single province that contains your capital.  As far as I can tell there is no way to found other cities.  You can upgrade your city with a shitload of different buildings, but you're often limited to picking only a few of each type.  There's a really neat feature that allows you to see the ongoing development of the city.  Both your city and the villages found in other provinces have their population capped by the percentage of the province that has been explored.  You can also build up to three different buildings per province.  Each province will generally be inhabited by a single race who will typically confront you when you move a hero there.  Depending on the race and your own prior actions, you may be able to bribe, kill, or form an alliance with them.  You may only form an alliance with one race other than humans, making it a crucial decision as you gain the ability to use them as troops.  Provinces can rebel if their approval rating drops too far, and occasionally present you with a variety of interesting decisions.

Troops are utterly disposable at the start of the game (although this can change as they begin to level up), and it isn't unusual to end a tactical battle with only your hero left.  Heroes can be of four main types (Commander, Wizard, Scout and Warrior), each of which plays very differently once a few abilities have been unlocked.  There are subclasses that can be unlocked at level 10 that add a lot more variety to them.  Troops may only be moved as part of a hero's army, although you can leave them behind to guard specific provinces if you wish.

One mechanic that works particularly well is exploration.  Each province can be explored something like thirty times, raising the population cap each time.  When exploring, you may come across bandits, a new location (you can visit them on any turn), a merchant, rare troops to recruit or someone who offers you a quest.  This serves to slow down the rampant expansion typical of the genre rather nicely in my opinion, and adds an almost roguelike feel to the game in places.  This is further reinforced by just how damn difficult the game gets.  Even playing on the easiest mode is a hell of a challenge, but in a Losing is Fun way.

All in all, this is shaping up to be one of my all time favourite games.  Barely a turn goes by that doesn't allow you to make a difficult and interesting decision.

I only found this out recently, but apparently it's a remake of an older Russian game called Eador: Genesis that has been translated and released on GoG for a pittance.  There are a few changes between the two (most obviously, the graphics are no longer eye gougingly horrible) but it's pretty much the same the same game.  I'd suggest waiting for the new one (release date is Q1 2013), but just thought I'd let you guys know it's there if you want.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #1014 on: December 29, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »
I broke out Medieval2Total War a few days ago. Been playing an hour or two a night when I can, and it's great. I remembered how ridiculously easy the game was on very hard/very hard, so I plotted to make it more difficult.

I packed up England and moved it, every stitch and stick, to the Holy Land.

First turn I built ships and prepared to embark en masse. I left one garrison spear in each of my three starting settlements, and everything else spent the next fifteen turns or so sailing. I planned to snag Jerusalem with a crusade and start there, but the ole Pope screwed me five turns too soon by calling for Cairo instead and requesting my Heir take the cross. So I took my 3/4 stack of troops, a spy, a priest and a princess, and razed Egypt. By the time I'd taken a couple of settlements, Alexandria and Cairo, my army was in tatters, but I changed my capitol to Cairo, gave London and Nottingham to the Scots, Caen to France, and plunged into the Holy Land. -Pretty quickly got a Jihad called against Cairo, Turks join the Egyptians against me, and the massed stacks began to flood in. I ended up using penny-packets of a unit of hobilars, two militia spears in schiltron, and a set of merc horse archers when I could get them. I won some stunning victories. One of these, right after I got my first longbow unit and staked a bridge opening, annihilated an army nearly ten times the size of my own, but I admit it was mostly staked cavalry. Still badass.

Right now Egyptians are down to Antioch and Jedda, both besieged by tiny english armies, but the Turks have two stacks sieging good King Rufus and a hundred spears and sixty-odd longbowmen in Damascus. Don't think I'll pull that one off, but maybe.

Good fun. Was never very impressed by this game, but this one has been challenging.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

slipshod

« Reply #1015 on: December 30, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
So I have started playing Crusader Kings 2, and I am enjoying it, but I had an issue crop up.  The AI keeps taking control of my main character and using him like an NPC.  It started when my liege died of pox in the middle of a war, and his toddler son was too young to take command of the army.  I marched my count down to reinforce the king's forces, and because he was the highest ranked noble present on our side, he got assigned command of the army's center.  After the battle, though, the AI kept control of him.  When the war was over, control of him was returned to me, but now a year has passed in the game and a new war started - I hadn't even levied any troops for it yet, and the AI snatched my character (now a duke) up and once again put him in command of the royal forces of the 5 year old king.  My character has a low combat skill, and the AI keeps throwing him into huge battles which require me to levy from my vassals and send reinforcements in order to not get defeated.  I checked the paradox forums and elsewhere and saw no references to the AI stealing someone's main character.

-Aaron Burr

Maker

« Reply #1016 on: December 30, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »
Ok, so loaded up what I thought was Masters of Orion 2, only to realize at the opening it was Masters of Orion 3. Went ahead and started a game anyway and realized very quickly why I put that game in deep storage so long ago.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

janeshephard

« Reply #1017 on: December 30, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »
So I have started playing Crusader Kings 2, and I am enjoying it, but I had an issue crop up.  The AI keeps taking control of my main character and using him like an NPC.  It started when my liege died of pox in the middle of a war, and his toddler son was too young to take command of the army.  I marched my count down to reinforce the king's forces, and because he was the highest ranked noble present on our side, he got assigned command of the army's center.  After the battle, though, the AI kept control of him.  When the war was over, control of him was returned to me, but now a year has passed in the game and a new war started - I hadn't even levied any troops for it yet, and the AI snatched my character (now a duke) up and once again put him in command of the royal forces of the 5 year old king.  My character has a low combat skill, and the AI keeps throwing him into huge battles which require me to levy from my vassals and send reinforcements in order to not get defeated.  I checked the paradox forums and elsewhere and saw no references to the AI stealing someone's main character.

You can assign leaders to the army when its on your own provinces.

If your character is too young to rule a regent takes over but you still issue commands. I think what happened is you had Gavelkind succession and one of your siblings took a chunk of your demense.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

slipshod

« Reply #1018 on: December 30, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
No, it's not that, Jane.  Here's what happened:

I was playing (in Crusader Kings 2) a count, with no siblings and a few underage children.  I betrothed my eldest daughter to the son of my NPC King (of Leon).  My NPC King got himself involved in a civil war, and as a good royalist I was on his side.  The war got to a point where my king had one army of about 550 guys left, and the other side had two armies of about 770 each.  My count was leading his own small levy of about 200 guys, looking for small groups of fleeing enemies to pick off.  The NPC King died suddenly of pox, and his 5 year old son could not take his place commanding the NPC army (it had one untitled courier and a lowly mayor on the flanks when the King died).  One of the 770 strong opposing armies engaged the King's 550-strong army (now under the command of the mayor).  I rushed my count and his 200 men down to the same province, and they joined the King's army with the battle ongoing.  At this point, my Count took the center flank of the joint army.  When the battle finished, our combined forces were now enough to resume a siege on the province.  We finished the siege successfully, and then the 550-man NPC army marched away with my Count now in gray and under AI control.  His levy was left without a commander, so I assigned the marshall and attached it to the NPC army to continue the war.  The AI made my Count march the King's army off to fight the remaining 770 enemies, and I had to bolster him with his own levy and the vassal levy's so he could win.  The 5 year old King then made a white peace with the opposing faction, the war ended and my count returned to my control.  Now, a year or two later, the NPC king is still a little kid, and though he has an NPC regent and marshall and court of his own, whenever he goes to war his main army is controlled by my PC Duke, and I have to use other characters from my court to control my armies.  It seems like some kind of glitch was triggered when the old NPC King died while leading an army and my count's rank made him the goto commander - but now it keeps going to my duke to lead the army instead of assigning someone from the King's court.  I hope when the King turns 16 he'll start leading his own army and I'll have my character back in wartime.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:26:28 PM by slipshod »

-Aaron Burr

lordcooper

« Reply #1019 on: December 30, 2012, 06:17:40 PM »
Your character is held to the same rules as any other character in the game.  When you're a king and you raise an army, NPC counts and dukes will be leading it.  The Kingdom of Leon is pretty damn small, so the chances of you being picked are high.  This is working as intended.

janeshephard

« Reply #1020 on: December 30, 2012, 07:22:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure raising levies pisses off your liege. Same thing if you raise levies off your vassals.

Well, it gives a negative modifier to opinion.

Technically you're supposed to let him raise levies and run the war.

lordcooper

« Reply #1021 on: December 31, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »

Patuk

« Reply #1022 on: December 31, 2012, 10:12:22 AM »
http://pope.jeffsys.net/play.php?g=trt

it made me lol sadly

Oh man.. If I were any good at this I'd make a zalanthan version named 'the Tuluki times'. It fits the setting perfectly.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

racurtne

« Reply #1023 on: December 31, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »
No, it's not that, Jane.  Here's what happened:

I was playing (in Crusader Kings 2) a count, with no siblings and a few underage children.  I betrothed my eldest daughter to the son of my NPC King (of Leon).  My NPC King got himself involved in a civil war, and as a good royalist I was on his side.  The war got to a point where my king had one army of about 550 guys left, and the other side had two armies of about 770 each.  My count was leading his own small levy of about 200 guys, looking for small groups of fleeing enemies to pick off.  The NPC King died suddenly of pox, and his 5 year old son could not take his place commanding the NPC army (it had one untitled courier and a lowly mayor on the flanks when the King died).  One of the 770 strong opposing armies engaged the King's 550-strong army (now under the command of the mayor).  I rushed my count and his 200 men down to the same province, and they joined the King's army with the battle ongoing.  At this point, my Count took the center flank of the joint army.  When the battle finished, our combined forces were now enough to resume a siege on the province.  We finished the siege successfully, and then the 550-man NPC army marched away with my Count now in gray and under AI control.  His levy was left without a commander, so I assigned the marshall and attached it to the NPC army to continue the war.  The AI made my Count march the King's army off to fight the remaining 770 enemies, and I had to bolster him with his own levy and the vassal levy's so he could win.  The 5 year old King then made a white peace with the opposing faction, the war ended and my count returned to my control.  Now, a year or two later, the NPC king is still a little kid, and though he has an NPC regent and marshall and court of his own, whenever he goes to war his main army is controlled by my PC Duke, and I have to use other characters from my court to control my armies.  It seems like some kind of glitch was triggered when the old NPC King died while leading an army and my count's rank made him the goto commander - but now it keeps going to my duke to lead the army instead of assigning someone from the King's court.  I hope when the King turns 16 he'll start leading his own army and I'll have my character back in wartime.

The king can assign your guy as he pleases because he is your liege, just as you can assign people when you raise your own levies. You can still play as you want, but your count/duke has been assigned a post by the king. It isn't a glitch. You can still control your territory. Your guy has obligations. Having a high martial skill makes the npc lieges want to employ your guy as a commander. Them's the breaks.
Alea iacta est

WarriorPoet

« Reply #1024 on: December 31, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »
CK2 pisses me off. Great game, but it hates my laptop. :( Playing 1.00 is fine. Works as perfectly as an initial release can be expected to.

If I apply a patch, any patch, the game loads fine but I can't see the interface. Nothing. Nicely rendered map that I can click all over. The buttons work, but I can't see them or the portraits. Grrr.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...