Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 732745 times)

janeshephard

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #975 on: December 26, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »
In CK2, does anyone use their diplomat for things other than:

(1) Fabricate Claim.
(2) Parked in Rome chatting up the Pope for influence.

That's all I've been using so far.

BTW, if you have not bought Crusader Kings 2 you really need to. I just checked and I'm nearing 200 hours played according to Steam.

I use my chancellor to chat up vassals that hate me and improve their opinion of me. Does sending the chancellor to the pope actually work? I always send my bishop to the pope, rather than the chancellor, which works very well.

Yes. If you have a really good chancellor you get a very high bonus to relations with him.

What does your Bishop do in Rome?

EDIT: And as far as I have seen, moving your Chancellor out of a county after this mission makes the relationship bonus go away. So you clearly want him to focus on one person, stay there, and not leave until you no longer need the improved relations. In the case of Rome, it helps avoid Excommunication unless I have a good relationship with the Pope to begin with :)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:15:16 AM by janeshephard »
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Akaramu

« Reply #976 on: December 26, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
I dunno. Using my bishop councillor always seems to improve relations with the pope faster than if I used the chancellor.

lordcooper

« Reply #977 on: December 26, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
I've been playing a fair bit of Drox Operative lately.  It's one of the few ARPGs I've ever enjoyed.  You have an extremely upgradeable spaceship and start in a section of the universe generated according to your specifications (number of civilizations, how advanced they are, 'monster' strength, size etc).  You are given no instructions whatsoever other than a list of victory conditions that range from defeating all but one empire and then allying with them, creating a diplomatic coalition, becoming a legend (running missions for the various empires, defeating large threats to them etc), making a shit load of cash, to making every empire utterly fear you.

Empires expand on their own, fighting 'monsters' and each other depending on their nature and current views of each other.  You can influence this through propaganda, espionage, sabotage and spreading rumours.  You can try to pick the winning side and ensure their quick victory, attempt to engineer a state of equilibrium, or just flat out ignore them for the most part.  It is good and deserves your money.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Patuk

« Reply #978 on: December 26, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »
I finally finished my evil playthrough of Planescape: Torment today.

.. I feel like such an enormous bastard it's unbelievable.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

solera

« Reply #979 on: December 26, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »

A game that's on my list of "must play some day"

janeshephard

« Reply #980 on: December 26, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
I dunno. Using my bishop councillor always seems to improve relations with the pope faster than if I used the chancellor.

I think we're talking about the same thing.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

janeshephard

« Reply #981 on: December 26, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »
Just finished Dishonored and had the "good" ending, with low chaos. I didn't get my achieves for not killing anyone because one or two missions seem to always give killed even if I knock the target unconscious. Oh well.

It wasn't so short -- Steam shows 19 hours played. I took my time making sure I picked all rewards, and the sidequests on each map.

I liked the morality system, and how it played into the main theme.

Jingo

« Reply #982 on: December 26, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »
After buying half a dozen games.

Why is DarkSouls the only one I want to play?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

janeshephard

« Reply #983 on: December 26, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »
After buying half a dozen games.

Why is DarkSouls the only one I want to play?

It's very rewarding.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #984 on: December 26, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »
Master of Orion 2 is kicking my ass. I really like this game.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

spicemustflow

« Reply #985 on: December 27, 2012, 12:46:25 AM »

I can't do evil in that game, I feel like too much of a shit. It's about the only game where playing good doesn't make me feel like an idiot.

Patuk

« Reply #986 on: December 27, 2012, 01:55:30 AM »

I can't do evil in that game, I feel like too much of a shit. It's about the only game where playing good doesn't make me feel like an idiot.

An RPG with an alignment system is a good one when the evil acts you commit really -do- make you feel like some kind of bastard.

Try playing Jade Empire sometime. The choices are equally atrocious, but now they have actual voice actors to go along with them.

Akaramu

« Reply #987 on: December 27, 2012, 02:35:58 AM »
Master of Orion 2 is kicking my ass. I really like this game.

Make sure you design your ships, because if you don't, they will suck. It's an option that can easily be overlooked. Protip: In the early stages of the game, a full loadout of missiles is best, because beam weapons will just be inaccurate and their damage will suck.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #988 on: December 27, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »
Today's deal at GOG.com  http://www.gog.com/promo/dungeons___dragons_deal  --  Seriously an amazing bundle of games if you like Baulder's Gate, Planescape, etc.

Edit:  Just noticed this deal is up in about an hour and a half!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:19:57 AM by JustAnotherGuy »
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

spicemustflow

« Reply #989 on: December 27, 2012, 09:30:22 AM »

An RPG with an alignment system is a good one when the evil acts you commit really -do- make you feel like some kind of bastard.

Try playing Jade Empire sometime. The choices are equally atrocious, but now they have actual voice actors to go along with them.

Tried it, wasn't bad, forgot why I didn't finish it. I don't remember Closed Fist being more than standard "petty asshole evil", though.

Patuk

« Reply #990 on: December 27, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »

Tried it, wasn't bad, forgot why I didn't finish it. I don't remember Closed Fist being more than standard "petty asshole evil", though.

For the most of the game this is true, but then towards the end it gets full-on-fiendishly evil.

Akaramu

« Reply #991 on: December 27, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
Okay. I didn't like Skyrim vanilla too much, was too simple and easy. But Skyrim with the Requiem total overhaul mod ROCKS! I've now actually had a chance to test it, and whoa, totally different (and massively more interesting) game. There are mobs in the very first story related dungeon that ONE-HIT kill a level 7 character, so tactics and properly timed blocking, as well as the placement of perks suddenly matter a whole lot. And no more stupid scaling of mobs and loot. The world is static in a way that makes sense, high-end dungeons contain high-end gear and will wipe the floor with a newbie character. Dragons are actually scary.

I'm -really- enjoying Skyrim for the first time ever. Vanilla was bleh.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:53:27 PM by Akaramu »

Kol

« Reply #992 on: December 27, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/NVIDIAGeForce?sk=app_424559564282066&app_data

You can apparently get free keys for Metro 2033 for the next few days. I have it on x-box, but I know some of you are PC gamers. If you haven't brought it already, I'd say this is a good time to get on it.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #993 on: December 27, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
These Antarans and space dragons are destroying all my dudes.... :(
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

janeshephard

« Reply #994 on: December 27, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
Need a new starting point in CK2 that's not Spain or Ireland.

I beat both :)

lordcooper

« Reply #995 on: December 27, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »

Winterfell?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

AmandaGreathouse

• Inspiration on Tap:
« Reply #996 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
Downloading the Dragonborn DLC/Expansion for Skyrim now. Can't wait to give it a whirl and I expect I'll love it.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

racurtne

« Reply #997 on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:57 PM »

I had a great time in France. Ended up becoming King of England and France, had most of the Iberian Peninsula and all of Egypt as well. I started as the Count of Bourbon.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:55:31 PM by racurtne »
Alea iacta est

janeshephard

« Reply #998 on: December 27, 2012, 10:22:19 PM »
Looking for opinions on War of the Roses. Especially a comparison to Chivalry: Medieval Combat.

janeshephard

« Reply #999 on: December 27, 2012, 11:22:17 PM »

I had a great time in France. Ended up becoming King of England and France, had most of the Iberian Peninsula and all of Egypt as well. I started as the Count of Bourbon.

How did you get your first Dutchy?

I tried a few starts in it and found the game ground to a halt unless I could fabricate more claims.