Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 758315 times)

Akaramu

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #875 on: December 18, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
Oh, and Aztecs come in stacks of 100K. They didn't land in my territory, but the mayhem was fun to watch from afar  :P

They sacrifice rulers and stuff.

Tuannon

« Reply #876 on: December 18, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »
I can't vote for Forsaken Fortress on Steam Greenlight.  :'(

janeshephard

« Reply #877 on: December 18, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »
Oh, and Aztecs come in stacks of 100K. They didn't land in my territory, but the mayhem was fun to watch from afar  :P

They sacrifice rulers and stuff.

I'd so turn this DLC off or not even get it.

BTW, are you talking about the Republic expansion? Reading up on it now, sounds like it alters the game significantly.

EDIT: nevermind I think you're talking about "Legacy of Rome" DLC.

EDIT2: This is the upcoming expansion in 2013:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/08/crusader-kings-iis-next-expansion-announced-the-republic/

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:32:12 PM by janeshephard »
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

lordcooper

« Reply #878 on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »
Beta signups are open for the Magicka developer's next game.  It looks rather cool.

http://beta.theshowdowneffect.com/?ref=cba3d17812a
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #879 on: December 19, 2012, 12:17:46 AM »
-.-

Yeah it does, but click my link instead!

http://beta.theshowdowneffect.com/?ref=4d390560dc8

lordcooper

« Reply #880 on: December 19, 2012, 12:29:34 AM »

janeshephard

« Reply #881 on: December 19, 2012, 02:27:33 AM »
I don't get why Borderlands 2 has less ammo drops and vendors, but all enemies seem to require twice as many bullets... grrr...
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

lordcooper

« Reply #882 on: December 19, 2012, 04:00:39 AM »
http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

So much derp.  I don't understand how this was the best explanation they managed to come up with.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:06:24 AM by lordcooper »

janeshephard

« Reply #883 on: December 19, 2012, 04:51:15 AM »
http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

So much derp.  I don't understand how this was the best explanation they managed to come up with.

Sounds like most "free to play" MMOs, although hilariously you have to actually buy the base game which is where I can see people getting mad.

lordcooper

« Reply #884 on: December 19, 2012, 05:15:59 AM »
Oh gods, it gets even better.

Apparently a new patch forces players to either wait 4 hours upon death, or pay to revive immediately.  In a game you've already paid for.

Also, the ToS has a fantastic new addition.

ONCE YOU AGREE TO THIS TERMS OF SERVICE AND THE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR THE GAME (THE “EULA”) AND SERVICE FOR THE GAME COMMENCES, YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ELIGIBLE FOR A REFUND FOR ANY AMOUNTS OR OTHER CONSIDERATION PAID BY YOU FOR THE USE (OR FUTURE USE) OF THE GAME CLIENT OR THE SERVICE.

This being flat out illegal.

janeshephard

« Reply #885 on: December 19, 2012, 09:09:51 AM »
Steam won't get involved. I highly doubt they want to get involved in this mess.

Worse case scenario they delist the game due to high number of complaints.

lordcooper

« Reply #886 on: December 19, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »
You're probably right.

In other news it is my turn to GM next in my tabletop group and I'm basing the campaign around Dark Souls.  I'm currently torn between a post age of fire setting, game-period darkwraiths, or a more traditional campaign involving an escape from Seath's prison.  Any awesome suggestions would be appreciated :)

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #887 on: December 19, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »
gog.com has a bunch of games on sale for their holiday sale.  I just picked up Witcher 2 for $7.50 and also picked up the Might and Magic pack.  One heck of a steal there.  Only has like 20 hours left on it though.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

janeshephard

« Reply #888 on: December 19, 2012, 12:19:41 PM »
Is it just me or does Borderlands 2 have very inaccurate weapons compared to Borderlands? The sway on many of these guns makes it impossible to aim and shoot.

I'm only level 10 and not impressed :(

janeshephard

« Reply #889 on: December 19, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »
I guess Valve got sick of the complaints:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/19/the-war-z-removed-from-steam/

EDIT:

And in other news:

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-dark-souls-ii-details-outlined-edge-interview

More accessible, and the possibility of a tutorial to begin with (limiting options until the player is ready).

Also it's prettier.

Will take place in a different world that's "connected" to Dark Souls.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:25:50 PM by janeshephard »

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #890 on: December 20, 2012, 03:37:12 AM »
I love saints row the third
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #891 on: December 20, 2012, 04:28:35 AM »
I played an Arma II mission with bcw81 and we learned the hard way how bad he is as a gunner!

Our humvee was rolling through a small town filled with civilians, taking sporadic fire from the surrounding hills, when all of the sudden, a machine gun lights us up from straight down the road. Four guys are laying there in the middle of the road not even 40 feet away shooting at us, while I'm shouting at Skype and bcw81 spins the turret around aimlessly until he dies.

Should have just ran them over.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #892 on: December 20, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »
I was aiming for the tits coming down over the mountain with the RPG, you jackass. I feel like they had priority.

I'll drive next time, if you want to understand how bad the FoV is in that gun.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Kol

« Reply #893 on: December 20, 2012, 11:14:56 AM »

Been having fun with this one...
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

janeshephard

« Reply #894 on: December 20, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »
steam xmas sale is officially ON!

lordcooper

« Reply #895 on: December 20, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
http://www.examiner.com/article/new-dark-souls-ii-details-outlined-edge-interview

More accessible, and the possibility of a tutorial to begin with (limiting options until the player is ready).

Also it's prettier.

Will take place in a different world that's "connected" to Dark Souls.

Hmmm.  It's hard to really be against the inclusion of a tutorial without sounding like an elitist jackass, but I really fucking detest hand holdy introductions/games that limit your options for no real reason.  I hope it's either possible to skip the tutorial or at the very least it takes under half an hour.  The Souls games have always drawn me in for multiple playthroughs.   Are the mechanics actually that difficult to grasp?  They always seemed about as intuitive and tight as it's possible to get to me, which makes me a little worried about it being 'more accessible'.  That could either mean being more up front about features like covenants and humanity (no thanks, I really enjoyed the uncertainty and entire process of slowly figuring this stuff out), a decrease in difficulty (this would go down exceedingly poorly with at least 90% of the fanbase, me included), or a more exposition heavy method of storytelling (this would take away my favourite thing about the series).  Colour me concerned.

Prettier is always nice though.

steam xmas sale is officially ON!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

BadSkeelz

« Reply #896 on: December 20, 2012, 01:32:18 PM »
So Everquest, my first MMO addiction 10+ years ago, is now free to play to some extent. Only four and four classes unlocked to start, with just about everything else being pay-to-unlock (including trolls  :'(). It's amusing working my way through the newbie zones, seeing how they've made things easier on the lowbies. You can actually win 1v1 fights against the occasional yellow, now. As a warrior, even! And HP doesn't regenerate at a flat 2hp/10 seconds or whatever it was, which back in the day meant you'd spent a half hour resting after fighting off that ravenous bunny rabbit.

Was surprised to see that there was a Roleplaying server still up, though I never played on it back in the day. Given that the first character I saw was a troll shadowknight named Stinkee Pete, I think it's safe to assume that the caliber of EQ roleplaying is still the gold standard.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Malken

« Reply #897 on: December 20, 2012, 01:38:33 PM »
The new Humble Bundle is out:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Not as epic as the last one, but still decent enough for a few good games!

You also get Indie: The Movie

Great watch if you were still thinking about making a living as a game developer. This movie will make you realize that becoming an accountant like your mum always wanted you to be wasn't such a bad idea after all.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Jingo

« Reply #898 on: December 20, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »
You're probably right.

In other news it is my turn to GM next in my tabletop group and I'm basing the campaign around Dark Souls.  I'm currently torn between a post age of fire setting, game-period darkwraiths, or a more traditional campaign involving an escape from Seath's prison.  Any awesome suggestions would be appreciated :)

I thought of this first!
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Synthesis

« Reply #899 on: December 20, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »
While we're on the subject of old games that make us happy: I still play this today, and it's ancient. BEST GAME EVER.

What is that, Space Empires?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.