Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 806797 times)

Jingo

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #825 on: December 12, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #826 on: December 12, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »
Decided to play DayZ again after remembering the fun times I had with Yam and the Day/v/ crew back when it came out.

Holy fucking shit whoever decided to remove spawn weapons and not give you anything to replace them deserves to be kicked in the fucking mouth. Running for 45 minutes because a marathon-sprinter zombie spotted you from 300 feet away and you have no weapons and zombies ignore all intervening objects including walls is not fun. It's fucking stupid.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

lordcooper

« Reply #827 on: December 13, 2012, 02:47:43 AM »
Left my little sister alone for ten minutes while babysitting and she managed to boot up my game and kill Solaire.  Not a happy bunny.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

janeshephard

« Reply #828 on: December 13, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
When does the Steam xmas sale usually begin?

Looking to pick up Borderlands 2 on the cheap, and whatever else I missed this year.

EDIT: Just checked out the trailer of Dark Souls 2. Looks like an undead dude making his way to Lordran after Gwyn gives him a feather. Not sure who the bad guys in the masks are.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:38:17 PM by janeshephard »
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Chettaman

• Helper
    • Facebook!
« Reply #829 on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
Not a bloody chance.  It's amazing how much of the game is actually skill/knowledge rather than stat/equipment based.  I've managed to ring both bells in just over 90 minutes, it took me about 30 hours to do this the first time I played it.

Considering how much upgrading your stats and equipment matters, it's no surprise at all.

Though if you ever do get into the PvP scene here's a tip : the first five moves of any combat consist of convincing your opponent he can't backstab you.

Enjoy!

Dood. the first time I ran through the game:
I didn't have online capabilities
I didn't know you could summon NPCs
My LB button was broken so I couldn't actually block with a shield.
I had no clue you could UPGRADE WEAPONS until after I beat smough and ornstein and someone told me at work. - this was also after killing; the gorgoyles, qualag, ceaseless discharge, the gaping dragon, going the long way into the swamp - and killing the hydra.

I defeated all of the special soul bosses without being able to block. Including the final one.

How dare you say this game isn't about skill...
Live like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Dalmeth

« Reply #830 on: December 13, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »

Given the context of the general conversation of items versus skills, Dark Souls is a game with few necessary items or powerups.

Thus, Dark Souls is a game where what you do with those items is paramount, thus making it all about planning and skill.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

janeshephard

« Reply #831 on: December 14, 2012, 03:36:13 AM »

I had no clue you could UPGRADE WEAPONS until after I beat smough and ornstein and someone told me at work. - this was also after killing; the gorgoyles, qualag, ceaseless discharge, the gaping dragon, going the long way into the swamp - and killing the hydra.

I defeated all of the special soul bosses without being able to block. Including the final one.

You're my hero.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Akaramu

« Reply #832 on: December 14, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »
How DO you summon NPCs in Dark Souls?  :o

janeshephard

« Reply #833 on: December 14, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »

Other players leave a white mark on the ground step over it and click.

lordcooper

« Reply #834 on: December 14, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »

Other players leave a white mark on the ground step over it and click.

NPCs also do this from time to time.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #835 on: December 14, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »
Certain NPCs like Knight Solaire, Knight Lautrec, and Maneater Mildred can be summoned at various locations prior to bossfights. They can be summoned by activating the glowing summon signs on the ground the same way you'd summon a player.

Golden sign = Summon sign for a member of the Sunlight Warriors
White sign = Summon sign for a friendly player
Red sign = Will summon a hostile player
Purple eye = Will summon a member of the Everlast Dragon covenant to fight you

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder is a dude, so that's definitely not Gwyn in the Dark Souls 2 trailer. Gwynevere is the only female deity in Anor Londo and it's definitely not her. Assuming DS2 takes place in the same universe, I'm pretty certain it's going to be in an entirely different part of the world or time period, perhaps the homeland of Magnificent Chester since the masked assassins in the trailer bear some similarity to him.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

thatkid

« Reply #836 on: December 14, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
So I'm not sure what the hype about Dishonored was, and I'm no doubt a little late on the draw for this game, but...
Have the people on this island never heard of cats before?

Dalmeth

« Reply #837 on: December 15, 2012, 12:04:45 AM »

You have to restore your humanity at a bonfire.  Costs one humanity.  Then you should see NPC summon signs in the walk up to the boss fight.

Also, you'll see other players' summon signs all over the damned place.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Chettaman

• Helper
    • Facebook!
« Reply #838 on: December 15, 2012, 07:05:12 AM »

You're my hero.

baby, I know it.
Live like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Wolfsong

« Reply #839 on: December 16, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »

Looks pretty cool.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

lordcooper

« Reply #840 on: December 17, 2012, 02:48:12 AM »
Finished Mark of the Ninja today.  It's basically the best stealth game I've ever played.

Romy

« Reply #841 on: December 17, 2012, 04:23:40 AM »
Getting 100% on ACIII is so booboo. I'll never get the platinum trophy. :'(
Quote from: Nyr
>mount corpse

Apt.

janeshephard

« Reply #842 on: December 17, 2012, 10:36:14 AM »
The legend returns...

!

I haven't tried the remake yet but may pick it up on Steam sale.

mattrious

« Reply #843 on: December 17, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
Been playing Dark Souls and really enjoying it. Super frustrated when I've been getting invaded and griefed. Also, does anyone else have issues summoning others to help? I've only had one success in summoning someone. I tried opening ports and setting up a DMZ - but I keep failing summons. Suggestions?

janeshephard

« Reply #844 on: December 17, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Been playing Dark Souls and really enjoying it. Super frustrated when I've been getting invaded and griefed. Also, does anyone else have issues summoning others to help? I've only had one success in summoning someone. I tried opening ports and setting up a DMZ - but I keep failing summons. Suggestions?

Occasional problems.

Don't forget you can drop the whitestone to help and regain your humanity. I'd hate to see you go hollow!

mattrious

« Reply #845 on: December 17, 2012, 06:13:36 PM »

Occasional problems.

Don't forget you can drop the whitestone to help and regain your humanity. I'd hate to see you go hollow!

I mean there is nothing wrong with being hollow, right? The only benefit to being alive is that people can join you or invade, correct? No need to be human if I can never summon help. I just keep getting invaded and griefed. It sucks.

lordcooper

« Reply #846 on: December 17, 2012, 06:23:08 PM »

Occasional problems.

I mean there is nothing wrong with being hollow, right? The only benefit to being alive is that people can join you or invade, correct? No need to be human if I can never summon help. I just keep getting invaded and griefed. It sucks.

Item drops, defence and curse resistance are significantly lower while hollow and certain events only happen while in one state or the other.  The constant invasions by people far more powerful than you will ease up once you get a little way beyond the Undead Parish or level up a bit.  A lot of assholes seem to keep extremely low level darkwraiths just to grief newbies.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Humanity

mattrious

« Reply #847 on: December 17, 2012, 06:25:43 PM »

Occasional problems.

Item drops, defence and curse resistance are significantly lower while hollow and certain events only happen while in one state or the other.  The constant invasions by people far more powerful than you will ease up once you get a little way beyond the Undead Parish or level up a bit.  A lot of assholes seem to keep extremely low level darkwraiths just to grief newbies.

Ahh thanks for the heads up. Any suggestions on my summoning failing? I'm playing on a PC.

lordcooper

« Reply #848 on: December 17, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »
Sorry, but I can't really help with the summoning issues.  I have it for PS3 and haven't encountered many issues at all.

Apparently some people have had better luck with the following ports open:

TCP: 80, 443, 5223
UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658

Beyond that, all I can really suggest is going for white signs as they first appear.  If I understand correctly a single sign appears in more than one 'world' so maybe other players are just beating you there?  Also GFWL sucks balls, so you might just be one of the unlucky ones :-\

janeshephard

« Reply #849 on: December 17, 2012, 07:10:18 PM »

Item drops, defence and curse resistance are significantly lower while hollow and certain events only happen while in one state or the other.  The constant invasions by people far more powerful than you will ease up once you get a little way beyond the Undead Parish or level up a bit.  A lot of assholes seem to keep extremely low level darkwraiths just to grief newbies.

To gain the effects of held humanity you need to be in human form? I thought human form as only really to engage in the multiplayer aspect. Otherwise being hollow was the way to go to help people and rack up humanity.

EDIT: I just googled around. Held humanity continues to give you benefits regardless of being hollow or human. I only go human when I need help with a boss (which is almost always).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:13:10 PM by janeshephard »