Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 737428 times)

janeshephard

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #800 on: December 06, 2012, 03:22:44 PM »
Inxile now owns the Torment IP.  This could be a great thing.

Could, yes.

AFAIK, Brian Fargo is the only guy left from the old Interplay crew and other than making the smart decision of working on a sequel to Wasteland, he hasn't done anything of note since Interplay.

Youtube Matt Chat's interview with Brian Fargo and Rebecca Heinemen about Interplay. I liked the part where Rebecca was essentially describing how Brian mandated a dragon get put into a game because... well just because!

BTW, I'd like to see this guy make an RPG:

He made Darklands, an AMAZING RPG that never got enough marketing.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Akaramu

« Reply #801 on: December 07, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
I really like Alan Wake. Except for the flashlight / gun battles. I find them annoying. And the enemies are always the same, except some are tougher / do more damage.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #802 on: December 07, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
From what I've played so far, I really like the bits where story actually happens, and utterly despise all the forest-running light-shining axe-murderer-shooting that connects the story bits.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Akaramu

« Reply #803 on: December 07, 2012, 05:01:31 PM »
From what I've played so far, I really like the bits where story actually happens, and utterly despise all the forest-running light-shining axe-murderer-shooting that connects the story bits.

This. Exactly this. I did enjoy the forest running in chapter 3 where I had no gun, and no axe murderers spawned. As soon as I found a new gun, I was like nooooo now it's starting again  :-\

lordcooper

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Tuannon

« Reply #805 on: December 07, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
That's.. special.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #806 on: December 08, 2012, 06:34:48 AM »
Having a lot of fun with Far Cry 3. I'm setting up the Map Editor right now, I think I'm gonna try my hand at recreating a few spaces from Armageddon to teach myself how it works.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

lordcooper

« Reply #807 on: December 10, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »
Oh bugger, Dark Souls has me again.

spacewars

« Reply #808 on: December 10, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »
Having a lot of fun with Far Cry 3. I'm setting up the Map Editor right now, I think I'm gonna try my hand at recreating a few spaces from Armageddon to teach myself how it works.

Dude IMO they haven't been able to give us a map editor as good as the one from far cry instincts. I'll be getting far cry 3 soon and hope its map editor is good. I'd spend 6 or 7 hours designing and testing multiplay maps on instincts.

Dalmeth

« Reply #809 on: December 11, 2012, 07:09:58 AM »

Oh, look!  Free humanity!
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #810 on: December 11, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »

Dude IMO they haven't been able to give us a map editor as good as the one from far cry instincts. I'll be getting far cry 3 soon and hope its map editor is good. I'd spend 6 or 7 hours designing and testing multiplay maps on instincts.

Yeah I did this too. Good times.

lordcooper

« Reply #811 on: December 11, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »

Oh, look!  Free humanity!

Not a bloody chance.  It's amazing how much of the game is actually skill/knowledge rather than stat/equipment based.  I've managed to ring both bells in just over 90 minutes, it took me about 30 hours to do this the first time I played it.

Dalmeth

« Reply #812 on: December 11, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
Not a bloody chance.  It's amazing how much of the game is actually skill/knowledge rather than stat/equipment based.  I've managed to ring both bells in just over 90 minutes, it took me about 30 hours to do this the first time I played it.

Considering how much upgrading your stats and equipment matters, it's no surprise at all.

Though if you ever do get into the PvP scene here's a tip : the first five moves of any combat consist of convincing your opponent he can't backstab you.

Enjoy!

"Be impressed.  Now!"

janeshephard

« Reply #813 on: December 11, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
I loved both Dark Souls and Demon Souls but they need to hire a writer because the story is ludicrous.

In other news, guild cleared Heart Of Fear last week in WoW, and my prot warrior is the main tank. Onto heroics next!
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #814 on: December 11, 2012, 03:26:48 PM »
I loved Dark Souls' story. It's there, you just have to dig for it. The mystery and vagueness of it all is part of what made it awesome.

Jingo

« Reply #815 on: December 11, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
The narrative style to Souls is really different from other games. Changing it into another adventure story wouldn't just change the story, it would also change the atmosphere and game progression.

If they just turned it into an adventure story, it would be an entirely different type of game.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:01:18 PM by Jingo »
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Dalmeth

« Reply #816 on: December 11, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »
Not only that, but having vibrant, active narrators contradicts the major theme of the game : decline of the spirit.  It's fitting that you learn the history by picking up the surviving relics.

"Be impressed.  Now!"

lordcooper

« Reply #817 on: December 12, 2012, 02:37:15 AM »
Is it just me or were the Darkwraiths essentially the closest thing to good guys in the game?  Gathering Humanity in order to keep the gods from burning it seems like a pretty noble cause.

Dalmeth

« Reply #818 on: December 12, 2012, 06:54:58 AM »
Is it just me or were the Darkwraiths essentially the closest thing to good guys in the game?  Gathering Humanity in order to keep the gods from burning it seems like a pretty noble cause.

Gwyn : burned himself into a broken, insane Cinder in order to keep the world warm.  Inspired a legion of imitators that are the sole reason you are able to move through the game (the bonfires). 

Note how humanity is necessary to kindle the fires into something stronger.  Likely a vital component.

Kaathe :  Sits in a dark, life-eating hole.  Waits for the world to grow weak and insane enough for him to exert control.  Spawned a legion of murderers who drain the means by which the world might be kept strong and sane : humanity.

How's that for comparison?

"Be impressed.  Now!"

Akaramu

« Reply #819 on: December 12, 2012, 07:18:15 AM »
Purchasing a gamepad that didn't work properly somehow killed my will to continue playing Dark Souls. It's been idling on my desktop for months.  :(

I haven't even tested the replacement pad I received at the store.

lordcooper

« Reply #820 on: December 12, 2012, 07:51:50 AM »
Dalmeth, you seem to have reached the exact opposite conclusions to me.  I'll try to outline mine a little more comprehensively in a while.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #821 on: December 12, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
Something to think about:

The bonfires slowly sap the humanity of people who spend too long in their presence. The Darkwraiths are trying to gather enough humanity to usher in a new Age of Man but have been forced into the shadows and cast as villains by Gwyn's followers as they try to perpetuate the Age of Fire and deny man's dominance.

I like to think of Knight Lautrec as a Chosen Undead who was trying to defeat Gwyn himself.

Jingo

« Reply #822 on: December 12, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
Oh SunBro.

Why did you go hollow?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Dalmeth

« Reply #823 on: December 12, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
Oh SunBro.

Why did you go hollow?

Because burnt and broken, he couldn't open the door.

"Be impressed.  Now!"

Malken

« Reply #824 on: December 12, 2012, 05:40:15 PM »
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”