Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 742881 times)

kayza

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #625 on: October 13, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »
Is anyone willing to help a total noob get to grips with DOTA 2?  Never played one of the hyper competitive games, but I fancy giving this one a go.

Step one: Ingore everything Dota and go here.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/

Yeah LoL is pretty awesome.
Too bad I suck.
:-)

janeshephard

« Reply #626 on: October 16, 2012, 01:55:52 AM »
No third person view in Dishonored?
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

lordcooper

« Reply #627 on: October 16, 2012, 10:45:17 AM »
I tried playing DOTA and didn't know what was going on and scary people shouted at me.  I do know how to buy things now though.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

lordcooper

« Reply #628 on: October 16, 2012, 12:05:34 PM »
http://www.indieroyale.com/

It has To The Moon and as such deserves your monies.

janeshephard

« Reply #629 on: October 16, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Akaramu

« Reply #630 on: October 16, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/210895

new DLC for CK2.

omg YAY! Finally more options for leader improvement. I found the plots / intrigue options lacking before.

Jingo

« Reply #631 on: October 17, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »
Oh look another walking dead game.

em prepares for trauma.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #632 on: October 17, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
I felt like checking out Starcraft 2 again today, but when I tried to log into my battle.net account, it kept telling me my password was invalid.

I tried to use password recovery, only to receive an error saying the email/name combination I'm using does not exist.

Queue an hour spent digging around the support section trying to start an account recovery process, only to find out my security questions have been changed and all my CD keys come up as invalid when I try to use them to prove account ownership.

There's literally no way I can find to contact support that doesn't already require account access, which is incredibly fucking stupid.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

lordcooper

« Reply #633 on: October 18, 2012, 12:00:09 AM »
Try calling 1-800-592-5499 between 10 am and 6 pm Pacific Time.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #634 on: October 18, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the number, but last time I had problems like this and tried to call Blizzard, they accused me of being a hacker trying to steal my own account.

Finally somehow managed to start the recovery process, and was told a reset email was sent to my address, but evidently it was sent to some -other- address. GG blizz no re
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:08:53 AM by HavokBlue »
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Akaramu

« Reply #635 on: October 18, 2012, 02:02:03 AM »
Thanks for the number, but last time I had problems like this and tried to call Blizzard, they accused me of being a hacker trying to steal my own account.

Finally somehow managed to start the recovery process, and was told a reset email was sent to my address, but evidently it was sent to some -other- address. GG blizz no re

That sucks. I feel for you. It shouldn't be possible to change the security question at all, and email only under special circumstances.

I predict that at some point in the future, game accounts will have real life verification attached to them... no more internet anonymity.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #636 on: October 18, 2012, 02:12:11 AM »
In the past, I've had to send in drivers license pictures to get accounts recovered so... we're getting there.

janeshephard

« Reply #637 on: October 18, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »

I predict that at some point in the future, game accounts will have real life verification attached to them... no more internet anonymity.

Blizzard will ask for a scan of a piece of government ID if you need to prove ownership of the account.

Akaramu

« Reply #638 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »

Blizzard will ask for a scan of a piece of government ID if you need to prove ownership of the account.

Yes. Also, a blood sample. And some hair.

boog

« Reply #639 on: October 18, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
How is everyone playing Dishonored liking it?

Manboog hates first person and I think it's really ruining the game for him. Thank god it's only a rental.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #640 on: October 18, 2012, 09:38:58 PM »
It's a game worth renting.

Short. I'm debating playing through again. Gameplay was alright. Story was meh/alright.

lordcooper

« Reply #641 on: October 18, 2012, 10:42:04 PM »
I adore the gameplay and setting, more games need to have leaning and that sliding mechanic is pretty darn sweet.  The story is mediocre but acceptable.  Level design is absolutely superb IMO.  If the AI was a little smarter and the game a little more difficult in general then I'd be in heaven.  I think it took about 25 hours for me to play through the game, so I definitely got my moneys worth.  I'd recommend those who find the game too short to have a glance at this, it says what I want to say far more eloquently than I could.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #642 on: October 19, 2012, 05:55:44 AM »
I adore the gameplay and setting, more games need to have leaning and that sliding mechanic is pretty darn sweet.  The story is mediocre but acceptable.  Level design is absolutely superb IMO.  If the AI was a little smarter and the game a little more difficult in general then I'd be in heaven.  I think it took about 25 hours for me to play through the game, so I definitely got my moneys worth.  I'd recommend those who find the game too short to have a glance at this, it says what I want to say far more eloquently than I could.

The RPS article sums it up perfectly. The story wasn't anything amazing, but I'm in love with the world they created and this is one of few games that actually has me excited for DLC. From what I've heard, they plan to expand on the world by releasing additional missions from the perspective of other characters.

Akaramu

« Reply #643 on: October 19, 2012, 07:53:29 PM »
Might get Dishonored once the price drops / there is enough DLC to be worth the money content wise. It's too short of a game to pay full price imho.

Some peope argue that short games are worth they money, making the comparison to the price of a cinema ticket. That's silly. Games are a low cost hobby such as watching TV. Cinemas are a luxury most people don't afford more than a few times a year. If people spent as much time with games as they did with cinema visits, all game developers would go bankrupt.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #644 on: October 20, 2012, 02:51:50 AM »
Might get Dishonored once the price drops / there is enough DLC to be worth the money content wise. It's too short of a game to pay full price imho.

Some peope argue that short games are worth they money, making the comparison to the price of a cinema ticket. That's silly. Games are a low cost hobby such as watching TV. Cinemas are a luxury most people don't afford more than a few times a year. If people spent as much time with games as they did with cinema visits, all game developers would go bankrupt.

The vast majority of people who buy video games buy LESS than five a year, which is coincidentally about the same number of movies your average person goes to see.

There's a reason publishers keep trying to shoehorn in-app purchases and paid DLC into everything they can.

Akaramu

« Reply #645 on: October 20, 2012, 05:00:14 AM »
The vast majority of people who buy video games buy LESS than five a year, which is coincidentally about the same number of movies your average person goes to see.

There's a reason publishers keep trying to shoehorn in-app purchases and paid DLC into everything they can.

But with five movies, they spend maybe (if that) ten hours per year in the cinema. If people gamed ten hours a year... that was my point.

lordcooper

« Reply #646 on: October 20, 2012, 05:12:29 AM »
The vast majority of people who buy video games buy LESS than five a year

Just went through my email.  Including bundles and Kickstarter I've bought 286 (287 if donating to Toady counts) games in the last year.  That's fucking insane and has to stop.

Sephiroto

« Reply #647 on: October 20, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »
I've been having a ton of fun with Chivalry: Medieval Combat
Here's a video from the beta:

The game released this week and has gotten a lot of positive press.  From the looks of it, it was a kickstarter based off of a HL-2 mod and the developers seem set on using the funds from initial sales to improve the game and add content.

It's $25 on Steam and worth every penny.  Consider picking this up if you enjoy Mount & Blade.

janeshephard

« Reply #648 on: October 20, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »

Isn't that the other way around?

A ticket to a film at the theatre: $12-16

A new game from a big publisher: $50-$60.

I spend more money on games than I do films.

I don't have a link but I have seen stats showing higher revenue for the game industry than Hollywood.

janeshephard

« Reply #649 on: October 21, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »
http://forums.elementalgame.com/433555/page/1/#replies

Lordcooper, is it worth buying at this point? There are a lot of posts saying its good but still needs work.