Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 803983 times)

janeshephard

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #575 on: October 05, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
I tried the trial of Darkfall one and ended up being jumped while mining.

I also picked a tank class and the shield mechanics were ridiculously bad (everyone seemed to walk around with 2hs). I'll look out for reviews of the reboot.

Unless it has PvE on the same scale of WoW though I don't think it will interest me.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

janeshephard

« Reply #576 on: October 05, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
Preloading X-Com....

Just thought I'd let the rest of you preorders know.

And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #577 on: October 05, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
For anyone who might care, Darkfall 2 is set to release on November 20th.

If you bought the original Darkfall, you will not be charged for Darkfall 2 and will only have to renew your subscription.

They are putting in some interesting changes to fix some of the fundamental problems with Darkfall 1.

Momentum will now be integrated into melee combat (no more sprint-fest melee battles), wobble on archery/missile weapons while moving (no more sprinting while shooting), and a class system, instead of everyone is the same thing. Also, new user interface and controls. (Anyone who played DF1 knows the user interface and the controls were a major pain.)

The class system is probably the best new feature.

This is one of those games you are going to want to jump into from the start or you will have a hard time catching up to other players ahead of you in the grind. The grind is going to be greatly reduced, but, still.

For anyone not familar with Darkfall, this is a FPS style RPG in an open world setting (Like Skyrim/Oblivion) with open PVP (think Armageddon, no location is safe, but some are safer than others), and full looting upon death (again think Armageddon, they kill you, they then loot your corpse).

It's interesting and a very different MMO from anything else you have probably ever experienced. Hopefully they are going to be fixing some of the key issues with DF1 as far as gameplay was concerned.

Sounds a lot like Mortal Online, which also ended up sucking.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #578 on: October 06, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
I think I have one Steam key each for Victoria II and Sword of the Stars Complete if anyone is interested.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

MeTekillot

« Reply #579 on: October 06, 2012, 09:43:38 PM »
I got a copy of Dragon's Dogma off of Ebay for about 1/2~ price than if I would have bought it at a store

:)
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

lordcooper

« Reply #580 on: October 06, 2012, 11:34:36 PM »
Just finished Thomas Was Alone.  I'm not usually a fan of platformers, but it's an exceptionally well made game.  Tons of atmosphere and a nice dab of pathos to boot.

I think I have one Steam key each for Victoria II and Sword of the Stars Complete if anyone is interested.

Can't speak for Victoria, but SotS is a pretty cool game.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #581 on: October 07, 2012, 12:14:44 AM »
I think Victoria is like Crusader Kings except less intuitive and set during... the Victorian age.

slipshod

« Reply #582 on: October 07, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »
I heard there is also a Game of Thrones mod for Mount & Blade? Has anyone tested it?

It's a mod for M&B - it's not tested

“Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow.”

-Aaron Burr

lordcooper

« Reply #583 on: October 08, 2012, 04:01:57 AM »
Can't decide between XCOM and Dishonored.  Life is so very hard.

spicemustflow

« Reply #584 on: October 08, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »
I heard Dishonored is very short, if that helps.

Akaramu

« Reply #585 on: October 08, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
I don't like short games unless they are also exceptionally cheap. Same as 300-page-books - I like to get more value for my money.

MeTekillot

« Reply #586 on: October 08, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
you and literally everyone else who has ever bought anything.
My thoughts.

lordcooper

« Reply #587 on: October 08, 2012, 04:27:03 PM »
I heard Dishonored is very short, if that helps.

Not really, it's the kind of game I'm likely to wanna play three or four times.  Thanks for trying though!

Marauder Moe

« Reply #588 on: October 08, 2012, 04:36:11 PM »
Brilliant plan!  If I sleep and/or lounge around all day today (I have the day off), I can play XCOM from midnight until when I have to go to work Tuesday!

Akaramu

« Reply #589 on: October 08, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »

Then why do FPS games with under 10 hours reach such high sales numbers regularly?

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #590 on: October 08, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »

Then why do FPS games with under 10 hours reach such high sales numbers regularly?
Online gameplay normally adds a few hundred hours.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

janeshephard

« Reply #591 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
Brilliant plan!  If I sleep and/or lounge around all day today (I have the day off), I can play XCOM from midnight until when I have to go to work Tuesday!

It will still be there when you get back Tuesday, from work :)

It may even have a day one patch by then.

Akaramu

« Reply #592 on: October 09, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »

But... not all of them have working online modes!  ???

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #593 on: October 09, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »

But... not all of them have working online modes!  ???
I can't think of a single FPS that has gotten a good following in the past five years that doesn't have an online mode.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

janeshephard

« Reply #594 on: October 09, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
My favorite FPS which I couldn't put down was Rogue Trooper from years back.

I'm not sure how its multiplayer was but it never interested me in the MP department.

My second favorite FPS is Deadspace although its more of an adventure FPS. The multiplayer was non-existent.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #595 on: October 09, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »
Dead Space is not an FPS.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:34:48 PM by HavokBlue »

MeTekillot

« Reply #596 on: October 09, 2012, 05:05:19 PM »
Dead Space has a space and also a sequel with multiplayer.
My thoughts.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #597 on: October 09, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #598 on: October 09, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
Deadspace is not an FPS.

Wrong.

I'm not sure when the definition of "First-person Shooter" was changed to include third-person survival horror games.

Unless you're talking about the crappy on-rails cashgrab Wii game, which should never be discussed.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #599 on: October 09, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »
Deadspace is not an FPS.

Wrong.

I'm not sure when the definition of "First-person Shooter" was changed to include third-person survival horror games.

Unless you're talking about the crappy on-rails cashgrab Wii game, which should never be discussed.

You know what. I was wrong.... Brain fart. :P