Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 806293 times)

Desertman

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #550 on: September 28, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »
M&B II announced.

Check out the Taleworlds website for info if you are interested.

Love the combat mechanics in this game.
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

janeshephard

« Reply #551 on: September 28, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »
Looking forward to hearing more about M&B 2.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/25/some-things-you-should-know-about-the-xcom-demo/

So the x-com demo isn't representative of the awesomeness the final game is. This may actually make me stop playing WoW for a good while. It's looking AMAZING.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #552 on: September 28, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
Aside from the tutorial mission, I beat the XCOM demo without losing a single hitpoint.  Fortunately, I found out that indeed that mission is an easy early-game challenge on easy mode.

Pre-ordered on Steam already.  However, mad that it comes out the day AFTER a 3-day weekend.   >:(

BTW, anyone else going to jump into normal difficulty with Iron Man mode?  (No re-loading saves, basically perma-death.)

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #553 on: September 28, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
I haven't decided how I'm going to play yet, maybe my first play-through will be on normal with replay on.  Then go into Classic with Iron Man like true X-Com.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

janeshephard

« Reply #554 on: September 28, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »
Can anyone point me to a forum where I can trade my Civ V gift for other games on Steam from other players?

This is the first time I can trade gifts and am not sure how to do it.

EDIT: nvm, I found tf2outpost
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:20:12 PM by janeshephard »
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Jingo

« Reply #555 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
I missed Solaire of Astora and now I don't have the white summon stone and can't visit other players. :(
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #556 on: September 29, 2012, 01:33:05 AM »
I caved and bought Torchlight 2... I have way too many games.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Akaramu

« Reply #557 on: September 29, 2012, 03:08:03 AM »
I've checked out Entropia Universe - the space MMO where ingame currency can be exchanged for real dollars and vice versa. Unfortunately it is suffering from a lack of players, and many veterans leaving due to some rather unpopular changes to make the developers more money (at the expense of player fun). I can't afford to do kill quests because ammo costs too much (maybe one reason why 90% of new players quit), but with mining I only lose very little money over time, and it's strangely addictive. Even more so due to the small chance to hit a node worth 5-12'000 real dollars. XD

janeshephard

« Reply #558 on: September 29, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »
...but with mining I only lose very little money over time, and it's strangely addictive. Even more so due to the small chance to hit a node worth 5-12'000 real dollars. XD

Sounds like a slot machine :)

Akaramu

« Reply #559 on: September 29, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »
...but with mining I only lose very little money over time, and it's strangely addictive. Even more so due to the small chance to hit a node worth 5-12'000 real dollars. XD

Sounds like a slot machine :)

Kind of, but I do enough trading on the side (one of the few certain methods of income) that I end up not spending anything overall. So think of a FREE slot machine.

lordcooper

« Reply #560 on: September 30, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
First Draft of the Revolution is a pretty cool waste of 10-15 minutes and a concept I've never seen before.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #561 on: October 01, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Anyone know if War of the Roses is any good?

I've heard mixed things about it but if it plays like it's supposed to I could see it being a really fun distraction until M&BII comes out.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

MeTekillot

« Reply #562 on: October 02, 2012, 12:39:56 AM »
Now much would you guys say Dragon's Dogma is worth?

I figure I'll get it, Dishonoured, Mass Effect 3, or Assassin's Creed 3 when I get a new game.
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #563 on: October 02, 2012, 02:19:08 AM »
I think $40 is a fair price for Dragon's Dogma. It's a fun game but it's not without flaws and some people don't seem to like it at all.

Mass Effect 3 is pretty disappointing, in my opinion. Dishonored looks fantastic though.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

WWYD

« Reply #564 on: October 02, 2012, 02:30:24 AM »

I've heard mixed things about it but if it plays like it's supposed to I could see it being a really fun distraction until M&BII comes out.

It's definitely not worth $30. You're basically paying for cRPG with more purdies and some Call of Duty inspiration. If that's worth your money, though, go for it.

lordcooper

« Reply #565 on: October 02, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »

It's not bad, but I'm more drawn to Chivalry.  Here's a nice comparison of the two.

ghostymudy

« Reply #566 on: October 02, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »
I've checked out Entropia Universe - the space MMO where ingame currency can be exchanged for real dollars and vice versa. Unfortunately it is suffering from a lack of players, and many veterans leaving due to some rather unpopular changes to make the developers more money (at the expense of player fun). I can't afford to do kill quests because ammo costs too much (maybe one reason why 90% of new players quit), but with mining I only lose very little money over time, and it's strangely addictive. Even more so due to the small chance to hit a node worth 5-12'000 real dollars. XD

I played that for a short while. Sweating. So much sweating. I managed to get hold of a gun and some ammo with my sweat money but that was gone very quickly and I didn't really make a profit from it so I ended up going back to sweating. I don't really think I got past the sweating stage. I can grind when I want to but licking sweat from komibibos on that bloody hill for hours straight for weeks doesn't do it for me. Needs to be more fun in the game.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

janeshephard

« Reply #567 on: October 02, 2012, 08:40:58 AM »

I played that for a short while. Sweating. So much sweating. I managed to get hold of a gun and some ammo with my sweat money but that was gone very quickly and I didn't really make a profit from it so I ended up going back to sweating. I don't really think I got past the sweating stage. I can grind when I want to but licking sweat from komibibos on that bloody hill for hours straight for weeks doesn't do it for me. Needs to be more fun in the game.

http://www.entropiadirectory.com/wiki/Learning_to_sweat_while_dying

What a bizarre mechanic.

Akaramu

« Reply #568 on: October 02, 2012, 08:45:34 AM »

The fun in the game is in playing clever and playing it in a way that you don't lose money, or even gain money instead. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not willing to spend at least 10 dollars to get started - it's very possible to multiply that small amount with trading, without need for sweating. There are numerous guides out there that help you learn how to not lose money - for instance, by chosing a gun that only decays very slowly at your skill level, doesn't use much ammo per shot, and by shooting things that drop items with markup value above the TT value. Most people give in to their cravings and spend a lot on shooting any random thing in sight, doing expensive quests etc. You need to keep in mind that everything coded was designed in a way to make you lose more money than you gain. It takes smarts and some research to avoid falling into the trap. Then it's so much more satisfying if the developers end up paying you instead of you paying them.  ;D

I started with 50 dollars (500 PED) 2 weeks ago and still have about as much as I started with, adding all my possessions together. I only did a little bit of sweating.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #569 on: October 02, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »
I think I would like War of the Roses more if it didn't do things like throw random gigantic server lag spikes that ruin everything and inexplicably crash to desktop without even an error message.

Hot_Dancer

« Reply #570 on: October 04, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »
The gameplay on War of Roses was very rough/choppy for me. I just couldn't get that game to run smoothly through beta.

N
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #571 on: October 05, 2012, 12:05:58 AM »
It's been running smoother ever since they did some update to the servers to resolve the lag issues.

That said, I don't think it was worth the $23 I paid for what was essentially a polished version of M&B multiplayer with fewer maps. They also still haven't fixed the issues I had in M&B where you could hit someone with a greatsword and the only indication you have that you hurt them is a sound effect. There should be visible/physical feedback that you hit them.

MeTekillot

« Reply #572 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:05 AM »
Haven't heard a peep about Watch Dogs since about June. Anybody else?
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

lordcooper

« Reply #573 on: October 05, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »
I'm not too surprised by that.  Game that isn't due to be released for another year or so gets unveiled at E3 then goes quiet.  I'd love some more info on it, but I don't think there's cause for alarm yet.

Desertman

« Reply #574 on: October 05, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
For anyone who might care, Darkfall 2 is set to release on November 20th.

If you bought the original Darkfall, you will not be charged for Darkfall 2 and will only have to renew your subscription.

They are putting in some interesting changes to fix some of the fundamental problems with Darkfall 1.

Momentum will now be integrated into melee combat (no more sprint-fest melee battles), wobble on archery/missile weapons while moving (no more sprinting while shooting), and a class system, instead of everyone is the same thing. Also, new user interface and controls. (Anyone who played DF1 knows the user interface and the controls were a major pain.)

The class system is probably the best new feature.

This is one of those games you are going to want to jump into from the start or you will have a hard time catching up to other players ahead of you in the grind. The grind is going to be greatly reduced, but, still.

For anyone not familar with Darkfall, this is a FPS style RPG in an open world setting (Like Skyrim/Oblivion) with open PVP (think Armageddon, no location is safe, but some are safer than others), and full looting upon death (again think Armageddon, they kill you, they then loot your corpse).

It's interesting and a very different MMO from anything else you have probably ever experienced. Hopefully they are going to be fixing some of the key issues with DF1 as far as gameplay was concerned.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:51:11 AM by Desertman »
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.