Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 737320 times)

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #425 on: August 26, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »
Yup, that is the game!  Thanks.

lordcooper

« Reply #426 on: August 26, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »
That horrible moment when you're on the way to reclaim 80,000 souls and 16 humanity and a black phantom invades.  In Blighttown :(

I'm just gonna curl up in a ball and weep for a bit.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

janeshephard

« Reply #427 on: August 26, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
I stopped playing Dark Souls after blight town... such a badly designed mess :)
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

AmandaGreathouse

• Inspiration on Tap:
« Reply #428 on: August 26, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »
finally got the dawnguard add-on for skyrim.

best elder scrolls add on yet, but that might just be because I'm a huge fan of the subject matter. :D
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #429 on: August 26, 2012, 08:04:52 PM »
Speaking of Skyrim, my female adventurer died to a sync kill that I can only describe as "being held in place with a great axe and pelvic-thrusted to death." Dafuq, Skyrim?
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

lordcooper

« Reply #430 on: August 27, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/08/27/clockwork-empires-the-press-release/
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/clockwork-empires-a-preview-of-gaslamp-games-lovecraft-laden-steampunk-city-builder/

Dwarfy steampunk colonial simulator with mechanics, hints of Lovecraft, optional multiplayer and economic warfare from the developers of Dredmor.  It's like they're taking all my favourite things and mashing them up into a game.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:34:46 PM by lordcooper »

janeshephard

« Reply #431 on: August 28, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
Episode 3 of the walking dead is out this week on PC, PS3, and Xbox.

Supposed to be on PSN today but I don't see it :(
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Jingo

« Reply #432 on: August 28, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »
That horrible moment when you're on the way to reclaim 80,000 souls and 16 humanity and a black phantom invades.  In Blighttown :(

I'm just gonna curl up in a ball and weep for a bit.

Welcome to Dark Souls.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:32:57 PM by Jingo »
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

WWYD

« Reply #433 on: August 28, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »
stuff and shit

Speaking of which - The Walking Dead is on sale on Steam right now. If you like adventure games or interactive fiction, it's a reaaaaaaaally good pick up. Twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the third episode to pop up in my downloads.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #434 on: August 29, 2012, 08:32:19 AM »
I've never really been a fan of the Crysis series at all, haven't even played any of them at all, then I saw this video:

:o
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

spicemustflow

« Reply #435 on: August 29, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »
Replaying the Hitman series, to be ready for Absolution. I forgot how impossibly jumpy the AI in that game is.

janeshephard

« Reply #436 on: August 29, 2012, 05:51:29 PM »
Replaying the Hitman series, to be ready for Absolution. I forgot how impossibly jumpy the AI in that game is.

Less jumpy than Skyrim, and much less jumpy than Oblivion where LOOKING at a locked door earns you verbal abuse haha.

spicemustflow

« Reply #437 on: August 29, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
In hitman you can be disguised from head to toe in enemy's uniform and they'd still open fire at you from 50 meters. And I have to pass through a narrow corridor with three of them.

Rhyden

« Reply #438 on: August 29, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »

Same here dude, but mostly Blood Money.

Less jumpy than Skyrim, and much less jumpy than Oblivion where LOOKING at a locked door earns you verbal abuse haha.

Agreed. It's a pretty smooth game compared to many others. I've always found the Hitman & Splinter Cell series similar in this regard.
Quote from: Malifaxis
One thing I'd like to see in arm is more people focusing on how to make the game intriguing, by filling
it with murder, betrayal, and corruption, instead of arguing about how combat isn't powerful enough.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #439 on: August 30, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
The newest version of SuperTuxKart is super fun.

Dalmeth

« Reply #440 on: August 31, 2012, 02:33:19 AM »
I stopped playing Dark Souls after blight town... such a badly designed mess :)

For what it was supposed to be, a confusing and stressful experience, it was a fantastically designed section.  Why do you think the main enemies have their own unblockable attack in such tight quarters?

But if you think that was bad, Tomb of the Giants would have you hating the game forever. Almost the opposite insofar as instead of a confusing mess, it's a very straight, narrow path.  But it's pitch black and there are terrible, terrible things waiting to kill you in the dark.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

lordcooper

« Reply #441 on: August 31, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »
Tomb of the Giants

I absolutely love doing invasions in that place.  It's got to the point where I can navigate it pretty much solely by muscle memory, whereas everyone else has always got that lantern out in place of a shield.

Akaramu

« Reply #442 on: August 31, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
Can anyone help me with Dark Souls? I find myself unable to play in the very first room (the cell) because of... I don't know what it is. A bug?

Basically, I can't loot the zombie corpse the game tells me to loot. The enter key works fine to navigate the menus, but I can't for the life of me loot that corpse. I stand over it, beside it, just to the left or right of it... no matter where I am, nothing happens when I hit enter and the little window keeps prompting me to loot the corpse.

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!111!!

Any help? Is this a bug?

EDIT: Nevermind, did some more online research and figured out that apparently it's the "Q" key to loot. Couldn't they properly translate the keys for PC users?  :-\
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:06:38 PM by Akaramu »

Akaramu

« Reply #443 on: August 31, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
I still haven't got the slightest clue how to cast spells, though. Is there a manual?

janeshephard

« Reply #444 on: August 31, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »
I still haven't got the slightest clue how to cast spells, though. Is there a manual?

When you are at a camp fire you can select which spells to learn. Then equip your focus (I think that's what it's called), and select the spell by changing the top icon (on PS3 it's up arrow). Then just attack with your focus and the spell is cast.

lordcooper

« Reply #445 on: August 31, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »
Akaramu, you seriously need to get an xbox controller or something to play DS.  It's a straight up console port by a team that has never worked on PC before.  I honestly can't think of any layout that would make it possible to play this comfortably on keyboard + mouse.

Akaramu

« Reply #446 on: August 31, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
Akaramu, you seriously need to get an xbox controller or something to play DS.  It's a straight up console port by a team that has never worked on PC before.  I honestly can't think of any layout that would make it possible to play this comfortably on keyboard + mouse.

I wish someone told me this before buying the game  :'(

Maybe I can somehow get used to it. I played the FF games on PC with a keyboard, as well, and they were about equally painful.

Assuming I did buy a controller, how would I switch between controller and keyboard input?

lordcooper

« Reply #447 on: August 31, 2012, 05:22:50 PM »
I wouldn't recommend it at all, this is a lot more twitchy than any FF game and even if you can somehow manage to beat most of the game this way you'll get utterly destroyed in PvP.  The devs actually posted somewhere that a pad was virtually essential prior to release.

And um, you just plug it into a USB port and play.  You may have to jump through a few extra hoops if it isn't a 360 controller though.

Dalmeth

« Reply #448 on: August 31, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
EDIT: Nevermind, did some more online research and figured out that apparently it's the "Q" key to loot. Couldn't they properly translate the keys for PC users?  :-\

I'll just strongly suggest you look over the key settings in the menu.  It's what I always did when I first got a game as a kid, and to this day, I tend to find little bits that most people miss.

Also, take a look a this if you're having trouble.  This guy has developed a bit of a following by providing informative, fun videos.  You'll learn a bit, especially if you look through his instructional videos.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

janeshephard

« Reply #449 on: August 31, 2012, 08:11:01 PM »
Epicnamebro was around when the Dark Souls was first released. He's a Dark Souls addict.