Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 743093 times)

HavokBlue

• Helper
Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #400 on: August 22, 2012, 03:54:21 AM »
One thing with GW2 is that once you pick a server you are stuck on that server.  I know I will be on Maguuma within a particular guild of Goons >.>

This isn't really true at all. You can transfer between worlds at no cost when the game launches. Eventually, world transfers will cost gems, but you will be able to play your character on other worlds as a "guest" for free if you have friends on that world. You just won't be able to participate in that world's WvWvW team.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

lordcooper

« Reply #401 on: August 22, 2012, 07:06:45 AM »
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #402 on: August 22, 2012, 09:01:23 AM »
One thing with GW2 is that once you pick a server you are stuck on that server.  I know I will be on Maguuma within a particular guild of Goons >.>

This isn't really true at all. You can transfer between worlds at no cost when the game launches. Eventually, world transfers will cost gems, but you will be able to play your character on other worlds as a "guest" for free if you have friends on that world. You just won't be able to participate in that world's WvWvW team.

Yeah, I found that out.  The guest thing isn't in yet though and won't be at launch.  I love the feature though as I will love to be able to play with friends.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #403 on: August 22, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »
Until the guest feature is implemented, server transfers are free for all players.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #404 on: August 24, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
The Dark Souls port is truly awful. One of the worst I've ever run in to.

lordcooper

« Reply #405 on: August 24, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »
The Dark Souls port is truly awful. One of the worst I've ever run in to.

I've heard nothing but good things so far (well, other than the 30 fps lock, but there's a mod for that) and have been considering buying it just to help validate the whole porting it to PC thing.  What's so bad about it?

E: If it's stuttering madly in Blighttown, the console versions did that too :(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:57:48 PM by lordcooper »

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #406 on: August 24, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »
Controls are awful, and everything interface-wise is straight from the console. So when it's telling me to press X to dash, I actually have no way of knowing what "X" is without going into options and looking each one up individually. I can't find the menu button to get into options. I might have to plug in a controller to play.

Basically a bunch of small irritating things. Frame-rate lock hasn't really bugged me. And I'm still playing it, but it was hard going at first.

janeshephard

« Reply #407 on: August 24, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
That reminds me of Metal Gear: Solid. Straight console port to the PC. Unless you had a game controller linked to your PC, you were SOL.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

lordcooper

« Reply #408 on: August 24, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
Do you see that as a particularly bad thing?  I know I'd expect a flight sim to play like shit without a joystick.

Some games just don't translate well to keyboard + mouse, particularly when they weren't designed with that control system in mind.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #409 on: August 24, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
Thoughts on the Dark Souls PC Port from someone with hundreds of hours on the console version.

1. The default keyboard/mouse controls are horrid and unplayable. I don't know if anyone has come up with a rebound scheme that works, but the mouse sensitivity is retarded and the button layout is unintuitive and a pain to use. I highly recommend an Xbox controller for this game.

2. It runs significantly smoother than the console version. While it's locked at 30 FPS, there are no framerate drops in areas like Blighttown that previously caused the came to slow to a crawl.

3. There's a user-created resolution fix that allows you to change the internal resolution the game renders at. I managed to crank it up to about 5300x3000 before the performance loss became unplayable. Google durante dark souls and something should come up. The game looks really nice in 1080p and while the graphics aren't fantastic, they're nice to look at. If visual fidelity is the only thing you care about in a game, Dark Souls is not for you anyway.

4. The netcode is much better. Online play in console Dark Souls relied on some shoddy networking that only worked half the time. I've never had a failed summon or invasion on the PC version.

5. No idea what the new areas are like. I haven't experienced them yet, and probably won't for some time due to IMMINENT GW2.

Overall Thoughts: I love Dark Souls and highly recommend it to anyone looked for an amazing, challenging RPG, but if you don't have a controller or don't want to buy one, do not pick up this game.

edit: I should also add that FROM made some balance changes to certain overpowered items like a ring that previously let you flip around like a fucking ninja in absurdly heavy armor.

janeshephard

« Reply #410 on: August 24, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »
So just how good is GW2? From all the videos I've seen looks very much like WoW.

Does it have better art and environments than say Diablo 3?
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Mook

« Reply #411 on: August 24, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »
GW2 seems to have better graphics than D3, but it doesn't go as polygon-crazy as a single player game would.  Let me know if anyone's playing on the Stormbluff Isle server.

I met a character in Age of Conan named 'Tektolnes,' so I'm hopeful about seeing some of you in GW2.
Murder your darlings.

Malken

« Reply #412 on: August 24, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
GW2 seems to have better graphics than D3, but it doesn't go as polygon-crazy as a single player game would.  Let me know if anyone's playing on the Stormbluff Isle server.

I met a character in Age of Conan named 'Tektolnes,' so I'm hopeful about seeing some of you in GW2.

I know that I was playing Age of Conan with Halaster, can't remember what his character's name was, though :)

Where are the list of servers available at launch?
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Jingo

« Reply #413 on: August 24, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »

I know that I was playing Age of Conan with Halaster, can't remember what his character's name was, though :)

Where are the list of servers available at launch?

Yeah. Halaster was playing Tektolnes. He was a Dark Templar.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Mook

« Reply #414 on: August 24, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
Requested server list:    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/08/guild-wars-2-server-list-and-launch-times-revealed/

Though, you don't need that list ;)  Come to Stormbluff Isle and play with my guild-o-fun.
Murder your darlings.

boog

« Reply #415 on: August 25, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »
Is anyone playing the new WoW xpac when it comes out?
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

janeshephard

« Reply #416 on: August 25, 2012, 10:03:08 AM »
Is anyone playing the new WoW xpac when it comes out?

Considering it only to play the new heroic dungeon, Scarlet Monastery :D

Other than that there's nothing in it I care about.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
I'm looking for a name of a game where players build houses (and other items) but they are built in real time.  It's a java game.  Can someone help me?  Thanks.

lordcooper

« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »
Probably gonna need a little more info than that :)

Aernis

• Legend
« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2012, 11:00:48 AM »
Re:  WoW - I won't be bothering with the expansion.

I had an invite from a friend to go back to WoW for a week of free play and a free level whatever not that long ago.  I logged in twice.

WoW has lost its sparkle for me.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #420 on: August 26, 2012, 11:01:38 AM »
Sorry, that how much I remember of this game.  I quit it pretty much after minute one.  I think it was Worms or something like that.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #421 on: August 26, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »

lordcooper

« Reply #422 on: August 26, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
Sorry, that how much I remember of this game.  I quit it pretty much after minute one.  I think it was Worms or something like that.

It's been a while since I played Worms, but this is not the game you're looking for.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #423 on: August 26, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
Worms as in the turn based shooter one?

lordcooper

« Reply #424 on: August 26, 2012, 11:11:48 AM »