Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 741778 times)

Dalmeth

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #350 on: August 14, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »
I can't wait for Mechwarrior Online..........

Don't listen to jane.  Listen to me.

Mechwarrior : Living Legends

Get with the real program.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #351 on: August 14, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »
I can't play either until I get a new computer.  :-\
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #352 on: August 15, 2012, 12:41:47 AM »
I can't wait for Mechwarrior Online..........

Don't listen to jane.  Listen to me.

Mechwarrior : Living Legends

Get with the real program.

I really didn't enjoy Living Legends.  MWO is so much better.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

lordcooper

« Reply #353 on: August 15, 2012, 07:50:08 AM »
The SimCity beta is open for registration: http://www.simcity.com/en_GB/beta/info
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #354 on: August 15, 2012, 07:57:33 AM »
I'm really stating to grow of the opinion that betas can go fuck themselves. They've become just another tactic to get more interest, or to mass-spread their games in a lesser form in order to work out bugs among the masses.

Has anyone else noticed how popular Betas have become lately?

lordcooper

« Reply #355 on: August 15, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »
work out bugs among the masses.

That's the entire point of beta testing and pretty much always has been ???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:03:48 AM by lordcooper »

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #356 on: August 15, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
work out bugs among the masses.

That's the entire point of beta testing and pretty much always has been ???

Err, well, no shit, is the regular response to such a remark. But the thing is they're using this forum to spread their games popularity, more so than to fix the bugs. They do it more to gauge interest and likeness , than to actually work out problems. That's what I mean to get by.

It's not a bad thing. It's more like a "we're not sure this idea will swing with the masses, so lets run it by them first and tweak as we come along" I'm not entirely sure where my problem comes from. Probably the idea that such a method is seeking to only please the masses, and not the individual game lover. It's a sign of seeking only the highest possible revenue, instead of the enjoyment of the individual customer.

Basically I'm mad that games are trying to please everyone, instead of trying to fit into their own niche.

janeshephard

« Reply #357 on: August 15, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
Wow, I just noticed this. I guess I really wasn't paying attention to E3 this year.

Elder Scrolls MMO gameplay:

And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #358 on: August 15, 2012, 03:31:20 PM »
A bummer that it'll be computer only :(
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

janeshephard

« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »
A bummer that it'll be computer only :(

I suspect we may see MMOs on the Ouya. Unlike other console makers, Ouya is embracing being open, and thus supporting keyboard and mouse drivers will be a non-issue.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Kieandatu

« Reply #360 on: August 15, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
I'm really stating to grow of the opinion that betas can go fuck themselves. They've become just another tactic to get more interest, or to mass-spread their games in a lesser form in order to work out bugs among the masses.

Has anyone else noticed how popular Betas have become lately?

Worse yet is "Paid Betas". I actually play Betas to check on bugs. Do quests, was it easy? Is there feedback? Can I kite this mob and is it supposed to be kiteable? If I stand on this rock that I had to jump for 20minutes to get to, can I be safe from damage while holding aggro?

The paid beta idea, lately, does make me angry. Closed Beta, these days, just says "We have it, and only a few people can play it but NOT TELL YOU ABOUT IT so sign up now! We have affiliates that want to sell you things."

Marauder Moe

« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »
On the flip side, I suspect Minecraft would have shut down development a very long time ago if Notch didn't charge for the game.

Jingo

« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »
Coming back to skyrim with all the bugs fixed and an HD texture set. Now I can actually play this game!
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Archbaron

« Reply #363 on: August 15, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
Coming back to skyrim with all the bugs fixed and an HD texture set. Now I can actually play this game!
Same! Finally have a computer that can handle the bug-free'er version, and I started on it for real a few days ago. I always start this game and get Whiterun fever, where I never get out of that stupid city and do anything else.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

janeshephard

« Reply #364 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »
Same, only playing it on PS3 with shitty textures.

Does anyone else find the horse combat completely useless? :)

Rhyden

« Reply #365 on: August 15, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »
Does anyone else find the horse combat completely useless? :)

Yeah...
Quote from: Malifaxis
One thing I'd like to see in arm is more people focusing on how to make the game intriguing, by filling
it with murder, betrayal, and corruption, instead of arguing about how combat isn't powerful enough.

Archbaron

« Reply #366 on: August 16, 2012, 03:38:24 AM »
Horse combat was equally dumb in Oblivion. It's impossible to be effective on a mount and still use a weapon unless I have two mice and three hands.

Also, I've been working on L.A. Noire. I have sunk so many hours into that game and when I thought I beat it tonight, turns out there is still more. I'm not complaining thought; I love this game.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #367 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:01 AM »
Has anyone tried Sleeping Dogs or Wargame: European Escalation? I'm interested in both and debating what to buy when I get paid.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #368 on: August 16, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
Has anyone tried Sleeping Dogs or Wargame: European Escalation? I'm interested in both and debating what to buy when I get paid.

Neither really look any good and Wargame got poor reviews.  I haven't seen any reviews on Sleeping Dogs.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

janeshephard

« Reply #369 on: August 16, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »

Neither really look any good and Wargame got poor reviews.  I haven't seen any reviews on Sleeping Dogs.

Do you have internets?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/sleeping-dogs

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: August 16, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
Wow, I just noticed this. I guess I really wasn't paying attention to E3 this year.

Wow the new WoW expansion is looking good!

Edit: Less trolly reply:
They've obviously got the visuals down - it really looks like a MMO-ified elder scrolls game. Unfortunately that interview reveals nothing except vague buzzwords and design directions. There's no real content there! So frustrating.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:09:08 PM by Rathustra »

TheHunted

« Reply #371 on: August 16, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »

Wow the new WoW expansion is looking good!

Edit: Less trolly reply:
They've obviously got the visuals down - it really looks like a MMO-ified elder scrolls game. Unfortunately that interview reveals nothing except vague buzzwords and design directions. There's no real content there! So frustrating.

Also.. Don't really understand what he meant by the, 200 players fighting comment.. Like they have a 200 player cap.. Or that's just how big some of the battle grounds get. :/

lordcooper

« Reply #372 on: August 16, 2012, 04:46:34 PM »

Wargame: European Escalation seems pretty damn good from the little I've played.  You can stream a demo here if you have a semi-decent internet connection.

Not played Sleeping Dogs yet, but RPS posted a pretty thorough WIT today and I tend to agree with pretty much everything they write.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #373 on: August 17, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »

I've only heard good things about both of them, which is why I'm up in the air. They both have solid Metacritic scores too.

All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

lordcooper

« Reply #374 on: August 18, 2012, 06:28:31 AM »
I have a silly amount of Steam keys for Endless Space, does anyone want one?