Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 784094 times)

Case

• Helper
Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2012, 09:44:57 PM »
The kid of the ruler I made in CK2 is the best I have ever seen. Average skill of 22, with 33 stewardship. No bad traits.

Wtf, Bene Gesserit breeding? Are those personal stats or state ones?
Personal stats.

I made a min/max ruler first, with tons of dodgy traits and extremely unlikeable because of it, but he only held one province so it's ok. (For anybody looking to cheap out a bit - making rulers with excommunicated and wounded (maimed if you're game) can give you significant points to spend on other things but are relatively easy to remove, excommunicated especially.)

Then he had a son (which was interesting, him being a gay dwarf lame leper, among other things), and this son inherited Genius. During the kid's childhood, he got the usual events that give personality traits. He picked up a 5% chance diligence as well as tons of virtues. Never got a single bad trait. When he needed an education, his father gave it.

Eventually he ended up being a godly financial wizard, having luck every year of education. At 10 years old, he was twice as good as most States.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:46:30 PM by Case »

BadSkeelz

« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2012, 10:38:35 PM »
Not surprising, since it sounds like his dad was a gay Tyrion Lannister.

I really want to get into CK1, but, you know, Arm.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

janeshephard

« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2012, 09:31:41 AM »
Borderlands 2 is a month away. Anyone else pre-order? It's looking a lot better than the first one.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:22 AM »
Borderlands 2 is a month away. Anyone else pre-order? It's looking a lot better than the first one.

Yeah, I pre-ordered it on Steam.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »
I've been playing Blacklight: Retribution lately, and that game is fucking amazing. It's like Counterstrike, except with permanent weapon builds and the like.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #330 on: August 11, 2012, 04:52:33 AM »
Blacklight is pretty fun, but it's basically Battleduty: Rent-a-gun 3.

It's free though, and it's definitely not P2W although you can unlock things faster with RL cash. You make enough currency with one win to unlock any of the premium weapons for 24 hours, so it's pretty easy to use whatever you want without paying.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

janeshephard

« Reply #331 on: August 11, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »

Yeah, I pre-ordered it on Steam.

Tried playing the first one again but it felt stale. The world is too cardboardy and the enemies take a while before they start to change into more interesting ones. I'll wait for the second one to be $5 on steam with all the DLC.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #332 on: August 12, 2012, 01:32:31 AM »
I bought Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning yesterday. I like it so far. Nothing amazing but a good RPG.

My friend brought over his PS3 and we played Dungeon Hunters for like 12 hours today. Badass hackandslash fun.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #333 on: August 12, 2012, 11:35:41 AM »
I started playing the new Deus Ex. I like it a lot so far.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

janeshephard

« Reply #334 on: August 12, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »
I found Kingdoms of Amalur so awful I couldn't get past the first few quests. It's SO derivative. Just ridiculous.

Malken

« Reply #335 on: August 12, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Pretty interesting article on Paradox (Crusader Kings 2)

Paradox: Past, present and future.

http://www.destructoid.com/paradox-past-present-and-future-232917.phtml
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

janeshephard

« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »
Wow elective succession is awesomesauce. Very OP if you're a grey eminence with a good spymaster.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #337 on: August 12, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »
I can't wait for Mechwarrior Online..........
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

janeshephard

« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2012, 11:58:44 PM »

This thread belongs to CK2. Get with the program.

lordcooper

« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2012, 11:59:47 PM »
Wow elective succession is awesomesauce. Very OP if you're a grey eminence with a good spymaster.

I'm gonna have to confess my ignorance here.  What benefits does it give you?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

janeshephard

« Reply #340 on: August 13, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »

I'm gonna have to confess my ignorance here.  What benefits does it give you?

You nominate your heir and the vassals under you (so dukes not counts if you are king) vote your way if they like you more than anyone who nominated themselves. Also +20 opinion to all your vassals because you are "fair." I have high crown authority and still only deal with one or two troublemakers when my heir succeeds. Much better than a civil war per succession.

Anyone with too many votes gets axed through plots.

I love it.

lordcooper

« Reply #341 on: August 13, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »
+20 opinion would cover a few tax hikes :D

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #342 on: August 13, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »

All I can say is... It's good. :)
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:

Cutthroat

• Helper
« Reply #343 on: August 13, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
My next CK2 game, played from 1066 to the end, was great. I spent about 80 years starting from Dublin to become the King of Ireland. I spent some more time replacing rebellious vassals with family members and people with a high opinion of me. Eventually, noticing Scotland eating up England and constant rebellions, I decided to swoop in and take enough of Wales to become its king. Eventually I would get all of it.

While doing this, I had the Court Chaplain kissing the Pope's ring long enough, and made a very generous donation to the Holy See, so that I could request an invasion of Scotland. With a bit of fighting I became the King of Ireland, Wales, and Scotland, although I had a lot of pissed off Scottish vassals, as well as Welsh and Irish vassals whose troops I borrowed. I also gained a claim on being the King of Portugal by fighting with the Scottish king for his territory.

I had an eye on England, though interestingly the Pope would not let me invade it because it was smaller than me at this point. I spent most of the rest of the game waiting to usurp the title of the King of Portugal from the King of England. When I finally did, this seemed to piss him off enough to look for a way to start wars with me. Slowly, my almost-empire crumbled as wars broke out one after the other. I had to implement Autonomous Vassals in Wales and Scotland as part of the terms of surrender. After that, when more wars broke out, it was impossible to revoke the titles of the traitor, even if I won. Ultimately the northern part of Scotland up to Ross became independent. At the end of the game, Norway was beginning to take over the northern part of Scotland.

Ended with 37k points, and, I think, a good first "real" try that sucked me into this game.

Jingo

« Reply #344 on: August 13, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »
GW2 is coming
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

janeshephard

« Reply #345 on: August 13, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
+20 opinion would cover a few tax hikes :D

Yeah and you can pick your heir so you can have twenty kids, and only select the "finest" of the bunch. I usually go for one who is the youngest and brightest.

Became Emperor of Britannia and now I regret creating that title. With Elective Monarchy it looks like all my king titles count as electoral votes for the emperor which pisses off my vassals because I have too many electoral votes. I'm not entirely sure I trust anyone with a king title.

janeshephard

« Reply #346 on: August 13, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
Not sure what to do now.... Kingdom of France is in a very very long war to lower crown authority so invading now is too messy. Thinking of moving onto Sweden, Norway, Denmark. The mongols appeared so I'm not going anywhere near Jerusalem.

lordcooper

« Reply #347 on: August 13, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »
Holy War?  It looks like there are a few pretty small Muslim realms in Spain.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
GW2 is coming

I pre-ordered and played in the Stress Tests... LOVED IT.  I am excited I finally have an MMO that I can play.  Wait... There is also PlanetSide 2 and MechWarrior Online... thank goodness there are no subscriptions.  I can play all three!!!
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:

lordcooper

« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »
Chrono Trigger / Cross.  Am I missing much by not having played these games?