Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 737420 times)

Jingo

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2012, 02:11:28 AM »
I'm really impressed by Spec Ops: The Line

You don't see shooters with this kind of guts.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #226 on: July 07, 2012, 02:33:18 AM »

Guts? That's incredibly vague. What does it do gutsy?

lordcooper

« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
Rezzed was great fun, but I'm now stuck impatiently waiting for Prison Architect to come out.  I could have happily played that thing all weekend.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Karieith

« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
Internet flash games are getting good all of a sudden...

Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure is the new gold standard of videogames.

Also, Treadmillasaurus Rex is more fun than it should be.

Tuannon

« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2012, 11:49:46 PM »

It makes you do morally ambiguous things.

Jingo

« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2012, 03:32:32 AM »

Guts? That's incredibly vague. What does it do gutsy?

I just really like how they don't skirt issues like collateral damage, post traumatic stress disorder, civilians on th battlefield, etc. But what I -really- liked was that the game questions the protagonist's (by extension the player's) morality throughout the game.

Remember that level in MW:2 where you were pretending to be a terrorist gunning down civilians in an airport? That was fucking stupid and I pretty much forgot about it right after.

On the other hand, this game is probably gonna stick with me.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Malken

« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
Wow, that OUYA console is setting new records on kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

lordcooper

« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »
OUYA intrigues me, but I'm not fully convinced it's worth buying.  The open nature is really appealing and definitely a step in the right direction for consoles; but with the next generation of established consoles just around the corner, it seems as though the hardware runs the risk of becoming obsolete sooner rather than later.  It should be brilliant for developers (especially those who generally focus on the PC), but I'm unsure if it's worth buying one as a gamer.  The pessimist in me predicts insane amounts of pay-to-win trash flooding their store.

E: Besides, I can always just plug my PC into the TV and use a PS3 controller.

Chettaman

• Helper
    • Facebook!
« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »
Armored Core. We've been through so much. From blocky, slow moving machine-things (AC1, 2 etc) to slightly more movable robots of destruction (...etc AC3) to fully mobilized Armored Core units. (AC4 and For answer) But this new one... where we're all mercenaries. Has disappointed me. Not as much as xenosaga1 - xenosaga2. But you have failed my expectations.

Armored Core 5 - 4 stars
 You went back to the graphics and movability of Armored Core three for some reason, although the multi-play-ability /is/ cool. I'd rather be able to actually just play the way you trained me from 4 and For Answer. High-speed.

Armored core: for answer - 10 stars
Live like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

janeshephard

« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
Star Command PC/MAC Kickstarter. I guess they want money for another year of not delivering haha.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-kickstart-part-2-the-pc-mac-space-adv
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

janeshephard

« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »
Gnome Fortress :) Still alpha but at least its very playable and not in alpha hell..

http://www.desura.com/games/gnomoria/videos/alpha-gameplay-trailer
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

jstorrie

« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »
Tomorrow I'm getting Skyrim (and the DLC, I guess.)

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2012, 08:30:52 AM »
Gnome Fortress :) Still alpha but at least its very playable and not in alpha hell..

http://www.desura.com/games/gnomoria/videos/alpha-gameplay-trailer

Wow, that looks very interesting.  Have you been playing it at all?  From the looks of it, it's not very different from DF.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

lordcooper

« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »

$3,946,586 on the second day.  It would seem that a lot of people want this thing.

Maso

« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »

$3,946,586 on the second day.  It would seem that a lot of people want this thing.

That's awesome. Getting in on that.
emote pees into your eyes deeply

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Akaramu

« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
Does anyone know where to download RPG maker games? Some of them sound pretty neat...

lordcooper

« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »
Does anyone know where to download RPG maker games? Some of them sound pretty neat...

There are a load on their official forums.  Other than that, just google the specific names :)

lordcooper

« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »

janeshephard

« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »
Crusader Kings II... for only 9.99$.... so thinking of getting it.

lordcooper

« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »

It's absolutely worth that price, and a lot more besides.

jstorrie

« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »
If my graphics card could handle CKII I would buy it ten times. CKI was aaaaawesome. Paradox makes the best grand strategy games, period.

Malken

« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »
It's kinda sad that I pretty much already have all of the games that are currently on sale  :-\
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

janeshephard

« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »

Finding it very confusing but I'm going to stick through it. Any good places to start? England?

lordcooper

« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »
For those picking up CK2, I'd highly recommend you check out the Sword of Islam DLC.  The rest is pretty much cosmetic, but SoI adds a fair bit to the game.

If my graphics card could handle CKII I would buy it ten times. CKI was aaaaawesome. Paradox makes the best grand strategy games, period.

I've been playing it with what is among the worst of intel integrated chipsets.  A little clunky, but perfectly playable.  For some reason the demo performed far worse than the actual game.

Finding it very confusing but I'm going to stick through it. Any good places to start? England?

Yeah, it took about four or five hours for me to really get it, but things fell into place very rapidly after that.  The easiest way to learn the game (IMO) is by starting off as an Irish count.  You'd be on a pretty much even footing with most of your neighbours, won't have to worry about pleasing a liege, and generally have time to play around a bit before worrying about any of the superpowers.  Just try to gain control of Ulster ASAP to prevent the English/Scots/Normans gaining a foothold in Ireland and you should be safe enough at the start.  England starts off at war so is probably best left until after you've got a grip on the basics.  Scotland is a fairly decent alternative if you'd like to jump straight in as a king.

janeshephard

« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2012, 07:09:29 PM »

Yeah, it took about four or five hours for me to really get it, but things fell into place very rapidly after that.  The easiest way to learn the game (IMO) is by starting off as an Irish count.  You'd be on a pretty much even footing with most of your neighbours, won't have to worry about pleasing a liege, and generally have time to play around a bit before worrying about any of the superpowers.  Just try to gain control of Ulster ASAP to prevent the English/Scots/Normans gaining a foothold in Ireland and you should be safe enough at the start.  England starts off at war so is probably best left until after you've got a grip on the basics.  Scotland is a fairly decent alternative if you'd like to jump straight in as a king.

I LOL'd at the Irish count thing. Will give it a go before getting back to actual work.