Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 770903 times)

Yam

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
How can you tell if someone is a bandit? Do bandits and non-bandits wear different skins?

Yeah. Currently survivors (non-bandits) wear pants, a shirt, and a kevlar vest in various subdued colors. Bandits wear digitized desert camouflage and a bandana around their face.

There's been a lot of talk about special skins for various things. Doing lots of healing gives you a medic skin. Killing bandits gives you a different kind of military/police skin. Et cetera.

You have humanity points. You lose them if you kill another survivor that hasn't shot you. You don't lose them if you kill a bandit. But as it stands, you can't really trust either a bandit or a survivor. You regain humanity points slowly, but you can also lose them if you kill another survivor that was shooting at you but never connected. Since many weapons can kill you in one or two shots, this is a necessity.

So most successful people roll around in groups of 5 or so on teamspeak and blast anyone they see.

The game is basically a giant prisoner's dilemma with zombies.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:51:41 PM by Yam »

ghostymudy

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »
I'd love to join in with your group on Dayz, I might even be able to bring the friend I usually play it with. Do you guys use VOIP?
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

BlackMagic0

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
I'm going to download it sometime this weekend hopefully and I'd love to gather up for a group to survive.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Yam

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »
I've been using the Day/v/ TS, ts.gonnahate.org. You can hope in one of the expedition channels and see where they are and go meet up with them. That's probably normally where Havok and I will be.

The game also has built in distance-based voice. To use it, bind a key to Direct Voice or something like that. This is handy for making fun of people you're about to shoot in the back of the head or seeing if someone is friendly (don't trust anyone!). Don't use voice chat in the global/side channels.

Akaramu

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »
You people should play Armageddon.  >:(

Yam

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
Sometimes you gotta chop mothafuckaz with bone swords. Sometimes you need to shoot them while hiding in a copse of trees one kilometer away. Sometimes you need to use a smoke grenade to summon a horde of zombies on their carefully entrenched position. And sometimes you just gotta run through the woods for literally hours on end.

ghostymudy

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
I thought the direct channel VOIP was broken? it was last time I checked anyway.

We can use my own teamspeak if you don't fancy using /v/'s or if all the channels are full.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

Yam

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2012, 05:14:23 PM »
It does work, you just need to set up a separate key for it. I'm heading out but I'll make a DayZ thread later. Or one of you can if you want to.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:54 AM »
My Xbox is on it's last legs, I think.

Fan sounds way too loud when running and, on certain games, it has a high tendency of crashing. Can't get through the first 5 minutes of Prototype without it crashing. Tried returning it & getting another game disc but the same problem.

Going to get one of those laser len's cleaning discs or whatever from the store tomorrow.

Anyone have any recommendations? Should I consider trading in my 360 or getting a refurbished one? It's an old 360. Big, bulky white one.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2012, 12:52:43 AM »
You could try opening it up and spraying it out with a compressed air can. If you're familiar with assembling a computer, it's even easy to take the individual parts out (though that isn't really necessary).
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2012, 01:20:40 AM »
Other than taking the faceplate off, I've never opened up my Xbox. Considering that the warranty is already void, anyways, should I try opening it up and cleaning it out? But I've never cleaned it out before and wouldn't really know how to go about it. I'm sure there are plenty of guides online but any personal tips? Things to watch out for?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2012, 02:08:26 AM »
If you check out youtube, there are dozens of videos on how to open it up. It's really easy and just consists of removing your HDD and popping the white casing off. I would do it in a clean environment and avoid touching the motherboard (beneath the heatsink, which will look like a bigass building). I'd suggest using compressed air instead of qtips or a towel or anything, and don't spray it so close that shit frosts over. You can get a can of Ultra Duster or whatever at walmart for like five bucks.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
Open it up, spray it off. Seems easy enough. I'll youtube a video to help guide me through the opening/closing.

Another problem I have; is I believe the fan itself is pretty clogged up - Hence why it spins like crazy.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

spacewars

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
could someone give me instructions on how to install and play day z

lordcooper

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Yam

« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2012, 12:16:16 AM »
could someone give me instructions on how to install and play day z

PM or IM me if you still can't get it to work.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2012, 12:57:05 AM »
Post updates on your stories, guys. They are fun to read.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Yam

« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2012, 01:03:24 AM »
Last night I linked up with WWYD on the Bean Coast after some fussing. We headed up north to Stary Sobor to get some gear, passing a few towns on the way. We saw a few survivors but they were mostly friendly. We shot a cow, butchered it, and ate it.

A three other people I play with logged into our teamspeak server and decided to head to Stary Sobor's military base to help us get equipped.

For reference, the military base is a collection of fenced in tents just north of the city.

They saw a group of five other people posted in the large warehouse, the right most, largest rectangular building. They approached them from the northern hill and opened fire, killing four of them. WWYD and I could hear the shots as we approached from the south, near the "sign post" marker and I got a shot off at the last of the enemy group trying to run for it.

Then we took over the military base, posted a guard, and looted the fuck out of it.

WWYD should tell the airport story.

Yam

« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2012, 01:07:29 AM »
One of the groups has a helicopter up and running. They found another helicopter and are currently picking up parts to fix it.

It crashed and they all died.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:31:38 AM by Yam »

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2012, 02:13:11 AM »
In case you all didn't know, I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic, zombie-themed survival stories so I'm having probably just as much fun reading this as you all are playing.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

BleakOne

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2012, 02:18:18 AM »
In case you all didn't know, I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic, zombie-themed survival stories so I'm having probably just as much fun reading this as you all are playing.
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2012, 02:32:58 AM »
Should probably consider making a separate thread titled 'Day Z Story Thread' or something.

In fact, I think I'll do that.

Here's the link:
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,43345.0.html

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

janeshephard

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
!

X-Com clone that is being developed to actually feel like X-Com.

Pre-order gives access to Alpha. I'm considering it now :)

EDIT: Pre-ordered and downloading now... I'm so not buying anything for the rest of the year :)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:11:32 PM by janeshephard »
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

lordcooper

« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »
Xenonauts does look sexy, but this is one of the few games I'd prefer to pick up when it's finished.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

janeshephard

« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2012, 02:25:09 PM »
Another $9.99 spent. Just bought this.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209830/
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.