Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 815669 times)

Akaramu

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #12025 on: October 17, 2019, 08:26:43 AM »
Disco Elysium is a fucking fantastic RPG.

You play as a detective trying to solve a crime and fill in his murky history. You level up certain traits that determine how you explore and deal with other characters. These traits don't just change how you can affect the world, but also how you perceive it. They also serve as an inner-monologue and parts of your characters psyche. Often times you will have multiple traits all weighing in on certain situations, sometimes arguing with each-other, or adding to each other to help you gain a better perspective on things.

It's an incredible system unlike anything I've seen before.

Funny, I was randomly checking this out on Steam just earlier today! Gonna wishlist it now.

Have you played Torment: Tides of Numenera though? Because apart from the setting it seems somewhat similar to that, and the writing can't possibly better than Torment's.  :D

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #12026 on: October 17, 2019, 12:13:57 PM »
I have not played Torment. But I have heard Disco Elysium is similar to it.

I've played some more. If anything I'm even more impressed with the game. It's both funny and sad and full of history.

lordcooper

« Reply #12027 on: October 17, 2019, 03:19:02 PM »
Tides of Numenara was a decent CRPG that was nevertheless a tremendous disappointment when I expected it to be The One True Successor To PS:T.

After eight hours of play I'm confident in saying that unless something goes utterly tits up later on then PS:T will no longer be my favourite RPG.  My expectations were high enough that I was actively asking people for examples of what the game does badly.  They couldn't answer.  Neither can I.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Thomoto

« Reply #12028 on: October 18, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »
The newest God of War game, I can recommend it to just about anyone who likes incredible storytelling, it was fun to see how the story unfolded from the last games and to see a character have meaningful development in the game, finally beating it a few months ago. I enjoyed every second I played it. The story, the way the gameplay works, loved it to death.

Not really a new game as it came out over a year ago, but I'd still say its worth a gdb post.
Hi pah human tribals, are you bad?

*arrows*

lordcooper

« Reply #12029 on: October 18, 2019, 07:10:17 PM »
Disco Elysium is the best game I've played this year, possibly ever.

The sequel to King of Dragon Pass (one my most beloved games) came out.  It's great.  I'm not playing it.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #12030 on: October 19, 2019, 06:59:23 PM »
Failing to resist urge to talk about Disco Elysium again. Worried about over hyping things.

If you are into stories. Enjoy good writing. Play it.

Pale Horse

« Reply #12031 on: October 23, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »
[/lurk]

So.

Crusader Kings 3 is a thing, next year.

And two more packs for Stellaris, this year.

Decisions, decisions.

[lurk]
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Riev

« Reply #12032 on: October 23, 2019, 01:49:15 PM »
The Outer Worlds, supposedly, began preloading and some early-access streamers are already showcasing it.

I feel as though I should be sick, out of work, on Friday. I won't be, but I FEEL AS THOUGH I SHOULD.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #12033 on: October 23, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »
Kind of want to give CDDA another go, since it is the season of horror.

Akaramu

« Reply #12034 on: October 23, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »

Crusader Kings 3 is a thing, next year.

Oh god

I have 382 hours invested in CKII

oh god

Do eeet! And share your findings  :D

I'll be busy with NWN for a good long while. There's some really really good roleplayers there, lots of intricate player (and DM) driven plots, politics and intrigue, and running through the Underdark as part of an ebil kobold gang is so much fun. Just got my direwolf animal companion, wheee! Feels like Armageddon MUD in a D&D setting, except with graphics, casual / offpeak friendly and without thinks or feels. I do miss thinks and feels. Permadeath too, but you can't have everything.

Oh and guess what, it has full guild elementalists  :P my next PC will totes be a male Drow wizard. A crossdresser who wishes he was a woman, hah.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:17:55 PM by Akaramu »

racurtne

« Reply #12035 on: October 23, 2019, 07:40:34 PM »
I have 583 in Crusader Kings 2. More than any other game in my Steam library.

Crusader Kings 3 will be bad for me. I am very excited, as I see they are planning to crank the RPG elements even higher.

Also want to play Disco Elysium and the King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor. I just don't have time. I doubt I'll have much time for Ck3, but you can bet I'm going to try to fit these all in somehow.
Alea iacta est

Marauder Moe

« Reply #12036 on: October 25, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »

Do eeet! And share your findings  :D

I'm finding that I have completely forgotten how to CDDA.   :-[

Akaramu

« Reply #12037 on: October 26, 2019, 05:43:25 AM »
I'm finding that I have completely forgotten how to CDDA.   :-[

;D There should be a bunch of online guides around... plus, a lot has changed since the last version we played. I'm sure I'll need a guide too when I find the time to get back into it.

SmashedTregil

« Reply #12038 on: October 26, 2019, 02:17:57 PM »
I am in awe of Elysium disco. Holy fuck. Creation of that game was a work of love and pain. The writing is exquisite. The dice lady said it best. There is something brutal about the dice rolls in that game. The realization that even if you succeeded, an entire storyline passed you by.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Riev

« Reply #12039 on: October 28, 2019, 01:53:46 PM »
I beat The Outer Worlds twice this weekend. I loved the voice acting, but I got impatient to absorb all the interesting shit. It was a worthwhile playthrough, choosing a different faction to support resulted in visiting similar locales but in different orders. It is sufficiently difficult on the hardest difficulty.

It is short, however. About 10 hours if you're skipping dialog and whatnot. A solid non-AAA game from a wonderful developer that only cost me $1 to enjoy.

lordcooper

« Reply #12040 on: October 28, 2019, 05:40:32 PM »
Death Stranding is confirmed for PC.  There is a god.

flurry

« Reply #12041 on: October 28, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
I beat The Outer Worlds twice this weekend. I loved the voice acting, but I got impatient to absorb all the interesting shit. It was a worthwhile playthrough, choosing a different faction to support resulted in visiting similar locales but in different orders. It is sufficiently difficult on the hardest difficulty.

It is short, however. About 10 hours if you're skipping dialog and whatnot. A solid non-AAA game from a wonderful developer that only cost me $1 to enjoy.

I'm really enjoying The Outer Worlds so far, but I'm inching along, still doing Edgewater side quests.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Akaramu

« Reply #12042 on: October 29, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
I'm really enjoying The Outer Worlds so far, but I'm inching along, still doing Edgewater side quests.

10 hours?  :o Reviews said it was a super long game? I vaguely remember a 'will keep you busy for weeks, maybe months' quote...

Though maybe I was a dork and looked up the wrong game by accident.

On that note, Encased looks really interesting. Deep, complex Fallout-esque RPG (with lots of options on how to approach things) within a domed world.

Riev

« Reply #12043 on: October 29, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
10 hours?  :o Reviews said it was a super long game? I vaguely remember a 'will keep you busy for weeks, maybe months' quote...

That was me. Admittedly, there was a lot of dialog I skipped through because I was so excited about the main story as it started coming up.

There are also choices you can make and do 2 storylines at once, of a sort, before finally picking one way or the other. I did not know that.

For the most part, I explored all the worlds, did both storylines, and together it took me about 18-20 hours. If you actually listen to the voice actors, and read all the lore and whatnot... absolutely closer to 30 hours.

X-D

« Reply #12044 on: October 31, 2019, 02:31:20 AM »
I beat it in like 14 hours, and yes, skipped a lot.

Second playthrough and harder setting, going alone.

Much more fun and I can say, Do the bounties. Get some special things, nothing major but it is worth it for the stories and such when you turn them in.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #12045 on: November 01, 2019, 11:53:09 AM »
Red Dead 2 comes to PC in 4 days. Way sooner than I thought. Finally I can try this game out.

Apparently the PC Port is lookign good: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/red-dead-redemption-2-looks-gorgeous-on-pc-but-its-mouse-controls-that-make-it-special/

Article mentions fov slider, and a better first-person experience.

Pale Horse

« Reply #12046 on: November 04, 2019, 08:17:09 AM »
NSFW

Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

perfecto

« Reply #12047 on: November 04, 2019, 09:55:22 AM »
Wowwww Blizzard has been busy!   Watched some of the gameplay vids and the overhead looks classic as ever but the spells and effects are so well done.  Only 3 of the 5 classes have been revealed so far and heh I hear it wont actually launch til 2020 / 02
Which might give us a bastion of bloody fun during the last of the crap ass winter months.  This one is going on my February wish list for sure!   I might just make a nobody and tavern sit for a solid month, refuse to admit the hellish reality outside; gamble with other players  lives over what they can accomplish lmfao
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Akaramu

« Reply #12048 on: November 04, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
Wowwww Blizzard has been busy!   Watched some of the gameplay vids and the overhead looks classic as ever but the spells and effects are so well done.  Only 3 of the 5 classes have been revealed so far and heh I hear it wont actually launch til 2020 / 02
Which might give us a bastion of bloody fun during the last of the crap ass winter months.  This one is going on my February wish list for sure!   I might just make a nobody and tavern sit for a solid month, refuse to admit the hellish reality outside; gamble with other players  lives over what they can accomplish lmfao

Unfortunately no gameplay shown. I'm a little skeptical after Diablo 3...  :( Sure, they seem to have fixed D3 by now, but by the time they finally got rid of the auction houses etc I had long given up on it.

Riev

« Reply #12049 on: November 04, 2019, 01:20:33 PM »
There WAS some D4 gameplay shown, at least. It seemed a lot like D3 combat but just updated. Very much a "Overwatch" upgrade feeling to it.

Though I'm with you. The Real Money Auction House was a problem, but I was able to make $60 off it to pay for the game initially, before it went away, so that was nice.

If they give us a new storyline, updated graphics, and keep the rifts/Greater Rifts for progression I'd be down. The only thing I dislike about it right now is that I only play Hardcore characters, and after a week of grinding, I die to something and stop playing for months.