Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 807007 times)

mattrious

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #850 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
I just want to be able to summon, etc. It's a pain in the ass.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #851 on: December 17, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »
It's probably not you.

A lot of people, myself included, have to attempt 823042834 summons before someone comes through because of the poor setup of the game's server structure.

All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Spider

« Reply #852 on: December 17, 2012, 07:44:55 PM »
There are many differences between human and hollow form. The main one mechanically being both having the ability to summon and also be invaded. Getting cursed in human form is also an instant kill.

To me the #1 difference is the role play. You will encounter various NPCs throughout the game, some human, some not. Some of these NPCs have different dialogues depending on your form. Do you choose to cling to your humanity, or let yourself fade deeper and deeper into insanity?

Way of White members are drawn closer to each other on the network, which results in a lower chance of invasions and an increased chance of co-op. Members of this covenant are followers of Gwyn, and seek to kindle bonfires in order to sustain the power of the gods(Dark Souls Wiki). Members(NPCs) of this Covenant are first seen in human form, some believed to be full human. You can only kindle when in human form.

The lore is cryptic enough throughout the game to draw many of your own conclusions, it's up to you how you wish to play it.

One of the fun things about being human, getting invaded, losing, and playing out that drive to stay human and kindle, is that it leaves you starving for humanity. Not only does this desperation give you drive to do certain things, perhaps join the Darkwraiths and steal other's humanity, but also punctuates the struggle in the world to maintain humanity.

Personally, I've always been a fan of the Forest Covenant. The PvP there is incredibly broken and has a very high percentage of loss. However, there is nothing like beating the pants off of a 3/4 v 1. To me, this shows the struggle those in the covenant have in protecting the forest. It's frantic, dangerous, and a practically futile endeavor.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:50:56 PM by Spider »

janeshephard

« Reply #853 on: December 17, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »
Spider,

That's insightful. In fact, I think the plot follows that.

SPOILERS...........

You either end up putting out the flame and issuing a new age, or you sacrifice yourself just to prolong the current "Age of Fire" which really isn't working out well :) Of course you could also argue that Kaathe is lying to you and something else is in store in the "Age of Dark." Nonetheless, your choice ultimately is about maintaining the cycle of the Undead trying to maintain their humanity or ending it.

END SPOILERS

I'm really hoping Dark Souls 2 has a more comprehensible story. It could have been told so much better.

EDIT:

Hilarious Dark Souls video:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:32:06 PM by janeshephard »
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Dalmeth

« Reply #854 on: December 18, 2012, 02:32:48 AM »
Spider,

That's insightful. In fact, I think the plot follows that.

SPOILERS...........

You either end up putting out the flame and issuing a new age, or you sacrifice yourself just to prolong the current "Age of Fire" which really isn't working out well :) Of course you could also argue that Kaathe is lying to you and something else is in store in the "Age of Dark." Nonetheless, your choice ultimately is about maintaining the cycle of the Undead trying to maintain their humanity or ending it.

END SPOILERS

I'm really hoping Dark Souls 2 has a more comprehensible story. It could have been told so much better.

Eh, if you're looking for the story to beat you over the head with a conclusion... that's your preference.  And you're not a majority.

No matter which ending you pick, the good or evil you've done previously far outweighs that one choice.

And it's not Kaathe's goal that is good or bad, it's his methods, his game.  Even then, he's not all too significant.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

lordcooper

« Reply #855 on: December 18, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »
I just googled around. Held humanity continues to give you benefits regardless of being hollow or human.

I have so much wasted humanity.  And in the game.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

janeshephard

« Reply #856 on: December 18, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »
Crazy video on parries:

I actually don't parry much at all. How many people here can parry as well as this guy? He even parries humanoid bosses.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Desertman

« Reply #857 on: December 18, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
Has anyone been dabbling with Mech Warrior Online and if so is it worth jumping into?
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

janeshephard

« Reply #858 on: December 18, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
Has anyone been dabbling with Mech Warrior Online and if so is it worth jumping into?

It lasted two days on my drive. Not a bad game but the team work would require me to go find a group of people playing it.

If you don't plan on subscribing or paying into microtransaction it can be grindy to get your first real mech up (outside of trial mechs which give you no experience).

lordcooper

« Reply #859 on: December 18, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »
Crazy video on parries:

I actually don't parry much at all. How many people here can parry as well as this guy? He even parries humanoid bosses.

I can generally pull off a parry about 70% of the time, or around 50% in PvP (it's a lot harder to judge the window for weapons you're not used to fighting against).  It's generally not worth it IMO.

janeshephard

« Reply #860 on: December 18, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »
To The Moon is $4.99 on GoG.com

Thinking of making it my first digital xmas purchase.

Dalmeth

« Reply #861 on: December 18, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »

It will be after today.  They're removing a lot of the economy aspects, and you should essentially be able to buy any mech you want after 25 games, which is about maybe five to six hours of constant play.  Less time if you want something smaller than an assault.

PM me if you want to play a bit.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

lordcooper

« Reply #862 on: December 18, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »
Just a quick public service announcement: Do not under any circumstances fail to purchase The War Z.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/150fx4/the_warz_now_on_steamwith_no_mention_of_it_still/
http://warzscam.tumblr.com/
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3030652

Featuring microtransactions in a paid game, false advertising, faked screenshots, a plethora of bugs and performance issues, an eerie similarity to a failed f2p game, a forum that bans people for mentioning hackers and a legal agreement that contains the phrase "League of Legends" in at least one place, this pile of sunshine and rainbows is brought to you by the creators of Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

It also has awesome reflections.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:43:01 PM by lordcooper »

janeshephard

« Reply #863 on: December 18, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
I'm afraid to ask, they're hoping people buy it because it looks like DayZ or something?

Was this game greenlit and therefore on steam rippping people off?

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #864 on: December 18, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »
Just a quick public service announcement: Do not under any circumstances fail to purchase The War Z.

wait, so I should buy it?
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

janeshephard

« Reply #865 on: December 18, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »

I think he means "fail" as in "epic fail"

lordcooper

« Reply #866 on: December 18, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
I'm afraid to ask, they're hoping people buy it because it looks like DayZ or something?

Was this game greenlit and therefore on steam rippping people off?

I'm fairly sure that was the intention (and, depressingly, have seen several threads on the Steam forums where people have mistaken this for the DayZ standalone).  It's just a really shitty alpha game that they decided to give a zombie makeover to at the last minute.

It wasn't greenlit though, Valve accepted them through the traditional route for some reason.

I was going for a marketing parody.  Apparently this was a failure :'(

janeshephard

« Reply #867 on: December 18, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »
LC does Mark of the Ninja require a controller on the PC or were you able to play it via the keyboard?

lordcooper

« Reply #868 on: December 18, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »
LC does Mark of the Ninja require a controller on the PC or were you able to play it via the keyboard?

I think it actually plays a little better with keyboard and mouse (not that it plays poorly with a controller), although it did take me a couple of minutes to get to grips with a few moves.  Klei Entertainment have always been very attentive to the PC market.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #869 on: December 18, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
Heart of the Swarm Beta access came with my pre-order. Yay!

Now to cancel the pre-order.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #870 on: December 18, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
Apparently huge amounts of art assets and code have been ripped straight from their failed War Inc game, which probably lends to it's terrible performance issues. The developers admitted to faking all the pre-release screenshots (well, they called them concept art) and they ban long-time players who they believe to be heavily invested in the game just so that they'll purchase it a second time.

When called out on their blatant lies on the Steam Store page, they... guess what... replied with more lies!
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

lordcooper

« Reply #871 on: December 18, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »
and they ban long-time players who they believe to be heavily invested in the game just so that they'll purchase it a second time.

Do you have a source on that?  It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just interested in reading more about it.

Akaramu

« Reply #872 on: December 18, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
Holy shit. Did they increase the difficulty of Crusader Kings 2 with the new DLC?

Started with Kingdom of Leon - owned within the first 5 years by two civil wars, a hostile faction that is at 80% of my strength, and excommunicated and pwnt by another nation within the first 5 years.

Wow!

Last time I played, I created the Empire of Britannia without too much trouble.  :o

janeshephard

« Reply #873 on: December 18, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
CK2 got a bit easy once you learned to game some of the systems -- at least as a Christian Monarch. When I discovered using elections and just killing off or bribing my way to winning, everyone loved me because of the huge bonus you get. The only downside was holding onto all the King titles created too much animosity.

I'm interested in the new DLC if it wasn't for one thing. Once you "win" CK2 the game just goes on. So if you in two hundred years you attain a kingdom or two it gets meh. You're so powerful. Your underlings just need to be put in order every new succession and well.. things got boring.

Will certainly read up on the new factions mechanic :)

Akaramu

« Reply #874 on: December 18, 2012, 06:32:14 PM »
My Empire of Britannia game before the new DLCs got meh too, never finished it. However, I retired from my last game with three kingdom titles held because the game suddenly started to screw me over on succession. My new ruler was so unpopular for some reason that he got excommunicated TWICE in a row, didn't have enough time and money the second time to schmooze the pope, and then was run over both by England (which basically owned half of the land mass of Hispania in addition to Britannia) and repeated independence civil war factions. And boy, those independence factions can be a pain to beat down, especially if someone else has the fun idea to declare war on you at the same time. But hey, I lasted some 250 years and got a score of 29'000 with that game.

But being completely annihilated within the very first 5 years of playing Leon... that was hardcore.