Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 422335 times)

Quittle

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 11:19:36 PM »
Anyone been looking at TERA?

http://tera.enmasse.com/prelaunch?utm_source=blindferret&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=betacode&utm_campaign=prelaunch2

It scares me a bit. This is the first subscription based game which I can see myself getting sucked into. There are others who have been trying to take a stab at this kind of product with games like Darkfall, Mortal Online, RaiderZ, and Hellgate London (think it's Hellgate Japan or something now)... But I couldn't sink my teeth into any of them. TERA looks like a far more polished MMORPG-FPS.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:23:53 PM by Quittle »

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 12:16:59 AM »
Have you played the beta? Questing consists almost entirely of kill quests and the only difference between TERA combat and any other MMO is that TERA requires you to look in the general direction of your target before hitting your action bar instead of autotargeting.

The crafting system is awful, female armor designs are absolutely ridiculous, and the world PvP system means two high level players can sit on the ONLY bridge into a questing zone swinging their swords and one-shooting every newbie who tries to run past.

Also. TERA isn't an MMORPG-FPS. FPS means First Person Shooter, which TERA definitely isn't. It's a very instanced modular MMORPG full of compartmentalized questing zones whose only purpose is to speed you along from one kill quest to the next. All the quests that don't involve killing seven Darkfuck Fuckwraiths are GO HERE TALK TO DAVE. Upon finding Dave, he tells you Steve has been looking for you, who in turn sends you right back to Bob, your original questgiver.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:28:40 AM by HavokBlue »
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quittle

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:52 AM »
Have you played the beta? Questing consists almost entirely of kill quests and the only difference between TERA combat and any other MMO is that TERA requires you to look in the general direction of your target before hitting your action bar instead of autotargeting.

The crafting system is awful, female armor designs are absolutely ridiculous, and the world PvP system means two high level players can sit on the ONLY bridge into a questing zone swinging their swords and one-shooting every newbie who tries to run past.

Also. TERA isn't an MMORPG-FPS. FPS means First Person Shooter, which TERA definitely isn't. It's a very instanced modular MMORPG full of compartmentalized questing zones whose only purpose is to speed you along from one kill quest to the next. All the quests that don't involve killing seven Darkfuck Fuckwraiths are GO HERE TALK TO DAVE. Upon finding Dave, he tells you Steve has been looking for you, who in turn sends you right back to Bob, your original questgiver.

At face value, of course FPS means 'First Person Shooter'. I only meant that pointing actually matters.

Thanks for the input, though. You probably saved me some money =)

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 07:49:03 AM »
The box art for Arkham City, Game of the Year edition is atrocious.

Fortunately, the Internet has stepped in to fix it up.

Haha, did you think that was it?

MORE PRAISE
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »
The original really doesn't look that bad. Except for bat man being white instead of black, of course.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
The original really doesn't look that bad. Except for bat man being white instead of black, of course.

Who're you kidding, dude? The original looks terrible. It actually looks like the front of the GameInformer magazine or something. I could understand wanting to add a little 'jazz' to your Game of the Year edition but it just looks like they're trying to boast about how great their game is.

Lol @ Pass the controller, Bro & Brazzers.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »
Totally found some cool trailers for Mass Effect 2.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

janeshephard

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »
OMG OMG OMG OMG:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/king-of-dragon-pass/id335545504?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

I was going to get an Android tablet because I'm a heavy android user... but this is a game changer. My favorite game of all time. I mean, ALL TIME. I spent more hours on it than I did Armageddon. I once even killed Orlanth in a heroquest and made Humakt our main diety.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Yam

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
I started playing Day Z yesterday.

Day Z is a mod for ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead. Servers have 50+ players, zombies, and no rules. You roam a 255km^2 map in search of weapons, beans, and Pepsi. Some people may team up with you. Others will shoot you in the head from half a kilometer away.

Also helicopters.

is a Let's Play of sorts that's pretty accurate to the feel of the game.

It's still in an alpha and ARMA 2 is a janky game on its best days, but holy shit if this isn't fun.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 08:01:19 PM »
I tried to play Day Z. Keep the coast to your right and always travel north, they told me. Stay away from cities, they said.

I joined up with a group of a day/v/ bros and made it a couple hours before we were surrounded by a bandit gang at an airfield. They demanded one person from our group be offered up as sacrifice.

Guess who was nominated.

Yam

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 09:03:41 PM »
Haha. I'm finally going to go get a mic today and join of of their expeditions. Or I might link up with goons if they're too goofy.

Airfields are death traps and where a majority of the skilled dude PVP takes place.

The big cities like Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk are full of murderous fools, newbies, and sadistic snipers. I actually popped into Chernogorsk last night when it was pitch black and managed to loot a hunting knife, matches, compass, map, watch, and binoculars off of a dead bandit.  Then I ran for the hills and logged off far in the northern woods.

Tonight I'm going to hunt some cows for delicious, lifegiving meat and then maybe go try and take an airfield with a group of people.

Also tip: Play at night and crank your gamma and brightness to max. Everything looks like a black and white horror movie. A lot of other players don't do this, so you could have a pretty big advantage. I managed to stalk a group of three survivors for half an hour or so before I got bored.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58:53 AM »
Three of us trekked three miles to some city, dodging bandits and fighting off zombies with our shitty makarov pistols. We started working our way through Chernogorsk, gathering supplies. After some close calls with zombies, we found a hospital and started picking it over for blood packs and bandages when our point man got shot in the head. Me and the other guy start firing on the bandit across the road, which attracts EVERY FUCKING ZOMBIE EVER. Somehow, we kill the bandit and all the zombies with our pistols but we're both bleeding badly and I've got broken bones. My bro bandages us up and we give each other blood transfusions before climbing up onto the hospital roof to make camp for the night. As I'm preparing a campfire, I accidentally tap W and SPRINT FORWARD OFF THE ROOF TO MY DEATH.

Such is life in DayZ.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2012, 04:19:58 AM »
Wow. That shit looks fucking fun!

It's a PC game, right? That automatically rules me out :(

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2012, 04:33:01 AM »
Yeah. It's a mod for the military sim game Arma II and it's Operation Arrowhead expansion.

BlackMagic0

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2012, 04:55:11 AM »
Yeah. It's a mod for the military sim game Arma II and it's Operation Arrowhead expansion.

That sounds pretty fucking awesome. Sounds like I need to look into it!!
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2012, 05:50:31 AM »

lordcooper

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 05:57:39 AM »
Nebulous Hero.  It'll take you 10-15 minutes tops.  The only thing I can tell you while avoiding spoilers is that you only get to see the instructions after you finish playing.  It's rather good.

E: Is it possible to play Arma 2 with a gamepad?

2.E: I don't get why people keep making fun of that cover art.  10/10 is a truly amazing game.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:04:25 AM by lordcooper »
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Yam

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 06:46:29 AM »
It's a first person shooter where you engage at ranges in excess of 300m. Why would you play it with a gamepad.

lordcooper

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »
Because I generally perform better with a gamepad than a mouse?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »
You probably can't play Arma with a gamepad, and even if you can, I won't recommend it because pretty much every key on the keyboard does something.

Yam

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
Currently in a war torn town with Havok, losing buddies, killin bandits.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »
After an hour long trek to meet up with Yam's group at Starry Sobor, we found ourselves on opposite sides of the town. Bandits inside the town started firing on my group as we tried to circumnavigate the zombies and killed one of my bros. I was sprinting full pelt through the town to reach Yam's group while the bandits fired on me, totally not realizing one of my bros who was shot down was still alive. By the time we were able to make it back to him, he had bled out. After that we took a while to regroup and gather supplies before setting off to pillage more villages.

Most fun I've ever had in Arma.

Yam

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
I ended up breaking off from that group. A few of those guys went out with me last night. We went through Stary Sobor and the same bandit camp, killed a few other survivors, and made our way to the NW Airport. We tacticooly went around the perimeter of the airport to make sure it was clear, then started liquidating the zombies and gathering up delicious military equipment.

We noticed some poor fucker run across the airstrip and into a hanger down our row, so we went and surrounded the hanger while he pleaded that he was friendly.

Except he was a bandit.

So my buddy poked his head into the hanger to distract him, and I ran in and filled him full of buckshot.

After that the server knew that people were in the Airport so we decided to loot the rest of the buildings and get out of there fast.

We saw someone on the outskirts but they ran off before we could take a shot. We also got a little greedy and decided to clear/loot a few more hangers. Midway through one, a sniper killed one of us. Then another. Three of us managed to escape.

The other two got picked off clearing deer blinds around Stary Sobor and that's when we ended up meeting your group!

Just spent the past hour or so hunting meat so I wouldn't starve to death. I found a cow in a pasture and shot it in the head. Then I waited a while to make sure no one had come to the sound of my gunshots, butchered it, took the meat, and cooked it a ways off.

Such is life in Chernarus.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:01:01 PM by Yam »

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »
I love reading the stories, guys. Keep'em coming.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

janeshephard

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »
How can you tell if someone is a bandit? Do bandits and non-bandits wear different skins?
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.