Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 758324 times)

lordcooper

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #300 on: July 25, 2012, 03:19:09 AM »
I managed to inherit the Kingdoms of England, Ireland, Scotland, Norway and France simultaneously.  Winning!

Whoa. How did you pull that off? :o

Luck, for he most part.  Started as the Duke of Munster and created the Kingdom of Ireland.  England managed to repel the invasions and invaded Norway, then (I think) they inherited France through marriage and a couple of lucky deaths/assassinations.  I allied with England and dragged them into a prolonged series of minor wars with Scotland (mainly by inviting people with little family and weak claims on parts of Scotland to my court) until I owned enough of Scotland to usurp the Kingdom.  Then it was just a case of fighting a series of tiny de jure wars and offering to vassalize people.  All the assassinations lead to a fairly major war to depose me (which I lost) and I was back to being a mere duke again, while my son sat on the throne.  He ended up marrying the third in line for the English/French/Norwegian thrones, so I assassinated the other heirs and killed him off as soon as a son was born, thus uniting the five Kingdoms.  Then I just had to wait a couple years for my main character to get killed (he was utterly detested by this point) and I could play as my grandson, the three year old King of England, Scotland, Ireland, Norway and France.

Now I just gotta conquer Wales, pledge allegiance to a Caliph, and convert to Islam.  If I play this right, the Islamic Empire of Britannia shall spread Sharia law throughout the world.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

janeshephard

« Reply #301 on: July 25, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
In my current game, I am using the "divide" and conquer strategy. Anytime there's a rebellion in the UK I go in and help them. Soon they will all be small warring dutchies AND I SHALL CONSUME THEM.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #302 on: July 25, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
I managed to inherit the Kingdoms of England, Ireland, Scotland, Norway and France simultaneously.  Winning!

Whoa. How did you pull that off? :o

Luck, for he most part.  Started as the Duke of Munster and created the Kingdom of Ireland.  England managed to repel the invasions and invaded Norway, then (I think) they inherited France through marriage and a couple of lucky deaths/assassinations.  I allied with England and dragged them into a prolonged series of minor wars with Scotland (mainly by inviting people with little family and weak claims on parts of Scotland to my court) until I owned enough of Scotland to usurp the Kingdom.  Then it was just a case of fighting a series of tiny de jure wars and offering to vassalize people.  All the assassinations lead to a fairly major war to depose me (which I lost) and I was back to being a mere duke again, while my son sat on the throne.  He ended up marrying the third in line for the English/French/Norwegian thrones, so I assassinated the other heirs and killed him off as soon as a son was born, thus uniting the five Kingdoms.  Then I just had to wait a couple years for my main character to get killed (he was utterly detested by this point) and I could play as my grandson, the three year old King of England, Scotland, Ireland, Norway and France.

Now I just gotta conquer Wales, pledge allegiance to a Caliph, and convert to Islam.  If I play this right, the Islamic Empire of Britannia shall spread Sharia law throughout the world.

My game as the Duke of Munster wasn't nearly as exciting. I sent an army to that little de jure area south of Munster, and was winning the battle, only to have half my numbers disappear for no conceivable reason, at which point my army was eliminated, and I had to somehow hold my land with 18 men.

Nopenopenopenopenope
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Akaramu

« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2012, 07:46:49 AM »
I never manage to vassalize anyone, they're either constantly at war (can only vassalize when they're at peace) or too far away to accept.

Maybe now, in the 14th century, I'll finally be able to add England to my other kingdoms and create the Empire of Britannia (I'm already king of Ireland, Scotland and Wales). Thanks to some marriage schemes my current heir will inherit a strong claim on England, at least, though the idiotic succession law of voting for candidates prevents him from inheriting directly. I've waited half a century to get a strong claim on England for the main bloodline rather than some random vassal. Le sigh. 20 more years, at most... hopefully the game won't end before then.

Akaramu

« Reply #304 on: July 27, 2012, 04:08:21 AM »
Whoa. Running CK 2 from Steam just gave me a Malware alert (malware that was blocked). That has never happened before, not even with the same game. I hope no one hacked and infected Steam.  :o

lordcooper

« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2012, 04:34:07 AM »
I get them all the time with Avast.  It's bloody annoying.

Dalmeth

« Reply #306 on: July 27, 2012, 02:58:09 PM »
Mechwarrior : Living Legends version 0.6.0

Newest version just added a metric fuckton of content, including several new vehicles/mechs, and a few gameplay additions.  It's been roaring steadily on three servers since it first started up, and it doesn't look like it will stop.

For anyone curious : just log in and grab something with TAG.  Then point it at somebody nasty, fire off, and wait for your teammates to do the same.  Simple.

Whoa. Running CK 2 from Steam just gave me a Malware alert (malware that was blocked). That has never happened before, not even with the same game. I hope no one hacked and infected Steam.  :o

I had this problem too.  In Avast, I had to go to real-time shields, select file system shield on the drop down, then expert settings, and then exclusions.  I just added my steam folder from there and then had to restore my .dll file.

For that, you hit Maintenance, select Virus Chest from the dropdown, and then restore the file that it is mistakenly placing there.  For me, it was vstdlib_s.dll.

Good luck with that.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

janeshephard

« Reply #307 on: July 27, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »

Any guides on playing as a Muslim ruler? I have the DLC but can't figure out the mechanics.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

lordcooper

« Reply #308 on: July 27, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »
I haven't played as them much, but there are a few quite major differences when play as an Islamic ruler.  Spain is a pretty good place to get to grips with them due to the close presence of both Muslims and Catholics.

1. Every (male?) character can go on Hajj once.  Doing so gives you a permanent positive opinion modifier with other Muslim rulers and a small to moderate piety boost.  You can also potentially gain a few positive character attributes and/or remove some negative ones.  I tend to wait until I've developed at least one negative trait before setting off, but it can be useful to it earlier sometimes.

2. Piety is super mega important and can be used for imprisoning, declaring war and a few other things.  You lose piety by declaring war on other rulers of the same religion.

3. You can hold both castles and mosques directly without penalty.

4. The only succession mode available is Free Succession.  This means that whoever has the most titles will inherit everything and makes it pretty easy to choose your heir.

5. Decadence is a pain in the ass.  You mainly gain it by having unlanded male family (including extended family) and lose it through observing Ramadan, granting land to family members and waging war.

6. You need to ensure you have enough wives for your title, or suffer a pretty major prestige penalty.  This tends to result in loads and loads of sons who will plot against each other and you.  You can bypass this to a large extent by marrying older women, but some may consider this twinky.

7. You have an automatic casus belli against any county directly next to your own, which is nice.

8. Women are pretty much worthless, so give your daughters terrible guardians to minimise the bonuses their husbands receive.

9. Whereas it's generally beneficial to spread your dynasty far and wide as a Christian ruler, Muslims have more to gain by pruning the family tree every so often.  You REALLY don't want extended family coming into any significant power.  Your family may well turn out to be your single largest threat.

10. Be prepared to be at war a hell of a lot.  Expansion is much easier as a Muslim ruler, and rebellions seem a lot more common.

11. Keep your children weak, and your brothers/uncles even weaker.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2012, 07:40:13 AM »
I've been watching my muslim buddy play as a muslim leader, and he's been doing pretty well.

He lived to be about 72, and conquered a sizable area including Jerusalem, held off two crusades, fought civil wars, etc. When he died and became his son, he was almost immediately assassinated by the Hashashin, and forced to play as THAT character's 3 year old son. The regent converted him from shite to sunni, despite the fact that he was the shite caliph, which caused all sorts of crazy problems. Eventually, it got to the point that the Hashashin were assassinating his council faster than he could replace them, and his Chief of Qadi was demanding that said Chief be replaced for failing to fulfill his duties.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

janeshephard

« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »
Sounds hard.

Looking for a new place to play in. Maybe I'll try Poland or something.

Zoltan

« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
Empire Total War is available for $4.99 on Steam, just bought it and spent another $5 on the DLC. Will post my thoughts in the days to come.

There's a whole Total War megapack up for sale on steam right now if you're into those types of games. Shogun 2 didn't interest me. Regret the purchase.

For Empire, go download DarthMod Ultimate Commander right now. Empire with that mod magically turns into one of the finest, most addicting games I have ever played. I can't recommend it enough. If your hardware is kind of crap (like mine), be sure to look for the smaller size units mini mod, as darthmod will stick thousands of soldiers on the field. The only thing holding this game back from ultimate glory for me is that it overheats my poor computer and doesn't perform that great. When I upgrade to a better box someday I'm going to reinstall this and then have an epic joygasm.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

lordcooper

« Reply #312 on: July 28, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
What do you think of vanilla Empire?

Yam

« Reply #313 on: July 28, 2012, 09:09:06 PM »
Vanilla Empire is fun but it's the buggiest of the Total Wars.

lordcooper

« Reply #314 on: July 29, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
The latest Indie Royale bundle is pretty ace.  Highlights are Unepic (quite a funny metroidvania game) and the Geneforge Saga (about 500 hours worth of multiple-ended, decision-making, turn-based combat RPG goodness).  It's £3.49 right now and worth a hell of a lot more.

Also of interest (to me at least  :P) are two Kickstarter projects.

Castle Story is a cool looking voxel based (not just cubes) strategy game about building castles on floating islands and defending them.  It hit it's target five hours in.  $15 gets you beta access and a full copy of the game on release.

Knock-knock is the latest project from Ice-Pick Lodge, the crazy Russian developers who made Pathologic, The Void, and Cargo! The Quest for Gravity.  I'm not really sure how to describe the game other than a supernatural hide-em-up, but it's virtually guaranteed to be interesting and bizarre.  $5 gets you a copy of the game on release.

Vanilla Empire is fun but it's the buggiest of the Total Wars.

I'd kinda written it off as two lines of troops standing still and firing.  I'll give it another go some time if people reckon it's worthwhile.

janeshephard

« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »
Picked up Fallout: New Vegas for the PC off steam for $10. Sale ended a while ago.

Had this on the PS3 and was one of the people who returned it for a full refund (buggy as hell). Hoping they patched it all up.

AdamBlue

« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »
I find it a bit funny how I haven't bought a single game on my steam profile and literally have hundreds of dollars worth of videogames on it.

Also, Dark Souls. Dark. Souls. DARK SOULS. DARK SOULS!

janeshephard

« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »
I find it a bit funny how I haven't bought a single game on my steam profile and literally have hundreds of dollars worth of videogames on it.

Also, Dark Souls. Dark. Souls. DARK SOULS. DARK SOULS!

Gifts?

janeshephard

« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »
What a bunch of bull. New Vegas is still buggy as hell. I installed an independent sheriff in Primm and people are talking about them wimping out and accepting NCR rule. NO THEY DID NOT.

Akaramu

« Reply #319 on: August 07, 2012, 07:38:43 AM »
I'm having so much fun with that X series bundle on Steam. Immensely complex and hard to get into (the handbook and tutorial for X2, the threat, doesn't even mention the autopilot and time accelerator function), but still very addictive.

Kol

« Reply #320 on: August 08, 2012, 02:21:01 AM »
LC gifted a copy of 'The Political Machine' As a democrat, it's disheartening to get your ass kicked by Sara Pailin. Then Romney. I start of really well too, usually have quite a few of the states solid blue, before that red curtain goes down.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Malken

« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »
So.. The Secret World.

Yay or Nay?

http://www.thesecretworld.com/media
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Chettaman

• Helper
    • Facebook!
« Reply #322 on: August 09, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
Dark Souls... @_@
I suck at anything not a mage or a full on shield-wielding warrior.
Live like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Cutthroat

• Helper
« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »
Tried a bit of Crusader Kings II, both as the Earl of Dublin in 1066.

Attempt 1: I usurp a claim while waiting to buy a title for another area. Dad dies and I take his stuff. Then I die and my son takes my stuff. Half the family catches tuberculosis. Fast forward a few years. Usurping a claim finally succeeds, but the guy I took it from is really pissed off and has me excommunicated. King Harold invades Dublin and forces me to abdicate. Decided to retire there.

Attempt 2: I decide not to piss people off and just bide my time and build my economy. Then I get a prompt saying that my son's wife is throwing herself at me, and the only button/choice there is to screw her. Nine months later and a bastard is born, who I decide to legitimize, because hey, in for a penny, in for a pound. Now my son hates me (-30 for cuckoldry and -50 for legitimizing the baby, or something like that). My wife kills the son's wife and I have her arrested. A few months later, I get a prompt saying the wine tasted funny. "Who could hate me so?" Son takes over, and I find that his ambition to kill Dad succeeded. Son puts Mom in the Oubilette.

janeshephard

« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »
Tried a bit of Crusader Kings II, both as the Earl of Dublin in 1066.

Attempt 1: I usurp a claim while waiting to buy a title for another area. Dad dies and I take his stuff. Then I die and my son takes my stuff. Half the family catches tuberculosis. Fast forward a few years. Usurping a claim finally succeeds, but the guy I took it from is really pissed off and has me excommunicated. King Harold invades Dublin and forces me to abdicate. Decided to retire there.

Attempt 2: I decide not to piss people off and just bide my time and build my economy. Then I get a prompt saying that my son's wife is throwing herself at me, and the only button/choice there is to screw her. Nine months later and a bastard is born, who I decide to legitimize, because hey, in for a penny, in for a pound. Now my son hates me (-30 for cuckoldry and -50 for legitimizing the baby, or something like that). My wife kills the son's wife and I have her arrested. A few months later, I get a prompt saying the wine tasted funny. "Who could hate me so?" Son takes over, and I find that his ambition to kill Dad succeeded. Son puts Mom in the Oubilette.

Usually I just WTF pwn all of Ireland and then get screwed when every damn noble wants to rebel after my leader dies. Hardest thing to do is to hold onto a large kingdom.