Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 489487 times)

drunkendwarf

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »
my life for tribes ascend, man

If anyone else is playing, add me and let's play some time. TheRoadNorth.

Holy shit. I wasted hours playing tribes 2 with my brothers. Some of the fondest computer-playing memories I have. This is awesome - I had no idea they'd kicked it back into gear.

janeshephard

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »
I'd play tribes ascend but the F2P part makes me not want to.

Difference between exclusive club and a free for all park :)
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »
Picked up Fable III for $8.99 - Figured it was a decent price for the game.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Zoltan

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »
my life for tribes ascend, man

If anyone else is playing, add me and let's play some time. TheRoadNorth.

Holy shit. I wasted hours playing tribes 2 with my brothers. Some of the fondest computer-playing memories I have. This is awesome - I had no idea they'd kicked it back into gear.

I've heard mixed things about Ascend. Though I have to say, when Tribes 2 was "re-released" as free some years ago, I got hopelessly addicted to it. What a great game design.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

WWYD

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
There are some places where they've hiccuped really bad, like the matchmaking system (you can queue 'with friends' but the game will basically filter you in one at a time as slots open on a server, for example') or..

CTF/CH Raindance.  :-\ Friendly Fire isn't enabled in pub games.

But it's still a blast.

janeshephard

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/204060/

Anyone else playing Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery on their PC? I'm sort of bored with it to be honest. I can see how it would be fun on an iPad though.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

A Large Bag

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
Been trying to play Legend of Grimrock. Cool game from what I can see but it is overheating my graphics card and crashing. I turned all the settings down, turned on vsync and it ran a lot longer but still crashed. Any suggestions? I don't want to try any more without doing something else for fear of frying my card.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
Clean out your computer. Most heat comes from excess dust and stuff clogging the fans and airways. Barring that, get a new coolant system, and barring that get a new video card.

A Large Bag

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
Already cleaned it out. It seems from checking up on it I'm not the only one having this problem with this game. Other games run fine for me but this one overheats my card after about 10 minutes of playing.

janeshephard

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
Already cleaned it out. It seems from checking up on it I'm not the only one having this problem with this game. Other games run fine for me but this one overheats my card after about 10 minutes of playing.

Is vsync off?

A Large Bag

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 10:17:27 AM »
It was overheating faster before I turned it on. I turned it on at the suggestion of some posters on forums having the same problem. I think I've got it now though. I downloaded a program called nvidiaInspector and used it to limit my frame rate by the temperature of my card. So far, I've been able to play as long as I want without overheating now and I'm not noticing any input delay or anything.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:14:16 AM by A Large Bag »

Sephiroto

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
It was overheating faster before I turned it on. I turned it on at the suggestion of some posters on forums having the same problem. I think I've got it now though. I downloaded a program called nvidiaInspector and used it to limit my frame rate by the tempurature of my card. So far, I've been able to play as long as I want without overheating now and I'm not noticing any input delay or anything.

On many games, my GPU gets hotter when the drawing is easier and the FPS rates jump.  For instance, on TF2 I might get 200FPS because the screens are easy to draw and the cards want to melt down, so I limit to 60 and everything is fine.  I've found that limiting FPS to 60 or 30 keeps my cards much cooler on average with no loss of visual quality even at 30FPS, particularly on older games.  I also use MSI Afterburner to monitor frame rates, temps, and set up fan profiles.  With most NVidia cards, the default fan profiles don't kick in until the card is HOT.  Curiously, what cards are you using?  I have two NVidia 465s, which use the Fermi chipset and run a bit hotter than most cards.  If you are using SLI then you can also save some heat by spacing the cards further apart if your motherboard config allows for it.

As for me, I've been playing Final Fantasy 14 when I have time.  The game runs so much better than at release and it is so relaxing every time I play it.

A Large Bag

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »
Geforce GT 430 1gb card. Apparently this game tries to ramp up fps as high as it can auto and without limiting it yourself it's causing some cards to overheat real bad. Wouldn't mind setting up a better system for gaming but I really don't play games on the pc that much. Dunno though...Diablo 3 may finally come out soon...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:20:13 AM by A Large Bag »

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »
As for me, I've been playing Final Fantasy 14 when I have time.  The game runs so much better than at release and it is so relaxing every time I play it.

Is it really that much better?  I was in the Beta and the game was unplayable... the controls were horrendous.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Sephiroto

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2012, 11:49:39 AM »
Geforce GT 430 1gb card. Apparently this game tries to ramp up fps as high as it can auto and without limiting it yourself it's causing some cards to overheat real bad. Wouldn't mind setting up a better system for gaming but I really don't play games on the pc that much. Dunno though...Diablo 3 may finally come out soon...

You have a Fermi card too, I think.  They tend to run 10-15C hotter than the other chipsets.  Just make sure to update a fan profile that ramps up the fan RPMs before the cards actually get hot.  My advice is to find a setting that keeps the operational temperature of the cards below 75C in hot weather and 68C in cooler indoor temperatures.  The cards are pretty safe to run up to 80C, but I really don't want mine to get that hot if I can help it.

Is it really that much better?  I was in the Beta and the game was unplayable... the controls were horrendous.

Lots of updates.  The UI is much better, with further overhauls coming out with their 2.0 patch.  In general, the game is a lot more fast pace.  Crafting and leveling at lower levels is simpler and easier.  There are still some issues with the market wards and UI speed that are supposed to be fixed with the 2.0 overhaul.  Apparently the guy who started FF14 was an MMO-tard and the new leadership is making it more like the success of FF11, which had lots of loyal players, and streamlining the UI whilst adding features like new jobs and stuff.

Case

• Helper
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
Been trying to play Legend of Grimrock. Cool game from what I can see but it is overheating my graphics card and crashing. I turned all the settings down, turned on vsync and it ran a lot longer but still crashed. Any suggestions? I don't want to try any more without doing something else for fear of frying my card.
When you say overheat, what does it cause? A crash, or does it stop operating (screen goes black)? How hot is it getting?

Unless it's getting to 100+ C (depends on the ambient temperature of where you live though), it's not overheating causing the problem. These cards only start overheating at 100 to 120 celsius, depending on the card. The problem with a GPU running hot is the what it does to the air around it, and the additional strain it puts on the power supply especially. That will cause problems but not necessarily crashes.

When I got Fallout New Vegas, I had a similar heat problem, but it wasn't my graphics card. It was the draw from the power supply + the heat of the GPU overexerting the power supply and creating a feedback loop... until the PSU would make oscillation sounds and the PC get unstable. Replacing the PSU with a better quality one (not by wattage, but by efficiency) fixed the problem.

If others are getting your problem, especially people with similar computer components to you, it could be bad coding on the game's part. There's lots of ways to write inefficient code. It may be keeping your GPU running at high load for long periods of time. Only fix for that would be getting a better GPU or watching on a patch. A Geforce 430 isn't very good - would be worth getting a better card if you can afford it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:25:36 PM by Case »

Is Friday

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
Should I get Skryim or Mass Effect 3 or Witcher 2? All for XBox. I'm afraid Witcher would suck on a console....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:54:02 PM by Is Friday »
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

A Large Bag

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »
Skyrim was pretty awesome.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »
Should I get Skryim or Mass Effect 3 or Witcher 2? All for XBox. I'm afraid Witcher would suck on a console....

Either Skyrim or ME3. Skyrim lasts longer but gets old faster. I'd probably just get both, honestly.

lordcooper

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »

No idea what Witcher 2 is like on a console.  Grab ME3 if you're more interested in plot, dialogue and just plain shooting folks, grab Skyrim if you prefer dragonstinkering with character builds, slightly more tactical combat and wandering round being a virtual demigod.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Malken

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 04:02:36 PM »
I vote for Witcher 2 myself, I'm playing it right now on my Xbox and it looks great (Not as great as when I played it on my Alienware, but, yeah..), beside, it's a lot more Armageddon'ish than the other two.

I guess ME3 could appeal to your military background. (and then you can rez the thread where we're all hatin' on the ending.)

Skyrim is okay, a lot better if you can grab mods, though, so.. PC.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
Having played both pretty extensively, I'd probably go with ME3 (if you've followed ME1 & ME2) simply because - If you play Skyrim's main quest only, you can have that beat within 6 hours, tops. ME3's storyline took me roughly 10 hours? But the Multiplayer really makes it's replay value high since I've logged many, many hours into it.

Having played through all of the Mass Effect series using only a Soldier, I realize on Multiplayer that all the other classes were so much more fun :D
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2012, 09:03:30 AM »
Bcw81 and I have been playing the Napoleonic Wars expansion for Mount and Blade. It's really unique and fun. Haven't had a chance to do a full linebattle with a regiment yet, but I'll post screenshots whenever that happens.

The Commander Battle game mode is also really fun. Spent a few hours playing an 18 vs 18 game in which ever player commands a company of 20 soldiers. There's something about hundreds of soldiers firing off muskets in unison that sucks me in. Also, rocketry. GLORIOUS BRITISH ROCKETRY.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Yam

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »
Bcw81 and I have been playing the Napoleonic Wars expansion for Mount and Blade. It's really unique and fun. Haven't had a chance to do a full linebattle with a regiment yet, but I'll post screenshots whenever that happens.

The Commander Battle game mode is also really fun. Spent a few hours playing an 18 vs 18 game in which ever player commands a company of 20 soldiers. There's something about hundreds of soldiers firing off muskets in unison that sucks me in. Also, rocketry. GLORIOUS BRITISH ROCKETRY.

Shiiiiiit I used to play it back when it was Mount & Musket.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
I think they took the mod offline when they got set up with Taleworlds to do an official release. Never played MM but I think general consensus is that everything is better except overhead bayonet strikes being ridiculously effective against cavalry (and everything else).
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.