Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 843207 times)

RogueGunslinger

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #12050 on: November 10, 2019, 08:10:13 AM »
15 hours in and Red Dead Redemption 2 is the best open world game I've played. It's better than The Witcher 3 when it comes to exploration, gameplay, immersion. Not sure if the writing/story is better yet. Will see in time.

If you are worried about PC release and optimization definitely wait for more patches. It's crashed twice on me, but runs better than I thought it would on my 1060 3gig, 8gig ram, 1700x. Average 55 fps, with lowest never dropping below 30. But it took a lot of finagling with settings. I'm on mostly medium with some low settings. I haven't noticed any stutter, which I normally can when a game drops to 30fps.

Hauwke

« Reply #12051 on: November 10, 2019, 03:04:51 PM »
15 hours in and Red Dead Redemption 2 is the best open world game I've played. It's better than The Witcher 3 when it comes to exploration, gameplay, immersion. Not sure if the writing/story is better yet. Will see in time.

If you are worried about PC release and optimization definitely wait for more patches. It's crashed twice on me, but runs better than I thought it would on my 1060 3gig, 8gig ram, 1700x. Average 55 fps, with lowest never dropping below 30. But it took a lot of finagling with settings. I'm on mostly medium with some low settings. I haven't noticed any stutter, which I normally can when a game drops to 30fps.

Did you wait for the PC release?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #12052 on: November 10, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »
Yep. How good this game looks is constantly blowing me away. Keep finding myself sidetracking down multiple side missions and hunting trips, finding ways to earn money, im thoroughly enjoying it.

Hauwke

« Reply #12053 on: November 10, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
Yep. How good this game looks is constantly blowing me away. Keep finding myself sidetracking down multiple side missions and hunting trips, finding ways to earn money, im thoroughly enjoying it.

Oh you are in for such a treat. Even the ps4 version of the game was really pretty, so I can only imagine what it would look like on a high end PC.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #12054 on: December 16, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »
Red Dead 2 on PC is great, now that the technical issues are mostly sorted. 

I wish Red Dead Online had more content though. The single player is great but I really enjoy the fantasy of riding around with a band of buddies on the frontier. A lot of the organic interactions with players feel kind of dumb. Bcw81 and I encountered a rival posse transporting goods for sale and we ambushed them, killed them, and took their wagon. They respawned less than 100 feet away and shot us. The next 10 minutes consisted of us taking turns respawning and shooting one another before they ultimately got the wagon to their destination by having one man kill our horses and camp our spawn while the other rode off.

The world would benefit from more free roam content and more incentive to interact (positively or negatively) with other players in the open world.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Akaramu

« Reply #12055 on: January 01, 2020, 07:11:33 AM »
Really enjoying a Let's Play for Death Stranding. The graphics are excellent and the story / world building top-notch, none of that done to death clichéd zombie stuff. For instance, this world has turned rainfall into 'timefall' that advances the time for anything it touches - like the cargo containers the main character is supposed to deliver. And death is even more scary than in a zombie apocalypse. By far the most fascinating game setting I've seen since Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's very light on action early on and maybe always and involves a lot of walking / driving around, which some people might find boring. I find it relaxing, though.

Recommending the playthrough by this Youtuber:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:14:17 AM by Akaramu »

Hauwke

« Reply #12056 on: January 01, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »
Death Stranding is an extremely weird game. But somehow it's fun as hell if you get past the weirdness.

X-D

« Reply #12057 on: January 01, 2020, 07:33:35 PM »
I kinda don't see how a walking simulator could be all that fun.

From what I have seen, I could play the first five hours, then need somebody else to play the next 60 then I could play the last 5 again.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #12058 on: January 01, 2020, 08:16:07 PM »
It's not really a walking sim. Walking sim suggests all you do is walk from point a to point b while listening to dialog and watching cut-scenes. This is like someone took a walking-sim and gamified the traveling portion of it so it's actually an obstacle you need to overcome. I haven't played it so I don't know how well that translates into a fun times, but calling it a walking sim is a bit disingenuous.

X-D

« Reply #12059 on: January 01, 2020, 10:48:08 PM »
Maybe, but I have watched much playthrough. And the middle 40 hours of play seems pretty much just walking back and forth without even the dialog or cutscenes. So, is it just a walking sim...no, is it mostly a walking sim...yes.

Keep in mind, When I first heard of the game I was like, Meh, not me, then I watched a good 3 hours of play and was like well, maybe I was wrong and I should consider it. Then I watched another 3 hours and was like Yup, I was wrong, it is even worse then I first expected.

The persons walkthrough that I was watching was putting up around a hour at a time. So I check in on part 49...so you figure 50 hours in and guess what, they were still walking back and forth and had actually had to go backwards while the story was barely advanced from hour 6. So maybe it is your thing, but I would wait till it is on a steam sale or something.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Hauwke

« Reply #12060 on: January 02, 2020, 03:12:59 AM »
It really depends on what you want from a game, walking sim isn't wrong, there is a lot of walking. But DayZ was also nicknamed a running simulator.

It has its moments of combat and it has its moments of story, I would compare it more to Breath of the Wild than to Metal Gear Solid or something like that. The fun is in the traversal, not in the few combat encounters there is.

And if that isn't your thing? That's okay. Not everyone likes that kind of stuff. Not everyone likes MUDs, yet here we are enjoying one. I had a pretty good time with the game, personally.

Akaramu

« Reply #12061 on: January 02, 2020, 09:10:14 AM »
I probably enjoy watching it because I care far more about an intriguing, unique story, characters and setting than about combat. The atmosphere sucked me right in. It's a bit like streaming a decent TV show, if a delivery mission takes too long I just skip a few minutes of video.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #12062 on: January 02, 2020, 11:17:35 AM »
I really enjoyed Death Stranding. The story is fantastic. I blew through the last 1/3 when I probably shouldn't have, just to see how it ended, though nothing really got me with surprise. I cried at the end. It's more of a series of fetch quests with a story than a walking sim. The only thing I don't like is when it abruptly becomes a first person shooter just because it can. I can't imagine that watching someone play it would be very fun, since puzzling out how to get from A to B is where the fun is.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

Pale Horse

« Reply #12063 on: January 07, 2020, 05:24:37 PM »
I've gotten back into Tales of Maj'Eyal.

I blame Akaramu.

Lots of new stuff since last I played.  Still as brutal, if not more so, from what I remember.

Loving it.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Fathi

« Reply #12064 on: January 08, 2020, 02:59:05 AM »
I am so obsessed with Disco Elysium right now. I didn’t know it was possible to get this into a game that wasn’t Armageddon.

The writing is superb. The mystery solving aspect is fun and intriguing enough. But the politics and the ability to generate worldwide social upheaval are just… muah. *chef kissing fingers emoji*

I had to pack down my tower for a while and my itch to play DE is right up there with the ol’ Arm withdrawal feeling. Goodness.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Akaramu

« Reply #12065 on: January 08, 2020, 04:44:54 AM »
I am so obsessed with Disco Elysium right now. I didn’t know it was possible to get this into a game that wasn’t Armageddon.

The writing is superb. The mystery solving aspect is fun and intriguing enough. But the politics and the ability to generate worldwide social upheaval are just… muah. *chef kissing fingers emoji*

I had to pack down my tower for a while and my itch to play DE is right up there with the ol’ Arm withdrawal feeling. Goodness.

If so many Armers love the same game, it has to be something special...  8)

Let's hope that Cyberpunk is also going to be awesome.