Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 600207 times)

Is Friday

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #11525 on: December 15, 2017, 11:03:45 PM »
Yeah, avatar game playing.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Akaramu

« Reply #11526 on: December 16, 2017, 06:50:11 AM »
I just realized that Quantic Dream, the (best, imo) developer of story-driven choice / consequence games like Beyond: Two Souls, is releasing a new game in 2018. Unfortunately it's PS4 only.  :'(

Dammit, I wasn't planning to buy a PS4! THIS is a strong argument, though...

lordcooper

« Reply #11527 on: December 16, 2017, 02:16:53 PM »
Someone has to post this whenever QD is mentioned.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
« Reply #11528 on: December 16, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »
SHAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #11529 on: December 18, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
SHAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Akariel

• Administrator
« Reply #11530 on: December 26, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »
I'm quite enjoying Everspace as my new roguelike.

tortall

« Reply #11531 on: December 26, 2017, 01:11:51 PM »
We got Cup Head for Christmas and it's pretty awesome so far. SUPER hard, even on easy mode. All of us keep taking turns playing.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

boog

« Reply #11532 on: December 26, 2017, 09:13:35 PM »
Super Mario Kart (Deluxe 8, can't forget that, according to the littlest) is amazeballs and so fun.

I haven't cracked into Breath of the Wild yet. I might wait until the kids go back to school, because biggest boog keeps nagging me to play it and fuck him, it's my game.  ;D ;D ;D
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Cind

« Reply #11533 on: January 23, 2018, 06:26:37 AM »
I've been watching a walkthrough of pacifist Undertale. Its so funny. The guy kept petting the snowdog and his head kept climbing into the heavens.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

lordcooper

« Reply #11534 on: February 08, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/376240/Hadean_Lands/

This is fucking phenomenal.  It is literally the only game in the genre that I have ever enjoyed enough to finish.  Top notch writing, great setting, puzzles that actually make sense as you gradually piece together the world's rules (no 'put cat on toaster' to open the door).  Having finished the game it feels like I've basically learned alchemy.  Seriously, give it a go, I can't recommend this game highly enough.

Cind

« Reply #11535 on: February 09, 2018, 05:52:24 AM »
Every three months or so I play a half run-through of Ocarina of Time 3D. That game, and King's Quest VII, I have played many, many, many, MANY times. I only play around half because I just don't finish games for the most part.

I'm curious about Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator. You can pit romans against mongols, santas against zombies. Most of the game is deciding how to set your parameters, for example making your santas super-strong. Pitting a chicken with a strength of a million against a thousand t-rexes. Then you watch the fight. Hey, its a game that only takes a couple of minutes to play, I like that.

Akaramu

« Reply #11536 on: February 09, 2018, 08:09:36 AM »
Currently watching a LP for Get Even, a pretty damn interesting psychological horror game. Plus it does some stuff I haven't seen done in other horror games.

Cind

« Reply #11537 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:45 AM »

Its a genocide route playthrough, no commentary, of Undertale where you and Chara duke it out in your head through the whole thing. Its hilarious. You probably wouldn't get it if you didn't already know that part of the story.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #11538 on: February 17, 2018, 02:46:41 AM »
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is right up this forums alley.

lordcooper

« Reply #11539 on: February 17, 2018, 09:37:48 AM »
So, Kingdom Come.

Fantastic sense of place, pretty pixels and a really damn fun combat system (once you've levelled up a little and unlocked a few moves, it's a bit of a clusterfuck before you reach that point but you'll reach it in a couple of hours).

The dialogue is a bit iffy in places and they evidently lack CDPs talent for characterisation, but it's functional enough beyond causing the occasional eyeroll.

Stealth mechanics like pickpocketing and lockpicking involve succeeding at really quite difficult (and quite frankly shit) minigames.  Saving before doing anything vaguely sneaky is wise, you'll probably need a few attempts.

Speaking of saving, autosaves are less than generously placed and the game does not save on quitting.  You need to either sleep or consume a specific beverage to manually save.  Said beverage seems ridiculously expensive at the start of the game, but can be brewed pretty damn cheaply.  Prioritise figuring out how ASAP and keep a decent stock of them on you to avoid frustration, but this is pretty easily done.

I've encountered a few fairly major bugs so far.  One was an NPC who is involved in one quest and triggers another refusing to strike up a conversation.  Googling the name of the former quest shows you how to skip that step, but the latter can't be started at all as far as I can tell.  I also somehow lost the ability to sprint and had to reload my last save to regain it.  Unfortunately that save was somehow bugged and spawns me in seemingly random locations, including some I've never even visited yet.

So yeah, the game has issues.  That I'm still playing is testament to just how well it does in other areas.

Survival mechanics are present and actually pretty reasonable.  I can scoff down a bowl of soup in the morning and just grab a few apples for a topup come evening.

The equipment system is possibly the best I've ever seen.  Multiple layers of clothing/armour with a plethora of stats and interaction between them.  Wearing a few decent rings makes you look more respectable, but the benefit is lost if they're covered by gloves.  Metal things make more noise as you're moving around, but a guy in full armour is less visually conspicuous in an armoury than one in merchant garb.  Your clothes also get tattered and dirty, requiring mending or replacement and occasional washes, and you get noticeably better prices from well-to-do merchants when not caked in mud and blood.  This is the only game where I've decided against a shortcut because I was dressed nicely.

Generic stolen goods lose their tag pretty quickly (and can often be sold right away merely by moving a few towns away) but rare/unique/expensive things are remembered far longer.  Good luck fencing Lord Shinyhelm's famous shiny helmet.

Levelling skills isn't merely a case of getting bigger numbers like in most RPGs, it actually changes things on a mechanical level.  The easiest example here is probably archery, where I currently struggle to hit a target at 20ft and hold the bow so poorly that using it without hand/arm protection causes actual damage.  Which is probably about right for a peasant who just picked one up for the first time.

So yeah, it's an obvious labour of love but not without some fairly major flaws.  It might be worth waiting for a couple of patches, but there's a genuinely great game that isn't afraid to shun a few genre conventions right here.

Akaramu

« Reply #11540 on: February 17, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
Lordcooper, what's the modding support look like? This sounds like the kind of game that would really benefit from a modding community  8)

Yam

« Reply #11541 on: February 17, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »
What game isn't better with romanceable mudcrabs?

racurtne

« Reply #11542 on: February 17, 2018, 01:32:38 PM »
I picked kingdom come up as well. While I have had only a couple of hours to play, I agree with Lord Cooper's assessment entirely.

I am a history buff so the attention to detail is much appreciated.
Alea iacta est

lordcooper

« Reply #11543 on: February 17, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
After playing a bit more I have to strongly recommend waiting for patches.  Three of the last five sidequests I attempted bugged out at least once, and I'm seemingly unable to progress with the main questline because an important NPC hasn't woken up in eight days.  Post release support will be the deciding factor for whether it's worth your money, because I'm really struggling to believe they even have a QA team right now.

Lordcooper, what's the modding support look like? This sounds like the kind of game that would really benefit from a modding community  8)

People seem to still be figuring out how moddable the game is.  Apparently the devs have said they'll be releasing tools for it at some point.

Malken

« Reply #11544 on: February 17, 2018, 09:11:15 PM »
I stopped playing Kingdom Come after each conversations with any of the NPCs took between 10-20 seconds to load. So ridiculous.

Being able to save only when you have a certain drink is mega retarded as well, considering that the game very rarely autosaves and it also crashes often. At least if you're playing it on the PC you can mod it out to be able to save whenever you want.

One of the quests I had was an archery contest except most of the time you end up with contestants who don't even have bows so they just stand there, doing nothing, and if you try to leave, you automatically lose the contest  :o

There's also random chests that you can find early on and that contains epic loot that you can sell and have more than enough money to blow on pretty much everything you want/need until the end of the game.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:22:19 PM by Malken »
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

lordcooper

« Reply #11545 on: February 18, 2018, 01:31:51 AM »
It's actually been remarkably stable for me, despite the bugs.  I've played maybe 10-15 hours and not had a single crash.  The longest loading screen I've has was maybe 2 seconds, most are all but instant.  I'm running the game on an SSD, 4770k and dual 780tis, so it's not like I have a bleeding edge rig anymore.

The saving thing is pretty dumb, but you can brew the drink almost immediately after finishing the prologue and it costs maybe 10-15 whateverthecurrencyiscalled at most to buy the ingredients.

It sounds like the archery contest went better for you though!  I fired off one arrow and failed instantly...

Really hoping they deliver on bugfixes, there's a brilliant game hidden beneath that mountain of jankiness.

lordcooper

« Reply #11546 on: March 02, 2018, 11:49:00 PM »
You guys should check out Into The Breach.  I expected a shallow and repetitive game that I'd bounce off almost instantly, but bought it because the devs racked up a lot of goodwill with their continued support of FTL.

It's good.  Really good.  The tactical possibilities offered by the different squads, loadouts and (to a lesser extent) pilots mean that I'm constantly having to change up my playstyle.  There's a great variety of enemy types, and they're surprisingly different in terms in abilities.  Extra enemies seem to be added on subsequent playthroughs.  Terrain becomes an increasingly important consideration, with forest fire, sandstorms and the like becoming vital considerations rather than little extras.  Arguably most importantly, the emphasis on protecting civilians makes this really unique.  You have to balance the natural desire to wipe out enemies ASAP with minimising damage to structures, which is more complicated than it sounds when additional waves are incoming next turn.  There are four bugs already active, with an additional three spawning next turn.  I can lose one building and kill three of them, lose no buildings and kill one, or lose a mech while killing two and preventing ensuring only one addition enemy can spawn next turn.   The correct choice will vary based upon a shitload of factors, but I can't think of any other game where placing my best character in a position where he will definitely die is a valid consideration.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #11547 on: March 03, 2018, 01:38:37 AM »
I'm excited for dark souls remaster, I'm gonna kill so many!
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Akaramu

« Reply #11548 on: March 03, 2018, 07:34:45 AM »
You guys should check out Into The Breach.  I expected a shallow and repetitive game that I'd bounce off almost instantly, but bought it because the devs racked up a lot of goodwill with their continued support of FTL.

I like it as well, but compared to FTL, it IS shallow and repetitive. Still good - I'll probably enjoy it for 50 hours or so - but not 300 or anywhere close to it. It just feels like so much is missing, like... over 50 achievement coins but everything you can unlock totals to like 30 or less. Clearly, more unlockables are planned but not implemented. And why is the difficulty of the final island adjusted to how many islands you completed before it? That's just nonsense. Imagine if you could do the FTL boss fight after 2 maps and it would be made 'easy' so you can do it after 2 maps. Also, no shops, no quests, no random events with different outcomes and upgrades are very rare and limited. By map 3 I usually add one weapon (that I can actually use) to one mech. That's it. FTL's upgrades felt far more impactful and happened much more often.

Oh, and why the hell does the game offer you equipment for mech classes you are not using in that playthrough as reputation rewards?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 07:37:18 AM by Akaramu »

Akaramu

« Reply #11549 on: March 04, 2018, 11:10:18 AM »
Nevermind the 50 hours, I'm bored after 16.  :( Will give it another go after some content upgrades. In the meantime, FTL is still fun after 151 hours...