Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 468766 times)

Pale Horse

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #11325 on: September 25, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
I just got started with DO2 this weekend. Are the companions more like a flavor thing? I noticed you can have them in any role you want. So far I have two melee, the dragon and the dwarf and one mage, the undead guy and the main guy who I'm going in a ranged thief. Pretty balanced or should I go with two mages?

Consider turning one of your melee guys into a battlemage (melee-mage-sort-of-thing).  Your enemies will have stupid amounts of abilities on all combatants.  Being able to control the battlefield through magic effects is the key to surviving, let alone winning. 
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #11326 on: October 04, 2017, 07:07:37 PM »
The Goose is Loose

Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Harmless

« Reply #11327 on: October 04, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »
the must get game of 2018
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Cind

« Reply #11328 on: October 05, 2017, 06:33:25 AM »
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. Gamecube. Like Arm, I keep starting over. This time I'm going to marry Nami and try to get one of every female cow before the end of the first year. Probably plant bananas, oranges and peaches. Because I love oranges, bananas are the moneymakers and peaches can be used in several recipes.

I have somehow ended up with two gamecubes.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11329 on: October 05, 2017, 06:39:44 AM »
Dang, you make me want to play Harvest Moon...  :-[

Except Tale of two Towns. That one sucked.

Pale Horse

« Reply #11330 on: October 05, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »
Still obsessing with CK2.

Dug up some mods.  Using CK2+ with Mythos and Mythos+, Infinite Game and a couple traits mods that are compatible with CK2+.

I've been using CK2+ options to shatter the world into independent counts and turn most rulers Pagan.  Celts dominate the Isles, Brittany and France.  Old Germanic is again worshiped in Germany and Saxony.  The Norsemen still worship Odin but with the Mythos mod, there's the chance that the heresy of "Old Jotnar" will pop up that venerates Loki.  It's mostly practiced by the giants of Nifleheim..who can now exist.

Islam no longer exists, instead being replaced by Al-something or other, the precursor faith that was worshiped before the Prophet.  Israel is ruled by Cannanites.  Persia is again dominated by Zoroastrianism.  The lands where Rome once flourished are under sway of the Hellenistic faith, with mighty Jupiter at the head.  Egypt is Kemetic.  Africa practices Il-something or other, another precursor religion.

The Isles of Orkney have a new threat to deal with:  Dragons and their mixed-blood, dragonborn mortal children.

Vampires lurk in dark places, waiting to openly worship Lucifer and turn the world to darkness.  Werewolves jostle for position and power, sometimes challenging their wolf-blood liege for their position as Alpha in duels to the death.

All this..and my favorite game so far has been playing as a custom female ruler-god who's of the Olympiad (Odin, Loki, Thor, Zeus, Aries, etc, being actual Rulers in the game, now).  She reunited the scattered counts of Ancient Greece under the banner of Sparta and went on to re-establish the Byzantine Empire, properly giving veneration to the Ancient Gods as they should (herself included).  It was then that she turned her attention to seeing if she could claim her place as the head of the Olympians..only to discover that even an immortal god was not immune to depression and all but her friend, Zeus, had committed suicide, been slain in combat, assassinated, "disappeared without a trace" or "died of natural causes."  Jupiter himself had abdicated the throne in favor of one of his demi-god offspring and now without lands of his own, she'd been moved by compassion and offered him vassalage as the Duke of Crete..which he accepted.

Breaking history is amazingly fun.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11331 on: October 05, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
That mod sounds as awesome as Prophesy of Pendor and Fall from Heaven II.

Too bad I only have 4.5 hours of free time - on a Sunday. Weekdays are worse.  :'(

(I'm back to writing, so that has a lot to do with it).

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #11332 on: October 06, 2017, 07:33:48 AM »
Playing lots of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.

Armaddict

« Reply #11333 on: October 06, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »

I enjoy playing this with friends, but after about 10 hours of solo I got kinda bored of the 'scavenge scavenge fight die'.  Every match has essentially a load of prep time for what often ends up only a short bit of action.

Edit:  That being said, if you ever want to play duo shoot me a PM.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:02:51 AM by Armaddict »
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

LucildaHunta

« Reply #11334 on: October 06, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
I just got started with DO2 this weekend. Are the companions more like a flavor thing? I noticed you can have them in any role you want. So far I have two melee, the dragon and the dwarf and one mage, the undead guy and the main guy who I'm going in a ranged thief. Pretty balanced or should I go with two mages?

Consider turning one of your melee guys into a battlemage (melee-mage-sort-of-thing).  Your enemies will have stupid amounts of abilities on all combatants.  Being able to control the battlefield through magic effects is the key to surviving, let alone winning.

Ok so this game is the ish. I have the dwarven guy as a battlemage, I gave him necromancy so he heals when he hits people. I have the mercenary guy as my long range backup healer. The split personality lady as a mage/healer and the undead guy as the damage dealer. That set up is working surprisingly well for me. The split personality lady hits surprisingly hard up close.

This game doesnít hold you hand at all and itís really easy to miss little things. Some fights you have to come back to because your party isnít leveled up enough yet. I focused on equipment, when I shouldíve been focusing on buying skill books. Once I got my crew the right skills and started using spell combinations, fights got a lot more manageable.

Iím just about to get off the island, so I decided to just go back and kill the guards for extra xp and loot so I can level up one more time and pick up a couple extra skills. Iím having a blast playing this game. I wish I wouldíve known how important the skill books were from the beginning.
Just like the white winged dove,
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Oooo,ooo, ooo

Pale Horse

« Reply #11335 on: October 06, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
Skills are King in DO2.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #11336 on: October 10, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »

I enjoy playing this with friends, but after about 10 hours of solo I got kinda bored of the 'scavenge scavenge fight die'.  Every match has essentially a load of prep time for what often ends up only a short bit of action.

Edit:  That being said, if you ever want to play duo shoot me a PM.

Solos are downright impossible to win without a heaping of luck on your side. And when you get lucky, and are like me, your heart is racing too fast and your aim goes to shit.

Also the game has a wealth of issues, being early access. It runs very poorly. But for whatever reason it is addicting as all hell. Few games can get my heart racing like Arm can. But PUBG is definitely one of them. The good games are really good.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #11337 on: October 11, 2017, 07:03:59 PM »
I find it's pretty easy to make it to top 10 alone if you crawl a lot and avoid population centers. You don't need a kitted out M249 to win. You just need a rifle and a decent optic, and maybe a shotgun or SMG in case you get stuck in a house.

Also, if your'e on the west coast, play on the Asia servers. Far fewer people drop on hotspots like School.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Hauwke

« Reply #11338 on: October 11, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »
Been playing the crap out of some Rimworld A16 lately.

Also been having a reasonably bad week until I remembered how bad my security guys week is going:
Tribal raid, he fought off a pair of spearwielders successfully but had his left eye removed.
Pirate raid soon after he recovered from that, had him on the frontlines with an LMG where he then got his left arm shot off. (now replaced with a bionic after an entire year of fighting and building one armed, plus side is he has 20 construction now.)
Toxic fallout rolls in, and I forgot to change my animals to restricted to home and my dog gets stuck out there so he goes halfway across the map and gets minor sickness from it.
That all puts him in a bit of pain, and getting insulted frequently so he had a bad mood, I set him to drink him some beer to improve his mood, only for RNJesus to slap this poor guy with Carcinoma of the Liver, which was thankfully stable but took me another year to fix.

And thats about it that I can think of.

Edit: He also got dumped for being ugly.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:40:06 PM by Hauwke »

Pale Horse

« Reply #11339 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
Been playing the crap out of some Rimworld A16 lately.

Also been having a reasonably bad week until I remembered how bad my security guys week is going:
Tribal raid, he fought off a pair of spearwielders successfully but had his left eye removed.
Pirate raid soon after he recovered from that, had him on the frontlines with an LMG where he then got his left arm shot off. (now replaced with a bionic after an entire year of fighting and building one armed, plus side is he has 20 construction now.)
Toxic fallout rolls in, and I forgot to change my animals to restricted to home and my dog gets stuck out there so he goes halfway across the map and gets minor sickness from it.
That all puts him in a bit of pain, and getting insulted frequently so he had a bad mood, I set him to drink him some beer to improve his mood, only for RNJesus to slap this poor guy with Carcinoma of the Liver, which was thankfully stable but took me another year to fix.

And thats about it that I can think of.

Edit: He also got dumped for being ugly.

Keep an eye on that bloke.  He's likely to go postal on you...and you gave him all the neat bionic-upgrade-toys with which to beat his enemies.

Hauwke

« Reply #11340 on: October 11, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
Yeah, I have a second security guy I am training up. She is perfectly healthy still other than a smokeleaf addiction she came with. Have her less equipped than my first guy, and she is using a mace for capturing guys as apposed to a longsword for full killing with.

Im working on giving her a full suit of armor for the eventually my first guy does go postal, but he so efficiant at killing the shit out of things with both guns and melee weapons its just not even funny anymore when he slices a pair of arms off in the first two swings.

My sniper on the other hand, has the jogger trait, so she could easily take him down if I absolutely had to kill him.