Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 483097 times)

Gunnerblaster

Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #11250 on: September 09, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »
I tend to rebel the lame way. For my personal Banner playthrough, I became a vassal to the Swadians (knights) as they were being pushed back to their final town, cozied up to everyone and, after helping to retake several capitals (Dhirim and Halmar), I convinced everyone to let me have them, stocked up about 800-1000 troops in each then captured a few castles until they denied me one and I rebelled.

My Claimant/Usurper playthrough is taking a similar route. Joined up with the Saranids as they were getting stomped back into the sands, had Ahmerrad given to me then, to my surprise, also had Darquba given to me after the leader booted it's previous owner. I've stocked up to about 800-1000 in each and now I'm just hanging back, watching the Nords/Rhodoks pummel the Saranids - The Saranids took Dhirim and the surrounding castles and now they're basically in a sea of enemies while I wait behind the mountains for them to get weak enough.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Pale Horse

« Reply #11251 on: September 09, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »

Hail to the Queen.

I have navigated, through the guidance of my child-saint from India, the tasks set before me and achieved Immortality.

..this should be interesting.  It's still the founding member of my dynasty.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Pale Horse

« Reply #11252 on: September 09, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
Ha!

Not only has my Immortal Queen earned everlasting life, but she's captured, pardoned and now married "Robbin of Sejney" and "Marion of Opole" after having arrested the former during a staged archery contest.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Veselka

« Reply #11253 on: September 10, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »
Any tips for people who don't really get how to play CKII well? I never seem to be able to conquer countries or raise an army from my vassals properly. Newbie tips!

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11254 on: September 10, 2017, 02:07:15 PM »
Any tips for people who don't really get how to play CKII well? I never seem to be able to conquer countries or raise an army from my vassals properly. Newbie tips!

Money helps, because MERCENARIES. They often make all the difference, especially early on and if you're like me and don't like manual combat.

I never won a war in CK2 until I started hiring mercs.

Pale Horse

« Reply #11255 on: September 10, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
If you want an "easy" way to conquer countries, start as a Pagan.  Slavic, Baltic, Tangri, Germanic, etc.  You have a special action that, once per ruler, allows you to subjugate and make another Pagan ruler your vassal.  If you have the ambition "become King/Queen of such-and-such" you can declare subjugation multiple times with a single ruler until they crown themselves as King/Queen of such-and-such.

If you're playing as one of the reformed religions, then fabricating claims on another county, duchy or kingdom is the way to quickly grow your own holdings (if you manage to conquer them, that is).  A slower way is as has already been mentioned: play politics or attack your heathen neighbors.

Knowing when to declare war is also a key understanding, and you will never be 100% certain.  You may have more men than your opponent, but they have a lot of allies to call in to their side.  You may be able to afford purchasing mercenaries to turn the tide, but if you forgot that they require a monthly payment to stick around you'll soon find yourself without a sizable part of your army.  Even without mercenaries, having an army in the field is expensive and can put you quickly into debt..which raises all sorts of other problems.

Raising men from your vassals depends on several factors.  If you are Pagan, you get squat.  Pagans respect personal strength and if you don't have the strength to fight your own battles from your own holdings, that's too bad.  Everyone else has the "obligation" laws that set how many men your vassals have to contribute to your cause when you call for them.  Fiddling with those sets of laws requires that you have high amounts of tech put into the "legalism" cultural line, under your technology menu.  Keep in mind that your vassal can only contribute as many men as law dictates and they can actually field.  Two vassals with a castle won't contribute the same amount of men if one of them has theirs upgraded with all sorts of training yards, stables, ect, but the other one only has a castle village.

Don't discount allies.  I do, all the time and they would have been very helpful a number of times.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:41:29 PM by Pale Horse »

Pale Horse

« Reply #11256 on: September 10, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
Continuing the saga of my Immortal Queen..

It's the year 999, an she's now 247 years old.  She's crowned herself Empress of Poland, Queen of Poland, Lithuania, Bohemia and Germany.  She's reformed the Slavic faith after bidding her time for 110 years (stupid game had a stable Byzantine Empire absorb one holy site and a freakishly strong and stable Finnic Pagan realm hold the other).  The last 20 years were momentous as it was the first time the High Priest had called for a Great Holy War on the Christians to the west..and it was RIGHT as the Black Death had made it's way into Europe.  Both sides initially fielded armies of tens of thousands of men and had them dwindle down to handfuls of barely a thousand..and that was just marching across the land to GET to the war zone.  We spent the next two decades slogging it out with bands of bare hundreds until the vile plague had worked it's evil and passed, then it was a handful of years of chaos until we took Germany away and added it to our Empire.

Her Empire has been very stable, suffering only one revolt from her vassals.  She's kept the nobles in line by absorbing all ducal titles for herself and keeping them at the county level, threatening and bribing dangerous factions and counts with large holdings, and the occasional assassination and fabricated reasons to revoke a title.  There has been a couple times when some of her Chiefs have grown suspicious and ill-content to have an immortal ruler, but non have had the backing to do anything about it.

Since becoming Empress, she's started giving out ducal titles and has allowed two other kings into the realm, one of which promptly requested she marry the heir to his throne.  Since the young man was of her dynasty and many, MANY degrees of separation away from direct lineage, and it had been quite some time since she had a husband or even a lover, she accepted.  It's a loveless but affable marriage and after fifteen years, still no children.

She's had cancer four times, the flu twice, camp fever once, gout once and even contracted the Black Death..but her immortality ensured her survival through it all.  She's taken a few wounds in battle but nothing severe and her treasury proudly contains the Artifacts she's had made for her Dynasty or lawfully acquired as spoils of war.

She's had three husbands, one of which died to the plague, and has had only seven children.  She favors women to warm her bed and up until her first husband threw a tantrum about it, she was lovers with her child-like immortal teacher.  She was going to have him killed for exposing the affair and pressuring her love to break up with her and leave court, but he died due to sickness too quickly.  Served him right.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11257 on: September 10, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
An immortal ruler? What kind of mod is this? :o

Pale Horse

« Reply #11258 on: September 10, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »
An immortal ruler? What kind of mod is this? :o

Not a mod.  You need "The Reaper's Due" expansion and allow "Supernatural Events" in the rules when you start a game.  There's a (very) difficult line of events that have a chance of firing that if done successfully, your ruler becomes Immortal, making them undying to old age and disease.  They can still be killed in battle or assassinated or executed, of course.

I've had the event pop up a few times with different games but this is the first time I've had it successfully happen.  And on the founding mother of my Dynasty, too!  She's 369 years old and has ruled Poland for over three centuries.  Shes a seasoned warrior, diplomat, falconer, mystic, crusader, multi-lingual and I've now spent the last twenty years dedicated to trying to get her to be a Master Seducer.  It's difficult, being homosexual, but she's made a good go at it and has something like eight different lovers, several being the wives of prominent Counts, Dukes and even the Queen of one of her vassal Kings.  A few she keeps around for their company, a few she's found work for as Commanders in her army and positions on her Council.  With one of the other expansions, through long years invested in the Tolerance tech and with the right laws you can make women the equals of men, able to hold all positions.

Pale Horse

« Reply #11259 on: September 10, 2017, 11:07:23 PM »
I feel slightly ashamed of myself.

In the Empire of Poland, for the last twenty odd years it's been "tradition" for young ladies who display certain, special connection with their female peers to receive a personal invitation from Empress Adleta the Just on their sixteenth birthday to visit or join the Imperial Court.  They are showered with gifts and introduced in high fashion and made quite welcome..and it's totally for ulterior motives on the Empresses' part.  She treats her lovers quite well, always choosing to let their affections blossom and continue their love affair. 

So far, however, she still hasn't scored the Master Seductress trait despite having fifteen simultaneous lovers.  The hell does a woman need to do to get recognition around here?  No lover of ladies is safe from her!  Dwarf, ugly, beautiful, plain, genius, imbecile, lustful, chaste, all have succumbed to the charms of the immortal Empress.  And for all this work (YOU try keeping up with a bevy of adolescent girls besotted with you), she's ONLY known as "the Court Vixen," and not the Mistress of Seduction she richly deserves!

Oh, well.  We've just won another Great Holy War against the one Finnic Kingdom that had held onto the last holy site for the Slavic faith and I have a load of titles to pass out...again.  There's about to be a horde of duchesses and countesses descending upon the newly subjugated forest people, all selected from the Empress' *cough* harem.

..Seriously, I've taken over more land during the thirty something years I've focused on bedroom antics than the near two centuries spent looking for conquest.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #11260 on: September 11, 2017, 02:11:44 AM »
Looked up CKII and it looks fun as Hell. After having played exhaustively through M&B, I found myself really hoping for more political intrigue. I was mildly disappointed at how very little there was, in M&B. CKII, on the other hand, seems really fun. Unfortunately, it's also very expensive (at least on Steam) so I'm going to have to wishlist that bad boy for a discount sales day.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11261 on: September 12, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
OMG this Dwarf Fortress world I created.

After SEVEN years of playing a fortress, half the world population is dead (not because of me, though). The goblins lost 23K(!!!) gobbos and went from over 40K pops to 17K. Other races lost tens of thousands as well. There's now so few humans and elves left that I can't even choose them for adventure mode. Only kobolds managed to increase their pop size by staying out of everything and having caves in evil mountains where no one in their right mind wants to siege.

I might have to rename this world to Armageddon  ;D

I noticed something odd with my dwarven adventurer: occasionally when she visits a site, magma will appear seemingly out of nowhere and burn the local population (haven't been able to visit friendly sites yet, so only evils were killed.) What a strange bug. Or is this a feature? My adventurer is a demigod who worships a god of war, fire and volcanoes... ...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:33:34 PM by Akaramu »

Pale Horse

« Reply #11262 on: September 12, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
My CK2 game is coming to a close.  I have about 200 years left before the in-game timer ends it all.

My Immortal Empress is now Empress of Russia, Empress of Carpathia, Empress of Poland..and I think two or three other imperial titles.  She has something like a dozen kingdoms as her vassals and more counties and duchies than I care to even think about counting.  We've eaten all of Russia, a major portion of the northern steppes, taken all of western Europe up to France away from the Christians and are slowly working our way into Italy.  The Byzantine Empire has suffered two major death blows, first from when a successful Great Holy War called in from my Slavic Great Priest vassal took away the northwestern part of their lands, and then years later when a successful Jihad took out the entire eastern half of what was left.  Almost immediately, to the day, after that Jihad my Great Priest called a Holy War on the Muslims and we swiped Armenia from the weakened Caliphate. 

The Mongol Invasion didn't get anywhere because my Empire had already been conquering the steppes and my Immortal Empress decided to turn her potential enemies into friends by marrying the son of Temujin and having his daughters marry into her royal descendants, thus stopping any western expansion into my boarders.  She did the same with the Aztec invasion in the 13th century.  She married the son of the original invading Emperor and gave him a male heir..who went on to become the new Aztec Emperor at age 9 when his father died in battle.  Her son is besotted with her and by careful manipulation of his court, she's well-liked by every one of his vassals.

She's made the Wendish Empire her primary title and has kept her vassal Kings and Queens happy by allowing them to scheme and fight among themselves for the entire period of her reign (now reaching over 500 years).  She's only had two rebellions, one by a couple of overly-ambitious counts and one duke and another by a vassal King who refused to give up land he'd somehow gained that rightfully belonged to the Empress herself.  She broke his rebellion and took the counties back, left him under House Arrest for five years..then pardoned him and gave those two counties back when she had the realization that she didn't really need them anymore, anyway, and the King was one of her more darling descendants that she'd doted on by giving him title after title after he'd done so well in absorbing two more de jure Kingdoms into the Empire.

The Finnic kingdom she's taken over so long ago turned out to be all of Russia, and she gave every county, duchy and even the kingdom it's self to her lesbian lovers...and then let them fight for dominance among themselves, secure in the knowledge that none of them were going to turn on her.  It's a tactic she's used any number of times with particularly troublesome vassals, and has made it a personal policy to seduce any of her powerful female vassals.  She's actually headed off three potentially threatening factions by turning the Queenly heads of them into her lovers.

After 500 years and through many events all of her personal stats are well into the twenties.  She's tried a dozen assassination plots, but with how stupidly broken and stacked against you the chances for success are, only a couple have fired successfully and only one has not had her name revealed.  And that's with having an intrigue skill of 25, having the Intrigue focus, putting her utterly loyal spymaster into the province the target lived in to boost success, having a plot power of 400% and being a Flamboyant Schemer...Yeah, I'm still a bit salty at the 180 the developers did with assassination plot success chances.  I understand it used to be ridiculously easy but now it's unbelievably difficult, even for a fantasy game.

Edit: I forgot to mention the peasant rebellions and human sacrifices.  The hordes and hordes of peasant rebellions..stupid amounts of peasant rebellions.  Like, 12 of them within two years while I was already at war with the Byzantines.  Rebellions that popped up in provinces that have never suffered from unrest and have a 0% rebellion chance..gah, I hate some of the programming choices Paradox made.  But, then again, I love how my Pagan, Immortal Empress has used captured peasant rebellion leaders and adventurers as human sacrifices to her patron Goddess of Death and Rebirth for prosperity in the realm and long life and good health.  And that's not even just role-play; it's actual in-game mechanics.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:53:52 PM by Pale Horse »

BadSkeelz

« Reply #11263 on: September 13, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »
In Total Warhammer, I'm on about turn 40 of a Von Carstein playthrough with the Steel and Faith Overhaul Mod. I've noticed its tweaks for the Carsteins more than other factions, mostly because I accidentally managed to summon two Isabellas (my faction leader's legendary bride). After restarting I noticed the second major change: the upkeep for vampire units (particularly Vargheists, giant batmen) seems to be bumped up considerably. I was running a 400-500 deficit for the first ten turns or so.

What this meant was that I had to blitz through Sylvania, scraping by on quest rewards and taking a settlement nearly every turn. I got lucky in catching Mannfred von Carstein, my chief rival, out in the open in my territory after he'd already gotten stomped by some Orcs. It made the unification of the Vampire Counts much easier. Now, at turn 40ish, I control all of Sylvania, Ostermark, Ostland and am working on Talabecland.

Talabecland proved surprisingly difficult to capture. It's capital city is a good distance away from my borders, 2 or 3 turns of movement, and the other towns are even further away than that. I raised a second army under OC vampire lord Serrat von Carstein to make the long march and attack from the south. While it had a pretty elite unit lineup, it wasn't the veteran cheesefest that Vlad Von Carstein can quickly put together (He can grant like 150xp to his units per turn, which meant I had rank 8 [of 10] on some units before I conquered Sylvania). But I figured I could stiffen it with a veteran vampire heroine named Melissa for some sweet necromancy. Vlad, for his part, tried to attack via Ostland to the north, but I declined to besiege the Ostland capital when I saw how full of armies it was.

This let the defenders rush that army down to Talabecland right as Serrat and Melissa arrived outside the capital. That brand new elite army was killed destroyed down to the last skeleton, with the two vampires the last to break and run. While they inflicted enough casualties on the living to prevent pursuit, and were quickly able to raise reinforcements from the newly dead, the loss appears to have left psychological scars. Melissa, formerly a respectful and deferential spellcaster (she could even Pray to help grow the population!), has gone completely Insane, forsaking leadership for melee combat ability. She's also gained the 'Stupid' trait, which seems like a really mean way of describing someone who has a 10% charge bonus. Serrat is not far behind her in the insanity department; I'm hoping he follows after her in her bloodlust. Oh, and Melissa now Hates Humans; I don't know if this displeases her Human-liking overlord Vlad.

Eventually I was able to maneuver both my armies into catching the humans in the field. Maybe it's because of Vlad's veterans, or maybe I'm just favoring who gets to engage, but the Melissa/Serrat army has been taking 500% more casualties per engagement as Talabecland is reduced.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11264 on: September 13, 2017, 08:01:52 PM »
So my dwarven adventurer found a tower and snuck in. As it turns out, the second room (on the first floor!) contained an artifact book with psionic secrets. Stole it, went someplace safe to read, became a psionic.

Among other things, I can now sneak up to people and magically bind their limbs (paralyze them) before I move in for the killing blow. I can also deliver psionic blasts, stop a creature's breathing and mind control corpses. This is going to be fun.

I'm SO going to go and store this book in the library of my retired fortress... there are 150 dwarves there who love to read. :D

Edit to add: after killing everyone and everything inside the psychic tower, my character sat down and wrote a cheerful guidebook titled 'the world without the tower'.

Sometimes I really love this game.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:40:59 PM by Akaramu »

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #11265 on: September 13, 2017, 09:57:19 PM »
Destiny 2 is good.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Pale Horse

« Reply #11266 on: September 14, 2017, 01:00:22 AM »
Divinity: Original Sin 2 comes out tomorrow!  Yay!

Riev

« Reply #11267 on: September 14, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
Destiny 2 is good.

CANNOT. WAIT. MUCH. LONGER.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

evilcabbage

« Reply #11268 on: September 15, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »
hey, you want to talk about murder, corruption and betrayal?!

good cabbagey christ this is out of left field.
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Is Friday

« Reply #11269 on: September 16, 2017, 01:17:24 AM »
re: eve online

lol.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Hauwke

« Reply #11270 on: September 16, 2017, 05:48:30 AM »
That was pretty funny. The Judge guy is definately one hell of a schemer, has the patience.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #11271 on: September 16, 2017, 08:04:32 AM »
I think it's awesome that this kind of thing is possible in an online game. The players involved might learn valuable lessons for real life... I know I would.

lordcooper

« Reply #11272 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
As is usually when non-eve players try to report on eve, that's sensationalised as hell.  Thousands of players didn't lose their stuff, some fairly expensive alliance assets were pinched.  Any personal property (meaning most of the stuff in the citadel) will have been recovered via asset safety or players jumping ship to TEST/Goons, possibly for just long enough to evac their shit.

The 1.5t figure is also a bit misleading to outsiders.  A Keepstar alone is worth 250 billion and he also managed to snap the alliance leader's (and he's a renowned shit btw) Titan which is easily another 150b if fit well.  So other than those two items we're looking at around 1.1t of mixed isk and assets, with the assets most likely a selection of super/capitals and raw resources from buyback programs.  Super/caps are gold, they're always in demand and easy to flip so people will come to you.  A huge stockpile of resources in the middle of null is just a bit of a pain in the ass to anyone who isn't an industry drone.  That's shit that needs to be laboriously hauled to a hisec tradehub if you want to sell it in a reasonable mainframe; so he's either gained a very slow trickle of income, a long period of boring grunt work, or (most likely) is gonna be spending a pretty decent chunk of the profits paying others to jump freighter the crap to Jita.

And while 1.5t is a lot of isk for an individual player, it's basically nothing for a 4000 man alliance.  Mercenary Coalition are about a quarter the size and got paid 5t for their part in World War Bee.  Hell, I'm approaching half a trillion in personal assets and there are far richer individual players than me.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

evilcabbage

« Reply #11273 on: September 16, 2017, 02:07:01 PM »
what they said is that not only did he steal their spaceports and such, he also took 1.5t in raw cash, not assets.
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Armaddict

« Reply #11274 on: September 16, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
I'm also in Eve.

Currently in The-Culture Alliance over in Fountain.  Might be hopping over to Tribute with NC. shortly.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger