Author Topic: Game Discussion Thread  (Read 401628 times)

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
Re: Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #10975 on: April 11, 2017, 04:17:58 PM »
5 games in, I'm getting better at Town of Salem. Super fun. Some thoughts...

1) Keeping death notes is super important especially if you play Sheriff or inv
2) Rolecalling is legit and done just about every game
3) Due to time limits, rolecalling isn't THAT bad because it takes skill and a good memory to keep track of who claimed what.
4) There are some strange and confusing roles that have a small chance of making it into classic games, like... transporters, and werewolves...

I wish I could play doctors more often. I love them.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #10976 on: April 11, 2017, 06:29:25 PM »
That sounds suspiciously like Mafia.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #10977 on: April 11, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »

Moe! Play town of Salem with me!  :-*

My most fun game so far, I got executioner and failed to get my target lynched, but spread so much confusion that I totally helped mafia win.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:34:19 PM by Akaramu »

Barsook

• Helper
    • The Sense of Openness
« Reply #10978 on: April 11, 2017, 06:49:47 PM »
I played Yooka-Laylee for 30 minutes, and I must say that it beats BK and BT in terms of everything but it has those memories of those games.

azuriolinist

« Reply #10979 on: April 11, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »

It is based on forum Mafia, if I remember right.

Also, another tip: Keep fake death notes if you're mafia. Use a role that's related to your own, or something simple enough to keep up. Like a sheriff. It'll help when they start going after you, as long as the notes look innocuous enough.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #10980 on: April 11, 2017, 09:36:52 PM »
I often fake claim lookout because a lot of lookout players in normal classic are BAD.  ;D

And yes it's basically mafia, but with limited turn time and more different roles.

Dan

« Reply #10981 on: April 15, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
Just spent two weeks in the country without Internet aside from weak cell service and played the hell out of Rimworld. A very loose dwarf fortress-esque colony sim. Started to bore of it after a while but it does have an editor so you can start with a bunch of stuff or make yourself a bionic super soldier from the beginning or just as easily make your beginning character a pyromanic with 50 pet cats.

Played that up until I started Salt and Sanctuary which I downloaded for the trip as well and it really reeled me in. It's basically a 2D Dark Souls with just as many shortcuts through areas and every new enemy could potentially crush you. Very difficult and killing a boss is quite satisfying.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Is Friday

« Reply #10982 on: April 16, 2017, 01:48:21 AM »
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #10983 on: April 17, 2017, 07:02:09 PM »
All the failings and flaws of Mass Effect Andromeda suddenly make sense when you realize they copy-pasted Dragon Age Inquisition and put a Mass Effect skin on it. The fetch quests, the awful interface, the rendering, the open world system. Everything.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #10984 on: April 17, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »
Hey, but DA:I had great characters and the character models / animations were much better. I loved it.

Amazing voice actors, too.

Dan

« Reply #10985 on: April 17, 2017, 08:50:29 PM »
So all the negatives of DA:I and none of the character models/animations. I enjoyed DA:I more personally but generally dig deeper into fantasy settings than Sci-fi anyway. I was mostly disappointed with Andromeda, and even avoided hyping myself up for it before playing it. A fun diversion but it never drew me in.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Malken

« Reply #10986 on: April 18, 2017, 12:16:27 PM »
I can't believe you guys have time for Armageddon or any other games with Persona 5 being out!

Also, I would highly recommend trying out GWENT, it's nothing like the Witcher 3 "in-game" version anymore - a lot more strategic and much, much more cards are available.

I managed to climb to rank 13 (out of 15) without spending any money and I also probably have 75% of the cards by now :) The rewards are super generous compared to a game like Hearthstone - You get enough "ore" to open up a new pack when you win 6 rounds (So maybe 3 games?) once a day and then another pack once you win 12 rounds. Winning 18 rounds a day is not even an hour of game-time if you play it well enough.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #10987 on: April 19, 2017, 11:37:18 AM »
I can't believe you guys have time for Armageddon or any other games with Persona 5 being out!

OMG it's out? There goes my writing time  :'(

BadSkeelz

« Reply #10988 on: April 19, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »
Blizzard has released a free, remastered version of Starcraft: Broodwar. The multiplayer still runs like something out of the 90s but at least they've added a search function for finding a specific game name. My brother got me to download it last night and immediately regretted it when I splatted his six zerglings with siege tanks.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

montarion

« Reply #10989 on: April 19, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
Quote from: BadSkeelz
immediately regretted it when I splatted his six zerglings with siege tanks.
Yeah that sounds about like every multiplayer match I played back in the day.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #10990 on: April 19, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
It's why I preferred to play the Diplomacy maps. Incidentally I also got called a cuck when Romania-Ukraine suddenly backstabbed everyone on the map after fighting off the Irish horde.

It didn't end well but it was fun.
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #10991 on: April 19, 2017, 05:54:13 PM »
It's cool, but I'm more interested in the HD remaster coming out. Not to play, really, because Broodwar is a bit too dated after playing SC2, but to watch the pros play.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #10992 on: April 19, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »
This is that Remaster. Like the Age of Kings/AoE2 remaster a few years back, they don't redo the whole game in a newer graphics engine or anything like that. It just runs fine on modern machines and supports modern resolutions. Gameplay it still looks (and plays) the same.

The in-game Battlenet is also the same and shows its age with chat and lookup functions more than the game itself.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #10993 on: April 20, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »
This is that Remaster. Like the Age of Kings/AoE2 remaster a few years back, they don't redo the whole game in a newer graphics engine or anything like that. It just runs fine on modern machines and supports modern resolutions. Gameplay it still looks (and plays) the same.

The in-game Battlenet is also the same and shows its age with chat and lookup functions more than the game itself.

No, this isn't the remaster. They're releasing a 4k remaster for money with updated anticheat and a matchmaking system.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Pale Horse

« Reply #10994 on: April 27, 2017, 12:12:27 PM »
A Youtube review of a DF "issue" that proves just how awesome this game is:

Warning: Many cats were hurt in the making of this video.  Viewer discretion advised.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #10995 on: April 27, 2017, 12:25:13 PM »
Dwarf Fortress has the BEST bugs.  I've been thinking about the game a lot lately.  I even re-read the GDB thread about the last fort I made.  Kind of itching for another game of it, but I've promised myself no video games except Armageddon and Dominions 4 until I finish this contract I'm working on.

Hauwke

« Reply #10996 on: April 27, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »
I love the adventure mode of DF, just cruising around skilling up and hacking down hordes of goblins with one stroke a steel shortsword.

Think I might start a new game though, my old one I had a full suit of steel armor from fortress guards.

Exen44

« Reply #10997 on: May 04, 2017, 06:57:34 PM »
Is anyone here actually still playing For Honor? That game got boring really quick.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #10998 on: May 04, 2017, 07:03:39 PM »
Is anyone here actually still playing For Honor? That game got boring really quick.

I'm still playing at least an hour or two a day. I look forward to when proper ranking systems go in so I can take my place as King of the Bronze Tier.

ill also fite ne1 here

Hauwke

« Reply #10999 on: May 04, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
Fite me bro