Author Topic: How Martial Arts "Works"  (Read 2266 times)

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
How Martial Arts "Works"
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »
Hey guys... due to my frustration with how some people are educated or uneducated about training to fight (with or without weapons,) I'd like to put together a document. I'm going to be including historical references, fitness know-how, etc. I'll be separating what is cultural and what really does work because of how our bodies act chemically and we as humans act psychologically.

Please hit me up with as many relevant questions about training IG in a military society or a hunter's realm. I'll use the questions to kind of direct my train of thought for the document.

Things I'd like to cover: (this post will be updated as I get more questions)
1.) Training athletics and injury risks associated.
2.) Weapon drills and why they work at building "instinctual reactions".
3.) Why tossing someone "into the fire" with no training is the worst thing in the world if you're trying to properly train someone.
4.) Cultural views on team building as it relates to war fighting.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Romy

Re: How Martial Arts "Works"
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
I'm interested in reading what you have to say about "instinctual reactions". I know a few people are going to laugh at that, but having done pencak silat as a teenager I know you really DO start to fight instinctually with faster reactions and crisps maneuvers.

A few questions:

1. Is training IG by sparring theoretically better than an actual fight with live weapons?

2. How long should one train IG before they are open to risk of soreness/fractured bones?

3. Is this going to be a FAQ or sort of like Incognito's 'assassin doc'?
Quote from: Nyr
>mount corpse

Apt.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »
I won't be answering anything that can be found out IC, unfortunately. I'll go over general things that are true to the real world of today and things that are historically documented to answer those questions, though. Most of the injury-related shit is going to be "per your discretion". The docs state that you can't train your guy unrealistically and that will tie into that.

All while keeping in mind that Zalanthas isn't quite Earth, but y'know... a good moderate compromise is probably what's desired, here.

1 & 2 I'll answer in the doc. 3: I'm not sure yet.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Uberskaapie

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »
3. Is this going to be a FAQ or sort of like Incognito's 'assassin doc'?

Not to derail, but can someone link to above? Can't find it.

path

• they fight crime
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »
This sounds awesome.
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

jstorrie

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »