A bard in Allanak?

Started by Intrepid237, January 09, 2012, 10:31:56 PM

Quote from: Dakota on January 10, 2012, 01:43:00 PM
If a Bard a la Tuluk was in Nak.. I think it'd be like this..

(John Belushi is a dwarf)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvR6d08L3nc&feature=related

<3
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Oops.

What I said is documented in a place where a user name and password is required. So I won't be elaborating! Soz.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Nyr on January 10, 2012, 01:30:34 PM
Relevant thread:

Culture and Bards (2005)

Relevant quote:

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 28, 2007, 09:12:22 AM
Quote from: GimfasallettesI was caught in the middle of a Red Desert track!  (Backup dwarf: "Thunder!")
I looked 'round and I knew there was no turning back.  ("Thunder!")
My mind raced and I thought, what could I do-li?  ("Thunder!")
and I knew there was no help, no help from Eunoli.  ("Thunder!")

Sound of the drums! Beatin' in my heart!
Them Krath-cursed gemmers like to tore me apart.
You've been - *dramatic pause* - thunderstruck!

Back up the north road, busted kanks and hit the town,
Went through to Luirs--yeah Luirs--and we had some fun.
We met some girls, some spicers who gave a good time:
Broke all the rules, played all the fools;
yeah, yeah, they, they, they blew our minds.

Said yeah, it's all right, we're diggin' a mine.
Down in "his shadow," yeah, we're doing fine.

Ahaha, so much funny.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 10, 2012, 09:12:22 AM
For the love of Tek... not everything in Allanak has to revolve around brutality, blood, and sex.

Allanak has bards.  They sing all sorts of songs, not just war ballads and raunchy tavern jingles.

I dunno. I've had Northie PCs believing in that stereotype who end up in 'Nak for one reason or another and find out it is completely true (among those bards/singing Bynners they managed to find).

I remember listening to bards in Allanak. But ... let's admit. All of them worked for Fale in one fashion or another. There is a huge amount of tradition and history behind bards in Tuluk. One of the areas of Armageddon that I never explored really. In Allanak though ... a bard is a dude or a dudette with some musical instrument, who ... sings.

Quote from: Dar on January 11, 2012, 10:51:44 PM
I remember listening to bards in Allanak. But ... let's admit. All of them worked for Fale in one fashion or another. There is a huge amount of tradition and history behind bards in Tuluk. One of the areas of Armageddon that I never explored really. In Allanak though ... a bard is a dude or a dudette with some musical instrument, who ... sings.

Bard are entertainers/storytellers in almost all parts of the Known. They're just different in Tuluk.

Think of it like actors. There are actors everywhere in the world and have been for quite some time. It's a form of entertaining. Some countries have different actor cultures. The United States happens to have Hollywood where actors become very powerful cultural icons.

Tuluk is like Hollywood.

Quote from: Yam on January 11, 2012, 11:43:54 PM

Bard are entertainers/storytellers in almost all parts of the Known. They're just different in Tuluk.

Think of it like actors. There are actors everywhere in the world and have been for quite some time. It's a form of entertaining. Some countries have different actor cultures. The United States happens to have Hollywood where actors become very powerful cultural icons.

Tuluk is like Hollywood.

And Allanak is like ... Sudan?
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

How about Mumbai vs. Islamabad?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: boog on January 12, 2012, 12:15:29 AM
Quote from: Yam on January 11, 2012, 11:43:54 PM

Tuluk is like Hollywood.

And Allanak is like ... Sudan?

Allanak is Memphis. Rhinestone cowboys, country music, and mud wrestling.

Quote from: Yam on January 12, 2012, 11:49:05 AM

As someone who lives an hour south of Memphis, I respectfully disagree.

Memphis is like the Labyrinth... with sprawling ghettos, rampant gang violence, and lots of other unsavory shit.

But if we're thinking Tennessee, then Nashville definitely works; it's the country music capital of the world, after all.

I played a bard in Allanak all of 2 RL weeks before. It was fun. But as was mentioned earlier in the thread: If you play a bard in 'nak, be prepared to play something everytime you sit down at a bar. It's a good gig, I just think it's not as viable or entertaining as it can be in Tuluk for lack of "support". You don't really have somewhere to go and hang out as a bard to commune with others of your profession besides Bard's Barrel... oh wait....
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I've watched skimpily-clad wrestling in Tuluk before. But, I think it was at the Kurac bar.

Luir's Outpost is Cowboys and mud wrestling. And Cowboys and Indians.

Allanak is much more like the bastard child of Egypt and Rome if you strip away a lot of the Classical Greek influence. Which is perfect, because that means that Allanak is like Western civilization without the civilization part...and it is supposed to be a "fallen" world.

So, in modern terms, Tuluk is like LA: the bards get all the glory, you all have to agree with the "trendy" party line (or you won't be at the next party), and the "pedestaled" leadership more or less is endogamous (effectively, they won't sleep with you).

Allanak is more like Chicago: relatively somber close-fitting clothes, Midwestern practicality, at least outward seriousness about religion, a corrupt political system, and the Outfit.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Kronibas on January 12, 2012, 02:18:48 PM

As someone who lives an hour south of Memphis, I respectfully disagree.

Memphis is like the Labyrinth... with sprawling ghettos, rampant gang violence, and lots of other unsavory shit.

But if we're thinking Tennessee, then Nashville definitely works; it's the country music capital of the world, after all.

Fuck, yeah. I meant Nashville.

Quote from: Yam on January 09, 2012, 11:22:57 PM
Allanak bards should sing about blood, guts, and glory. And sex. Open raunchy sex.

So basically hair bands.

This is my next character concept now.... ladies. :-*

There -was- a bard NPC in Allanak, at one point in time...

Needless to say, it didn't end well for him.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

The Bard's Barrel tavern was owned by an actual NPC bard who codedly performed music and everything. There have been (and still are) a number of other NPC bards in Allanak. NPC and PC bards can do just fine in Allanak. Bardic performance has often been used in politics, just like it is in Tuluk--only less subtle. Players don't generally represent this aspect of Allanak very well, so it's not really the full picture to just extrapolate from player experience or effort.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"