Background Length?

Started by Fedaykin, October 12, 2002, 10:58:05 AM

I had planned to redo my background today but I can't remember how many lines/characters we can use for it, so if an imm or someone else could tell me, I'd apprecaite it :)
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

I could be wrong, but I think that if you're e-mailing your new background to the mud to change it, then you can have it as long as you want (I think).  The only reason you can't write one that long at creation is the character creator thing can't handle it (I think).  That's why they tell you to write an abridged version of your background at first, and e-mail the rest to the mud if it's really long, then they change it right away.  (remember: I think)

I just got a chunk added to my background, and it's pretty long now.  I would bet a dollar that it wouldn't fit if I was creating my character right now.

Appreciate it, thanks :)
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

I think there actually is a limit to how long the background field can be, but perhaps that's only on NPC's.  Either way, I don't know precisely what that limit is, heh.  The short answer is, it's better to send in everything you want, and if it turns out to be too long we (you +/- staff) can edit it down -- but we'll still keep the full background on file.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

I am in dire need of doing this myself, but how should updated background, (or for that matter items, and such) be submitted? Word document, word pad, or just type it into the email?

Just curious

Quote from: "X"I am in dire need of doing this myself, but how should updated background, (or for that matter items, and such) be submitted? Word document, word pad, or just type it into the email?

I would either include it in the body of the email or send it as an attached text file.  Attachments in MS Word are generally discouraged simply because they can't be opened efficiently except on a Windows machine.
ssues are issues.  People are people.  Issues should be addressed, people should be loved. - John W. Frye

What is the expectation from the staff on updating backgrounds? I have never done it myself simply because I did not think that it mattered. But I can see the usefullness of an updated for longer lived characters.