Author Topic: American Political Thread  (Read 159004 times)

KankWhisperer

Re: American Political Thread
« Reply #3175 on: September 25, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »
Since I am not wealthy enough for Romney to care, I am voting Obama.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3176 on: September 25, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
Obamacare is several steps in the right direction.

Ending the war in Iraq was a good thing.

Getting Osama bin Laden was a good thing.

The stimulus saved many companies/jobs.

The economy is recovering, even if slower than hoped.

DADT repeal is a step in the right direction.

Passed legislature and funded programs to aid our military veterans.

Knowing what I know now, no I would not change my 2008 vote.  Despite what the news may say (neither side really improves ratings by pushing positive stories), Obama achieved quite a bit in his first term, despite Republican opposition that put his failure as their #1 priority, trumping the poor, the economy, veterans, and even the budget/deficit.

Kismetic

« Reply #3177 on: September 25, 2012, 03:05:46 PM »
I hate to tell you this, buddy, but all the Democrats are posting in the Republican thread, and it's getting hot in therrre.
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3178 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:05 PM »
It's really just a "politics" thread that happened to have started during the GOP primary season.

Orin

« Reply #3179 on: September 25, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »
I think people overestimate how much power the President has.  If Congress isn't willing to work with the President (whoever it is), than we are at a roadblock.  For the last few years, most of his agenda has been blocked -- is it really his fault if our representatives have done this? I say no, he's done his best under the circumstances.  Given how little middle ground there is nowadays in the USA, and how polarized our country is in general, even what he was able to accomplish is amazing.

I wouldn't go back and change my vote, nor more than I would think to vote for Romney this time around.  fwiw I'm a swing voter and don't march with party lines, I vote for whoever best represents me.

And it sure as hell isn't Mitt Romney and his cronies.
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #3180 on: September 25, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
You want to be fair?  Cool!   Now you have to get along all in one thread like you were all doing before!  :)

Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Schrodingers Cat

« Reply #3181 on: September 25, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »
Thank you Nyr. This is much better than before.

musashi

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3182 on: September 25, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »
Didn't David Brooks already admit on air that his candidate "isn't going to win any popularity contests ... he's the least popular candidate in history"?

*facepalm*

I'm not an Obama fanboi, but at the presidential level you basically vote on the lesser of two evils. Which means Obama. As for whether or not I'm personally better off now than 4 years ago? lolololol

Dude, Obama changed the GI bill to fully cover the costs of college right as I started school. College past the first semester was 100% free for me. And now that I graduated, I've landed a job as a business development director for a CRO. Yeah, I'm doing ok under Obama. So is all of Wall Street and the greater business community at large, including the Koch Brothers and Sheldon Adelson.

In the long game, even if you're rich, a vote for Romney is a vote against your economic interests. You're voting to skin the sheep instead of continuing to fleece it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:36:04 PM by musashi »
Quote from: i can haz mantis
Random Thought: Don't argue against Musasushi because.... really... you lose.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Musashi, I hate it when you're right. ;)
Quote from: Nyr
I redacted the whole redacted.

timb

« Reply #3183 on: September 25, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
So why didn't you run then, Mr. Ralph? http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81649.html

boog

« Reply #3184 on: September 25, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
jstorrie is always right. Okay, okay. Let's get this show back on the road...

Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Jingo

« Reply #3185 on: September 25, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
Also would totally take Madonna over any modern popstar.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3186 on: September 25, 2012, 10:00:12 PM »
b) it is not misogynist to think that a woman is unattractive, but it is very much misogynist to say so, out loud, where people can hear you
No. No it isn't.

Why is it not misogynist to demean a woman based on her not matching up to an artificially constructed set of beauty norms, which are themselves sexist and patriarchal in nature?

Is it because you guys refuse to admit that your behavior might be inappropriate?

Look, we all said 'gay' in the 90s and we all at some point had to admit to ourselves that that was a bad thing. I know you guys are capable of making another leap here.

Your argument is that every insult hurled at a woman only helps to slow the advancement of womens rights and equality? Regardless of the context of that insult, the reasoning behind it?

I'd suggest you don't start combing out the bad with the finest toothed comb you've got first. Trying to make every single person feel accountable for every passing thing they said in jest that might perpetuate sexism will probably be both fruitless and enraging.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:03:22 PM by RogueGunslinger »

MeTekillot

« Reply #3187 on: September 25, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
there should be a gif with the energizer slogan "and it just keeps going and going and going" except of having the energizer bunny it has a really displeased internet user pounding away at a keyboard and then it cuts to a really weary-eyed man then it cuts to a screen where a mouse-cursor hovers over a button that says "ban for 7 days" and then it loops again.
we are here to hack motherfuckers up with bone swords,

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #3188 on: September 25, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »
Yeah, keep posting in this thread while I'm trying to ban and split it away, that's a good way to not get banned so that I can just get it done!
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Synthesis

« Reply #3189 on: September 25, 2012, 10:03:31 PM »
lol artificially constructed beauty norms

Okay man, if you want to go down that rabbit hole, every opinion you could possibly hold about a person can be reinterpreted as some sort of artificially constructed terrible societal construct.  I for one think we should really drop our over-valuation of competent, reasonable people.  I mean, competence and reasonableness are just societally-constructed behavioral norms that have been repressing fanatics and slackers for centuries!

Where's the love for layabouts and half-wits?  For the lazy and irrational?

a) Okay, it's like saying I hate all black people because I think Michael Vick is a douchebag.  How about dem apples?
b) No, it's not misogynistic.  Sure, it makes you an asshole, but not misogynistic.

Judgements about women's bodies are much more than 'idle opinion(s) on aesthetics'. These judgements have real, negative effects on real human beings.

Why does it make you an asshole, if not for the misogyny? What's wrong about it, if it isn't the sexism?

Hurting someone's feelings doesn't mean you're discriminating against them, or that you even necessarily hate them, much less the entire gender they belong to.  It's just an individual act of intentionally hurting someone's feelings, and that makes you an asshole.  That's what's wrong* about it, for fuck's sake.

For example, if I called Michael Vick a douchebag to his face, it would make me an asshole.  It doesn't make me a racist.  It means I don't like the way he treats animals.  If I call a woman ugly to her face, I'm an asshole.  It doesn't make me a misogynist.  It means I don't find her visually appealing.  Both are just idle opinions.

Once again, you can argue whether a particular opinion is "good" in some other sense, in terms of outcomes or harm, or whatever...but calling it misogynistic is philosophically lazy.  It's putting a behavior or opinion into some generic "bad" category that it doesn't quite fit in, in an attempt to win the rhetorical argument without building a solid case against it.  So go ahead and build your case for beauty norms or whatever (see above), but don't be lazy and resort to claims of misogyny where none exists.

*where "wrong" is loosely defined as whatever the hell our society's general standards for such things are
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #3190 on: September 25, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »
Locked.  Nevermind; you guys are assholes and I don't feel like splitting a thread when you can't follow simple instructions.