Fight the Lag! - with metrics

Started by Jeshin, November 17, 2011, 09:00:31 AM

After Wedi's post and Nyr's reply this is the official. Unbearable lag thread. Whenever encountered with what you consider to be game affecting lag or an unintentional DC please include the following

1) PST/EST/GMT of the event or just say at the time of posting
2) IG time - early morning etc etc
3) On a scale of 1-10 how bad the lag is. 1 being one or two seconds sporadically, 5 being several seconds over a long peiod, and 10 being a full disconnect [not by the server].

We can fight lag, with data!

1) Last night, CST, late evening.
2) Can't recall the IG time.
3) 10. I had a few full disconnects and eventually just gave up went LD, even though I was just 2-3 rooms from a quit room. Moving from point A to point B was like molasses.

1) This morning, CST, 730-ish.
2) IG time ... morning-ish.
3) 2. Regular, noticeable, short lag. I haven't experienced lag on Arm in a very long time, so even this small amount stands out to me.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I bumped up a thread on the IDB to review the issue with the VPS host.  We'll also see if ginka is causing some issues itself internally (seems unlikely, I've noted some lag in arm.org related tools).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

1.  Last night.  Things were running okay until ~11:30pm CST.
2.  I don't see how IG time could possibly be helpful.  It lasted from mid-day until I managed to log off the next IG day.
3.  9.  I didn't get DC'd, but the game would only respond to commands on 2-3 minute intervals.

It was bad on several occasions two days ago, too, but I don't remember the times.

November 17, 2011, 11:20:50 AM #4 Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:25:15 AM by stark
The *lagmonster* Mangles you with its stupefyingly syrupy-slow sloth spell.
You watch helplessly as your clanmates try to regrasp reality by reconnecting repeatedly.
Strangers pass out using the unseen ways during long bouts of unnatural stillness.
Intimate situations become unbearably awkward as you begin to mount someone who seems to no longer be there.
The evil-carru defies the unnatural stillness despite the odds.

Those were word problem answers.
Seriously though:
1. I think the lag has been around the last few days CST
2. Any of the times of day, I generally play from 7am CST to after midnight CST
3. I've disconnected twice thinking the MUD was locked up because of lack of movements.
What kind of jerkoff shakes a tent in the dark? Go out there and see who or what that is.

Some trouble here as well.  So much lag last night, I gave up trying to play around 7PM MST.

1. The lag has been around the last few days MST
2. Any of the times of day, I generally play from 9am MST to 10PM MST
3. I've been disconnected numerous (more than 10) times over the last few days.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

Shouldn't you all be fighting the lag with, you know, traceroutes?

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 17, 2011, 03:20:13 PM

The lag is on the game's side.  So... traceroute doesn't do much to help.

Still lagged today when I was on at 11ish am pst
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Old Kank on November 17, 2011, 03:34:36 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 17, 2011, 03:20:13 PM

The lag is on the game's side.  So... traceroute doesn't do much to help.

While it is a possibility that it is something else, it's also important to note that traceroute would be a viable testing tool to either confirm or deny that fact.

We're looking into the matter.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Also, if you are finding that you are having trouble connecting, like every time you point your client to Armageddon it lags, please send a mail to morgenes (at) armageddon.org and cc mud (at) armageddon.org.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I've had consistent lag issues from 7-11PM PST for the last three days straight, along with lag connectivity client-side.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

November 18, 2011, 01:25:48 AM #12 Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:30:22 AM by Wolfsong
1. began 1:21 AM EST, seems ongoing (Edit: Seemed to stop sometime around 2:00-2:15 AM EST?)
2. happened during the early morning tick, possibly on the turnover from dawn to early morning?
3. I originally pegged it at around 6 on the bad scale, but right now I'd almost put it more about 8-9.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

November 18, 2011, 01:25:59 AM #13 Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:27:55 AM by Celest
1:24 AM EST, Nov 18. Lag is about a 7 or 8 right now. My screen has been still for a good 20-30 seconds, and it crops up every few minutes or so, with "aftershocks" of 5s of lag every 10-15 seconds between the big spikes.

Quote from: Celest on November 18, 2011, 01:25:59 AM
1:24 AM EST, Nov 18. Lag is about a 7 or 8 right now. My screen has been still for a good 20-30 seconds, and it crops up every few minutes or so, with "aftershocks" of 5s of lag every 10-15 seconds between the big spikes.

Confirmed on my end too, my internet speed is fine.
1:32 AM EST, early morning in game right now. Definite lag.

Yup. definite crazy lag. Starting at about 1:00am EST, got really, really bad.

November 18, 2011, 01:40:45 AM #16 Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:47:46 AM by solera
24 hrs ago.  Increasing amounts of 20 sec + .  Seemed to take half the morning to get across town.
(was hoping to hitch to someone without lag to take me there)

Today. Yep. Still lagging each step of the load in.  Try again tomorrow.

Another series of pretty bad spikes at 1:40 EST :(

Yar. Bad lag spikes started around 1:00 am EST.

Quote from: Jeshin on November 17, 2011, 09:00:31 AM
After Wedi's post and Nyr's reply this is the official. Unbearable lag thread. Whenever encountered with what you consider to be game affecting lag or an unintentional DC please include the following

1) PST/EST/GMT of the event or just say at the time of posting
2) IG time - early morning etc etc
3) On a scale of 1-10 how bad the lag is. 1 being one or two seconds sporadically, 5 being several seconds over a long peiod, and 10 being a full disconnect [not by the server].

We can fight lag, with data!

1) 12:47 CST
2) High Sun
3) Pretty damn bad. I input a command at 12:45:10 and it finally returned to me at 12:46:33 - That's a 1 minute 23 second lag.

It also lagged getting the mantis to come up. For logging in. Not dying. Although that probably also lags.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Another at 1:50. I think whenever time "rolls over" an hour, it causes a huge lag spike. It seems to fit the intervals.

November 18, 2011, 01:54:40 AM #21 Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:16:45 AM by Old Kank
I'm getting the same lag as everyone else.

pinging ginka gives me:
Ping statistics for 209.159.155.236
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 90ms, Maximum = 91ms, Average = 90ms.

tracert didn't show much.  Most of my hops average 60-90ms, but a couple servers 3-4 hops away from ginka occasionally give me ~150-200ms.  These two:
ae1d0.mcr1.nyc-ny.us.xo.net

Edit:  It's now 1:15 CST and the lag seems to have gone away.

Time:  2:32pm EST
Duration: About 5-10 seconds of no response from game after typing command.

Ping went through no timeouts... about 50ms average.

Tracert completed fine, no lag on trace.

A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on November 18, 2011, 02:32:49 PM
Time:  2:32pm EST
Duration: About 5-10 seconds of no response from game after typing command.

Ping went through no timeouts... about 50ms average.

Tracert completed fine, no lag on trace.

Experienced the same lag on the request tool, on my end, exactly one hour later (four mins from time posted).
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Yeah, actually three of us were online trying to talk about important stuff, so we are very clear on the timestamps on this latest spike.  Got some good data to look at at least to rule out some things, I hope.