Cats?

Started by RogueGunslinger, August 22, 2011, 01:30:22 AM

I am not the biggest fan of walking into a room and seeing a bird, a snake, some kind of beetle or something else sitting there like a decoration.  People having hawks on shoulders or lizards or snakes ect..

I rarely see anyone doing anything with these things beyond the occasional "emote look at me, I have insert animal here on my shoulder!" emote about feeding it a bit of meat or something.

I like the idea of them, just not how they are often applied in-game :/

You know honestly I dont see why Arm wouldnt have some sort of creature similar to the domestic cat....They are serious desert survivors all out domestic cats stems from a wild desert breed in Eygpt and they thrived in cities because, where there is people, there is grain, where there is grain, there are rats....and we certainly have rats running around in Arm. I'm not sure if this cats should/would me tame (or semi tame) as our own Domestic feline but but they could certainly thrive in our game setting. Wild cats also get about 80% of there water intake from blood of downed prey. It would actually make them a much more affordable pet. Cats will also hunt whether they need food or not. They just like to kill things.  ;D
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

The common housecat of Zalanthas, or Felinus Domesticus Zalanthas, weighs an average of 30 pounds and is one foot tall at the shoulder.  Six legs and a prehensile tail combine with superior night vision and venom-sacs along the jawline allow it to hunt prey much larger than itself.  A set of inner jaws assist in goring and devouring prey at a much faster rate than other predators, and it has been known to gorge itself on nearly 75% of its own weight in meat.

In addition to its skills in hunting and scavenging, the Zalanthan feline has been clocked at a maximum running speed of over 40 mph for short bursts and can leap up to a maximum of 20 feet with a running start.  In cities, they gravitate to and even mimic humanoids, who keep them as pets and watchcats for their homes.  Territorial to the extreme, they form packs in the wild and can become a dangerous infestation even along the silt coasts, hunting almost anything in their path.

Their colorations tend to reflect the hues of the desert area they live in, ranging from greys and beiges to deep reds and blacks.  Allegedly, a rare version of saltcat has been accounted by travelers in the eastern reaches of the Salt Flats with shades of light grey and ivory, but this has yet to be substantiated.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Oh gosh, Intrepid still owns me.

Quote from: Delirium on March 02, 2012, 11:48:19 AM
Oh gosh, Intrepid still owns me.

Yeah...I don't tend to change my sig much.

Quote from: Intrepid on March 02, 2012, 11:38:07 AM
The common housecat of Zalanthas, or Felinus Domesticus Zalanthas, weighs an average of 30 pounds and is one foot tall at the shoulder.  Six legs and a prehensile tail combine with superior night vision and venom-sacs along the jawline allow it to hunt prey much larger than itself.  A set of inner jaws assist in goring and devouring prey at a much faster rate than other predators, and it has been known to gorge itself on nearly 75% of its own weight in meat.

In addition to its skills in hunting and scavenging, the Zalanthan feline has been clocked at a maximum running speed of over 40 mph for short bursts and can leap up to a maximum of 20 feet with a running start.  In cities, they gravitate to and even mimic humanoids, who keep them as pets and watchcats for their homes.  Territorial to the extreme, they form packs in the wild and can become a dangerous infestation even along the silt coasts, hunting almost anything in their path.

Their colorations tend to reflect the hues of the desert area they live in, ranging from greys and beiges to deep reds and blacks.  Allegedly, a rare version of saltcat has been accounted by travelers in the eastern reaches of the Salt Flats with shades of light grey and ivory, but this has yet to be substantiated.

I love everything except the six legs. I think that over complicates things a little, simple is better for great agility and running speed derived from pure muscle. Plus it just weirds me out.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

yeah, it does seem ungainly.

It was mainly a reference to a Dark Sun feline called a Kirre, if I remember right.  A horned feline great cat.  But yeah, I suppose it doesn't make a lot of sense for the additional legs, does it?

As for skinning products:

- 2 tiny pink glands: makes a paralytic poison.
- cat's eye: Viqrol spell component
- a mass of stringy guts: instrument strings, netting, basket fodder
- teeth: ornamentation, of course.
- fur/hide: element-proof leather for small items like pouches, gourds, etc.

i don't know about paralytic, man.

just make them like the honey badger.

Yeah - Substitute 'paralytic' with blood burn. More manageable.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Cats should be vNPCs if anything, like many other animals we would never give a shit about. Jesus. It's a cat. A cat in Zalanthalas would be about as useful as a rat.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Given there are a pissload of disease carrying rats everywhere... one would think cats would be quite useful?
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I'd almost consider snakes, if they had the intelligence of small domestic canines/felines.  But... They don't.

Maybe something like a ferret... Or maybe some other type of mid-sized medium intelligence lizard like one of those what'cha'call'em dragon lizards.

Quote from: CravenMadness on March 02, 2012, 11:47:32 PM
I'd almost consider snakes, if they had the intelligence of small domestic canines/felines.  But... They don't.

Maybe something like a ferret... Or maybe some other type of mid-sized medium intelligence lizard like one of those what'cha'call'em dragon lizards.

Tegus?
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Nice, yea, I was actually thinking of komodo dragons.  But the Tengu looks a lot more to what I was imagining.  Tengu is a more reasonable size too, like 3-4 feet long.

Quote from: Voular on March 02, 2012, 11:33:22 PM
Cats should be vNPCs if anything, like many other animals we would never give a shit about. Jesus. It's a cat. A cat in Zalanthalas would be about as useful as a rat.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the two major cities should be crawling with coded npcs to hunt; some hidden, some visible.  Snakes, spiders, scorpions, lizards, cats, rodents, slugs, etc.  Maybe even have them hunt each other in citywide ecosystem.  It would make scavenging easier.

Obviously, they would be limited to certain areas.  But when you think about it, the Rinth and the Commoner's Quarter are filthy and ill-maintained.  They should be teeming with critters.

Yes! I could use more things to practice backstab on.

:P

But honestly I agree. More critters in the cities(and out of them, for gods sake) would be great. I hate going on a hunt and not finding a single thing to kill.

Maybe a bump to the current critters regen rate is in order. That way that one douchebag who want to kill everything in the known doesn't ruin it for everyone else.

*toescuff*

Sorry...

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 03, 2012, 10:40:28 AM
That way that one douchebag who want to kill everything in the known doesn't ruin it for everyone else.

Yes, things I hope for in 2.Arm:

• Animals produce significant amounts of food. (requires revamp of the crafting system)
  • That food has significant weight (requires a revamp of all the other weights)
  • Food goes bad. Raw food goes bad quickly, cooked food in a while, and preserved food eventually.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I hope Arm 2 has devils which are cute and awesome like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRyFQNmb1Q4

They make awesome pets that would eat your face off at night. Very Zalanthan.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

That IC info burned a hole right through my eyes.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on March 04, 2012, 07:17:11 PM
That IC info burned a hole right through my eyes.

If you're referring to my Mutual of Ohama's Wild Kingdom disseration on Zalanthan cats, I was just making it up. ;)  If you're not, nevermind.