Cats?

Started by RogueGunslinger, August 22, 2011, 01:30:22 AM

Do we have cats in Zalanthas? Are they common?

Quirri

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quirri are the most feline creatures in the Known. They are also sometimes domesticated. Otherwise, no, no cats.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → b a

I really wish Arm had dogs.

Just so I could call people dogs.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Kiyet Lion : Large and powerfully-built, kiyet are well known for their tawny, heavily-spotted fur and long, sharp claws. Kiyet, or lions, typically inhabit the reaches of the Barrier Range mountains. They are unusually social compared to other felines of Zalanthas, living in packs consisiting of females, offspring and few adult males. Kiyet are known to be remarkable hunters as they work in a group. Their hide is prized for its short, velvety fur and suppleness when tanned as well as the prestige of having successfully taken down such a dangerous predator.

Kalich : About waist-high to a human and with a wiry physique, these sand cats are strictly found in craggy, sandstone cliffs and ravines. Their fur is dense, shorter then the average feline on Zalanthas and ranges in shades of dusky red, yellow-grey, and earthy brown. Most distinctive about kalich are their elogated tails that give them exceptional balance; large, triangular ears; and tufts of fur that cover and shield their paws from hot surfaces. Kalich are known to be solitary hunters, surviving off small desert game and insects.

Quirri : These lithe black felines are generally found in the tablelands of the northwest. Their pelts are prized for their luxurious, soft fur. Occasionally, one has been tamed to serve as an exotic pet, but they are often unpredictable, and may lash out at an owner.

Rantarri : This ferocious man-sized predator is known for its luxuriously spotted pelt, stealthy nature, and powerful pounce, using its lethal claws and teeth to tear into its prone target. It mainly feeds on game animals, though attacks on humanoids have been reported. Stories tell of elusive desert tribes who worship this powerful feline, and of others who hunt it for its claws and naturally camouflaging fur.

Meow!

Quote from: Jingo on August 22, 2011, 01:51:43 AM

Gortok : A common type of canine in the northlands, the gortok are well-known as wild predatory scavengers with a strong pack mentality. They are not known for particular intelligence or cleanliness, but are quite hardy, capable of loping great distances after their slowly tiring prey before moving in with their vise-like jaws. Their hides often become an all but useless mass of scar tissue due to the constant fighting amongst themselves or the wounds recieved during a hunt.

Quote from: Jingo on August 22, 2011, 01:51:43 AM

Calling someone a tok or a tok-whore has worked wonders for me... Gor-tok = closest thing you have to it.
Czar of City Elves.

What about gwoshi? I've always thought of them as resembling huge lions.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Always saw em as a cross between gorilla + lions.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

Bears with manes myself.  Maybe I need to review that mdesc.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I agree, bears mixed with lions is how I imagine them.

Only with much longer hair than either.

By design (i.e., on purpose) there are not really any "cats" or "dogs" in Zalanthas. There are wild animals who would like to eat your face off, though.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Gortoks are like a mixture of hyenas and dogs to me.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Talia on August 22, 2011, 11:24:27 AM
By design (i.e., on purpose) there are not really any "cats" or "dogs" in Zalanthas. There are wild animals who would like to eat your face off, though.

True, but there has been at least one PC with a pet quirri NPC that followed him around. It was coded like a guard an was really neat.

Then someone killed it in the Gaj and Gladiator to grief them. Heh

You probably have noticed we don't have NPCs like that anymore. "By design."
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

True, but it's nice to reminisce on it.  I remember when I was playing a certain Tor bastard walking around with the Silver Maned Gortok, but it was really old so I think it was put to rest after that character.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

I don't understand the reluctance to have "cats" or "dogs" when we have "rats" and "snakes" and "spoons" and "humans".  Pet quirri and gortoks just added flavor to the game.

Quote from: Old Kank on August 22, 2011, 01:31:58 PM
I don't understand the reluctance to have "cats" or "dogs" when we have "rats" and "snakes" and "spoons" and "humans".  Pet quirri and gortoks just added flavor to the game.

We have also taken out pet quirri and gortoks to add to the flavor of the game.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I always imagine gwoshi as really big lhasa apsos.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Nao on August 22, 2011, 11:52:59 AM
Gortoks are like a mixture of hyenas and dogs to me.

My imagine of gwoshi:

Bear shaped and maned, yet with strangely humanoid faces.

I, too, take things out of an equation, to give it more fullness, and make it appear richer.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Zalanthas is harsh, gritty, and a fantasy place. People having domesticated dogs is not something that 'adds' to this to me. Gortok are wild, feral, hideous things that do not domesticate well. Kurtoks were removed from the game because they were not in line with documentation and added nothing but Yet Another Unique OOC Status Symbol that ICly would have dozens of repercussions that were not roleplayed out by many who had them: feeding it, training it, keeping it in check, a place to keep it, people to keep it entertained, cleaning it, caring for it, cleaning up its messes... by and large PCs would just parade them about taverns/whatnot, or they would just keep them locked up in their clan compounds never to be seen.

There are plenty of pet objects in game these days and still many of them are ignored and only bought because they 'look cool.' Very few peoples' hawks poop on their shoulders, cause a ruckus, fly away, cry out and reveal their position while hunting, or are used as anything other than shoulder/apartment ornaments, never referenced with emotes except when it's fun and convenient to.

tl;dr I don't want to see happy, fluffy, frilly shit any more than I have to, and that should be with the nobility alone - people who have the means to take care of them - and the few rare exceptions that fit that bill. I don't want to see puppies and kitties in my Zalanthas.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → b a

My contribution:

I <3 kitties

Quote from: Wasteland Raider on August 22, 2011, 05:15:57 PM
Zalanthas is harsh, gritty, and a fantasy place. People having domesticated dogs is not something that 'adds' to this to me. Gortok are wild, feral, hideous things that do not domesticate well. Kurtoks were removed from the game because they were not in line with documentation and added nothing but Yet Another Unique OOC Status Symbol that ICly would have dozens of repercussions that were not roleplayed out by many who had them: feeding it, training it, keeping it in check, a place to keep it, people to keep it entertained, cleaning it, caring for it, cleaning up its messes... by and large PCs would just parade them about taverns/whatnot, or they would just keep them locked up in their clan compounds never to be seen.

There are plenty of pet objects in game these days and still many of them are ignored and only bought because they 'look cool.' Very few peoples' hawks poop on their shoulders, cause a ruckus, fly away, cry out and reveal their position while hunting, or are used as anything other than shoulder/apartment ornaments, never referenced with emotes except when it's fun and convenient to.

tl;dr I don't want to see happy, fluffy, frilly shit any more than I have to, and that should be with the nobility alone - people who have the means to take care of them - and the few rare exceptions that fit that bill. I don't want to see puppies and kitties in my Zalanthas.

"I WAS RAISED IN THE WILD BY A PACK OF GORTOK. GRAWRRRR."
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.