Depressing Death?

Started by Recharge, July 29, 2011, 08:58:43 PM

Now I know everyone has a story of some epic character of theirs that has died in such a way to just erk you. I mean no offence to anyone who's killed me in the past and reserve no hatred to anyone. Just curious to hear peoples stories.
Mine,
During the Copper War had a indi hunter named Kharne, probably my favourite pc ever. Lived long enough to aquire tribal, north and south accents. While showing off to some locals in the Gaj a templar came up and offered me a job. Asked me to infiltrate the northern army and learn whatever I could, then report back to him with my findings. Upon joining up with the Tuluki's I was hired on as a scout, it was my duty to follow enemy troop positions, dangerous local wildlife (meks), and generally scout the landscape. I talked with the local soldiers, learned whatever I could of their movements, fed them false enemy troop sightings once or twice. About a rl week of this goes on before Im contacted by the templar who hired me, asking for results so I left to go find the Nakki camp. Upon arriving at the camp theres no sign of the templar who hired me, a halfgiant telling me to drop my weapons and sit on the ground, and a new templar that Ive never seen before watching me. I tried explaining myself but just get shouted at and promptly killed.
Had to take a break from the game after that.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

Ouch.

Mine was probably getting Delerak'd a room away from Tuluk's Gates, for a somewhat long-lived bard I had at the time.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

too early. i really liked that character and the death was retarded.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

When playing a burglar, never emergency-quit in the nearest apartment.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on July 29, 2011, 09:21:42 PM
When playing a burglar, never emergency-quit in the nearest apartment.

oooh. tell us in a year mkay?
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

July 29, 2011, 09:36:41 PM #5 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:39:44 PM by CravenMadness
Sharak.

*edited*

Of course, if I'd have gotten a half a chance.. I'd have probably managed to get free again and who knows -how- things may've turned out...

*edit* self.
apparently some things are better left long dead.  *shrug*

Too many annoying and depressing deaths to name.  Here's a few...

Put to sleep and killed by some unknown magicker, for no reason that I know of.  I think it was an enemy of my tribe, though.

Another time with a fairly long-lived character, a Mek just walks in and one-hit insta-kills me out of the blue while travelling.  Seemed like there was almost no pause at all.

Countless other times where I've been insta-killed by no-lag NPC's and a few times by groups of NPC creatures that should have really been fighting each other instead of waiting for me to come along.  It use to happen in the grasslands a lot, but got fixed years ago I believe, so I thought this was a thing of the past, but this just happened recently... a group of stuff like spiders, scrab, silt-flyers all came in from some gathering and killed me very quickly.  I'm assuming there wasn't any reason for this.  *shrug*

I've posted this one before - playfully threw a riding crop at someone in clan barracks and got ganked by my own clan NPC's.

Many others I can't remember...

July 29, 2011, 10:38:40 PM #7 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:41:55 PM by Gunnerblaster
Having a good-intentioned, non-malice bar fight in Luirs.

Guards are "no mercy, no arrest, no excuse" there.

A good, future thing to keep in mind when entering that place - 'nosave combat on'. That way, when someone accidentally punches you ("for real") in a bar fight, you don't attack back, hence incriminating yourself for all of the guards to come raining death down upon you.

It was a pretty pathetic and disappointing way to wrap up 2 years of game play effort.

Afterwards, I've never had an interest in ARM the same way I used to.

P.S. - It was the no-lag NPC's that ended up killing me, after I had managed to flee several areas away from the zone of incrimination. Yeah. Just consider yourself dead the instant the code fucks you over, in Luirs.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

July 29, 2011, 11:33:18 PM #8 Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:42:53 PM by number13
Quote from: CravenMadness on July 29, 2011, 09:36:41 PM
Kind of anti-climactic for a (spoiler) who'd escaped two city-states, had begun (spoiler) to (spoiler).. though I heard (spoiler) because of that death.

I didn't know there were any actual PC (spoilers) or that they were capable of (spoiler) or (spoiler). Nor did I know that (spoiler) ever changed or what the capability might have been. So thanks for that.

I have plenty of depressing deaths.  The one I'll go with is a dwarf, with whom I dutifully collected enough coins for a full set of armor, a mount, and the required three small to join the Byn. I then dragged that kank all the way to Tuluk, basically walking it most of the way because my ride skill wasn't going to get me there before the PC Sarge logged off for the night.

Made it just in time, joined the Byn, and the troopers and runners and such went off to celebrate something or other in a tavern.  This being the Byn, I  decided to start a bar brawl -- unaware that this apparently rough-n-tumble bar wasn't brawl safe.  But, because this was in the days before nosave arrest was implemented, my drunken dwarf ended up tanking Tuluki soliders for one or two solid minutes, while trying to flee but getting fucked by the drunk code.

The saddest bit was the rest of the unit watching helplessly while my uber-buff dwarf in his nice armor was tickled to death by the soldiers, a couple of them offering condolences over OOC.

Really?  That long ago, and no one knew that (spoiler) happened?  Or that (spoiler) or (spoiler)?  Well damn guess I wasn't as important or meaningful as I thought so.. Must not've been that big a (spoiler).

Quote from: CravenMadness on July 29, 2011, 11:36:52 PM
Really?  That long ago, and no one knew that (spoiler) happened?  Or that (spoiler) or (spoiler)?  Well damn guess I wasn't as important or meaningful as I thought so.. Must not've been that big a (spoiler).

I was hanging around for it. What I didn't know was that PCs were Dragonthrall (I thought they were all staff-run NPCs or poseurs pretending to be Dragonthrall) or that other thing was plausible and actually happened.  Mainly, what you wrote concerning the gemmed was a massive spoiler for me.

Meh.  Considering the things that were happening in game at the time, I doubt it was that far-fetched.  Or that it would likely ever happen again.  The -possibility- is always there.  This is role-play.  Especially when you happen to be in a position to gain attention.  As I was.  So I ran with it.  Perhaps my own ignorance of what 'can' or 'can't' happen, effected the outcome in my naivety.  Pardon, and I have edited things.

I'm looking into the future of this thread, and all I see is Nyr.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

>disarm mantis best.buddy
>aw man

Probably deaths to wandering uber-mobs...bahamets, mekillots, and black beetles, ever since the defense nerf and reeling went in.

It's far too easy to get pwned by some completely irrelevant NPC, nowadays.  It's pretty fucking frustrating.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Lost a great character to a carru.

The fight was totally one sided: my character hadn't been hit and the carru was pretty close to death.  Then the carru hit my character with a successful charge.  Followed almost immediately by a successful bash.  Then a reeling blow to the head.  Nothing I could do but sit there and watch my character die through 15-30 seconds worth of stun.

Quote from: Synthesis on July 30, 2011, 12:37:00 PM
Probably deaths to wandering uber-mobs...bahamets, mekillots, and black beetles, ever since the defense nerf and reeling went in.

It's far too easy to get pwned by some completely irrelevant NPC, nowadays.  It's pretty fucking frustrating.

Play a warrior.  8)

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 30, 2011, 01:41:10 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on July 30, 2011, 12:37:00 PM

Play a warrior.  8)

Meh, even warriors get randomly pwned in the sub-10-day range.

Before I had my long-term maxed-out warrior, I had a clone of him with exactly the same stats who got reel-locked by a carru at around 5 days.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

You'd be shocked how many people die to bash or hunting mobs. The game isn't really forgiving if they show up at the wrong time. It's an even bigger surprise how many killings are attributed to PCs that was really just an NPC being generated with a lucky stat roll.

Never underestimate the carru

We had a "Worst Death-Ever" thread, at one time.

It got locked.

Just saying.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

My most disappointing death ever was when I was PKed by a group of PCs that seemed to be really decent roleplayers, but everything about trying to actually RP the scene went wrong. It was a scene that we'd been leading up to for several weeks, something I'd known was gonna happen but was curious as to how they were actually going to drop it on my PC.

My character was paralysed, so I couldn't emote. Then night fell, so I couldn't see who was doing what or whether they were targeting me or somebody else.

Then it was like... welp, okay, you're dead. They tried. When I read over the log I still can't make heads or tails of it. It could have been a TRULY EPIC scene, given the circumstances, but instead it was several minutes of somebody doing something with their something to your something. Your HP goes down. Somebody somethings.

Nothing against the folks who killed me since I know they tried their best... but it was kind of a let-down because I feel like I missed out on some great stuff because of that darkness.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Being too full to eat the tablet that would cure the poison that was slowly killing my (to this date) longest lived and most awesome character ever.

Character with AMAZ-AZ-ING stats was hunting with buddies. Fairly new. Was riding our inix out to kill beetles. When the HUGE beetle walked in I didn't want to type kill beetle because some characters were riding war beetles. I typed kill HUGE instead. Go figure, Inix have the keyword huge. Whoops!

Was a nobody pc, but I'm still bummed that those stats went bye-bye.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I took a year+ break from the game a while back, not realizing that since I had not been playing there was a significant change to geography.  So I'm cruising over the dunes, scanning my look scroll for creatures, not room descriptions.  So I took a bit of a tumble bringing me from 130hp to below -10 instantly.

Yet the most depressing death is the meaningless one and the whole time you were doing what led to your death you fucking knew better than to be doing it.  But you were bored or feeling lucky or just wanted to give your pc something to brag about.

Quote from: roughneck on July 31, 2011, 09:00:00 AM
Yet the most depressing death is the meaningless one and the whole time you were doing what led to your death you fucking knew better than to be doing it.  But you were bored or feeling lucky or just wanted to give your pc something to brag about.

This. Too many times.