Depressing Death?

Started by Recharge, July 29, 2011, 08:58:43 PM

It's such a sad complicated issue. On one hand, it's a good idea not to involve the "heavy guns" like employers and nobles into your little problems. On another hand ... nobles are very often bored out of their minds and would appreciate a little extra content. I've had my employers pissed off to shits when at some point my character starts blabbering at all kinds of conflict and plots that he's been into and finished, and they were not part of.

On another hand. Before RF became the power house with their own camp. It always amused me how raiding some salarri brought every mundane and non mundane, human and non human, legal and non legal clan on me.

Admittedly, it was also very fun.

Musashi made one.

Are clans too nice to their minions? Derail from Depressing Death

We can now resume discussion of depressing deaths.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

June 04, 2012, 10:58:36 AM #327 Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:01:20 AM by RogueGunslinger
When I was still pretty new to the game I decided to make a warrior thug character. I wanted to mug people, so I got clubs to knock them out, and ended up joining on with the Guild somehow(as a southsider too). So I convinced this one character who was obviously new to the game that I had a lucrative business proposition for them...they just had to follow me to this conveniently un-crimcoded place called the 'Rinth. In which I attacked said newbie and my warrior brought them to a withheld mercy blow in a few combat rounds.

My character is all badass picking through his stuff like he doesn't care, when an elf happens along and steals the coins right out of his hands. All the while I'm talking to this person about how I was affiliated with the guild so there'd be trouble, then suddenly -ding- poor noobie dies. It was extremely out of the blue for me because I though I'd just knocked the poor guy out with my clubs.

Then I felt guilty for picking on someone who was newbish to the game for like, an entire year and didn't kill anyone(outright) for a long time. I still get depressed when I think back that I didn't get any loot, and maybe caused some poor nub to either leave the game or never trust anyone again.

My first gemmer was in the Copper Wars.  That was pretty awesome. He got gemmed, went to the temple, and started looking around. He did not even spend an hour in the temple before a templar showed up and said, "you have just volunteered."

He had many adventures.

In one adventure, he wandered away from the camp (stupid breed) and got lost for days in a storm. He walked into a gith camp, and managed to flee. He managed to kill a snake (barely) with a dagger, and wandered all the way to Luir's on foot.

On another adventure, he was targeted for death. It was a very brief adventure. Beep!

That was a depressing death.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I had a pretty awesome (I thought so anyway) halfbreed warrior. She was starting to get pretty ugly in combat. Entered some contast at a festival in Tuluk and won a horse. A couple of days later, my internet connection dropped out while I was on the north road, near the span. I log back in at -1- hitpoint, fighting a carru. I immediately reacted, and typed flee, and then south, to try and get away from it. Unfortunately my character fled UP a cliff side, then south off of it. Splat. My wife still mocks me for this, 3 years later, because that day she'd told me not to play (because she wanted attention).

First death is very depressing indeed!
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: hatchets on June 06, 2012, 04:13:02 PM

Reroll and welcome to Arma.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

:'( The one I had today because I could have avoided it and knew better and died before similar many times. It's all about knowing I could have chosen different.

I have so many I've stopped counting. I'm such an idiot sometimes when I get bored, which is a lot......and its my fault there to...which adds to the depression.......*sooooob* *sniffle*
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: janeshephard on June 06, 2012, 04:18:07 PM
Quote from: hatchets on June 06, 2012, 04:13:02 PM

Reroll and welcome to Arma.

Not even sure what to play now lol, least it makes writing the end of a character report easy, (He died the end.) Was just in the middle of putting one together for him, bah! time to think up a new idea, still depressing just started to like that one
Life sucks, then you die.

On one of my first characters (I think a year ago, if not he didn't last long anyways) I was this elf in the 'rinth. I'd just fought someone and got them under my control, I decided to drag them somwhere to loot them. I looked at the person and saw that she still was holding weapons, so I think "Hmmm, I should disarm them".
>disarm
What I hadn't realized is that command initiates combat, and the person died. That was depressing.  :-[
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
  --  Andrew Jackson

Sometimes, it's depressing when you don't die along with people and your character gets to deal with being forever alone all of a sudden, except not really. Still, it's depressing.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Eriad on June 06, 2012, 04:59:48 PM
On one of my first characters (I think a year ago, if not he didn't last long anyways) I was this elf in the 'rinth. I'd just fought someone and got them under my control, I decided to drag them somwhere to loot them. I looked at the person and saw that she still was holding weapons, so I think "Hmmm, I should disarm them".
>disarm
What I hadn't realized is that command initiates combat, and the person died. That was depressing.  :-[

That actually is really depression.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on June 06, 2012, 05:47:36 PM
Quote from: Eriad on June 06, 2012, 04:59:48 PM
>disarm

That actually is really depression.

Aww shucks. If you have someone subdued or unconscious...can you just 'steal' the weapons out of their hands?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

If someone is unconscious they drop the items in their hands.

If you want get take someone weapons away when they're subdued try roleplaying it out, as I don't believe there's another way, other than disarm, of course..

Steal should probably work.

Quote from: Yam on June 08, 2012, 10:52:25 AM

Is subdue code like unconscious code? Where you can't fail a steal attempt? If so, then yeah, probably.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 08, 2012, 10:57:55 AM
Quote from: Yam on June 08, 2012, 10:52:25 AM

Is subdue code like unconscious code? Where you can't fail a steal attempt? If so, then yeah, probably.

Yes, I think so.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I'm glad we're all so sure :P

Steal auto-works on unconscious, however it can still initiate criminal code.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

But what about subdued people?

And what exactly are the differences between steal incriminating on unconscious/conscious people? I could swear I've removed things from someone who was unconscious with the militia sitting there staring at me. In a highly vnpc populated room, in broad daylight.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 08, 2012, 11:31:23 AM
But what about subdued people?

And what exactly are the differences between steal incriminating on unconscious/conscious people? I could swear I've removed things from someone who was unconscious with the militia sitting there staring at me. In a highly vnpc populated room, in broad daylight.

Stealing from someone who is paralyzed or knocked out is very easy to do, but there is still a chance that guards/populous will notice and incriminate you for it.  It's slim, but it's still a chance.  Stealing from someone who is just 'asleep' is easy, but not nearly as easy as someone who can't resist.  Having 'nosave steal' on makes it always succeed and no chance of any incrimination.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on June 08, 2012, 11:29:05 AM
Steal auto-works on unconscious, however it can still initiate criminal code.

Don't you always get the echo about creeping up on your target? That's what always confused me. I didn't know if it was OK to steal from someone I knocked out, or not.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Presumably it's not okay with them, but what are they going to do about it?

There is some stealth involved.  You are still trying to be furtive about it.  If a proper authority notices, you can be incriminated, but that is a pretty slim chance.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff