New player, question about skills

Started by Yoman, July 08, 2011, 10:00:51 AM

I hate to spoil your skilling, but I've only had one character exceed three weeks in my first two years of Arming, and that was because I didn't let her leave her city or get her into trouble in the city. That would end whatever you're attempting to do, but the good thing about that is you can attempt to master something new which you couldn't with the dead character.

remember that some races are smarter than others, though I think the only true variation from the wisdom norm in stats anymore is the half-giant. humans are supposed to have the greatest variation in stats or something, its in the docs, though I'm not sure a human AI can be smarter than an elf AI, and even if they could, I imagine something about the human ability for detriment would balance it in another stat. i like not knowing :3
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on July 11, 2011, 07:05:28 PM
I like not knowing :3

And not knowing is half the battle! YO JOE!
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Humans are the most widely "varied" race when it comes to just about everything. And as every scientist will tell you, variation allows the cream to rise to the top.

Thus, humans are better than every other genetically STAGNANT race of thieves and slaves.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Yeah, like it's been said, that little skill indicator is indicative of a range. So, if forage started at 5 and went to 50 "points", it would be something like
1-12 novice
13-25 apprentice
26-38 jman
39-49 advance
50  master
Note: I'm just shitting these out of imagination land.

So, even in moving from beginner apprentice to top end apprentice, your skill has still doubled. You are getting better, that notch is just a nice little thing to grin at when you first notice it. You're still only 1 point higher than when you checked your skill list half an hour ago.

Also, you'll notice improvement in salt foraging more from your average haul than your skill list. Personally, when I've played salt foragers it's been like: First it takes me two day-long trips to fill one bag of salt. Next, I can get a bag per day. Next, I can do a bag and a half in a day and so on.

As a side note, combat is the stuff that takes forever to budge. (I suspect combat skills have far larger point values, and take more to learn from.) Rightfully so, considering that combat IS the game-ender skill set. Even a bynner may take 5 days played, sparring EVERY day, to budge a combat skill a single notch. So, don't be dismayed if you feel like a weak little punk. :P

We used to not have those little indicators, and we had to just b-bop along and guess how good we were. I swear, staff only added them to cut back on the load of "Am I mastercraft yet? ..... How about now?" emails.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Another useful tidbit - skill ranges are based on what the highest is for any class, not just yours.

For example, as a ranger your slashing weapon skill may max out lower than a warrior slashing weapon skill. So, with a ranger, you may only achieve "advanced" in a lot of combat skills. However, no other class will land master ride or skinning as a ranger will, because rangers are the guys who are masters at that shit.

So, your skills are basically competing against the highest class, and if it doesn't SEEM like a major, class specific skill, you'll probably never "master" it. If you have questions about which skills you can/can't master, just read the help files for the main classes. They give brief examples of what each class is able to do, and it's pretty easy to correspond that to a skill.

Quote from: From assassin helpfile
Assassins are expert killers, skilled in dealing swift and deadly blows to their victims. Among the other talents of an assassin, he/she can move without being heard, hide easily in the shadows, and employ a variety of thrown darts and small sharp weapons in order to strike at his/her enemies from a distance.
This paragraph is pretty obviously referring to backstab, sneak, hide, and throw. More likely than not, assassins are the masters of those skillz to which every other class will be held in comparison.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Alright, cool. Thanks for the info, tips, hints, experiences and opinions everyone! :D
I'm GMT+8, 12 hours ahead of EST.

QuoteYeah, like it's been said, that little skill indicator is indicative of a range. So, if forage started at 5 and went to 50 "points", it would be something like
1-12 novice
13-25 apprentice
26-38 jman
39-49 advance
50  master

Almost but not quite right.

QuoteYeah, like it's been said, that little skill indicator is indicative of a range. So, if forage started at 5 and went to 50 "points", it would be something like
1-10 novice
11-20 apprentice
21-30 jm
31-40 advanced
41-50 master

Fixed it for ya.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job