What is your character's alignment?

Started by MeTekillot, June 04, 2011, 10:59:06 PM

June 05, 2011, 03:20:00 PM #25 Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:39:40 PM by Kalai
Quote from: Bilanthri on June 05, 2011, 03:07:39 PM
Yea, I have that book too. There is a reason that the paragraph you have quote is followed up by nine more paragraphs before continuing into a detailed set of examples. Glancing at the surface of the ocean and saying you understand it does not do justice to the depths below.

True, but when you look into the abyss the abyss looks back into you, or such. Analyze the ethical alignments thoroughly and they're not even opposed... I'm mostly citing those statements because they support the idea that alignments are not necessarily internal matters, and you can have lawful half-elves or chaotic dwarves without much difficulty.

Lawful and Chaotic are trying to describe two things. Relation to society, and personal consistency/code/strictness of behavior. A machine is lawful by the second part (hence Mechanus). A judge tries to be lawful by the first part. The two aren't really related at all...but the alignment system tries to describe both.

On that note, my character's alignment is probably actually traditional-collectivist-nonsystematic somethin'-or-other.

My first really enjoyable character was quite simply Lawful Good. Gotten NG and TN too.

Quote from: Kalai on June 05, 2011, 03:20:00 PM
True, but when you look into the abyss the abyss looks back into you, or such.

Other than an attempt to match metaphor, I'm not sure how this relates.

Lawful and Chaotic are trying to describe two things. Relation to society, and personal consistency/code/strictness of behavior.

And there's the rub. Society is not a strictly defined group. A gang of thieves is a society, and, within this group, they are capable of acting Lawful. However, the City Watch would heartily disagree.

As for my character, I currently play a decidedly Lawful Neutral. Rigid in personal values, and driven to uphold the tenants of -his- society. Anyone outside of this structure is judged based on how close to his societal norms they come.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Quote from: Bilanthri on June 05, 2011, 03:42:07 PM
True, but when you look into the abyss the abyss looks back into you, or such.

Other than an attempt to match metaphor, I'm not sure how this relates.

Lawful and Chaotic are trying to describe two things. Relation to society, and personal consistency/code/strictness of behavior.

And there's the rub. Society is not a strictly defined group. A gang of thieves is a society, and, within this group, they are capable of acting Lawful. However, the City Watch would heartily disagree.

As for my character, I currently play a decidedly Lawful Neutral. Rigid in personal values, and driven to uphold the tenants of -his- society. Anyone outside of this structure is judged based on how close to his societal norms they come.

I thought it safest not to expand on the metaphor. Just ignore it for now.  ;)

Certainly true on society not being a strictly defined group, and that tenants of them may come into conflict. Therein lies fun.

Quote from: Kalai on June 05, 2011, 03:57:40 PM
Therein lies fun.

Heh...Fun, as defined by Dwarf Fortress.  ;)
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Chaotic Neutral, i'd say.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Lawful neutral.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Lawful good, probably? I'd say I most commonly play true neutrals.

True neutral, though the DM's probably going to make me change it to Lawful Neutral soon enough

Fuck you, Smite evil! ^_^
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: Xagon on June 06, 2011, 05:28:09 PM
Fuck you, Smite evil! ^_^

Ugh...my old gaming group would always get into long-winded debates over whether Smite Evil worked on mortals who effectively adopt their alignment as opposed to supernatural creatures who are intrinsically tied to it.

Yes, Smite Evil will work on a demon, but does it work on the demon's evil, yet completely mortal/mundane servants/thralls?

Dammit GM, you never have us fight demons...why did I make this stupid paladin then?
- Samuel Clemens

Chaotic Immortal
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.

chaotic good-looking.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

True Neutral.

It's harder than it looks.

And yes, I did see you doing that.

I'm just not going react.

Yet.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Chaotic good.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Neutral boring.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

lawful moody
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Neutral Complicated. my favorite flavor. and so far, i've only had three people completely misinterpret who my character is supposed to be at any time, which, with the incredible amount of miscommunication and misinterpretation in the game, wins, i think.

bored of simple? people are smart. go complicated!
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

neutral good to some, chaotic evil to others... so I guess true neutral because it sits in between?

Quote from: Akaramu on June 09, 2011, 10:56:58 AM
neutral good to some, chaotic evil to others... so I guess true neutral because it sits in between?

I think that's just called 'chaotic evil.'
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.