Author Topic: Article: Making a PC and the HRPT  (Read 2384 times)

Taven

• Helper
Article: Making a PC and the HRPT
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
Making a PC and the HRPT

The HRPT  of December 6th, 2009 has no official IC name that covers it for everywhere in the Known. This is the HRPT that lead to the third moon, a black moon, in Zalanthas. In Tuluk, it is often referred to by the local events that occurred, mainly "The Flood". In Allanak it might be called the coming of the fire mountain, or the darkness. It has also been referred to as the Chaos or the Cataclysm. What your PC ultimately decides to call it is up to you, but it is certain that no matter where your PC lived, they would have seen the effects of the HRPT, or had their lives changed by it. This is a guide to understanding what occurred in the HRPT and making PCs with rich history that involves it.

The events of the HRPT started on Cingel, the 37th day of the Ascending Sun, In the Year of Jihae's Agitation, year 56 of the 21st Age. This is also known as the year 1596.

Allanak HRPT Events

• The world trembled and groaned, it seemed as if the very earth was in pain.
  • A large shape crossed the sky, a huge shadow that was tinged with light at its edges as it moved towards Suk-Krath, Lirathu and Jihae.
  • The world shuddered and went dark. Silence reigned supreme for a short time.
  • In the darkness moisture fell. Small droplets fell to the world below, rain came to the Known World.
  • After a short time, the light rain ceased.
  • The world remains dark.
  • The streets are dangerous, angry rioters are setting fire to buildings.
  • A group of commoners converged on the Azure Dragon tavern, and blaming the gemmers and nobles for the misfortunes, burned it down
  • Nobility and Gemmers have retreated behind closed doors.
  • Mobs are gathering oustide Temples.
  • The world remains Dark.
  • The darkness is lifted. A new moon hangs in the sky, it's form black and emitting no light.

The darkness ended in the hour of high sun on Yochem, the 51st day of the Ascending Sun, in the Year of Jihae's Agitation, year 56 of the 21st Age.

During this time, the crisis is seen to be over and commoners are generally encouraged to celebrate. While claims differ, a common claim is that the darkness was His Shadow, and that it was brought forth suddenly to protect Allanak from a northern offensive. The moon in the sky is a gift from Tektolnes, and is given to bear his name. For awhile all seems well, until people start to get alarmed. A force of Tor and militia gather at the west gate, with something claimed to be on the other side.

A loud rumble starts somewhere to the southeast, growing louder as the earth trembles and shakes before a massive explosion is heard. From the southeast comes thick, rolling black clouds tinged with red, dropping hot, choking ash over the city. The rumbling does not cease, and small burning rocks begin to fall from the sky. The clouds are so thick as to dim Suk-Krath, and the ash makes it hard to breathe, clogging lungs. Explosions start to occur, and burning rock rains down from the sky. People begin screaming and panicking. Sometime during this, huge beings formed of fire enter the city and attack. The force at the west gate is destroyed. In the aftermath, fire elementals are fought in the streets of Allanak, and eventually a militia-byn force leaves the city to drive them back.

• There seems to be a new mountain in the southwest.

The eruption of the volcano caused two of Allanak's three farming villages to be destroyed. This causes the famine in Allanak, already caused by the occupation of the Giants in Red Storm East, to worsen. Your PC may or may not know the various attempts to address this, and that is best found out IC.

Tuluk HRPT Events

• A large shape crossed the sky, a huge shadow that was tinged with light at its edges as it moved towards Suk-Krath, Lirathu and Jihae.
  • In the darkness moisture fell. Small droplets fell to the world below, rain came to the Known World.
  • The darkness is lifted. A new moon hangs in the sky, it's form black and emitting no light.

The darkness ended in the hour of high sun on Yochem, the 51st day of the Ascending Sun, in the Year of Jihae's Agitation, year 56 of the 21st Age.

The western portion of His City has been flooded by wave after wave of murky water crashing in from west of the Scaien Gates, leveling the less-sturdy buildings and leaving thousands dead and dying across Tuluk.  Muddy streets, sinkholes, carnage, and humidity assault the senses of those that venture out into the affected areas. After the initial flood, corpses of drowned citizens could be found scattered throughout the city. They started to rot, causing plague and sickness.

The aftermath of this was the complete destruction of the halfling race, and shortly afterward the Kyrl moving in to the Grey. In the city, many buildings were destroyed, including the Sun King's Sanctuary. The Grey was wet, leading to rot and various strange fungus cropping up. Details about the Grey and what has been done since to repair and rebuild Tuluk should be found out IC.

Other HRPT Events

In the deep wastes during the darkness, all of the normal, natural patterns were disrupted.  The animals were jittery and acting unpredictably, some dangerously so... because it is not-ending dark.  Some of the sparse vegetation of the Zalanthan eco-system  started to wilt and droop in the inky, no-Krath-anywhere-anytime dark.

In Luirs and the surrounding areas winds kicked up and tore at people and buildings and strange creatures caused damage and death.

I hope that this Article will be helpful to players trying to make new PCs that incorporate these events. Most of the information is from the HRPT Happenings and Updates thread. Some of it was added based on my own experience. I do not believe that anything added reveals any IC information. I'd like to be able to get a more detailed look at what happened in Tuluk but do not post any IC sensitive information here. Please, please, PLEASE do not. If you have absolutely any sort of doubts about such a thing, then do not post. Also please refrain from any other speculation on effects and the like.

Feel free to post any comments here.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:53:34 PM by Taven »
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

musashi

• My YouTube Channel
Re: Article: Making a PC and the HRPT
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »
Nice  :D
Quote from: i can haz mantis
Random Thought: Don't argue against Musasushi because.... really... you lose.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Musashi, I hate it when you're right. ;)
Quote from: Nyr
I redacted the whole redacted.

Lizzie

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »
It's also important to consider, that in real-world time, this is the second HRPT in the past four or five years. Add at least 30 "game years" to the age of anyone currently alive, and you will know whether or not any PC still alive, would have remembered the last one. If they were only 2 years old when the last one happened, it isn't likely they'd have any memory of it at all. If they were 30, they'd be at least 60 now and subject to whatever memory lapses that Zalanthans have when they age.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
It's also important to consider, that in real-world time, this is the second HRPT in the past four or five years. Add at least 30 "game years" to the age of anyone currently alive, and you will know whether or not any PC still alive, would have remembered the last one. If they were only 2 years old when the last one happened, it isn't likely they'd have any memory of it at all. If they were 30, they'd be at least 60 now and subject to whatever memory lapses that Zalanthans have when they age.

I think you're referring to the Gith War? If so, that's an entirely separate subject from this article. My main challenge with the title is that there is no single IC name that describes all of the events. However, I clearly define which RPT I am talking about in the first paragraph.

Nice  :D

Thanks!  :)

Lizzie

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:14:27 PM »
No I'm talking about the HRPT that involved the re-formation of the Elan Pah which was *also* referred to as a cataclysm, and a time of chaos, that involved the fire mountain (before the recent HRPT laid claim to it, the current form is a modified version of the previous, which appeared during that previous HRPT)...

Edited a second time to explain: there have been incidences where people challenge each others' memories of events, IC, in-game. But it seems like there's some confusion as to -which- events they're asking about. If they say "do you remember what happened over there when that thing happened?" And something even MORE significant happened, prior to the most recent thing that happened..it is entirely possible that they're talking about the original thing..but their PLAYER'S memory puts it as a lot more ICly recently than it truly is.

And so, my concern is that the *players* understand the HRPT you're talking about, is the one that happened only in the past 2 years, and not the one that happened closer to 5 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:19:48 PM by Lizzie »

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
And so, my concern is that the *players* understand the HRPT you're talking about, is the one that happened only in the past 2 years, and not the one that happened closer to 5 years ago.

I added a line. "This is the HRPT that lead to the third moon, a black moon, in Zalanthas."

Barzalene

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
The Nakki moon.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Lizzie

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »

I added a line. "This is the HRPT that lead to the third moon, a black moon, in Zalanthas."

Awesome. Perhaps if you added the real-time year..you have the whole in-game timing down..since this is about players, creating characters, it'd be helpful to players to know how much -real- time has passed, so they can place their characters at the appropriate age. So their human can say, "When I was a little girl" or "I must've been knee-high to a tregil when..." or "I was already an old man, at the time.."

Having a real-time reference point I think is pretty important.

Other than that I really love the article, and the summary. Luir's would -also- have seen that black moon by the way..I think that was universal.
Maybe you could add one summary to the top, above Allanak - that says "What EVERYONE would have experienced." And have the moon, and powerful storms, and darkness, be on that list. And then each location have its own list as it has now, with things that were experienced only in or around those locations.

Taven

• Helper
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 09:56:19 PM »
Awesome. Perhaps if you added the real-time year..you have the whole in-game timing down..since this is about players, creating characters, it'd be helpful to players to know how much -real- time has passed, so they can place their characters at the appropriate age. So their human can say, "When I was a little girl" or "I must've been knee-high to a tregil when..." or "I was already an old man, at the time.."

Having a real-time reference point I think is pretty important.

I think the IC year is more useful for this, since people can use the clock on the main Armageddon page to do the  math much more easily. If you notice, I did bold the IC time. However, I also added the RL date now. I'm not sure if it makes it a little clunky or if it's really needed, but it's there.

Other than that I really love the article, and the summary. Luir's would -also- have seen that black moon by the way..I think that was universal.
Maybe you could add one summary to the top, above Allanak - that says "What EVERYONE would have experienced." And have the moon, and powerful storms, and darkness, be on that list. And then each location have its own list as it has now, with things that were experienced only in or around those locations.

I considered doing it that way, but decided that I liked this way better. I added a timeline to the "other places" and the moon.