Author Topic: Things that made you happy today.  (Read 1051401 times)

triste

Re: Things that made you happy today.
« Reply #16875 on: June 25, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »
my favorite undergrad professor just had a nice talk here:
https://www.econtalk.org/kimberly-clausing-on-open-and-the-progressive-case-for-free-trade/

The last time America had a budget surplus -- more than a decade ago -- she was an economic advisor to that president.

I am indebted to her in part for the success in my career, and for allowing me to realize early that blind polarization is the death of intellect.
will do my best to maintain https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/, message me if something there needs an update.

Shaydee

« Reply #16876 on: June 25, 2020, 01:41:00 PM »
Aghh, my husband and I are buying a house? Something I never planned on doing until at least after he retired from the Military?? I am super excited and yet at the same time UTTERLY terrified. As someone who has never lived in one spot for more than three to four years, the idea of buying a house is SUPER fucking intimidating. But also I can just imagine how nice it will be to have something that is OURS (also I want to build a chicken coop and have chickens.) Ughhh, if all goes well we close in August sooooo fingers are crossed, shaking with a mix of fear and excitement, but crossed nonetheless!!

Also

I might be able to find a stable job and go back to my normal life before 2019.

Got the job, and I hope I can re-stabilize my life again!

Yay congratulations and good luck Barsook! Hope everything goes well!!

Black Flag

« Reply #16877 on: June 25, 2020, 02:18:24 PM »
Aghh, my husband and I are buying a house? Something I never planned on doing until at least after he retired from the Military?? I am super excited and yet at the same time UTTERLY terrified. As someone who has never lived in one spot for more than three to four years, the idea of buying a house is SUPER fucking intimidating. But also I can just imagine how nice it will be to have something that is OURS (also I want to build a chicken coop and have chickens.) Ughhh, if all goes well we close in August sooooo fingers are crossed, shaking with a mix of fear and excitement, but crossed nonetheless!!

Congratulations & Best of Luck!!

Make sure you check with the City or wherever you're buying to see what they allow for chickens.

We thought it was 6-8, but found out it was TWENTY!!

The kids LOVE having twenty chickens!! (plus an outlaw turkey named Thanksgiving)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:02:24 PM by Black Flag »
Quote from: Anne Bonny to "Calico Jack" Rackham
I am sorry to see you here, but if you had fought like a man, you needn't be hanged like a dog.

th3kaiser

« Reply #16878 on: June 25, 2020, 03:06:32 PM »
We just bought and closed on a house Monday. It is terrifying! I've been absurdly stressed. Fun fact, we already got broken into this week (people knew it was empty I guess) and the A/C crapped out. HUZZAH!

Insigne

« Reply #16879 on: June 26, 2020, 03:32:02 AM »
Congrats to you guys with your chickens and houses!

I got a raise! I'm happy to be working the job I have in general. It's been a super rewarding experience.

Barsook

« Reply #16880 on: June 26, 2020, 08:51:17 AM »
Also

I might be able to find a stable job and go back to my normal life before 2019.

Got the job, and I hope I can re-stabilize my life again!

Yay congratulations and good luck Barsook! Hope everything goes well!!

Thank you!

Congrats to you guys with your chickens and houses!

I got a raise! I'm happy to be working the job I have in general. It's been a super rewarding experience.

Congrats!

It seems that luck is on our sides!

triste

« Reply #16881 on: June 26, 2020, 01:13:57 PM »
I teach for my side job and one of my students built an RPG character builder with perks. because it was similar to my guild picker here in terms of the code libraries used we basically both demoed and worked on our apps together.

I love it when love for a positive and creative hobby begets more innovation and creation.

I love it when girls learn to code despite a world that has tried to tell them they can't.

I love it when tired and harmful narratives are broken by and replaced by new and more nuanced ones.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 01:16:24 PM by triste »
will do my best to maintain https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/, message me if something there needs an update.

Barsook

« Reply #16882 on: June 30, 2020, 01:31:41 PM »
My bag matches my bike: https://imgur.com/a/NEoXtJ7

Gentleboy

« Reply #16883 on: June 30, 2020, 03:31:05 PM »
doing big group chats on discord always make me happy.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #16884 on: June 30, 2020, 05:32:45 PM »
A D&D Twitch show that I watch, CriticalRole, has been in hiatus since COVID-19 really got bad and will be resuming their program on Thursday.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #16885 on: July 01, 2020, 07:41:38 AM »
A D&D Twitch show that I watch, CriticalRole, has been in hiatus since COVID-19 really got bad and will be resuming their program on Thursday.

I am so fucking excited for this to be back. Losing 4 hours of entertainment a week has been awful while being stuck indoors.

5 Hours if you count Talks Machina.

Hauwke

« Reply #16886 on: July 01, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »
I imagine they at the very least considered moving to all digital for a little while, I wonder why they didn't and just stopped.

Insigne

« Reply #16887 on: July 03, 2020, 03:38:00 AM »
My bag matches my bike: https://imgur.com/a/NEoXtJ7
Hehe. Love the aesthetic! I got myself a folding bike mostly for transportation purposes during the lockdown, but going out to bike before the rush hour hits has been super nice.

Barsook

« Reply #16888 on: July 03, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »
You are lucky that you live in a urban area. Me? Suburbs and it's no fun. The only good thing is that I can at least bike to the local park and in other subdivisions. The bad? I live in a hilly area.

Insigne

« Reply #16889 on: July 03, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
Sucks. I was kinda digging the idea of being able to bike casually without taxis trying to run me over, but I wouldn't do great on hilly areas.

On another note, snagged a book I've been eyeballing for a while at a bargain. It's out of print and hard to find nowadays. The seller threw in a couple related books for free, which is cool. I'm excited to get them in the mail!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 11:50:39 AM by Insigne »

triste

« Reply #16890 on: July 06, 2020, 10:09:55 AM »
My stock portfolio is up 60% [some thousands] over the past 365 days. Going to sell a bit in case things get shaky again.

I was told girls couldn't do math growing up. That was wrong.

I was told latins are lazy growing up. That was wrong.

I grew up in poverty and could have believed the people who told me that growing up, but I am glad I didn't 

triste

« Reply #16891 on: July 06, 2020, 10:18:42 AM »
How fucking embarassing, I did the math wrong, my portfolio is up 91.47% in the past year.

DesertT

« Reply #16892 on: July 06, 2020, 10:20:29 AM »
My stock portfolio is up 60% [some thousands] over the past 365 days. Going to sell a bit in case things get shaky again.

How fucking embarassing, I did the math wrong, my portfolio is up 91.47% in the past year.
::) :o ;D
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

triste

« Reply #16893 on: July 06, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »

::) :o ;D

lol love ya DesertT -- a person who has made me happy today [this morning, already!]

DesertT

« Reply #16894 on: July 06, 2020, 03:06:35 PM »

This cracks me up because you were TOO LAZY to edit your own post!!!

::) :o ;D ;D ;D

*bkiss*

triste

« Reply #16895 on: July 06, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »

This cracks me up because you were TOO LAZY to edit your own post!!!

::) :o ;D ;D ;D

*bkiss*

I don't mind being roasted by you because you're totes benign, just like you are in game <3

DesertT

« Reply #16896 on: July 12, 2020, 07:03:21 PM »
When THIS SONG Came Into My Head:

SHABAGOOOOOO!!!  Let the rhythm take you over!!
SHABAGOOOOOO!!!  Te quiero amor mío.
SHABAGOOOOOO!!!  Gonna live this night forever!!!
SHABAGOOOOOO!!!  Te quiero amor mío, te quierooooo....

Tonight we dance....
(Whoa, oh oh oh) Like no tomorrow!!
(Whoa oh oh oh)  If you will stay with meeeeeee....
Te quiero, mi amor

Ourla

• My Art Blog
« Reply #16897 on: July 12, 2020, 11:20:47 PM »
I bought a fancy motorbike and I'm gonna ride that bitch 300+ miles to the beach and back to camp out next weekend.
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #16898 on: July 12, 2020, 11:33:11 PM »
People really told you that girls couldn't do math, Triste? Seriously?

LOL.

People are dumb.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

triste

« Reply #16899 on: July 13, 2020, 12:43:30 AM »
People really told you that girls couldn't do math, Triste? Seriously?

LOL.

People are dumb.

It's more that my mother wasn't allowed to enroll in engineering courses as a woman not that long ago, but that has less of a snappy ring to it and is some depressing, real ass discrimination. It's more a lifetime of having to work and argue twice as hard to be credible, as my fellow data engineers / statisticians who are female can attest, but that doesn't get the point across succinctly. Some of my fondest memories are of girl's science club in middle school, but our reward for being in that club was being harassed by the entire school; but I am happy to have endured the shit memories so that I could have the good memories. So no, I didn't hear directly what I said there -- perhaps, it's likely I did hear it but on this GDB triste always has to put a hand on the fucking bible.

Edit: made my rant smaller and cleaned up the last part i don't want to sound hostile I am just TIRED OF POLITICS.

Edit edit: and yes I did actually hear in words an implication that women are not good at math. But per usual it is complicated and it was a chat with my then ex girlfriend [transfer student from shanghai then studying undergrad math, she now has a masters]. She was asking me if I felt taking testosterone made me better at math. So yeah that implies she thought gender or hormones had some bearing, or was curious if it did. Perhaps this question is a result of internalized sexism, why else would it occur to anyone?

Edit edit edit: Seriously though with all the deleted posts that I apparently missed today, can people not bring up gender or race or whatever the fuck anymore for at least 20 hours or something. I am pro free speech but I NEED A BREAK FROM THE POLITICS.

This shit is so embedded in my life and real that when you all bring it up on my damn gaming community it makes me wail like Gollum apparently. No mas.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:20:40 AM by triste »