Author Topic: Things that made you happy today.  (Read 625242 times)

Akaramu

Re: Things that made you happy today.
« Reply #16550 on: February 06, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »
Behold, this actual image from real life:

...when did Moe become an astronaut?  :o

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
« Reply #16551 on: February 06, 2018, 07:26:57 PM »
why

Marauder Moe

« Reply #16552 on: February 06, 2018, 08:47:14 PM »
It's a dummy in the suit.  But a real car.  In space.

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
« Reply #16553 on: February 06, 2018, 09:37:32 PM »
but why

BadSkeelz

« Reply #16554 on: February 06, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »
Advertising
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

boog

« Reply #16555 on: February 06, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »
in case aliens find it and they're like, "where the fuck did this thing come from?"
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #16556 on: February 06, 2018, 11:30:48 PM »
You're testing a brand new heavy lift rocket design.  You give it a 50% odds of blowing up.  Do you take a payload of a ton of scientific instruments costing millions more that could have zero return value in case of failure?  Or just weld your $100k car to it and guarantee publicity gains for both your space company and your car company, regardless of outcome?

Alternatively, you're a billionaire and possibly an early-stage super-villain.  Do you do the world's most expensive publicity stunt in history for shits and giggles or... not do that?

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #16557 on: February 07, 2018, 12:21:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure he got the idea off twitter. It's brilliant either way.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Miradus

« Reply #16558 on: February 07, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »

It was brilliant, but I'm also wondering if it's also somewhat irresponsible.

If it really was a full car, there's everything from lugnuts to a side fender which can come off in a collision and add to orbital space debris. A lugnut traveling at orbital velocity impacting some satellite is not going to be pretty. A shattered windshield puts up a cloud of dangerous debis for probably a thousand miles.

So was it a stripped down car where they thought of all this? Or did they put it in an orbit which will assure complete reentry disintegration in a day or so? Or did they just say "fuck it, we do what we want" and clutter up space with their publicity stunt?

He had to send SOMETHING up or it's just another rocket launch. And I bet nobody would have been too impressed with just weights. The car was probably the most brilliant way to prove their concept, and get free marketing. But, hey, now there's a car up there.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #16559 on: February 07, 2018, 01:07:20 AM »
I dunno.  I bet that car is a lot sturdier than most satellites.

That said, it's initial orbital insertion looked higher than most satellites go, and the eventual plan is an elliptical Solar orbit reaching out to the distance of Mars' orbit.  This is not going to be a space debris hazard.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #16560 on: February 07, 2018, 04:51:17 AM »
Didn't they shoot the car to Mars? So it's not going to be threatening our satellites (Which will inevitably be destroyed anyway by some Russian or Chinese derp not tracking theirs or deciding now would be a good time to blow one up).
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Melkor

« Reply #16561 on: February 07, 2018, 01:43:18 PM »
Behold, this actual image from real life:

God, I love that. So much.

I also love gun-hauls.
Picked these up for ~1/4 of their value. They all need a little no-cost tlc, after which I will resell most of them.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Miradus

« Reply #16562 on: February 07, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »
I dunno.  I bet that car is a lot sturdier than most satellites.

That said, it's initial orbital insertion looked higher than most satellites go, and the eventual plan is an elliptical Solar orbit reaching out to the distance of Mars' orbit.  This is not going to be a space debris hazard.

It's a Tesla Roadster, isn't it? Certainly better than my beatup Toyota pickup. Shit falls off my truck just getting out of the driveway.

Information I'm seeing now states what you guys did ... it's on its way in a long elliptical swing around Mars. Maybe Musk will pick it up in a few years and be driving it around the Martian colony. :)

BadSkeelz

« Reply #16563 on: February 07, 2018, 10:17:08 PM »
Turns out he put too much boom in it and the Roadster is on its way to the Asteroid belt.

Also solar radiation and micrometeorites are going to reduce it to an aluminium shell in a year or so. Or so I've heard.

Aruven

« Reply #16564 on: February 09, 2018, 01:49:05 AM »
Hostiles might be the best movie i've seen in awhile!

Akaramu

« Reply #16565 on: February 10, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
I renegotiated my payment for editing projects and succeeded. I'll be getting three times more from now on.  8)

Miradus

« Reply #16566 on: February 12, 2018, 02:13:43 PM »
Yesterday I saw a bucket of fish chum fall off the back of a truck at 60 mph. Six cars got splattered. Epic.

Akaramu

« Reply #16567 on: February 20, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »
Tried out a new recipe (spicy broccoli with cream cheese) from the interweb and it's my new favorite mostly veggie dish. Mixed in a little bit of sliced Vienna sausage instead of the listed bacon. Added mixed thai veggies to the mix.

Also, I'm amazed to discover I can actually cook!  8)

Grapes

« Reply #16568 on: February 20, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
Holy SHITBALLS, really? (the car thing)... I need to look this up.

Today I ordered a, Area 51 Threadripper with a curved, wide monitor and some 200 dollar Turtle Beach surround sound gaming headset. Since my Asus is almost bricked, it will be a welcome addition to my living space... and I'll, probably mostly use it to play MUDs anyway (has happened in the past). The rep on the phone keyed in some extra coupons to go with the President's day sale, and managed to throw in a keyboard and mouse for free. For once I will get to have a very nice thing.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #16569 on: February 21, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »

Today I ordered a, Area 51 Threadripper with a curved, wide monitor and some 200 dollar Turtle Beach surround sound gaming headset. Since my Asus is almost bricked, it will be a welcome addition to my living space... and I'll, probably mostly use it to play MUDs anyway (has happened in the past). The rep on the phone keyed in some extra coupons to go with the President's day sale, and managed to throw in a keyboard and mouse for free. For once I will get to have a very nice thing.

Add me on steam  Powerfulenemy profile will show Caryhard
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Grapes

« Reply #16570 on: February 22, 2018, 07:03:24 PM »

Add me on steam  Powerfulenemy profile will show Caryhard

Yuss, soon as it comes in the mail I will. Probably going to take another headlong charge at Diablo 2 just for nostalgia's sake, kind of miss speed-running, magic finding, runefinding, and crafting weird custom gear with the horadric cube, then I'll probably try to reacquaint myself with my true passion, realistic FPSs, and if I feel like just downloading for two weeks straight, maybe some DCuniverse online, for some PvP mayhem.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Melkor

« Reply #16571 on: February 24, 2018, 09:37:11 PM »
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.