What if..?

Started by NOFUN, March 18, 2011, 07:53:34 AM

Quote from: FantasyWriter on April 28, 2011, 07:01:41 PM
>use sifter
You trip and fall face first into the shallow, but still-deep-enough-to-drown-you silty sand.
<mantishead>

What is someone else posted a cool answer to, "What if every skill had a critical fail that resulted in injury to the PC?"

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on June 30, 2007, 05:39:36 AM
>necksnap amos

You try and snap the tall, muscular man's neck but fumble and snap your own!

Welcome to Armageddon!  '(mantishead)

What if it was possible to send anonymous way messages, and everyone could do it?
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on April 28, 2011, 07:06:07 PM
What if it was possible to send anonymous way messages, and everyone could do it?

No one would ever play an f-me again.

What if you took every instance of "solo RP" in the recent discussion thread and replaced it with "anal sex?"
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

Quote from: Ocotillo on April 28, 2011, 07:37:57 PM
Quote from: Taven on April 28, 2011, 07:06:07 PM

What if you took every instance of "solo RP" in the recent discussion thread and replaced it with "anal sex?"

What if your pc emoted biting everyone they didn't like?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on April 28, 2011, 07:46:04 PM
What if your pc emoted biting everyone they didn't like?

The flamboyant templar exclaims in sirihish:
      "Kiss my boots!"

The tall muscular man kneels, then suddenly darts around the flamboyant templar, teeth locking into his ass in a mighty chomp!

The half-giant soldier exclaims in sirihish:
     "That's not a kiss!"

The dirt-haired soldier guy lets out a very girlish giggle.

The flamboyant templar howls in rage and pain!

What if there was a PC red robe templar who only kanked ugly people missing limbs?

Quote from: Taven on April 28, 2011, 08:13:05 PM
What if there was a PC red robe templar who only kanked ugly people missing limbs?

Be a lot of limbs tossed somewhere in a pile west of Tuluk, and kryl would learn to come there. If they came early, they could eat whole soldiers, too. That templar would single-handedly but only moderately at best, depending on his hormone level, increase the kryl population.

What if the Silt Sea went away, leaving ground, knee-high or at highest, shoulder-high silt all through the sea?
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on April 30, 2011, 03:22:48 AM
Quote from: Taven on April 28, 2011, 08:13:05 PM

Be a lot of limbs tossed somewhere in a pile west of Tuluk, and kryl would learn to come there. If they came early, they could eat whole soldiers, too. That templar would single-handedly but only moderately at best, depending on his hormone level, increase the kryl population.

What if the Silt Sea went away, leaving ground, knee-high or at highest, shoulder-high silt all through the sea?

I actually meant a red robe Templar as in an Allanaki Great Lord Templar, who are generally referred to as red robes. Jihaens also have red robes, of course, but they're not generally called red robes. Finally, a Tuluki templar is sort of limited in who they can kank, and those people wouldn't get their limbs cut off.

To answer your question... The silt horrors would have nowhere to hide anymore, but instead of dying out, they'd pretend to be small islands on which your tired PC could rest. This would work well, until a tentacle wrapped around their leg and proceeded to pull them under. Skimmers would be easier for anyone to pilot, because you could just push them while walking. They'd be primarily a place to rest and regain stamina, but pushing them around would drain an extra 1 stamina per room. Also, we'd see a lot more giants. Red Storm proper would get infested with them, and then they'd start hassling grebbers. Mainly by accidentally stepping on them when trying to tame mekillots for mounts.

What if Tektolnes decided to compete with Muk Utep, and instead of having a Grey Hunt that made nobles, he had a Black Hunt that made templars?

I'm bored. Thus, I am writing a long post. Luckily, I am not doing another version of "It's Friday" for a different clan.

Taven's What If Answers - Page #1
(Based on this thread)

How different would the IG world be if muls were able to breed?

Well, it depends on if you're assuming that they were always able to breed, or if they suddenly gain the ability to breed.

If they were always able to breed: The ability to breed doesn't equate to freedom. Due to their psychology and power, the vast majority of muls would still be enslaved. Dwarves, for example, are able to breed on their own and yet 65% of dwarves in Allanak and Tuluk are slaves. Muls would be much the same, only due to the danger of their rages, this percentage would be even higher. City states would likely keep very close tabs on muls and it might even be illegal for two muls to reproduce. Thus, houses like Borsail and Winrothol would still exist. After all, just because muls and reproduce doesn't mean that their breeding would be the best, or that they would have the training to maintain control. Likely, these houses would push to control muls as much as possible, or even enslave all muls. These attempts would both fail, as such a verdict would make both houses too strong.

If they suddenly gained the ability to breed: Borsail and Winrothol would both initially take massive hits. In the south, this would cause a scramble by House Kasix to take up mul breeding. Borsail and Kasix would both put strong pressures on the Templarate to clamp down on any "wild" mul breeding. This might lead to a conflict with Storm, but it would be abandoned due to Storm being a primary source of food. It might later cause a war if Allanak's food crisis was ever solved. Meanwhile, Oash would team up with Kasix to plot the fall of Borsail, already weakened by the loss of their estate in the Gith War. They might get enough support to de-House Borsail as a House, and spread the remaining members up amongst the other Houses. This would cause huge chaos, and the ultimate result depends on Borsail's remaining political power. It would cause a lot of interesting political role-play.

What if braxat were a playable race?

Quote from: helpfile for braxatThese large, dangerous beasts resemble something akin to a half-giant,
but far more bestial. They walk bipedally, and their clawed hands are
capable of wielding weapons. However, a thick protective shell covers their
backs, pushing them forward into a ghastly hunch, and their hides are thick
and tough. Being vaguely humanoid looking creatures, they are prized in the
arena; a common initial attack is a charge with their horned heads lowered.

This would have a significant impact in tribal relations. It would also be a karma race, and have rich documentation. It would lead to lots of debate on the GDB, accusations of improper RP, and staff loving this clan too much. So, pretty much it would just be like any other feature of the game.

What if the 'rinth was hanging off of Tuluk's ass instead of Allanak's?

Quote from: what you know - The labyrinthlife is a constant struggle in the 'rinth. Resources, food, and money are scarcer here than in any other city in the Known World. Naturally, this leads to "competition" for whatever is available in the alleys. As the militia of the city do not dare enter the alleys, this desperate competition can take the form of threats, intimidation, or outright violence. This is not to say, however, that all 'rinthers are psychopathic mass-murderers. Creating a 'rinther character does not give you licence to go on a killing spree through the alleys. If a lone person was to gain such a reputation it is likely that he or she would be dealt with by a number of "concerned citizens". Wild gangs do indeed roam the streets but the majority of inhabitants are just trying to get by - however they can. Murder is an everyday occurrence but far more common activities are scavenging, stealing, pick-pocketing, mugging, scamming, black market/spice dealing, etc. Although much of the Allanaki economy has gone underground and the 'rinth is where many of the city's small to medium-sized business contracts are negotiated, this knowledge might not be well known to the average inhabitant. What is evident, however, is that money does trickle into the alleys and at least some of the residents can afford an ale or two occasionally in a local alley tavern.

If the Rinth was in Tuluk, it wouldn't be able to do illegal spice deals. It would also arguably be harder to do contracts over killing people, since this is legal in Tuluk provided you register properly. Arguably a rinth-like place did work with UnderTuluk, somewhat, but I think that the dynamics are very different (I could be wrong?). Since you already have legal sneakies and shadies, they'd inevitably get into the Labyrinth and deal with the not-legal ones, and be paid by the Faithful to do so. Arguably this could also happen in Allanak and doesn't, but they don't have legalized assassinations, so the rinth serves an important function in that regard. In Tuluk, you might get more rogue magickers in the rinth. Except, I don't see this getting to high levels, because the Faithful would wipe it out. However, someone more familiar with the Rinth and UnderTuluk before it flooded could probably make a better speculation on this one.

What if Qzzrbl, Synthesis, and Yam all had a love child, and it was a halfling raised by Tuluki social standards?

It would be a sneaky who had a really long name and some sort of odd sexual quirk, and would be required to register before killing and eating people with the Templarate. Also, it would be the only halfling in existence, so it would soon collect a legion of crazy dwarves to fight over it. Some would want to protect it, some would want to clone it, some would want to kill it and exterminate the halfling race, while others would want to kill it to preserve it and stuff it. Ultimately a sorcerer played by X-D would get involved, and all of Zalanthas would quake in fear.

What if all the clans that have been closed in the past 5 RL years were reopened?

I don't know what these clans are, however, I speculate that if they were all opened, we'd have more issues with players being too spread out then we already do. Also, it would lead to great fuss on the GDB about imbalance, specific things about raiding tribes and not emoting, etc etc etc.

What if every new PC started with all their starting main guild skills at Journeyman or better?

The GDB would have lots of support, complaint, and input about it. Nobody would bother with joining the byn for training because they'd already have it, causing a large drop in the Byn's population. Many players would appreciate it because it would cause less grind, while others would complain that this made it easier for people to twink and max out their skills faster. Ultimately staff would just secretly buff up NPCs so that your skills were like starting out at novice.

What if Armageddon had a playerbase ten times as large?

Taverns would actually be full on a regular basis, and it would be impossible to sit at a table alone and play the cool/mysterious sort. Tuluk and Allanak would both have another tavern added, and taverns would actually have the proper people volume of the right sort. We'd have more nobles for political role-play, and previously unopened houses would be opened. While this initially seems nice, the x10 factor is actually too much, and everyday would be like an RPT in terms of spam volume. This would cause a large number of people to quit, until things evened out. There'd be an increase in apartments, and on any given day in Luirs or Storm you'd have a full bar. The places with room descriptions that refer to the rare hunter going there might actually have the rare hunter going there, instead of being completely obscure.a

What if Armageddon had a playerbase ten times smaller?

Well, instead of a peak at 50, we'd have a peak at about 5, tops, so there really wouldn't be much life in the game at all. Those five would also probably be at least half staff. We wouldn't have a game.

What if there was a bug that started spawning new characters with steel-toed boots?

I've actually seen a newish character walking around in boots with silver in them before.

<worn on feet>           a pair of black, braxat-hide boots

This pair of sturdy, black-dyed boots has been made from the
tough hide of a braxat.  The soles have been reinforced with a
thin layer of silver to provide support for the feet.  A very
small sheath-like pocket has been sewn on one side of the boots.

I submitted a question request to staff, and they fixed it. Likely, staff would have to spend a great deal of time fixing things. However, responsible players wouldn't act on it.

What would happen if karma went away?

Cindy could finally play an elkrosian, or a mindbender.

What if the mighty Tektolnes in a moment of weakness decided he was wrong and unburied steinel?

Well, everyone would still be dead, or at the very least undead. We'd have a lot of PCs who would go explore it, however. Ultimately, Allanak would just try to take over the space, and it would likely become another part of the city-state. Over thousands of years, it might develop it's own culture and a sort of sub-nobility based off of all the main houses. It could be neat!

What if some tribes of elves had wings?

The city-states would have more people capable of archery, since they'd get a lot of practice with all the crazy skinnies flying over. Also, gemmed whirans would have a much harder time of things like lurking over the tablelands, because you'd have flying elf rangers with super keen eagle eyes to pick you out. They'd use gems like jingle bells.

What is silk wearing by commoners were a capital offense?

You'd get less aides who were draped head to toe in it, and less people hanging out in the Gaj in it. However, a number of groups would take offense, such as the gypsies and Kadius. Ultimately, silk would then have specific rules about how much you could wear and what it meant. It would be like back in the day in England, and simply looking at someone would tell you their exact station and class. Unless they were Fale, because Fales are just troublesome.a

What if all the kanks came back...with a vengeance?

They'd act like a plague of locust. Allanak would be doomed, because it has nothing to eat anyway.

What if the dragon never existed?

Well, early history would be changed, much of Tuluk would never be destroyed, and plots would be significantly different. FIND OUT IC?!

What if half-giants were brilliant?

They'd actually be able to have everything resized for them, and would slowly begin to dominate the city-states. Humans would only win out in the upper tiers of things, since no half-giant could ever be a noble (Hlum half-giants would be forbidden) or a Templar. The sorcerer things would ensure it. However, the Great Merchant Houses would be replaced by half-giants, because they'd slowly subvert everything and gain control. Also, eventually a half-giant sorcerer would rise and a third city state would be founded. Additionally, everyone would want to play a half-giant.

What if a Mul was born to a free dwarf who raised the Mul similarly free (keeping it from the cities)?

Well, it would behave pretty much the same. Psychologically speaking, it would have all the same issues. It would have a bondmate, like a set schedule, have the potential for rages, and not be inclined to differ much.

What if female dwarf, mul and half-giant PCs were as common as the males?

People would still heap lots of gifts upon them, to try and lure them to bed. Also, the attempts to get large orgies would be more common. However, you'd also have some dedicated female players who refused to accept gifts, or did a role reversal, and gave males gifts. Ultimately, however, they would be the minority, and earth-like customs would continue to seep in to Zalanthas because male PCs would continue to want to be layed, and female PCs in a Zalanthian way, would be willing to scam them and play them for all they're worth.

What if mudsex were coded?

People would pre-type emotes to fit it all in to the 10 min RL time slot and they'd also prioritize endurance. Sexual ability would be a skill you grew more proficient in, and many players would demand to start off better then "novice" because a 20-year old PC would have had prior sexual experience. Staff would allow bumps based on role-play logs, which some players would refuse to submit, and others would gleefully submit doing the nastiest things possible.

I may do page two later.

Quote from: Taven on May 30, 2011, 11:09:44 PM
What if a Mul was born to a free dwarf who raised the Mul similarly free (keeping it from the cities)?

Well, it would behave pretty much the same. Psychologically speaking, it would have all the same issues. It would have a bondmate, like a set schedule, have the potential for rages, and not be inclined to differ much.

Not all muls have bondmates. It's a conditioning technique that's not even used by all mul-makers in the Known.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

*chuckle*

You can purchase a license for an assassination in 'nak just as easily as you can in Tuluk, there's just slightly less tradition regarding whether they'll respect the agreement post-deed.

Or is there?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Arguably a rinth-like place did work with UnderTuluk, somewhat, but I think that the dynamics are very different (I could be wrong?).

They dynamics, as you put it, were different in some ways, similar in others.  Undertuluk wasn't a cauldron of the downtrodden, brimming with crime. It was a sparsely populated sanctuary for the overly mutated mutants, abominable, insane, and nonconformists.  A question you should ask yourself is -- why did the Sun King allow this place to exist?

QuoteExcept, I don't see this getting to high levels, because the Faithful would wipe it out. However, someone more familiar with the Rinth and UnderTuluk before it flooded could probably make a better speculation on this one.

Find out IC :).

Quote from: Ocotillo on May 30, 2011, 11:31:13 PM
Not all muls have bondmates. It's a conditioning technique that's not even used by all mul-makers in the Known.

I decided to re-look at the question again, and get into more detail about a variety of things, directly referencing the docs. This is useful to me, since I've never played a mul and originally, I answered the question mostly off of memory of the docs (which is definitely imperfect). I address your comment on bondmates first, and then get into the rest of things.

Quote from: mul role-play docsThough they may be any age or gender, bond mates are frequently human. These people you inevitably trust and protect. Often, these are other slaves you were raised with, as a half-sibling, and who rely upon you for protection. Sometimes they are introduced to you as a reward or out of convenient serendipity. Sometimes they are slaves who you are paired with to assist in your tasks. Bond mates frequently return genuine kindness or even love to their muls. The loss of a bond mate is traumatic, and it may have happened to you at one point during your life. This rarely happens as a form of punishment, because loss of a bond mate can ultimately break a mul's conditioning. Bond mates are not replaced quickly, probably because it erodes the mul's ability to bond with a subsequent bond mates.

This is all I could find for a mention of mul bondmates in the docs (although I may have missed something). It is from the what you know if you grew up as a mulish slave page. This would seem to imply that the vast majority of muls have bondmates, since it doesn't cover much for alternatives. I don't know about the special and secret training methods of Borsail and Winrothol, however. I would have to find out IC (as would anyone else reading this), unless someone can provide a link to some public docs that I missed.

Quote from: mul racial role-play docsRoleplaying: Being sterile, and thus outside of the typical chain of reproduction, muls often suffer from a sense of meaninglessness. This is compounded when they learn (often too young) that they were born as a tool or bargaining chip. This tends to make many muls into angry people, full of distrust and hatred. However, muls that are able to escape the bonds of both their owners and their depression will almost always make the best of warriors. Many slave tribes and small armies are headed by mulish captains, as their fighting prowess and unusual ability to empathize render them superior leaders.

If muls weren't sterile, presumably they'd have less of a sense of meaninglessness, although if they were still kept primarily as slaves, they might retain it (because they'd never have a chance to do anything else, or it was extremely unlikely that they would). However, there's the possibility that they would retain more of a dwarven sense of things if they could procreate, and be more stubborn and maybe absolutely crave a family. If so, a bondmate technique might continued to be used in slavery, and occur outside of it.

Quote from: mul role-play docsIt is important to understand how others view muls before creating one, for this is often what will dictate what tasks they are bred for. Muls are not people. They may be regarded as property, or as skilled tools, but it is seldom, if ever, that civilized persons would regard a mul in the same way as a freed person of any other race.

This would be different, I think. Muls would still be largely regarded as tools, but they wouldn't have the same you-are-only-ever-a-slave status. The ability of others to see them as people, potentially, coupled with the ability to reproduce could largely change the mulish race as a whole, especially if it had been that way since the dawn of time. However, presumably muls would be just as hard to originally breed. Maybe instead of muls changing and getting more freedom, you'd just see a larger crack down from the merchant houses. If muls could reproduce, places like Storm could really be a threat, over time. Then again, between the fall of the Empire of Man and the rise of the city states, there would be a lot of time for muls to have been on their own and reproducing. Likely you'd have mulish tribes and the like. That's assuming that they always had the ability to reproduce, in our revised history. If they suddenly gained it, it would take at least a few generations for the mulish psychology to change, I'd think.

Quote from: mul role-play docsIndeed, because of their perspective and their breeding, muls are some of the most empathic creatures on Zalanthas - they are terribly sensitive both to their own emotions and those of others because emotions are not something they are allowed to understand. Some muls will become withdrawn or even depressed. Others will become angry or unpredictable. Some might show inappropriate senses of humor or reactions to emotional situations. This is what lends to the perception that they are unpredictable. They lack the social norms of other races, and the intensity of their reaction causes very visible results.

Couple the facts of their existence with the absence of a racial culture. Too flexible of mind to enjoy their dwarven kin, but too mystified by the creativity of their human kin to compete on anything but a physical level, they cannot claim a common heritage. And muls have no history or heritage of their own. There are no mul fairy tales. There are no mul superstitions. The only friends they have are functional, either as methods of control or means of survival. In their quest for identity, there are no sources of answers. A mul does not even know his or her parents, much less grandparents. In fact, if a mul knows the origins of its birth (not all do), it learns that its mother was not a loving mother, but a mother whose child was forced on her as a death sentence. To be born, a mul has to kill its own mother.

While so repulsive at face value, the mullish identity of 'slave' is often the only source of personal identity for them. Without it, they are lost. This statement is more dramatic to a mul than other slaves, due to their empathic nature. It is this state that most often prevents most muls from having the motivation to actively seek liberation from slavery. While they are repulsed by the thought of being an identityless tool, they cannot see things to identify with in the outside world.

In our senario, the whole mulish race wouldn't be enslaved (assuming they always had the ability to breed) and there would be mul stories and tales. They wouldn't have to kill their mothers to be born. Ultimately, I think I take back my previous statement; the ability of muls to reproduce would actually completely change their psychology and ultimately they would be a completely different race then the one that we have now.

Quote from: mul role-play docsThe inability to ever fit in, the curse of always being other is the tie that links every mul to its anger and unpredictable nature.

If they could reproduce, I don't think muls would always feel like the other, and thus the link to their anger and unpredictable nature would be broken.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 30, 2011, 11:38:34 PM
*chuckle*

You can purchase a license for an assassination in 'nak just as easily as you can in Tuluk, there's just slightly less tradition regarding whether they'll respect the agreement post-deed.

Or is there?

You can have a templar's approval to do an assassination, and you can definitely be hired by a Templar do to an assassination, but I'd argue that this is very different from purchasing a license over it. I'm not familiar with playing assassins in either city state, but it seems to me that the entire thought process about it and how it is regarded is different. As you say, there's a different context. In Allanak, I imagine things could vary wildly from Templar to Templar, where my impression is that in Tuluk there's a more uniform approach to things, although I assume it is still based on an individual templar's discretion.

Quote from: number13 on May 30, 2011, 11:42:13 PM
Arguably a rinth-like place did work with UnderTuluk, somewhat, but I think that the dynamics are very different (I could be wrong?).

They dynamics, as you put it, were different in some ways, similar in others.  Undertuluk wasn't a cauldron of the downtrodden, brimming with crime. It was a sparsely populated sanctuary for the overly mutated mutants, abominable, insane, and nonconformists.  A question you should ask yourself is -- why did the Sun King allow this place to exist?

QuoteExcept, I don't see this getting to high levels, because the Faithful would wipe it out. However, someone more familiar with the Rinth and UnderTuluk before it flooded could probably make a better speculation on this one.

Find out IC :).

I think that someone could probably still make a better generalization or educated guess without revealing IC info on the issue. I also think that unless I play a Lirathuan or Jihaen, I'm more likely to find out whenever it is that Arm 2 comes out, assuming that they release the sekkret Arm 1 docs. I can't see any other character learning about it, really. It's always possible, of course, it just seems very unlikely.

Finally, this is sort of amusing:

Quote from: what you know - the labyrinthThis is not to say, however, that all 'rinthers are psychopathic mass-murderers. Creating a 'rinther character does not give you licence to go on a killing spree through the alleys. If a lone person was to gain such a reputation it is likely that he or she would be dealt with by a number of "concerned citizens". Wild gangs do indeed roam the streets but the majority of inhabitants are just trying to get by - however they can. Murder is an everyday occurrence but far more common activities are scavenging, stealing, pick-pocketing, mugging, scamming, black market/spice dealing, etc.

Quote from: what you know - UndertulukThis is not to say, however, that all Undertulukis are psychopathic mass-murderers. Creating an Undertuluki character does not give you licence to go on a killing spree through the tunnels. If a lone person was to gain such a reputation it is likely that he or she would be dealt with by a number of "concerned citizens". Wild gangs do indeed roam the tunnels but the majority of inhabitants are just trying to get by - however they can. Murder is an everyday occurrence but far more common activities are scavenging, stealing, pick-pocketing, mugging, scamming, mining, etc.

Obviously, they are the same place! (Kidding, kidding)

Quote from: Kalai on May 31, 2011, 08:40:56 AM
*looks to Brave New World* Hmm...

???

Merged these two topics as they are directly related (as indicated by the OP of the new topic), therefore no need to have two topics.  It's fine if you want to make super long posts, just don't clutter up the GDB more than it is already cluttered.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

license
–noun
1. formal permission from a governmental or other constituted authority to do something, as to carry on some business or profession.
2. a certificate, tag, plate, etc., giving proof of such permission; official permit: a driver's license.
3. permission to do or not to do something.

purchase
–verb (used with object)
1. to acquire by the payment of money or its equivalent; buy.
2. to acquire by effort, sacrifice, flattery, etc.
3. to influence by a bribe.

Quote from: Nyr on May 31, 2011, 12:09:02 PM
Merged these two topics as they are directly related (as indicated by the OP of the new topic), therefore no need to have two topics.  It's fine if you want to make super long posts, just don't clutter up the GDB more than it is already cluttered.

While they are directly related, I did not originally post here because I consider it a derail. According to the OP of this thread, it should be conducted in a specific way (question-answer, question-answer). I'm not doing that, I'm taking all the previously asked questions, and answering them. I originally posted in Random Arm Thoughts (which may have been a mistake, since it's not so random), and then a mysterious and unknown staffer made it it's own thread (yeay?) before you moved it here. I don't mind it being here (it is directly related, as you point out), but I did have a reason not to do so to begin with. I'm not trying to clutter the GDB!  :)

Quote from: Synthesis on May 31, 2011, 12:18:19 PM
Quote from: Taven on May 31, 2011, 12:04:50 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on May 30, 2011, 11:38:34 PM
*chuckle*

Or is there?

You can have a templar's approval to do an assassination, and you can definitely be hired by a Templar do to an assassination, but I'd argue that this is very different from purchasing a license over it. I'm not familiar with playing assassins in either city state, but it seems to me that the entire thought process about it and how it is regarded is different. As you say, there's a different context. In Allanak, I imagine things could vary wildly from Templar to Templar, where my impression is that in Tuluk there's a more uniform approach to things, although I assume it is still based on an individual templar's discretion.

license
–noun
1. formal permission from a governmental or other constituted authority to do something, as to carry on some business or profession.
2. a certificate, tag, plate, etc., giving proof of such permission; official permit: a driver's license.
3. permission to do or not to do something.

purchase
–verb (used with object)
1. to acquire by the payment of money or its equivalent; buy.
2. to acquire by effort, sacrifice, flattery, etc.
3. to influence by a bribe.

Yes, but you can use the same word with different definitions to mean different things.

Sanguine
1. Blood-red
2. a: consisting of or relating to blood
   b: bloodthirsty, sanguinary
   c: of the complexion : ruddy
3. having blood as the predominating bodily humor; also: having the bodily conformation and temperament held characteristic of such predominance and marked by sturdiness, high color, and cheerfulness
4. confident, optimistic

If I try to make a PC that's the "sanguine, yellow-eyed man" then staff will reject it if I'm using sanguine to mean cheerful, confident, or optimistic. They would accept it, however, it it meant he was a blood-red or ruddy hue.

As you can see, things can use the same word, but have different definitions. In our case, I'm arguing that a formal system of purchasing (#1) a license legally (#1 or #2) is different from "purchasing a license" with the definitions you are using. You can argue that they have the same effect (IE, you still get to kill the dude with permission), but I'm arguing that the way it is viewed and it's effects are different. If you bribe a soldier to sell something on the side (I'm talking merchant tokens now), it's different then if you buy an official legal token for it. I think on this one, you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

You're doing it wrong!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

What if John Lennon was born in Allanak/Tuluk/Luirs?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on May 31, 2011, 02:15:20 PM

> imagine would be a coded function.

What if you could no longer sell obsidian in Tuluk and wood in Allanak for obscene value multipliers?

Quote from: Synthesis on May 31, 2011, 02:20:32 PM
What if you could no longer sell obsidian in Tuluk and wood in Allanak for obscene value multipliers?

Everyone would roll tailors and point Red Storm.

What if a warrior had such a high bandage skill that he could actually heal himself to full hp from mortally wounded? (assuming, of course, that he was such a tuffguy that he could still move)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 31, 2011, 02:20:32 PM
Quote from: lordcooper on May 31, 2011, 02:15:20 PM

> imagine would be a coded function.

They'd  adapt.

What if dwarves were the dominate race and ruled the cities instead of humans?

What if people posted without following the rules of this thread?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

What if what?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

What if people deleted/editted their posts to make other posts confusing?

Damn it.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.