Author Topic: Template for a Character Report  (Read 1253 times)

Saellyn

Template for a Character Report
« on: March 11, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »
Does anybody have a template for a character report that is easy to fill out, is not confusing, and wouldn't mind sharing with me ^^?

Nyr

• Red Fangs
Re: Template for a Character Report
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »
Hi, me again, report time.

If I CC someone other than my usual clan/unclanned staff:

I CC'd this clan or this group because of this (brief phrase).  See details below.

Summary
* category 1 -- stuff in this category includes related items such as minor event, minor event, minor event
* category 2 -- stuff in this category includes related items such as minor event, minor event, minor event

* category 1
                       ---- minor event -- details of this event.

etc.

I use this format, I dunno if it's best or not, but I like it as it is easy to organize my own thoughts as well as the doings of my character.  Later, I can modify the minor events and toss them in as biography entries.  I bold or embiggen or highlight things that need staff response or are particularly noteworthy.  If at all possible, I make sure I rarely (if ever) need staff response, but when I do, I am clear about what I'm looking for.

That's about it for me.
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

DesertT

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »

(Initial Greeting Here, Lame Excuses about not getting in much play time)

Character Name: Amos
sdesc: the krath-tanned, ivory-skinned man

Closures from Last Report:
1. So and so dead, so this plot is done or diverted.
2. I'm here now; no longer there, so this has dropped off completely.

1st Major Issue/Concern:  The big thing going on in my character's life.

2nd Major Issue:  The next big thing or significant thing.

3rd Major Issue:   Totally Optional, depending on what your character has going on and whether or not I address it down below.

Personnel Issues:
Lord Templar Slayer: Amos is going to report to Lord Templar all that he heard from his tribal contact concerning such and such threat in the sands/grass.
Silky Legs of GMH: Ordered this item from her.  It's been weeks since last contact.  He's tried this and that.  Wants to bed her... 
Dirty Necker of Some Clan: Been trying to acquire such and such on the sly through this contact, doing this or that, this is what we've come to so far.
Lady Sugar-Britches: Amos has begun taking up some tasks from her since so and so isn't really working out.
Lady Templar of the North/South: Amos suspects they are trying to get him to spy for them, blah blah blah
Joe Dirt (Amos' Closest Friend): Did this and that for them, they gave me this and that in return.  Really helping me out...
Grebber Sids/Pearl/Monte: No real change

Various/Random Incidents:
1. Amos did this with these people and it was significant because...
2. Seems there's been a lack of exterior mental influence in Amos' life right now, for which he is thankful.

IC Tasks Accomplished (Not already mentioned above):
1. Blah.
2. Blah.

IC Tasks Assigned (Not already mentioned above):
1. Find this person
2. Find out if this person can do that
3. Find a dependable so and so
4. Find such and such item

IC Missions/Goals (Not already mentioned above):
1. Amos is going to do this for the House/Clan.
2. Amos is working on this too.
3. Something else, I'm running out of censored ideas.

Personal Goals:
1. "Certain Skill" lessons/practice!!
2. Learn/Branch how to something.
3. Compose/Write this.
4. Gambling lessons.

OOC:
1. Please pay attention to this part here as I'm asking for clarification or some kind of support.
2. Same as above.

Hope that helps.

Saellyn

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »
I can see myself copy-pasting these, sending them, and then going "... Oh shit, that's not my character!"

Cutthroat

• Helper
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 01:17:08 PM »
A decent heading:
<PC name>'s Character Report (3/5 - 3/11) (assuming the last time I sent a report was 3/4 and today is 3/11)

Then a table of contents:
1. Introduction/questions.
2. Relationships with other characters.
3. Personal plots.
4. Plots my PC is involved in or started.
     A. Plot one.
     B. Plot two.
     C. Plot three... etc, etc.

The body:

Part 1 is an introductory sentence or two, and a summary of all the questions or things requiring staff input, so they're unmissable, right at the top. Parts 2 and 3 basically discuss how roleplay has been with other important characters to your PC, as well as internally with your own PC. You may ask the staff to see more detailed info in the plots section. You might also include another part for employees if you're an employer. The Plots part just names the plots that have been going on and describes them.

So as a really rough example:

Amos von Amossen's Character Report (3/1 - 3/8)

3. Personal plots.
4. Employees.
5. Plots.
     A. Killing Malik.
     B. Buying some armor.

Hello! No questions today, though I'd like to let you know that I am planning to kill Malik.

Malik always makes fun of Amos' family name and hits on Talia.
Amos is still in love with Talia, although their relationship is on the rocks.

3. Personal plots.

Amos has had dreams of 1000 Maliks chasing him through the streets of Allanak. It has begun to make him paranoid.

4. Employees.

Amos recently hired Dorf the Dwarf to kill Malik, since his focus is to kill all people named Malik.

5. Plots.

A. Killing Malik.

The plan was set in motion to kill Malik, as Amos hired Dorf to take care of him. He was given a poisoned baseball bat and 300 coins.

B. Buying some armor.

Amos is saving 1000 coins to buy some armor from Agent Yarr Salarr in case Dorf is killed by Malik, and Malik tries to target Amos.

hyzhenhok

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »
Hi, me again, report time.

If I CC someone other than my usual clan/unclanned staff:

I CC'd this clan or this group because of this (brief phrase).  See details below.

Summary
* category 1 -- stuff in this category includes related items such as minor event, minor event, minor event
* category 2 -- stuff in this category includes related items such as minor event, minor event, minor event

* category 1

etc.

I use this format, I dunno if it's best or not, but I like it as it is easy to organize my own thoughts as well as the doings of my character.  Later, I can modify the minor events and toss them in as biography entries.  I bold or embiggen or highlight things that need staff response or are particularly noteworthy.  If at all possible, I make sure I rarely (if ever) need staff response, but when I do, I am clear about what I'm looking for.

That's about it for me.

This is basically what I do. The other thing is I make sure to bold keywords so that it can be more easily skimmed.

Saellyn

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
Thanks for all your help, guys, I'll see if I can't tailor some of these to fit my style.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
Mine usually look about like this -

_____
OOC Summary -
1) Title 1
2) Title 2
... add as necessary
IC Summary -
3) Title 3
4) Title 4
... add as necessary
_____

OOC Section

1) Title 1

More detail about title 1 stuff.  Underline main points.

2) Title 2
More detail about title 2 stuff.

IC Section

3) Title 3
More detail about title 3 stuff.

4) Title 4
More detail about title 4 stuff.
Retired from playing, but probably still lurking around somewhere.

Oh and I have a writing blog.

smcdonald

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
The format I've started using is:

Things I Need From Staff:
  • Need 1--short paragraph describing things which require Staff attention (Sometimes I can just say "Nothing")
  • Need 2--...
My Plots:
  • Plot 1--1-5 sentence status update
  • Plot 2--...
In Character:
  • Paragraph describing recent events and activities.  If background is necessary for Needs or Plots above, a paragraph will be devoted to it.  Other paragraphs note other events of interest.
  • Another paragraph...

I'm beginning to think I need a different name for the first section.  It will probably become a section on points that require staff action, but not necessarily that I need a response on.

Zoltan

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:25:52 PM »
Typically, I just have two sections: IC Stuff and OOC Stuff with the occasional Questions if I'm a leader or the question bolded right in the intro if I'm not (my reports are generally shorter when I'm not leadin').

When I'm leading, I'll probably have a Personnel section, too. In each of the sections, I bold keywords and important bits for easy reference. I try to be concise but informative, which isn't always very easy. I do not do tricky formatting. The OOC section is where I generally put my take on things as a player, as the rest of the report is generally treated ICly.

Like some others who posted, I tend to not ask anything at all from staff UNLESS IT'S ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL (and I may even put that in a separate report). This isn't so much because I don't like the staff, but because I want the transfer of information to be pretty quick. Things tend to get muddled and bogged down when you're asking for this, that and the other thing.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples