Author Topic: June Cross Country Bicycle Trip - I need your couches, showers and yards.  (Read 8622 times)

bartenderer

Hey all!

Come June, the day after my college graduation ceremony myself and a buddy are taking our bicycles across country.

If you are interested in hosting two young men and possibly a young woman let me know. We also don't actually need a couch - if you are willing to let us pitch our tents in your yard and perhaps take a hot shower, we would be grateful.

We are all geared up and ready to go. We have not picked all of our cities yet, but we know what states we will be crossing through and have a framework of cities to hit along the way.  As we get closer to the date and when I have more specific cities I will update again. But for right now, I will put up a list of states we are going through.

EDIT: This trip will likely take us three-four months, we are in no hurry seeing as how neither of us know what we want to do post-grad. So, those living further west, I will likely come through around August. Texas folk, you'll prolly see me in July.  July + Texas = Awesome? I hope so.
NY(NYC) -> NJ(Newark) -> PA(Philly) ->

VA (Richmond, Ashland, Mineral, Palmyra, Charlottesville, Waynesboror, Lexington, Buchanan, Troutville, Roanoke, Christiansburg, Draper, Wytheville, Trotdale, Damascus, Rosedale, Honaker, Haysi, Meadowview)

KY (Elkhorn City, Hindman, Hazard, Buckhorn, Booneville, Irvine, Lake Cumberland,  Berea, Harrodsburg, Springfield, Bardstown, Hodgenville, Sonora, Mammoth Cave, Whitesville, Utica, Sebree, Dixon, Marion)

TN (Dover, Waverly, Shady Grove, Colinwood)

MS (Tupelo Mathiston, Kosciusko, Jackson, Port Gibson, Natchez) - this may change greatly.

LA (Norwood, St. Francisville, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Simmesport, Lebeau, Oberlin, Mittie, De Ridder, Merryville)

TX (Kirbyville, Spurger, Kountza, Romayor, Coldspring, New Waverly, Navasota, Burton, La Grange, Bastrop, Austin, Kyle, Lockhart, Blanco, Kerrville, Hunt, Leakey, Camp Wood, Brackettville, Del Rio, Cornstock, Langrty, Dryden, Sanderson, Marathon, Alpine, Fort Davis, Kent, Van Horn, Sierra Bianca, Fort Hancock, Faberts, El Paso)

NM (La Mesa, Las Cruces, Hatch, Salem, Hillsboro, Gila Hot Springs, Silver City, Buckhorn

AZ (Three Way, Safford, Geronimo, Globe, Superior, Apache Junction, Tempe, Wickenburg, Yarnell, Prescotto, Paulden, Ash Fork, Red Lake, Valle, Tusayan, Cameron, The Gap, Cedar Ridge, Marble Canyon, Jacob Lake, Grand Canyon Baby)

UT ( Kanab, Mt. Carmel Junction, La Verkin, Cedar City, Minersville, Milford, Garrison)

NV (Baker, Majors Junction, Ely, Eureka, Austin, Middlegate, Fallon, Silver Springs, Dayton, Carson City, Genoa)

CA( Kirkwood, Placerville, Folsom, Sacramento, Davis, Winters, Vacaville, Fairfield, Vallejo, San Francisco, Oakland Los Angelas)  

That's the bulk of it for right now. These will likely change around a bit when we start digging into the atlas a bit harder.

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:47:33 PM by bartenderer »
The worldly burden of defecation is something I go online to escape.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
I'm about 40-50 miles north of San Diego if you're interested. I live in an apartment, though! More than welcome to take our floor.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

bartenderer

I'm about 40-50 miles north of San Diego if you're interested. I live in an apartment, though! More than welcome to take our floor.

Let's see.... LA is about four days away from SF on a bicycle. But I  am -pretty- sure we will want to see LA (we are both film students). And LA is less than a day from San Diego and even less then from your neck of the woods. We might take you up on that offer good sir. :)

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel

Let's see.... LA is about four days away from SF on a bicycle. But I  am -pretty- sure we will want to see LA (we are both film students). And LA is less than a day from San Diego and even less then from your neck of the woods. We might take you up on that offer good sir. :)
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll be here in the August time period. If not, then obviously that wouldn't work out! Keep me updated and I'll be sure to let you know what's going on with me.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

DesertT

WHY are you riding through the southern parts?

In Nebraska here, come up this way.

:P
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

hyzhenhok

You're stopping in Austin but not San Antonio? Seriously suggest you take the detour.

bartenderer

WHY are you riding through the southern parts?

In Nebraska here, come up this way.

:P

Well I have really old friends I haven't seen since my Freshman year in college who moved to New Orleans which is why I picked south. And my buddy is dying to see the Grand Canyon which is why we are staying south. Maybe I'll swing by Nebraska on my ride back?

You're stopping in Austin but not San Antonio? Seriously suggest you take the detour.

I don't see any reason why I can't make the detour. We have nothing but time. So, yeah. Why not. XD

FantasyWriter

• Tales of Then--Reflections of Now
I JUST moved  a few miles away from Tupelo, MS, but I hope to move back in a month or so.

If not, I would be more than willing to spring for a decent room for you guys to stay in, and enjoy decent beds for a night. :D
Also, there are a handful of local, semi-local armers that might be available for drinks and whatnot.
Greb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

bartenderer

I JUST moved  a few miles away from Tupelo, MS, but I hope to move back in a month or so.

If not, I would be more than willing to spring for a decent room for you guys to stay in, and enjoy decent beds for a night. :D
Also, there are a handful of local, semi-local armers that might be available for drinks and whatnot.

Part of the fun is getting to meet all my fellow armers. I hope we run into each other on this trip.

DesertT

Good idea to ride back through more mid-USA.

Maybe even up to Chicago and then down.

Follow Amtrak's route.

What movie was that where the kid had the bike all fixed up to ride on railroad tracks?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Yam

I live in a tiny ass apartment but I will find a place for you guys if you come through Seattle.

Or maybe I'll just dump you on Goulet :3

boog

I live about 30 miles from the VA border, if you're really in a bind. I don't have a yard, per se, but there's a big lot out back I don't think anybody'll fuck with you in. And there's enough room to pitch it just beyond my back step. I do have a couch with a pull out bed though! I only have one shower, but it is hot. If you come near NC enough, let me know. I'm sure I can cry enough (I'll be big and pregnant then) to make manboog say yes.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

mansa

there is no canada in this list

failbog
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

musashi

• My YouTube Channel
When he said he needed people's yards in the thread topic ... all I could think of was that he was going to poop in them.
Quote from: i can haz mantis
Random Thought: Don't argue against Musasushi because.... really... you lose.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Musashi, I hate it when you're right. ;)
Quote from: Nyr
I redacted the whole redacted.

Ocotillo

When he said he needed people's yards in the thread topic ... all I could think of was that he was going to poop in them.

Olgaris left a strong impression on you, eh?
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

Derain

Skip Oakland CA....

Marc

Oakland is awesome, especially for bikes.  It'll be summer, hot, so just don't ride too close to any packs of white-donned street urchins.  I've seen more than one person punched right off their bikes and mugged in the lower bottoms.  Other than that, do it up!  Read "Phillip K Dicks - Humpty Dumpty in Oakland" and you can have a whole slew of sites and scenes to try and find in the modern landscape.  Enjoy!

I'd suggest you go through northern states on your way home.  South is already gonna be unbearable (you're crossing deserts in June, wtf?) so you might find the rolling plains and their 90 degree temp a nice relaxing change :P  Not to mention the Dakota's are pure primeval beauty.  Getting over the mountains might be a bitch though...
Quote from: Zhaira
I don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: Mansa
Marc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
If getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

bartenderer

Good idea to ride back through more mid-USA.

Maybe even up to Chicago and then down.

Follow Amtrak's route.

What movie was that where the kid had the bike all fixed up to ride on railroad tracks?

No idea what the movie is called. And following the amtrack route back isn't a bad idea at all. It goes through some really beautiful areas and leads me right back to Penn Station NYC. Heh.

I live in a tiny ass apartment but I will find a place for you guys if you come through Seattle.

Or maybe I'll just dump you on Goulet :3
If we end up heading for Vancouver then most definitely gonna swing through Seattle.

I live about 30 miles from the VA border, if you're really in a bind. I don't have a yard, per se, but there's a big lot out back I don't think anybody'll fuck with you in. And there's enough room to pitch it just beyond my back step. I do have a couch with a pull out bed though! I only have one shower, but it is hot. If you come near NC enough, let me know. I'm sure I can cry enough (I'll be big and pregnant then) to make manboog say yes.
I don't think we will be going that far south through VA unfortunately. We kinda make a straight shot west from Richmond straight through to KY. But, if our plans change I will take you up on your offer!

there is no canada in this list

failbog
My buddy and I are trying to decide, either north to Canada or South to Mexico when we finally hit Cali. So Canada ain't off the table yet. Sell it to me, whats up in Vancouver. TJ has got donkey shows, can you beat that? XD

Oakland is awesome, especially for bikes.  It'll be summer, hot, so just don't ride too close to any packs of white-donned street urchins.  I've seen more than one person punched right off their bikes and mugged in the lower bottoms.
Not gonna lie, that sounds like the rinth.

I'd suggest you go through northern states on your way home.  South is already gonna be unbearable (you're crossing deserts in June, wtf?) so you might find the rolling plains and their 90 degree temp a nice relaxing change :P  Not to mention the Dakota's are pure primeval beauty.  Getting over the mountains might be a bitch though...
I think I will. But I plan on staying out in Cali for a few months. Get a job and save up a little so I can fund riding back east. But Dakota sounds beautiful and I will make it out there at some point.

bartenderer

This whole trip reminds me of Oregon Trail. I really hope my friend doesn't die of dysentery and I am totally going to ford the river!

Only He Stands There

I might advise going through Missouri on your way back. There's a great trail that cuts through the state, and as a fellow cyclist I can vouch for its condition. It is usually quite awesome, and gorgeous to boot. In July in Missouri, however, it tends to be hot and infernally humid.

My place is roughly 6-7 miles from the trail, at one point. I would be more than willing to show generous hospitality and Arm-related gossip and storytelling to you. My house is almost always open to Armers, and it is a glorious house, and I am a fantastic host. Anyone who says otherwise is a dick. :D

Qzzrbl

I'm an hour drive south of DeRidder in Louisiana if that's applicable.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
... and I am totally going to ford the river!

Caulk the bike and float.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
I might advise going through Missouri on your way back. There's a great trail that cuts through the state, and as a fellow cyclist I can vouch for its condition. It is usually quite awesome, and gorgeous to boot. In July in Missouri, however, it tends to be hot and infernally humid.

My place is roughly 6-7 miles from the trail, at one point. I would be more than willing to show generous hospitality and Arm-related gossip and storytelling to you. My house is almost always open to Armers, and it is a glorious house, and I am a fantastic host. Anyone who says otherwise is a dick. :D

FACT.

Too bad you aren't coming through Minnesota.  I've got a yard to beat all other yards.  It's that awesome.

Fucking fireflies, yo.  Fucking fireflies.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

Saellyn

... I'm gonna appear at your houses now and indulge in some of this hosting!

X-D

Well, Longest I ever did on a bike I was your age from detroit to miami...flew back:)

Anyway, living in Phoenix, I can say you all are brave to have this line
Globe, Superior, Apache Junction, Tempe, Wickenburg,
In your travel plans, Lot of mountains and 110++ heat in august and if late in the month on into sept we have monsoon season, the tempe to wickenburg leg is specially brutal.

Anywho, I'm on the west side of phoenix, call it the mid point from Ap to wickenburg...If I can get my daughter to move out before then I'll have some space.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Sephiroto

Sounds like might be headed along my way.  I live in Arlington, VA, which is just outside of D.C., and I imagine you'll be biking 295, the Washington-Baltimore Parkway if you come anywhere close to this area.  There are also many bike trails that span VA/MD that might be great for you to ride as part of your trip.  If that is the case, I'll talk to my roommate about letting you and your friend(s) stay over for a night or two if you decided to stop in the area.  I have a ginormous couch that will sleep 2 comfortably, and there is space on the floor for a sleeping bag or blow-up mattress, which I think we can provide if you need room for a third.  You can shoot me a PM if this sounds cool.

JustAnotherGuy

Dude, you should really photo blog this.  It would be rather awesome and I'm excited to hear about your trip and the tales you have from it.  The whole Oregon Trail thing has an idea running for me with how to write it.  lol  Hope you have a fun trip.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

morrigan

Wow...Texas in July..on bikes...you are a brave man sir. Should be close to 110 degrees by then, when you hit the western parts you can pretend you're out near 'Nak.

IAmJacksOpinion

• MySpace

Well I have really old friends I haven't seen since my Freshman year in college who moved to New Orleans which is why I picked south. And my buddy is dying to see the Grand Canyon which is why we are staying south. Maybe I'll swing by Nebraska on my ride back?

Theres a Byn joke to be made here, I just know it!

Quote from: musashi
engaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

spacewars

So where you at?, did you make it to mississippi yet

Kol

Theres a Byn joke to be made here, I just know it!

Code: [Select]
The figure in a shit colored aba speeds in from the west, riding a two wheeled frame.

You think 'Wonder if he knows...'

The figure in a shit colored aba heads east, moving at great speed.

From the east, a piercing scream is heard, before being abruptly cut off.

You think, feeling amused 'Guess not...'

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."